NuBSG on BBCA

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So he can tell me which episode it was, the designer of the suit and if the tie color matched... It still sucked big time!

BTW, I am looking forward to B&C. I just hope there will be some sci-fi in it and not just gratuitous gore and pew-pew.

I'll take that over gratuitous crying and overdone political melodrama any day.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I'll take that over gratuitous crying and overdone political melodrama any day.
LOL.

I really loved the mini-series. Then as I watched the show, it found it interesting at first, but I noticed I started FFing a lot starting in season 2. Season 3 confused me and I had the same feeling as with LOST, i.e. that the writers themselves had no clue where they were going with the show. Season 4 - watched too little of it to make a fair assessment.

If I recall correctly, this board was divided around the middle on the issue of nBSG with about 50% of the members being fans of the series and 50% not liking it at all. Although the substantial majority seemed to agree that it at least started out pretty good.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'm looking forward to this - at least for the miniseries and season one which really got me hooked. I'm sure it will be weird this time around knowing who all the skin jobs are. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Exactly

LOL.

I really loved the mini-series. Then as I watched the show, it found it interesting at first, but I noticed I started FFing a lot starting in season 2. Season 3 confused me and I had the same feeling as with LOST, i.e. that the writers themselves had no clue where they were going with the show. Season 4 - watched too little of it to make a fair assessment.

If I recall correctly, this board was divided around the middle on the issue of nBSG with about 50% of the members being fans of the series and 50% not liking it at all. Although the substantial majority seemed to agree that it at least started out pretty good.

The first season (like many shows) was the best. Some of the episodes were just riveting like "33" which was amazing. But as the seasons went on it fell apart and lost that I-Must-Watch feel that it had.

And you're correct about the writers groping for direction with the show. I think I heard RDM make the claim that they had the story plotted out from start to finish but that was an obvious lie. By the end of the series it became clear they were making it up as they went along. Sure they might have had the first season mapped out but as the seasons continued they began falling back on forced soapish drama instead of good story telling.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. The mini was excellent and so was Season 1. Season 2 started off well but started to tailspin near the end. Seasons 3 and 4 were ridiculous. And they definitely did not have a mapped out series storyline. In fact, the Razor and "The Plan" TV movies engaged in massive retconning to try to make the things they did in the last 2 seasons mate with what they established in the first 2.

G

Graybrew1

I read at syfy that the mini series started last night. I hope I can find this somewhere before next week.

G

Graybrew1

Any others out there watching this? I rewatched the miniseries last weekend and looking forward to the series first ep this week. :biggrin:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Any others out there watching this? I rewatched the miniseries last weekend and looking forward to the series first ep this week. :biggrin:
The mini-series is really good, and does indeed wet the appetite for more. If the first regular episode and even the following seasons deliver, well... that's a different story and actually something I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Although from what I know about your preferences, I suspect you will enjoy the show a lot :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I suspect GB will enjoy Season One and probably the first half of Season Two. Then the enjoyment will wane....

G

Graybrew1

I suspect GB will enjoy Season One and probably the first half of Season Two. Then the enjoyment will wane....

Oh, I have seen them all before. I just wanted to rewatch now that I know everything.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
GB is a fan of SGU and enjoyed the Season 1 slow drama more than any one of us here, so I think she might just like the show even after it became unpalatable for most sci-fi/fantasy purists here.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
GB is a fan of SGU and enjoyed the Season 1 slow drama more than any one of us here, so I think she might just like the show even after it became unpalatable for most sci-fi/fantasy purists here.

Quite possibly. I pegged the "enjoy" line where I did because that was where the show got overly soapy and just started to totally lose focus.

G

Graybrew1

There was a couple of seasons that stunk, but I can't remember which ones they were. I tolerated more than liked some of the writing problems because I was hopeful they were building to something that never happened.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Likely Seasons 3 and 4. The description of building up to something that never happened fits well.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Quite possibly. I pegged the "enjoy" line where I did because that was where the show got overly soapy and just started to totally lose focus.
We are in complete agreement here!

There was a couple of seasons that stunk, but I can't remember which ones they were. I tolerated more than liked some of the writing problems because I was hopeful they were building to something that never happened.
That was one of the major problems with the series! The producers led the fans to believe they had planned something awesome for the series' final seasons and that everything would fall into place once the mysteries of Cobol, Earth, the infamous "Cylons' Plan" etc were revealed. But as it turned out they were only winging it and adding stuff along the way and obviously ran out of ideas/inspiration and into a dead end when they got to New Caprica.

G

Graybrew1

We are in complete agreement here!

That was one of the major problems with the series! The producers led the fans to believe they had planned something awesome for the series' final seasons and that everything would fall into place once the mysteries of Cobol, Earth, the infamous "Cylons' Plan" etc were revealed. But as it turned out they were only winging it and adding stuff along the way and obviously ran out of ideas/inspiration and into a dead end when they got to New Caprica.

I did not the like the jump ahead, I recall that much. The history behind the cylons plan to me is similar to the ancients history of SG. I really was interested to find out the answers to the questions that they set up. I was not happy with the final five, and the ending left two many qestions in my mind too.