Netflix begins to crack

heisenberg

Earl Grey
That is sad. :( The majority of people I hang out with are vehemently independent thinkers and reject all of the slaver tech and social media traps. (Apple and Facebook specifically). The choice is still yours to make...for now, at least. :)
I think it's down to jealously, comfort and people not wanting to go out of their comfort zone to find what they are good at. Some people casually believe that the jobs they do is the best but these jobs suck the creativity and freedom we all possess because these corporations have allowed that to happen. I know you are going to say that life is a lot easier now than before but I beg to differ. Life back then was a lot simpler and you had more choices/freedom and didn't need to get a job and do paycheck to paycheck. Where are these jobs going to be when you are all lonely in a retirement village, depressed, can't see, can't move, are bed ridden, coughing and are sick? Your children if you have any will only take care of you so much until you are too costly to maintain. This is why they shove people in retirement villages. Then eventually you become a fossil locked in eternity of darkness and the void.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
That is sad. :( The majority of people I hang out with are vehemently independent thinkers and reject all of the slaver tech and social media traps. (Apple and Facebook specifically). The choice is still yours to make...for now, at least. :)
Sorry for going dark and serious on the subject but yeah. I really want to write a movie which might raise a few eyebrows.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think it's down to jealously, comfort and people not wanting to go out of their comfort zone to find what they are good at. Some people casually believe that the jobs they do is the best but these jobs suck the creativity and freedom we all possess because these corporations have allowed that to happen. I know you are going to say that life is a lot easier now than before but I beg to differ. Life back then was a lot simpler and you had more choices/freedom and didn't need to get a job and do paycheck to paycheck. Where are these jobs going to be when you are all lonely in a retirement village, depressed, can't see, can't move, are bed ridden, coughing and are sick? Your children if you have any will only take care of you so much until you are too costly to maintain. This is why they shove people in retirement villages. Then eventually you become a fossil locked in eternity of darkness and the void.

Nope, this time I am on your side. :) I think that the "simple" life is superior to the high tech life on some levels. Do you ever go camping? If not, you might consider trying it. It connects you to the planet in a way that part of you will recognize, but you won't know why. Smells from trees or flowers, the sound of wind, the primal nature of fire at night, so many wonderful things we miss.

I would rather live in the wilderness than in a retirement home.

This^

I find myself confounded on a daily basis now by people whose conversational "meat" is to whine about interactions on Facebook or Snapchat or something stupid like that. People get so triggered and rustled by social media crap that it's sickening. Don't these people have jobs that they need to attend to? Why are they so devoid of important things to do that they can devote so much of their day to trivial nonsense?

I thank God that neither my friends or family allows social media to inform their lives. If my friends need to communicate with me they text or call directly. Same with my family except we also have an email group which is basically glorified texting. That's it. I can't think of anything more annoying than chasing people around on Facebook or Twitter, especially people I don't know personally, like celebrities. (Frankly I couldn't give a shit about whatever sensationalist nonsense someone like Elon Musk tweets. That's all that platform is good for -- digital click bait crapola.)

I'm also mystified by people who want to be Youtube "stars" or Instagram "models". How is that even a thing? How can these people afford their rent? Who is supporting them?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This^

I find myself confounded on a daily basis now by people whose conversational "meat" is to whine about interactions on Facebook or Snapchat or something stupid like that. People get so triggered and rustled by social media crap that it's sickening. Don't these people have jobs that they need to attend to? Why are they so devoid of important things to do that they can devote so much of their day to trivial nonsense?

I thank God that neither my friends or family allows social media to inform their lives. If my friends need to communicate with me they text or call directly. Same with my family except we also have an email group which is basically glorified texting. That's it. I can't think of anything more annoying than chasing people around on Facebook or Twitter, especially people I don't know personally, like celebrities. (Frankly I couldn't give a shit about whatever sensationalist nonsense someone like Elon Musk tweets. That's all that platform is good for -- digital click bait crapola.)

I'm also mystified by people who want to be Youtube "stars" or Instagram "models". How is that even a thing? How can these people afford their rent? Who is supporting them?

EXACTLY. Sounds a lot like my world. Funny how simple that is. If I am with my ACTUAL friends, what reason do I really have for checking some Facebook feed or anything else? I am too busy snarfing fries from a friend's plate or listening to a joke whose punchline gets messed up :). I actually see people in theaters checking their phones DURING THE FILM. So, I am going to even stop doing the theater once every three months thing.

How about "Social Media Influencers"? :facepalm:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Nope, this time I am on your side. :) I think that the "simple" life is superior to the high tech life on some levels. Do you ever go camping? If not, you might consider trying it. It connects you to the planet in a way that part of you will recognize, but you won't know why. Smells from trees or flowers, the sound of wind, the primal nature of fire at night, so many wonderful things we miss.

I would rather live in the wilderness than in a retirement home.
I have always loved the outdoors and travelling. We are all adventure and thrillseekers. This is how our species was able to exploit and make life better for them. It's just that my own personal problems is holding me back. I hate working in an office. It feels like a friggin jail cell or a zoo.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
EXACTLY. Sounds a lot like my world. Funny how simple that is. If I am with my ACTUAL friends, what reason do I really have for checking some Facebook feed or anything else? I am too busy snarfing fries from a friend's plate or listening to a joke whose punchline gets messed up :). I actually see people in theaters checking their phones DURING THE FILM. So, I am going to even stop doing the theater once every three months thing.

How about "Social Media Influencers"? :facepalm:
Well this forum is a form of social media but hide behind a pseudonym. :P but I agree, facebook is worse than a forum. To me, a forum is just text where as facebook is both visual AND text but facebook seems far more toxic than forums.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well this forum is a form of social media but hide behind a pseudonym. :P but I agree, facebook is worse than a forum. To me, a forum is just text where as facebook is both visual AND text but facebook seems far more toxic than forums.

Perhaps it is, but you know everyone here. You know who is running it. You know I am not using anything here to make money. I find it worth it to maintain and pay for it because I would MUCH rather interact with you folks than people on Facebook I barely know (or at all).

That reminds me...why am I continuing to post Google ads here? They do not pay me for any of them, so why bother?

I have always loved the outdoors and travelling. We are all adventure and thrillseekers. This is how our species was able to exploit and make life better for them. It's just that my own personal problems is holding me back. I hate working in an office. It feels like a friggin jail cell or a zoo.

Read this book:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Perhaps it is, but you know everyone here. You know who is running it. You know I am not using anything here to make money. I find it worth it to maintain and pay for it because I would MUCH rather interact with you folks than people on Facebook I barely know (or at all).

That reminds me...why am I continuing to post Google ads here? They do not pay me for any of them, so why bother?
lol it's just digital numbers.It has no value. Watch as the first quadrillionaire will come out next after a trillionaire.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Read this book:

These sociopaths are everywhere. Sadly society will 'forgive' him and now he's probably making the same amount of money from doing these talks and by selling these books.
All those drugs doing harm to their health. These criminals should be locked up for 10 years. Maybe that should teach them a lesson.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

If you can't go camping, then find the largest regional park in your area and explore it. I have very fond memories of hiking in Griffith Park and exploring tide pools at the beach. There are entire dramas being played out in spider webs, ant hills, in gardens...you might be amazed. I love garden orb spiders. They are very large (and completely harmless). They are out in broad daylight, and are not venomous. They weave large webs between bushes, usually about chest height. Watching the drama play out when something is caught in that web is fascinating. Sometimes, just sitting under a tree can be cathartic. Close your eyes and hear the breeze rustling the leaves. Take your shoes and socks off and walk or stand on the grass. Imagine the first men, without shoes and feeling grass under their feet. THAT is being human too. So few of us make time for nature and connecting to our planet.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
About the topic of Netflix cracking...

I just suspended my Netflix about a week ago, and this thread reminded me of why I did that. There is nothing worth watching that I cannot find on Amazon. Even the Netflix originals are on Amazon. They are not competing like Google/Netflix competes. When I was using my Google Home and Chromecast and streaming from my browser and such, the setup was okay but there was so little content that I wanted to watch. Amazon has everything I want to watch, and I can pay for more recent stuff. Google/Netflix made a deal that eliminated Amazon from the Chromecast, so I dumped the Google Home and the Chromecast for Echo Dot and Fire TV. I have two Dots now, and yesterday I gave my Google Home Mini to my neighbor.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
There are ads here?!?

Well if you're not getting paid for em then indeed toss em the fuck out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There are ads here?!?

Well if you're not getting paid for em then indeed toss em the fuck out.

If you are logged in, the system suppresses them. But if you log out and go to the home page and forum home page, you will see them. This site has been online for 7 years, and I have not made a dime on those ads. But the video of Siete and Bella paid me $100! I am going to dump them.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
If you are logged in, the system suppresses them. But if you log out and go to the home page and forum home page, you will see them. This site has been online for 7 years, and I have not made a dime on those ads. But the video of Siete and Bella paid me $100! I am going to dump them.
Google never plays fair to the little guys. They did the same thing with youtube too. They lock the funds until you reach a certain threshold but are giving exclusive access to those that pay them money to get fake views. lol. A lot of views on youtube are fake anyway. You can buy bots to do your views for you.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
If you can't go camping, then find the largest regional park in your area and explore it. I have very fond memories of hiking in Griffith Park and exploring tide pools at the beach. There are entire dramas being played out in spider webs, ant hills, in gardens...you might be amazed. I love garden orb spiders. They are very large (and completely harmless). They are out in broad daylight, and are not venomous. They weave large webs between bushes, usually about chest height. Watching the drama play out when something is caught in that web is fascinating. Sometimes, just sitting under a tree can be cathartic. Close your eyes and hear the breeze rustling the leaves. Take your shoes and socks off and walk or stand on the grass. Imagine the first men, without shoes and feeling grass under their feet. THAT is being human too. So few of us make time for nature and connecting to our planet.
At the moment we have been having freezing weather. Ironic given what we have been discussing about climate change. Trouble is, our cold is extremely DRY cold so it feels colder than it should. It's the same way why humidity feels warmer.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
At the moment we have been having freezing weather. Ironic given what we have been discussing about climate change. Trouble is, our cold is extremely DRY cold so it feels colder than it should. It's the same way why humidity feels warmer.
I take it you're somewhere in the southern region of Australia then?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I've been saying for awhile now that Netflix is insanely overvalued and financially overextended and it would only be a matter of time before reality sets in and they begin to lose ground. Well, it looks like that moment might have arrived. Netflix reported on Monday that they failed to hit subscriber targets for the quarter. Naturally the market reacted and they lost 30 billion in share value.

Below is a fascinating article that highlights the spending deficit (in the billions) that Netflix can't possibly hope to recoup. More importantly, Netflix doesn't have a lot of proprietary value other than the shows it produces itself. Compare this to its streaming competitors Disney, Apple, and Amazon, all of which are heavily diversified in other products that make up their stock base. If any of these competitors struggle in the streaming market it won't tank that particular company, unlike Netflix which has no such safety net in place.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ber-slowdown-could-mark-streaming-giants-peak
If Apple buys Netflix, it will still sink. They will change it into something nobody wants anymore, it will be chintzy on content and the price will rise. It will become more like Hulu, and will gradually move into the walled garden of Apple. Nothing in the Apple ecosystem is about value and convenience. Amazon will take it's seat on the throne of streaming services.
https://markets.businessinsider.com...ck-price-enters-bear-market-2018-7-1027412251

another 22 dollar drop today so far 218 billion dollars drop.