Low Carb Eating...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'll have to talk myself into the coconut oil. It's never been one of my favorite flavors. I'm more of an olive oil kind of girl (always have been). I don't do diet sweeteners. It doesn't matter which one I use of them, I can taste their presence in food. It's sad, but true.

I'm not a huge fan of how coconut tastes either but recently I started buying coconut oil (Trader Joe's Virgin Coconut Oil) and find the coconut essence to be fairly mild. In fact, the taste is so mild that it disappears when I add other ingredients to whatever recipe I'm using it in. It's a great fat to saute things in, everything from veggies to chicken, etc. Properly seasoned you shouldn't smell or taste the coconut part of it.

Years ago I did try to eat coconut oil by the tablespoon and it was just not pleasing at all. It wasn't until I actually started cooking with it in recipes recently that I learned to really like it a lot. Now the only time I take it even close to "straight" is when I use it in coffee (decaf) instead of cream. It's weird at first because it's so oily on top of the cup but now I'm fairly addicted to it. Wonderful stuff!

As for the rest, I direct you over to "Mark"s Daily Apple" which is one of those "primal" or "paleo" sites. Whatever it's called they are very very low-carb over there. The forums are very user friendly and you don't even have to be a member to use the search function. There are forums on nutrition and recipes and fitness and "odds and ends", etc. And the blog articles are interesting too.

At any rate, here's the link direct to the "Primal Blueprint Recipes" page. You should find lots of ideas and instructions for low-carb meals there.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum7.html

Good luck on everything and don't get discouraged during the change over to a low-carb regime. It will all be worth it when you start to see and feel results, which should come quickly hopefully. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Spread your meals out to 5 or 6. It keeps your metabolic furnace burning. Snack on things like almonds and bean sprouts between meals.

Must resist urge to derail thread by mentioning positive effects of Intermittent Fasting on inflammation! :ronnon_whistling: :P

*Actually, I need to take my own advice here as I have gotten less disciplined the last few months and have been eating at all hours of the day instead of keeping my meals within a structured window of time each day (I've been eating breakfast a lot and truth be told I hate breakfast, sigh...). This could, possibly, explain why my arthritis has gotten so bad recently. (My hands are aching as I type this -- I mean aching.)

Then again, I might just be full of shit; something that I'm sure will come as a surprise to all of you. ;)

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I am somewhat of a sceptic when it comes to Intermittent Fasting I prefer meal frequency. At least you don't starve your body of vital nutrients

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am somewhat of a sceptic when it comes to Intermittent Fasting I prefer meal frequency. At least you don't starve your body of vital nutrients

I think the idea behind it is to give your digestive system a break and/or change your metabolism and/or get you closer to ketosis, etc. etc. etc. There's a ton of different theories about what it's supposed to do. Truthfully for me I just feel better when I don't constantly have something in my stomach. I am able to work harder and faster and have lots of energy. But that's just me and my weird "circadian rhythm" for want of a better term. In the mornings I don't like eating food but when it comes to dinner that's a whole different story.

Again, that's just how I like it but it's not for everyone -- especially body builders, and thank God for that otherwise some of us wouldn't have anything worth fapping to. ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It's been a good day. I'm enjoying the fact that hard liquor has no carbs and am having 2 oz of good rye whisky.

Thanks for all of the information and advice from you all. It is very much appreciated.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's been a good day. I'm enjoying the fact that hard liquor has no carbs and am having 2 oz of good rye whisky.

Thanks for all of the information and advice from you all. It is very much appreciated.

Straight only...no mixers! :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Yeah ... no. :D Alcohol doesn't react on your body in a straightforward manner like that. You can't measure its effects in macro-nutrient terms.

OM1 can probably corroborate this because it follows the Atkins diet structure as well. You should avoid alcohol in the first few weeks of your low carb diet (if I recall correctly, this is Phase 1 in Atkins). Afterward, you can sneak in a drink a day but not more than an oz of hard liquor or a glass of wine.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
So far, the booze hasn't had a negative effect on things. Still in ketosis and more weight off when I got on the scale this morning.

As for mixers, the closest I get to one is regular coffee. ;)

Not a big wine drinker, but sometimes have a very small amount of Masala wine (in an aperitif glass) in the late afternoon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So far, the booze hasn't had a negative effect on things. Still in ketosis and more weight off when I got on the scale this morning.

As for mixers, the closest I get to one is regular coffee. ;)

Not a big wine drinker, but sometimes have a very small amount of Masala wine (in an aperitif glass) in the late afternoon.
Yeah ... no. :D Alcohol doesn't react on your body in a straightforward manner like that. You can't measure its effects in macro-nutrient terms.

OM1 can probably corroborate this because it follows the Atkins diet structure as well. You should avoid alcohol in the first few weeks of your low carb diet (if I recall correctly, this is Phase 1 in Atkins). Afterward, you can sneak in a drink a day but not more than an oz of hard liquor or a glass of wine.

I wasnt going to address it right off, because I know Illiterati is very fond of her aperitifs! However, the main reason for not drinking alcohol are very real in low carbing:

• Your body burns alcohol for fuel first. So if you are in ketosis and burning fat (the goal) but you drink, you will stop burning fat until you have burned off all the alcohol.

Yep, unfortunately because you are now in ketosis, you are burning fat as your primary fuel and there are no sugars to burn. But alcohol is DEFINITELY going to stall you because your body burns alcohol for fuel first (if present) when you are in ketosis. But when it is burned off, you will go back into ketosis. This means that you will lose less during your induction because each drink will be metabolized as fuel first before your body grabs more stored fat to burn as fuel.

• Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and makes you more likely to cheat.
If you drink and get drunk, you could do food sins and not remember. :) It is important not to wing it when doing this. Going on a weekend binge could mean losing half what you might if you didnt.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just eat nothing but all natural uncooked beef for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That will kill your carb count REALLY fast (of course it may do other things also....).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW, if you must drink alcohol whilst low carbing, stick to Scotch, whiskey or gin. Wines and cognacs and rums still contain sugars. One 5oz glass of wine (white or red) contains at least 4 carbs, and sweet wines even more. Beer is out of the question.

The no alcohol rule in Atkins Induction is one of the hardest rules for those who like to drink. If you continue, you can make up for it by extending your Induction to three or four weeks instead of the two weeks it normally takes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just eat nothing but all natural uncooked beef for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That will kill your carb count REALLY fast (of course it may do other things also....).

All meats are zero carb. But all meats need to be cooked (I know you were kidding). It is never safe to eat raw meat in the US. I dont even eat sushi anymore. :)

I did meat binging with BACON! Bacon in omlettes, bacon roll ups, bacon in my salads, and even straight out of the frying pan or oven. :anim_59:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
All meats are zero carb. But all meats need to be cooked (I know you were kidding). It is never safe to eat raw meat in the US. I don't even eat sushi anymore. :)

I did meat binging with BACON! Bacon in omelets, bacon roll ups, bacon in my salads, and even straight out of the frying pan or oven. :anim_59:
Then I won't tell you what happens with the scallops we buy from Costco on the way home.

Well, maybe I just did.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Then I won't tell you what happens with the scallops we buy from Costco on the way home.

Well, maybe I just did.

You can eat raw shellfish, oysters, etc. Perfectly acceptable! My reasons for no longer eating sushi or raw meats has nothing to do with Atkins or low carbing. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You can eat raw shellfish, oysters, etc. Perfectly acceptable! My reasons for no longer eating sushi or raw meats has nothing to do with Atkins or low carbing. :)
I thought that might be the case. LOL

Every so often, we head to Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo to have some of the most amazing sushi in town. We do it omakase (sp), so the chef decides what he'll serve us, based on our preferences.

Our other favorite place is Maruhide, a small restaurant down your way that is owned/operated by an uni (sea urchin) processor. Everything contains uni. YUM!!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought that might be the case. LOL

Every so often, we head to Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo to have some of the most amazing sushi in town. We do it omakase (sp), so the chef decides what he'll serve us, based on our preferences.

Our other favorite place is Maruhide, a small restaurant down your way that is owned/operated by an uni (sea urchin) processor. Everything contains uni. YUM!!!

I will take my favorite foods back up in 2015. :) Seafood is my favorite food, and Im even a Pisces! I love eel and ahi and sashimi too. :) You told me about that place...its at the Pier, right?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Uh, no... The seafood market with the live uni is at the Pier. Maruhide is on Redondo Beach Blvd, as I recall. Look for Maruhide Uni Club. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you are having bread cravings, there are lots of options. The easiest is to switch over to low carb tortillas, and they are available at any supermarket and will say "Carb Balance" (Mission brand). There are other carb controlled flour tortillas...no corn though. Each one is only 6 net carbs or 8 net carbs for the large. Beats 16 carbs for ONE slice of bread, huh? You can use them in induction. The whole wheat version of Carb Balance has only 4 net carbs per tortilla!

0007373100119_500X500.jpg

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I do pretty well avoiding the bread, but thanks. I just had a small handful of almonds, which was a nice way to finish off my dinner.

:)