Low Carb Eating...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm back on Low Carbing because of various health issues, but I'm trying to find a less expensive way to go about it.

I can handle things like tofu. It's not a favorite, but it's an inexpensive low carb food.

What other suggestions do you who have been low carbing it have for a more reasonable food budget when eating this way?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm back on Low Carbing because of various health issues, but I'm trying to find a less expensive way to go about it.

I can handle things like tofu. It's not a favorite, but it's an inexpensive low carb food.

What other suggestions do you who have been low carbing it have for a more reasonable food budget when eating this way?

I did this for the same reason! And I also had to do it in a frugal way. I suggest the following tactics:

• Buy meat in bulk (at least 5lbs at a time). Excellent deals can usually be had on ground turkey, which can be made into anything from low carb chili to low carb turkey burgers, to turkey meatloaf. You can get 5lbs of it for between 6 and 7 dollars.
  • Buy cheese in bulk. You can safely have about 4 oz of cheese per day
  • Get the Atkins book (online is fine). Use the Acceptable Foods List

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm not fond of ground bird, but whole bird is okay. Just have to find other ways to make it.

Tomorrow will be eggs for breakfast, tofu in homemade chicken broth for lunch, and baked chicken with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic for dinner.

It all works out to about 14 grams of carbs for the day.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not fond of ground bird, but whole bird is okay. Just have to find other ways to make it.

Tomorrow will be eggs for breakfast, tofu in homemade chicken broth for lunch, and baked chicken with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic for dinner.

That may not be enough carbs. 20 is safe for two weeks, and then gradually add them back. You will need some ketosticks (get them at CVS for less than 10 bucks for 50). They will indicate that you are burning fat, and how much. In the beginning, just getting down to 14 carbs or even as much as 20, you will burn off about 20lbs of water weight in two weeks. After that, it will slow to somewhere between 5 lbs per week. You will have to start exercizing regularly to keep that rate going (walk the dog, walk the block, dance to your favorite songs for about 30 min). Raise your metabolism

I have made this journey! I can help you as you go and cheer you on!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm already insulin resistant, so getting into ketosis as soon as possible is a good idea for me. I've got something unpleasant called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and low carbing it is actually recommended for helping alleviate symptoms (it cannot currently be cured).

I'm picking up a container of 100 ketostix tomorrow at Costco for about 18 bucks. I ran out of my previous ones this morning.

I was recently dx'd with arthritis in my spine and knee, so moving around can be dodgy, at best. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm already insulin resistant, so getting into ketosis as soon as possible is a good idea for me. I've got something unpleasant called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and low carbing it is actually recommended for helping alleviate symptoms (it cannot currently be cured).

I'm picking up a container of 100 ketostix tomorrow at Costco for about 18 bucks. I ran out of my previous ones this morning.

I was recently dx'd with arthritis in my spine and knee, so moving around can be dodgy, at best. :P

Good you are using the ketostix, cause they were what kept me in my low carb zone. When it fades to just a little pink, you can fall out of ketosis and it takes about two days to get back in. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. :( You are going to see amazing results because you are motivated by something very important. That is what it took for me also. Doc said I was pre-diabetic, at risk for heart attack and stroke, and had abnormally high blood pressure (5'9", 260lbs).

Losing the weight reversed the pre-diabetic condition, eliminated my blood pressure problem, and reduced my risk of arterial disease by more than 50%. Quitting smoking has been very hard, but if I could really do that and stick it out I could reduce it more. But the point is that weight loss as a result of an improved diet is going to have other benefits you might not have thought of. You will see for yourself. :)

KEY THING TO DO AT ALL COSTS:

Drink water. Drink 3-5 liters of water per day while low carbing. It will hydrate your joints, flush the byproducts of burning fat, and make your skin look great. What I did was to buy 5 of those Fiji waters (I know, they are expensive), then peeled the labels off them and I empty all of them before the day is out, then refill them in the morning from my Brita pitcher. Brita will pay for itself after refilling it about 5 times and filling your bottles. I got the Fiji bottles because they are square and fit perfectly in the door of my fridge. :) This (drinking water) may be the biggest key to your weight loss second to none. Even a great diet wont work if your body does not have enough water. Low carbers really have to watch it and stay hydrated. Low carbing makes your body want to release water. Resist the sudden new craving for salt (it will happen).

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Low cost low carbing staples:

• Broccoli
  • Eggs (you can actually save tons by using powdered whole eggs)
  • Chicken (non breaded, not prepared). Buy them whole and cut them up.
  • Cheese (only actual cheese. American counts, but I would stick with cheeses like cheddar, mozzarella, colby, gouda, etc)
  • Nuts (salted is fine. Dry roasted is even better. Not peanut butter, unless it contains no sugar or emulsifiers...better to avoid it.
  • Avocados
  • Tea (green tea is best) - You can prepare this hot or even better, iced.
  • Splenda

These things you will use several times per day (maybe not the broccoli, but something similar like cauliflower or spinach). If you buy fresh spinach, you can raise the level of protein and phytonutrients in any salad by adding a few leaves of fresh spinach or make the whole salad from it.

Make your own condiments, dressings...you are going to become a better cook. :) And because of that, many foods you used to like will seem unappealing. When we cook, how many people grab the shaker of preservatives, or dump that handy bottle of brominated vegetable oil or maltodextrin on our food? I never had a tuna fillet with soy broth, nor do I add textured vegetable protein into my burgers. When you read the labels looking for carb values, you are going to see this garbage and slowly your eating habits will change because you no longer like the foods which were making you fat...at least not nearly as much!

Im excited for you. :) Im here for you!

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Oh yes, water is a huge part of my day. Pissing like a racehorse. LOL Calling it a "diuretic" diet seems a massive understatement.

As for the salt, ya, you lose it when the glycogen stores go away. I cook from scratch, so I can keep a good eye on what I'm taking in, sodium-wise.

Time for me to hit the sack. The kid called me from Florida, where she is moving her company's stuff from one data center to another, and she is exhausted. She was supposed to get home tonight (Friday night), but that's now been moved off until Sunday night. She just wants to be home in her own bed and be able to take a real shower.

Night, all!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh yes, water is a huge part of my day. Pissing like a racehorse. LOL Calling it a "diuretic" diet seems a massive understatement.

As for the salt, ya, you lose it when the glycogen stores go away. I cook from scratch, so I can keep a good eye on what I'm taking in, sodium-wise.

Time for me to hit the sack. The kid called me from Florida, where she is moving her company's stuff from one data center to another, and she is exhausted. She was supposed to get home tonight (Friday night), but that's now been moved off until Sunday night. She just wants to be home in her own bed and be able to take a real shower.

Night, all!

Goodnight! I will add tips as needed. You can easily do this. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh and a huge tip: buy virgin cold pressed coconut oil. It will cost you about $9.00 for 16oz, and that jar will last you about 4 months. Here is the tip:

Coconut oil will raise your metabolism naturally. Take one whole tablespoon of it every day (it tastes good!) Within 5 minutes, your face will feel warm and your body will feel "revved up". It speeds up the metabolism because it is almost 90% saturated fat. For a low carber who is in ketosis, it is like rocket fuel. Eating this fat is HEALTHY.

Coconut oil is the healthiest oil on earth. Healthier than pure virgin olive oil. It is almost magical in it's properties. It will improve your hair, nails, skin, digestion, and when you use it for oil pulling, you can even reverse gum disease (dark gums) and make them a nice healthy pink again.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304418404579469762543729116

http://naturalsociety.com/single-serving-coconut-oil-brain-health-alzheimers-fats/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Coconut oil has zero carbs. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Spread your meals out to 5 or 6. It keeps your metabolic furnace burning. Snack on things like almonds and bean sprouts between meals.

Bluce Ree

Low cost low carbing staples:

• Broccoli
  • Eggs (you can actually save tons by using powdered whole eggs)
  • Chicken (non breaded, not prepared). Buy them whole and cut them up.
  • Cheese (only actual cheese. American counts, but I would stick with cheeses like cheddar, mozzarella, colby, gouda, etc)
  • Nuts (salted is fine. Dry roasted is even better. Not peanut butter, unless it contains no sugar or emulsifiers...better to avoid it.
  • Avocados
  • Tea (green tea is best) - You can prepare this hot or even better, iced.
  • Splenda

Green tea, Splenda and a Sodastream make great flavored sodas. :D

Bluce Ree

Doc said I was pre-diabetic, at risk for heart attack and stroke, and had abnormally high blood pressure (5'9", 260lbs).

Damn! Imagine what 260 lbs of muscle at 5'9" would look like. Jay Cutler is 300 lbs off season and he's 5'7".

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'll have to talk myself into the coconut oil. It's never been one of my favorite flavors. I'm more of an olive oil kind of girl (always have been). I don't do diet sweeteners. It doesn't matter which one I use of them, I can taste their presence in food. It's sad, but true.

Also keep mind that diet/substitute sweeteners of any sort (including Splenda or the glycerin often used for low carb snack foods) can cause your weight to plateau. I figure, why even give that a chance to start, so I don't use them at all. I find that within a short period of time, things are sweet enough on their own after going into ketosis, so I'll keep doing things that way. But I thank you both for your suggestions about them.

Waiting on the mail (new phone case being delivered today) and then I'm off to pick up my ketostix from Costco. Watching Deadwood while I do. DAMN, but I've missed this show and all of its delightfully colorful metaphors.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Damn! Imagine what 260 lbs of muscle at 5'9" would look like. Jay Cutler is 300 lbs off season and he's 5'7".

I sometimes see 260lbs guys my height trying to pass off fat as muscle. LOL! Like this guy...why is he trying to flex FAT? This is what 260lbs of fat looks like on a guy 5'9". Note the strategic covering of the belly. :icon_lol:

92647143.jpg

This is a guy the same height and weight, but with 260lbs of muscle:

260lbs.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll have to talk myself into the coconut oil. It's never been one of my favorite flavors. I'm more of an olive oil kind of girl (always have been). I don't do diet sweeteners. It doesn't matter which one I use of them, I can taste their presence in food. It's sad, but true.

Also keep mind that diet/substitute sweeteners of any sort (including Splenda or the glycerin often used for low carb snack foods) can cause your weight to plateau. I figure, why even give that a chance to start, so I don't use them at all. I find that within a short period of time, things are sweet enough on their own after going into ketosis, so I'll keep doing things that way. But I thank you both for your suggestions about them.

Waiting on the mail (new phone case being delivered today) and then I'm off to pick up my ketostix from Costco. Watching Deadwood while I do. DAMN, but I've missed this show and all of its delightfully colorful metaphors.

The first two weeks low carbing is a skate. :) You only have to keep your ultra low carb level for two weeks, and without doing much of anything physically, the first 20lbs will drop off (it's water weight). But you should not extend it much longer than two weeks. A month tops...then add carbs back slowly, but it should come in the form of vegetables and fruits. No bananas, grapes or any dried fruits at all during this phase.

I did plateau for a spell, but it was because I was slamming the cheese. No more than 4oz per day, and that is plenty. It really helps to use either Atkins or South Beach for ideas. Atkins has better results, but South Beach is easier to do. I followed Atkins to the letter and dropped my extra weight (I chronicled it here somewhere!). Splenda is not carb free. You are supposed to have no more than the equivalent of 4 packets a day. You can use stevia (Truvia) instead, and there are no carbs in it at all and it wont cause you to stall. But depriving yourself of something sweet during your induction phase is going to cause craves.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Atkins Acceptable Foods List (first two weeks, 20 carbs or less). The list gives you the amounts to eat. Combine these foods in meals for lots of variety.

http://www.atkins.com/getmedia/61f15474-b7a1-4c46-93d6-341b858b916d/acceptablefoodsphase1_0818.aspx

Pick foods you like from that list. I never knew how much I liked broccoli until I realized how many awesome meals you can make with it. Especially combined with meat and cheese. But I am also fond of spinach, cooked or raw. It is important not to wing it when low carbing. All the work has been done in terms of portion control and nutritional values of foods, so we just have to follow the rules:

• Read all labels of packaged foods.
  • Get nutrition information on all fast foods ('cause you will occasionally "cheat").
  • Rule of Net Carbs: Total carbohydrates minus dietary fiber = Net Carbs
  • NO carbs should come from sugar.
Great low carb, low cost fast food ideas:

All chicken prepared at El Pollo Loco is zero carb. Only buy chicken, skip the tortillas and avoid the combination products (bowls, chicken salads, etc). Buy a whole bucket and then use the chicken at home in meals like sandwiches, salads and mini-meals during the day. A bucket of chicken at El Pollo Loco is less than $15.00

pollo loco.PNG

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I can also taste stevia. Like I said, I've tried 'em all and have come away disappointed in artificial (or modified natural) sweeteners.

Thanks for the additional information and links. :)