Low Carb Eating...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm doing low carb, not no carb, to keep type II diabetes away!

That's why I did it too. :) But I have slipped BIG TIME (I mean that literally). I have gained more than 30 pounds since last November.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
That's why I did it too. :) But I have slipped BIG TIME (I mean that literally). I have gained more than 30 pounds since last November.
This thread should be renamed to low energy carb eating not low carb eating because vegetables are carbs but they are the good carbs you can enjoy in abundance. Anyway, feeling so good

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I slipped this winter and regained 10, but back on my regimen now!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I just keep happily eating shit-tons of carbs.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Nope, not insane. Also, nope, don't know what it's doing to my colon. I'm in the process of adopter a healthier lifestyle. But I'm taking it slow. Not gonna change everything in one go, that'd be a plan destined to fail. I stopped drinking coke a week ago. Already feeling better now. I don't know what other things I'll be changing in the near future. Also been keeping more of an eye on my eating habits. Not in the sense of carbs, or actually I guess I am but not from the perspective of wanting to eat less carbs. I'm eating less carbs now as a result of for example eating more salads and not getting take out pizza and such things. I'll gradually improve things over time. Also I think it would probably be a bad thing to ban carbs from your life altogether. Just don't overdo things is generally the best way to go no matter what the topic of discussion I would say.

Nope, not insane. Also, nope, don't know what it's doing to my colon. I'm in the process of adopter a healthier lifestyle. But I'm taking it slow. Not gonna change everything in one go, that'd be a plan destined to fail. I stopped drinking coke a week ago. Already feeling better now. I don't know what other things I'll be changing in the near future. Also been keeping more of an eye on my eating habits. Not in the sense of carbs, or actually I guess I am but not from the perspective of wanting to eat less carbs. I'm eating less carbs now as a result of for example eating more salads and not getting take out pizza and such things. I'll gradually improve things over time. Also I think it would probably be a bad thing to ban carbs from your life altogether. Just don't overdo things is generally the best way to go no matter what the topic of discussion I would say.

Well I'm not your mother so I won't lecture you about colon health. But I have to say that I think it's a bad idea to ignore the importance of it. Believe me I know. A guy I went to uni with died, in part, because, like you, he had a fetish for carbs. I even recall him saying something like you did about eating a "shit ton of carbs" and not caring about it. Well less than a year after he made that statement he ended up passing away due to the epithelial lining of his colon falling out of his anus. This actually happened while he was riding the train to class. I guess the train car he was in wasn't very crowded because no one noticed he had passed immediately.

It took awhile to get all the details as I didn't want to be rude and ask at the funeral. But his sister's ex boyfriend told me most of it later on. I guess the guy who proclaimed his love of carbs had been having some intestinal trouble for awhile. I still don't know if it was cancer related though. But anyway, he had something called a prolapsed anal sphincter and was being treated for that but hadn't changed his diet one iota. The doctors (plural) had told him he needed to change his eating habits immediately. But he didn't. Then one day when he was on the train he just literally shit himself to death. Maybe he sneezed or coughed, I don't know. I'm sure the smell was terrible and it had to be a horrible way to go. The guy was kind of a dick at times, especially when he made fun of other people for their healthy dietary habits. But still, it was really sad to lose him that way.

So anyway, that's just some food for thought. The health of your ass may sound funny but it's no joking matter. Please get a colonoscopy and talk to your doctor about what you should be eating to keep your colon healthy.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You are full of interesting, disgusting and sad stories. That person must have been in some very special circumstances though. I've seen a lot of people eat all kinds of things but I've never heard of exploding ani before. Nevertheless, I appreciate your concern. I don't feel as if I'm in any trouble health wise at the moment, apart from smoking and being slightly overweight. But thank you.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, I am back on the Atkins path again. Last time I did it I lost 60lbs in 6 months. I followed it faithfully and got exactly the results expected. Unfortunately, the Atkins company that the wifey created has injected a bunch of non-Atkins, non-beneficial products to the diet, and I have to sort through it. But the original program is still available free of the products.

I consider tonight my last non-Atkins night. I am eating carbs, and I even have a couple of donuts. But there is no bread, no sugar, no high GI fruits, no chips/crisps and no candy. I know what I need to do and I will do it. I imagine I will be posting my progress here. But I need to put batteries in my scale!

You are full of interesting, disgusting and sad stories. That person must have been in some very special circumstances though. I've seen a lot of people eat all kinds of things but I've never heard of exploding ani before. Nevertheless, I appreciate your concern. I don't feel as if I'm in any trouble health wise at the moment, apart from smoking and being slightly overweight. But thank you.

You may think I'm joking but again, colon health is no joking matter. The sad thing is that no one ever takes this subject seriously until it's too late. They think stories are fake and urban legends. They think someone "shitting" themselves to death is funny. It's not. It's actually quite sad.

At any rate I didn't realize you're a smoker which is a whole different can of worms. On the bright side though you probably don't have to worry about your colon pooping out on you as the carcinogens in cigarettes usually metastasize other organs first. ;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You may think I'm joking but again, colon health is no joking matter. The sad thing is that no one ever takes this subject seriously until it's too late. They think stories are fake and urban legends. They think someone "shitting" themselves to death is funny. It's not. It's actually quite sad.

At any rate I didn't realize you're a smoker which is a whole different can of worms. On the bright side though you probably don't have to worry about your colon pooping out on you as the carcinogens in cigarettes usually metastasize other organs first. ;)

For the record, I did not take your post as a joke at all, I took it seriously. I don't laugh about other people's discomforts like that. It might be funny if I see someone get wet because they get splashed by a bus driving through a massive puddle, but as far as people's health is concerned I don't find bad things amusing.

There is also such a thing as being overly cautious. If you'd follow all the dietary restrictions which all the doctors in the world advise in order to keep healthy, you'd risk dying of starvation. And there is also such a thing as enjoying life. If I'd have to spend the rest of my life eating nothing but according to a very strict and specific regimen, I don't think I'd enjoy that as much. It probably won't hurt to splurge on something that is unhealthy but tasty now and then as long as you don't think things such as cyanide or petrol are tasty. Just keep stuff towards the healthy side of the spectrum in general. I must note that that is not what I've been doing for most of my life but I'm moving in the right direction.

I'm of the opinion that generally speaking your body will let you know if it requires a certain something by way of cravings. You do of course have to be able to tell the difference between your body craving something and your mind craving something and I think that is where most people probably struggle which leads to all kinds of problems. I rarely eat candy or cookies. I do like certain chips now and then. I know they're probably not good for me, but I don't think they're that bad. I am a bit of a potato lover, that's probably part of my heritage.

There are also situations in which people go overboard as far as being healthy is concerned. An example is that crap that a lot of people seem to like rubbing on their hands ten times a day. That germ killing crap whatever it's called. If you're not a surgeon or a doctor than in my opinion you're not doing yourself a favour with it. If you keep babies in germ-free environments they will never build up resistance and will be prone to getting sick much more easily later on. I think eating habits can probably have similar effects. Of course I haven't conducted any research into these matters, not even looked if anyone else has done research. I don't need to though. I'm getting through life worry free as it is in that regard.

A sidenote regarding that crap, if I touch something that has previously been touched by someone who rubbed that crap on their hands I am disgusted by the very feel of it and I have a desperate urge to rub my hands clean on something. I find jeans tend to work well, but that shit doesn't come off easily. It's far easier to get dirt off your hands than it is that stuff. Besides that shit stinks like hell as well.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well I'm not your mother so I'm not here to tell you how to live. I'm simply relating actual consequences of bad dietary habits that I have seen. I would advise you to eat a more fiber-rich diet but I'm afraid of offending you now. I guess you have to reach that point on your own.

I just had a large salad for dinner. Consisted of lettuce, cucumber, red onions, black olives, green peppers (bell peppers that is), boiled egg and chicken tikka with some salt, pepper and grated cheese sprinkled on top. Is that good as far as fibres are concerned?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
carbs are delish...that is my problem! :P sticking to more grilled meats and seafood these days, but occasionally I'll have a baked good! :P

I just had a large salad for dinner. Consisted of lettuce, cucumber, red onions, black olives, green peppers (bell peppers that is), boiled egg and chicken tikka with some salt, pepper and grated cheese sprinkled on top. Is that good as far as fibres are concerned?

You mentioned you smoke both cigarettes and weed. I hate to point out the obvious but weed is generally unfiltered so you're getting a shit ton of carcinogenic tar and other crap in your lungs every time you toke up. I know people that have gotten lung cancer. Please don't ask me to relate yet another sad tale of illness. It really is a horrible way to go. Smoking is terrible for you. You should chuck the cigs and eat the weed or even vape it, but stop smoking altogether. Unless of course you don't care about your health and the concern of your loved ones.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This might save some carbs......

This might save some carbs......

When I watch something like this I can't help but wonder what type of family life this guy has. It's doubtful someone as mentally defective as he is could live alone, so that means someone (probably not him) has to scrub the toilet after all this Crisco makes its way quickly through his system. -- And it won't be a clean purging, that's for sure.

No doubt this guy does these inane "challenges" as a routine thing. That has to be highly annoying for his loved one as living with an idiot is very, very trying.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, my low carb regimen for 2018 has been a roaring success so far. 20lb weight loss since early December of last year, and no carb disasters. :). I have reached the point as most low carbers do, when seeing or smelling carbs no longer makes me want them. I can smell and walk past that kid eating the cinnamon roll and not crave one. Also, like before, I am not eating bread. But I am eating low carb tortillas, and making low carb substitutes for things I love to eat (like tacos).

Would anyone here benefit if I share some of my favorite low carb recipes here again? I will find the thread...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Are beans low carb?

No, :( It does depend on what beans, but most of them are pretty high carb. Lower carb beans suitable for eating on a lower carb diet on a regular basis would be black beans and chickpeas (garbanzo beans). The carbs and protein should be considered together. Also, there is dietary fiber you can subtract from the carbs (not shown).

Beans-and-Legumes-to-Avoid-900x728.jpg