Leonard Nimoy urges fans to quit smoking, reveals lung disease

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You're juggling apples and oranges, why not stay with nicotine?
I'm juggling apples and mammoths. It's difficult because the mammoths keep stealing my apples.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I know of two, my parents. There is an exception to every rule, which goes back to the individual.

Was it all "happy trails" for the 3 months it takes to get rid of the physiological addiction?

I am not knocking your parents with that, I am asking if they just quit, cold turkey and did not suffer *any* side effects?

B

Backstep

Was it all "happy trails" for the 3 months it takes to get rid of the physiological addiction?

I am not knocking your parents with that, I am asking if they just quit, cold turkey and did not suffer *any* side effects?

Cold turkey. After my mother died my father picked smoking up again for about a year, then quite cold again with no visible signs.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So, they had none of the rage issues that are usually associated with withdrawal?

If I want to quit, and I do, the more info I have, the better.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're juggling apples and oranges, why not stay with nicotine?

Okay...but you were the one who claimed marijuana was addicting. :) I cant think of any redeeming thing associated with nicotine. The only reason I still smoke is because on some level, Im addicted. I think I would endure the withdrawal if it were suddenly made illegal. But to quit? I think the price of cigs could do it past a certain price point.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Okay...but you were the one who claimed marijuana was addicting. :) I cant think of any redeeming thing associated with nicotine. The only reason I still smoke is because on some level, Im addicted. I think I would endure the withdrawal if it were suddenly made illegal. But to quit? I think the price of cigs could do it past a certain price point.
My Dad used self-hypnosis to overcome his smoking addiction. He also used it at the dentist instead of Novocain.

Brave man.

B

Backstep

It is the delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol ,or THC, that is the active ingredient in marijuana and so useful medically. It is, however, also the element that produces the high associated with marijuana use, triggering the pleasure pathway in the brain, which in turn triggers physical and mental addiction. It also binds to the cell receptors in the brain and body, which controls different compulsions.

http://www.orchidrecoverycenter.com/marijuana-rehab/medical-marijuana-uses/

Any substance that affects the pleasure/reward centers of the mind causes some form of addiction.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Mental addiction to pot, I can agree with.
Physical addiction, I am not so sure dude.

B

Backstep

So, they had none of the rage issues that are usually associated with withdrawal?

If I want to quit, and I do, the more info I have, the better.

My father said it was just pure willpower. Don't smoke the last pack or finish the carton, toss them out then go to places you normally don't smoke. Staying in the places and doing the things you equate with smoking brings the rage, change up your habits till you know you have it beat.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
My father said it was just pure willpower. Don't smoke the last pack or finish the carton, toss them out then go to places you normally don't smoke. Staying in the places and doing the things you equate with smoking brings the rage, change up your habits till you know you have it beat.

This approach worked for me for drinking, I stopped going to shops where I could get booze, and I did not go to pubs and such anymore. I f I wanted a "drink", I did something else.
What do you do if you are "angry" about being at home? or at work? Or other stuff you *have* to deal with every day?

B

Backstep

This approach worked for me for drinking, I stopped going to shops where I could get booze, and I did not go to pubs and such anymore. I f I wanted a "drink", I did something else.
What do you do if you are "angry" about being at home? or at work? Or other stuff you *have* to deal with every day?

I guess that is when toy will power comes in to play. From what i've been told the angry feeling last about a week, after 3 weeks you have it beat.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know a lot of smokers that quit but started up again when they were out drinking at the club/pub. It seems to be a running theme.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mental addiction to pot, I can agree with.
Physical addiction, I am not so sure dude.

Im sure. There is NO physical addiction associated with THC or any compounds derived or isolated from cannabis. Even those who claim some sort of mental addiction are very few and far between, and also suffer from other psychological issues. Nobody has ever died from the use of cannabis.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm not talking about death dude, I am talking about peeps who "need a bong" to get the day going. Not all psychological addictions need be "total", and at the end of the day, you can just say "nope, had enough" which is what I did.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It is the delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol ,or THC, that is the active ingredient in marijuana and so useful medically. It is, however, also the element that produces the high associated with marijuana use, triggering the pleasure pathway in the brain, which in turn triggers physical and mental addiction. It also binds to the cell receptors in the brain and body, which controls different compulsions.

http://www.orchidrecoverycenter.com/marijuana-rehab/medical-marijuana-uses/

Any substance that affects the pleasure/reward centers of the mind causes some form of addiction.

Actually, in medical marijuana, it is the CBD (cannabidiol) which has the most significant effects. Its the reason I chose the White Widow strain over others when using it to mitigate my migraines. CBD makes up 40% of all 60 active cannabis compounds. THC (to me) is less important. I avoid the high THC strains like Trainwreck and GCK for that reason.

And again, you are claiming that THC can cause physical addiction, and again you are wrong. Orchid Recovery Center does not count when referencing studies on marijuana, any more than CRI-Help or Chandler Foundation, on which I sit on the board of directors and am actively involved in. A well-funded, government sponsored program already has performed decades-long studies and their findings ARE relevant. I have provided the link to both the project and the studies. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not talking about death dude, I am talking about peeps who "need a bong" to get the day going. Not all psychological addictions need be "total", and at the end of the day, you can just say "nope, had enough" which is what I did.

I consider the term "psychological addiction" to be an oxymoron. One can be psychologically addicted to The Family Guy or chocolate or roller coasters.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Fair enough dude, I can't find a way to agree with that position. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
My mother tried to quit multiple times . I and my 4 brothers are lucky to be alive . She tried to kill us a few times when she was trying to quit lol . We would just get out of the house for our own safety . No ,,, she never was able to quit . She died two years ago now with COPD . Age 76 . Nasty nasty way to go . No fun watching someone suffocate right in front of you .
I never smoked but I did a little bit of pot and hash in my time . No chemicals . My high was and still is going as fast as I can in any type of vehicle .
You should ride with me in a snow storm lol or black ice ,,,. Man is that fun ,,,

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I know a lot of smokers that quit but started up again when they were out drinking at the club/pub. It seems to be a running theme.

I see quitting smoking as hard as losing weight. Well, fat anyway and getting off the sugar addiction. I know how hard it is to give up chocolates, icecreams :D but looking back, I don't miss em.However, it took me months to get into a rhythm of proper eating and avoiding bad foods.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Revisiting this thread after Leonard has passed on. :( He might have lived longer if he had quit smoking sooner. I was reading here how I used to smoke...just back as far as Feb 2014. I quit in November, just nine months later. In this thread, I was convinced I could not quit. Today, I am coming up on a year of non-smoking peace and there was no withdrawal or pain of any type. I never could have predicted that.

RIP, Leonard Nimoy.

maxresdefault.jpg