Leonard Nimoy urges fans to quit smoking, reveals lung disease

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Marijuana has no physically addicting components. Nicotine is physically addictive and will cause physical withdrawal symptoms when ceased. As far as getting addicted to the "high" of pot, I think that would be better described as "extreme desire" than addiction. Nicotine addiction is the real thing.

No need to explain the difference to me dude :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No need to explain the difference to me dude :)

Im still shaking my head.....you pay $25.00 for a pack of cigarettes? How often do you smoke? Does the missus also smoke? What brand?

B

Backstep

I think a study is good for the "bell curve", but tells you nothing about the individual. I know people who have gotten addicted to the "high" of pot, but NOT to smoking pot itself. I stopped smoking pot "cold turkey", but I did not miss it, or crave it, or want it anymore, I just, had enough. if it were chemically addictive, I would not have been able to do it with ZERO side effects. I missed no sleep, I was not restless, I did not crave it, I just............ stopped.

Yes, all studys are a bell curve. It's the individual on how anything put in the body will react. I'm in the group that mj gives me a headache and not a buzz. There are people who quite cigs with no negative affects.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, all studys are a bell curve. It's the individual on how anything put in the body will react. I'm in the group that mj gives me a headache and not a buzz. There are people who quite cigs with no negative affects.

That is very interesting! I use MJ to relieve debilitating migraine headaches, and you get headaches when using it. :) Seriously though, I think that was because of the strain/quality rather than MJ itself. Medical strains of MJ are not like street weed at all. Personally, I find all pure indica strains to be heavy headed and overbearing. I also avoid the strains which have pronounced psychoactive effects (Trainwreck, OG Kush, GCK), for the increased CBD strains used most in relieving migraine. Same applies to wines and beers too...cheap, low quality wine or beer can give you a headache and a bad hangover, whilst the good stuff does not.

TBH, if Imitrex was as cheap as marijuana (relatively speaking) and it still worked for me, I would continue to use it and not use marijuana. But that is not going to happen because Imitrex (sumatriphan) can build up an immunity within the body as it did with me. After Imitrex, all traditional methods are exhausted, and the next step is surgical procedure (as if...they dont even know what causes migraines! What will they be operating on?)

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Im still shaking my head.....you pay $25.00 for a pack of cigarettes? How often do you smoke? Does the missus also smoke? What brand?
15 bucks dude, not 25, and no, the wife does not smoke, or drink.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I know I just gave you a Winner rating, but I know of -no one- who has quit nicotine with no negative, or side effects.
Quitting smoking is....... harder than darn near any drug around, why do you think it still sells when people *know* what it can do??

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know I just gave you a Winner rating, but I know of -no one- who has quit nicotine with no negative, or side effects.
Quitting smoking is....... harder than darn near any drug around, why do you think it still sells when people *know* what it can do??

I agree. I personally have counseled heroin addicts who kicked that and still could not quit smoking.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That is very interesting! I use MJ to relieve debilitating migraine headaches, and you get headaches when using it. :) Seriously though, I think that was because of the strain/quality rather than MJ itself. Medical strains of MJ are not like street weed at all. Personally, I find all pure indica strains to be heavy headed and overbearing. I also avoid the strains which have pronounced psychoactive effects (Trainwreck, OG Kush, GCK), for the increased CBD strains used most in relieving migraine. Same applies to wines and beers too...cheap, low quality wine or beer can give you a headache and a bad hangover, whilst the good stuff does not.

TBH, if Imitrex was as cheap as marijuana (relatively speaking) and it still worked for me, I would continue to use it and not use marijuana. But that is not going to happen because Imitrex (sumatriphan) can build up an immunity within the body as it did with me. After Imnitrex, all traditional methods are exhausted, and the next step is surgical procedure (as if...they dont even know what causes migraines! What will they be operating on?)
Worst hangover I ever got was after drinking *very* expensive wine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I would like to have an example of that. The physically addicting part of smoking is not under conscious control. A smoker (somebody who inhales the smoke, not a "puffer"), WILL experience withdrawal...it is just a matter of degree. All of it is unpleasant.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree. I personally have counseled heroin addicts who kicked that and still could not quit smoking.
You got it dude.
I think Nocotiene sits as the second most addictive drug known to man (chemically speaking).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Worst hangover I ever got was after drinking *very* expensive wine.

Champagne does that to me. HATE the stuff. In fact, all alcohol does that to me. Im not a drinker.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-addictive-causes-withdrawal-study-796751

“It’s very similar to what people experience with tobacco,” Alan J. Budney, the co-author of the study, told ABC. “It makes you irritable. It makes you restless. It makes it hard to sleep.”

Dude, I would be embarrassed to even mention this "study" in the company of professionals. :) Excerpt:

Scientists asked regular users to stop using cannabis for two weeks, and many said their ability to work and personal relationships suffered, according to the Daily Mail. The study polled 49 men and women who used marijuana more than five times weekly, and researchers collected urine samples from them to make sure the study’s results were accurate.

49 people? And their ability to work and personal relationships suffered...hmmm. So, lets take a cancer patient and remove his meds for two weeks. I can guarantee that the cancer patient will become sicker, and his/her personal relationships will suffer. How about we just try this same "study" with water, air or food? Just LOL! Of course things will go downhill...but that is not "withdrawal". It is misleading to publish stuff like this. Wanna see withdrawal?

Heroin withdrawal:

Alcohol withdrawal:

Marijuana does not have PHYSICALLY addicting components. And I hate to tell you, but the scientific study of marijuana has been going on since long before you or I was born. The data does not lie. Nobody has died from marijuana use, at any level, even from highly purified concentrates of THC. I suggest looking at ACTUAL studies done by credible, reputable scientists who have used the scientific method and recorded empirical data on the subject. Here are 10 such studies conveniently in one place at the CMCR:

http://www.cmcr.ucsd.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=41&Itemid=135

On that page with the 10 scientific studies done under strict conditions, more than half of them were conducted over 10 years with much larger sample sizes.

Its one thing to say that you don't like marijuana because it gives you headaches, and another thing entirely to try and claim that marijuana is addictive or that it impairs the minds of users. Perhaps you should just leave it at "I dont like it because it gives me headaches". :) The science of marijuana is not in question here. Finding a two week "study" or two like the one you posted with a laughably tiny 49 person sample in Amsterdam, and trying to use it as reference material here is just...well, it is insignificant.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Lung cancer has silenced some of our great actors/singers over the years- from Humphrey Bogart to Nat King Cole! how much richer the 60's & 70's art/music/movie scene would have been with those artists still around?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I don't disagree that quitting smoking must be hard. I also think it's great that someone gets up one morning and starts taking action to quit. Like everything in life, there are unfortunately no quick fixes to a problem. It takes gradual, small steps to overcome your problem

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I don't disagree that quitting smoking must be hard. I also think it's great that someone gets up one morning and starts taking action to quit. Like everything in life, there are unfortunately no quick fixes to a problem. It takes gradual, small steps to overcome your problem

My dad quit cold turkey back in '77- he had been smoking since he was 15 in ww II ('42) and was a bear to live with for a week! He never went back. there was one problem though - after 3 or 4 months it all got out of his system (and our home) and he discovered what a rotten cook my mom was- she wasn't good with flavor! :D but it was nice to not smell like smoke everywhere I went (because it clings to the clothing & hair of everyone in the house) and not see the blue haze in the living room! We repainted our ceilings one last time that year (it had been an annual event) and they stayed white! :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
When my folks both quit smoking (at the same time), all the houseplants died.

I'm not kidding.

B

Backstep

I know of two, my parents. There is an exception to every rule, which goes back to the individual.

B

Backstep

Dude, I would be embarrassed to even mention this "study" in the company of professionals. :) Excerpt:

49 people? And their ability to work and personal relationships suffered...hmmm. So, lets take a cancer patient and remove his meds for two weeks. I can guarantee that the cancer patient will become sicker, and his/her personal relationships will suffer. How about we just try this same "study" with water, air or food? Just LOL! Of course things will go downhill...but that is not "withdrawal". It is misleading to publish stuff like this. Wanna see withdrawal?

Heroin withdrawal:

Alcohol withdrawal:

Marijuana does not have PHYSICALLY addicting components. And I hate to tell you, but the scientific study of marijuana has been going on since long before you or I was born. The data does not lie. Nobody has died from marijuana use, at any level, even from highly purified concentrates of THC. I suggest looking at ACTUAL studies done by credible, reputable scientists who have used the scientific method and recorded empirical data on the subject. Here are 10 such studies conveniently in one place at the CMCR:

http://www.cmcr.ucsd.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=41&Itemid=135

On that page with the 10 scientific studies done under strict conditions, more than half of them were conducted over 10 years with much larger sample sizes.

Its one thing to say that you don't like marijuana because it gives you headaches, and another thing entirely to try and claim that marijuana is addictive or that it impairs the minds of users. Perhaps you should just leave it at "I dont like it because it gives me headaches". :) The science of marijuana is not in question here. Finding a two week "study" or two like the one you posted with a laughably tiny 49 person sample in Amsterdam, and trying to use it as reference material here is just...well, it is insignificant.

You're juggling apples and oranges, why not stay with nicotine?