Leonard Nimoy urges fans to quit smoking, reveals lung disease

B

Backstep

Sci-fi legend Leonard Nimoy revealed that he suffers from lung disease, even though he quit smoking 30 years ago.
Nimoy, 82, revealed on his Twitter that he suffers from COPD -- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease -- which is caused by smoking and gets worse through time.

Offering grandfatherly advice, Nimoy told his followers to "quit now!" and to "LLAP" -- his Star Trek character's famous greeting, "Live long and prosper."

The actor was spotted last month in a wheelchair at a New York hospital, attached to a breathing apparatus.

COPD is an umbrella term used to refer to a number of illnesses, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, that are caused by smoking and damage the air sacs and passages in the lungs.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2014/02/06/...t-smoking-reveals-lung-disease/5191391698647/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sci-fi legend Leonard Nimoy revealed that he suffers from lung disease, even though he quit smoking 30 years ago.
Nimoy, 82, revealed on his Twitter that he suffers from COPD -- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease -- which is caused by smoking and gets worse through time.

Offering grandfatherly advice, Nimoy told his followers to "quit now!" and to "LLAP" -- his Star Trek character's famous greeting, "Live long and prosper."

The actor was spotted last month in a wheelchair at a New York hospital, attached to a breathing apparatus.

COPD is an umbrella term used to refer to a number of illnesses, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, that are caused by smoking and damage the air sacs and passages in the lungs.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2014/02/06/...t-smoking-reveals-lung-disease/5191391698647/

Oh man. :( The three times I met Leonard Nimoy he was smoking a cigarette. Mind you, this was in the 1970s. Once at the Star Trek convention in Chicago in 1975, another time in 1978 in New York, and in 1979 in a cafe in Beverly Hills (you could smoke inside restaurants back then). I smoke too. :( Now I really want to quit. At least cigarettes. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My Dad had COPD and my Mom was dx'd with it last year. Both quit smoking several decades before their diagnoses.

Nasty stuff.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I was raised by a three pack of cigs a day dad until he quit back in 1977. he lived another 12 years and died after a massive stroke (also can be caused by smoking) so I have NEVER smoked. I lost my tonsils at 17 due to dad's smoking and have had trouble with asthma that was aggrivated by second hand smoke my entire life. I loved Utah because it was smoke free in the 80s (i think cali was the only other smoke-free state at the time) now Indiana has finally gone smoke free. I don't like any kind of smoke (cigs or pot) because all do damage to lungs. My sister's hubby had COPD for a decade and was just diagnosed with emphysema.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was raised by a three pack of cigs a day dad until he quit back in 1977. he lived another 12 years and died after a massive stroke (also can be caused by smoking) so I have NEVER smoked. I lost my tonsils at 17 due to dad's smoking and have had trouble with asthma that was aggrivated by second hand smoke my entire life. I loved Utah because it was smoke free in the 80s (i think cali was the only other smoke-free state at the time) now Indiana has finally gone smoke free. I don't like any kind of smoke (cigs or pot) because all do damage to lungs. My sister's hubby had COPD for a decade and was just diagnosed with emphysema.

This area, sweetie, is where you are truly blessed. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
At least with pot you aren't going out every few minutes for a smoke break. Cigarettes, on the other hand, seem deliberately designed to require a "refill" every half hour to an hour.

Thus, FAR more lung damage than marijuana if you smoke it, when you get down to it.

Those who use vaporizers are in a much healthier position, lung-wise.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I was about to post this.I am sadden by the news. This is one habit you want to avoid. The earlier you quit the better.

At least with pot you aren't going out every few minutes for a smoke break. Cigarettes, on the other hand, seem deliberately designed to require a "refill" every half hour to an hour.

Thus, FAR more lung damage than marijuana if you smoke it, when you get down to it.

Those who use vaporizers are in a much healthier position, lung-wise.
The smoking manufacturers/companies KNEW and KNOWS that smoking cigarettes are bad for you.

These companies intentionally put harmful/addictive chemicals, knowing that it's going to do more harm than good. I can't see smoking being banned in any country mainly because, it gets taxed.

It's also too late to ban it anyway. It would not only hurt businesses, it would just go underground and policing that would prove to be a headache too. The only way to get people's attention is through education I guess.

You should see the ads they run here though.They are graphic but they get the message across...Well, to some anyway.

I am glad I didn't pick up this disgusting habit.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was about to post this.I am sadden by the news. This is one habit you want to avoid. The earlier you quit the better.

The smoking manufacturers/companies KNEW and KNOWS that smoking cigarettes are bad for you.

Not only that, but they actively seek to add new smokers to the list of those addicted to nicotine already. The phased out K-Rations issued to soldiers in the military came with 4 cigarettes! The reason cigarettes were only 50c for a 20 pack was to make them appealing to those who didn't smoke, and the images of macho guys smoking in the commercials of the day did not help.

These companies intentionally put harmful/addictive chemicals, knowing that it's going to do more harm than good. I can't see smoking being banned in any country mainly because, it gets taxed.

Specifically, they add chemicals and additives to intensify the addictive effects of nicotine. They also have an additive in the paper to make the cigarette keep burning (so you have to keep buying more).

It's also too late to ban it anyway. It would not only hurt businesses, it would just go underground and policing that would prove to be a headache too. The only way to get people's attention is through education I guess.

I would debate this... I dont think it is too late to ban them. I especially dont think it is too late to regulate the product by making it illegal to add things to the tobacco. I think that the largest packs you should be able to buy should only contain 10 cigarettes. I think the carton should be banned. Also, triple the tax on them. The truth is, tobacco and nicotine are just not enough of a draw for most smokers to justify paying over $10.00 a pack for them, no matter how bad a smoker they are. I would certainly quit easier if I knew that my habit would cost me $10.00 every time I wanted a cigarette pack.

You should see the ads they run here though.They are graphic but they get the message across...Well, to some anyway.

I think probably the biggest thing they need to do is to prohibit non-smokers from being involved in quit smoking programs as guides or program heads. ONLY ex-smokers should be allowed. My work with recovery houses shows that non-users of drugs and alcohol and who have never tried or used those things are completely unqualified to help those who have issues with substance abuse. The Board routinely rejects applications for drug counselors who have never been addicted or in rehab. A simplistic solution of "Just Say No" is as useless and ineffective in getting people to quit smoking as it was in the "war on drugs". There is nothing worse than somebody who has never smoked telling a smoker how easy it is to quit.

Having said that, I am determined to quit now. :( But I need to do it cold turkey somehow, since the statistics are best for that method over "weaning" with electronic cigarettes or the patches and such.

am glad I didn't pick up this disgusting habit.

Feel fortunate!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Dude,
A pack of 25 smokes is 16 bucks at the cheapest here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude,
A pack of 25 smokes is 16 bucks at the cheapest here.

WHAAAAAAAT???? Youre kidding, right? Here, the "high end" cigs like American Spirit and Nat Sherman might be 7 or 8 dollars a pack, but no pack I know of exceeds $10.00 unless you buy them in traps like Las Vegas and Palm Springs. I would quit much easier if it cost a dollar per cigarette.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
no, I am not kidding you.

BTW, who do you think still smokes?
The people making 200k per year, or the people making 40k per year.

Still think punitive tax is a "good idea"?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no, I am not kidding you.

BTW, who do you think still smokes?
The people making 200k per year, or the people making 40k per year.

Still think punitive tax is a "good idea"?

Yes, I do. Poor people dont swill Dom Perignon because they cannot afford it. Poor people who smoke in California can go only so far until they become ex-smokers by necessity. They can bum smokes, scour ashtrays, but eventually they end up quitting. I wonder why the law does not allow for SINGLE cigarettes to be sold? If they did that, I would change my habit to be more like my once or twice annual occasion to smoke a cigar. Buy one really good cuban, and take three or four days to smoke it (cause they become nasty after that :)).

I smoke these:

download (1).jpg

They cost $7.00/pack (usual cigs cost between $3.50 and $5.50). I also have a Blu electronic cigarette which I use at home. Those cost $10.00 but they are well worth that considering I can use them inside at work. If these numbers get bigger, I will quit.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Single cigarettes used to be sold.

If I put your cost up *tomorrow* to 20 bucks a packet, would you *quit* tomorrow, or would you find an excuse to keep smoking?
don't be blasie about that question, really THINK about it.

As for comparing a smoke to "Swimming in Dom", you are a moron.
Wake the frack up sunshine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Single cigarettes used to be sold.

If I put your cost up *tomorrow* to 20 bucks a packet, would you *quit* tomorrow, or would you find an excuse to keep smoking?
don't be blasie about that question, really THINK about it.

As for comparing a smoke to "Swimming in Dom", you are a moron.
Wake the frack up sunshine.

I would quit. Im only a 5-cigs a day smoker. I would quit, no doubt about it. The comment about the Dom, yeah...smoking is a luxury, dude. It is a pure luxury and poor people should not be spending money on cigarettes. Unfortunately, marijuana does not replace tobacco and is used in a completely different fashion. But at least it isnt addictive.

I would not smoke if my cigs cost $25.00 a pack like you are paying.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I would quit. Im only a 5-cigs a day smoker.
Dude, we have had 2 hour convos when you have smoked more, probably because I have as well
I would quit, no doubt about it.
Ok, quit tomorrow.

The comment about the Dom, yeah...smoking is a luxury, dude. It is a pure luxury and poor people should not be spending money on cigarettes.
No, it is an addiction. If you can't afford Dom, you will drink whatever.

Unfortunately, marijuana does not replace tobacco and is used in a completely different fashion. But at least it isnt addictive.
Stop smoking pot, enjoy your migranes. :lol:

No, you would not START, and that's supposed to be the point of our stupid tax on tobacco. What gets ignored is the fact that it is generally the poorer, or less educated (or just stupid like me) who started at all. and it is them who are paying a tax that a person who could drink Dom would baulk at or hire a tax accountant to avoid.

B

Backstep

I would quit. Im only a 5-cigs a day smoker. I would quit, no doubt about it. The comment about the Dom, yeah...smoking is a luxury, dude. It is a pure luxury and poor people should not be spending money on cigarettes. Unfortunately, marijuana does not replace tobacco and is used in a completely different fashion. But at least it isnt addictive.

http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-addictive-causes-withdrawal-study-796751

“It’s very similar to what people experience with tobacco,” Alan J. Budney, the co-author of the study, told ABC. “It makes you irritable. It makes you restless. It makes it hard to sleep.”

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-addictive-causes-withdrawal-study-796751

“It’s very similar to what people experience with tobacco,” Alan J. Budney, the co-author of the study, told ABC. “It makes you irritable. It makes you restless. It makes it hard to sleep.”

I think a study is good for the "bell curve", but tells you nothing about the individual. I know people who have gotten addicted to the "high" of pot, but NOT to smoking pot itself. I stopped smoking pot "cold turkey", but I did not miss it, or crave it, or want it anymore, I just, had enough. if it were chemically addictive, I would not have been able to do it with ZERO side effects. I missed no sleep, I was not restless, I did not crave it, I just............ stopped.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, we have had 2 hour convos when you have smoked more, probably because I have as well

Ok, quit tomorrow.

Have cigs gone up to $25.00 a pack yet? Even half that? No? (lighting up a cig right now).

No, it is an addiction. If you can't afford Dom, you will drink whatever.

I know smokers (like myself) who will turn their nose up at a menthol or a cheap generic cigarette. I have a definite preference for brand and quality of my tobacco. If that changes, I move on to another brand, But if the prices suddenly increase to double, I will quit.

Stop smoking pot, enjoy your migranes. :lol:

:) Good thing marijuana is considered a medicine in that regard and not just a vice.

No, you would not START, and that's supposed to be the point of our stupid tax on tobacco. What gets ignored is the fact that it is generally the poorer, or less educated (or just stupid like me) who started at all. and it is them who are paying a tax that a person who could drink Dom would baulk at or hire a tax accountant to avoid.

Education has nothing to do with smoking. :) I started because in Boot Camp, the "cool" guys all were smokers and they got a "special" smoke break others did not get. They were cheap, and being able to smoke one in the field was almost considered a special privilege. That was 1980. Now its 2014 and I am still a smoker. But I did go almost a year without smoking. It was boring. I started again, but still I rarely smoke more than 5 cigs a day. I have been known to smoke more under stress though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think a study is good for the "bell curve", but tells you nothing about the individual. I know people who have gotten addicted to the "high" of pot, but NOT to smoking pot itself. I stopped smoking pot "cold turkey", but I did not miss it, or crave it, or want it anymore, I just, had enough. if it were chemically addictive, I would not have been able to do it with ZERO side effects. I missed no sleep, I was not restless, I did not crave it, I just............ stopped.

Marijuana has no physically addicting components. Nicotine is physically addictive and will cause physical withdrawal symptoms when ceased. As far as getting addicted to the "high" of pot, I think that would be better described as "extreme desire" than addiction. Nicotine addiction is the real thing.