Jaime Paglia says Eureka's final season will be 'a love letter our fans'

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed. After going dark in the first three episodes Eureka is back to its usual self.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Ally in her hot sleepwear put it over the top. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well between Allison's sleepwear and Jo in the shower they definitely went cheesecake tonight.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There was actually more sex in the Eureka episode than there was in the Lost Girl episode.

Actually Lost Girl had a graphic sex scene that needed to have a warning before it. They showed "pumping" movement which is a big no-no most of the time.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Actually Lost Girl had a graphic sex scene that needed to have a warning before it. They showed "pumping" movement which is a big no-no most of the time.

I was thinking about the episodes' overall sexual content. I did not think that the Lost Girl scene needed to have the warning, but I have never been able to figure out the details behind basic cable channels' standards and practices.

How can one have a sex scene without the "pumping" action?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Eh.

Eureka had two cheesecake scenes they used for comic effect is what was otherwise a light but well executed episode.

Lost Girl I can't comment on. I tried it and the show just isn't for me (as Graybrew predicted accurately :D).

SciphonicStranger

They had a very unorthodox wedding tonight. Only 5 episodes left. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed it is sad. Good episode and typical that SyFy forces the quality shows off the air to stick with trash.

SciphonicStranger

Indeed it is sad. Good episode and typical that SyFy forces the quality shows off the air to stick with trash.

Well, at least we have 20 weeks of WH 13 to look forward to. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They preempt it to death (Dresden Files), shuffle its schedule around constantly so it does not settle in and pick up an audience (Farscape) and on and on. They are turning into the reality show network and it is pretty bad.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They preempt it to death (Dresden Files), shuffle its schedule around constantly so it does not settle in and pick up an audience (Farscape) and on and on.
Ya know, there are these things called "program guides", they used to be made of paper, but now they can be conveniently located on your TV itself.
As for shuffling around, most Scifi programs get ordinary Live numbers, but pretty good +7 numbers because people are watching when they choose to. If thats the case, then what difference does it make WHEN they air a show, except for potential advertising revenue, which people aren't watching anyway.
All I see is a situation where people are desperate to blame anyone but themselves.

They are turning into the reality show network and it is pretty bad.
Yes, it is bad, but if they can't make money from there supposed "core audience", what do you expect them to do?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Shuffling programs around does reduce ratings. It's because people form habits and allocate time in a habitual manner. So when they keep moving the show people do not necessarily keep moving with it.

What they are doing is extremely short sighted - basically going for whatever is the cheapest to produce. Instead they should be trying to build the brand - create quality (as in well scripted and acted) shows that form the basis of a lineup and keep them in the same timeslots so people know where to find them. That is how USA Network has built itself up - not with reality garbage with with original scripted shows.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it is bad, but if they can't make money from there supposed "core audience", what do you expect them to do?

I think the main issue the core audience has with channels like SyFy is the trending away from the theme of the channel itself. Case in point last week I was flipping thru channels and Animal Planet had one of those car repo type shows on. I had to do a double take and check to make sure it was Animal Planet. They also love to do ghost shows on Animal Planet, go figure. (I won't even mention wrestling on SyFy)

At any rate, if there was more fidelity to the theme of each channel, even with reality shows, then there would be less dissatisfaction overall.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think the main issue the core audience has with channels like SyFy is the trending away from the theme of the channel itself. Case in point last week I was flipping thru channels and Animal Planet had one of those car repo type shows on. I had to do a double take and check to make sure it was Animal Planet. They also love to do ghost shows on Animal Planet, go figure. (I won't even mention wrestling on SyFy)

At any rate, if there was more fidelity to the theme of each channel, even with reality shows, then there would be less dissatisfaction overall.

Fidelity is a two way street however Shaved.
I think it is fair to say as I have before, the target audience of Scifi are probably THE most likely to embrace new tech and new ways of watching what they want, and if they have no problem cutting the cord or whatever, WHY should a station NOT go out and grab what money it can, or is a station supposed to be more loyal to its audience than it's audience is to it?

G

Graybrew1

I thought this last ep was really cute. Poor Holly it seems might be a true goner...again, unless Zane can save her. Overall, it was a very funny and enjoyable ep.

SciphonicStranger

I seem to have miscounted - now we are down to the final 5 episodes.

Smarter Carter certainly seemed like it was written before they knew that they were cancelled. Allison's brother could have been a good recurring character.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed. I liked the episode - it had some meat and was still "Eureka" in its tone and feel. Having Andy turn psycho from Carter's enhancements was a nice twist and their project to make a body for Holly is a good plot concept (Felicia Day has been a good addition to the cast - too bad the show is ending).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I find myself trying to spot the threads that will tie the whole series up at the end. I wonder if they're just going to end it quickly though and not give a big build up? Or maybe they'll do a 3- parter? Hmm...