Jaime Paglia says Eureka's final season will be 'a love letter our fans'

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The one point I will nit pick about this season is that every episode seems to involve the characters either switching bodies and/or being "brainwashed" into being evil. I don't think there's been a single episode where "Andy" wasn't under the influence of the dark side in some fashion. It almost seems like the writers were running out of ideas because they've been recycling this plot device (brain swapping/brainwashing) over and over and over.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I do recall, however, that it was suggested very early last season that Beverly and company were going to screw with Andy's innards, but then nothing appeared to come of it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The one point I will nit pick about this season is that every episode seems to involve the characters either switching bodies and/or being "brainwashed" into being evil. I don't think there's been a single episode where "Andy" wasn't under the influence of the dark side in some fashion. It almost seems like the writers were running out of ideas because they've been recycling this plot device (brain swapping/brainwashing) over and over and over.

Actually there have been episodes not involving mind frakking. It just feels like that because both the big opening story and the big ending story are all about body doubles and mind control.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Actually there have been episodes not involving mind frakking. It just feels like that because both the big opening story and the big ending story are all about body doubles and mind control.

They had Andy go out of his mind in an attempt to suck power in one of the eps and let's face it, they've overdone that gimmick with his character.

I guess it just seems to have gotten to be a tired plot contrivance to keep having things happen to the characters brains. I would have liked a bit more in the way of wonky experiments that didn't turn everyone into robot zombies but rather harkened back to the beginning where Carter had to deal with crazy stuff like that on a regular basis.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, but that again plays to what I was mentioning. Out of the whole season it is just 4 episodes I believe. But because they were the "keystone" episodes it feels as if the whole season has been "brain" centered. Usually Eureka started a season with a different type of theme than it ended it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
True, but that again plays to what I was mentioning. Out of the whole season it is just 4 episodes I believe. But because they were the "keystone" episodes it feels as if the whole season has been "brain" centered. Usually Eureka started a season with a different type of theme than it ended it.

4 episodes too many. :nono:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Was it really just 4 episodes? Seemed like more.

I still can't believe we are down to the final episode. SyFy will be running a marathon with most of season 5 leading into it.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
The best part about tonight's episode was the "6 more weeks" line. That was a nice jab at SyFy.

It was left open enough for a restart someday.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really nice finale!

A lot of characters got good closure especially Jo and Fargo - they both finally get a chance at happiness. And Eureka is saved in a manner of speaking - the funding won't be as abundant and they will have to produce things that can actually make money along with their usual projects but they are also completely free of DoD. Plus with the way it ended making the occasional Eureka special is childs play - and they have perfectly set up some of the characters to make crossover appearances in other shows (especially Fargo and Holly).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Welcome back GB!

To me this was overall a good finale. Eureka still exists and the characters got some closure on areas of their lives (especially Jo and Fargo). What was especially cool is Fargo and Holly are setup well to appear in other shows in the Eureka "universe" in crossover roles.

As to other finales, I like you disliked the finales of SGU (remember the review?) and SGA (tried to pack way too much into too little time). SG1 I thought had a nice sort of "life goes on" sendoff (which was needed as there were two DVD films that followed "Unending"). Where we differ is I thought the BSG finale was terrible.

G

Graybrew1

Welcome back GB!

To me this was overall a good finale. Eureka still exists and the characters got some closure on areas of their lives (especially Jo and Fargo). What was especially cool is Fargo and Holly are setup well to appear in other shows in the Eureka "universe" in crossover roles.

As to other finales, I like you disliked the finales of SGU (remember the review?) and SGA (tried to pack way too much into too little time). SG1 I thought had a nice sort of "life goes on" sendoff (which was needed as there were two DVD films that followed "Unending"). Where we differ is I thought the BSG finale was terrible.

Yes, I did not love the BSG finale either.
I was not really in love with this one either.

It left a few holes and felt a bit forced.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, I did not love the BSG finale either.
I was not really in love with this one either.

It left a few holes and felt a bit forced.

True, there were a couple of places where more exposition would have been nice. And had the producers gotten more advance notice that they needed a finale and also gotten more time than this I expect we would have gotten both. Really they should have been given 2 hours for the finale.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I really enjoyed the finale, and loved the little surprises and digs.

A store called Paglia's (after the showrunner), the 6 more weeks comment, and then the suprise appearance of Grant Imahara (Mythbusters) with a robot (he's big into building robots).

And I had a chance to think nice things about Beverly when it was all over with...

Good to see Dr OldSpice again. :)