His Dark Materials

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
Sounds interesting. Let's hope they can pull off the transition form book to screen.

Seeing how it will be made by the BBC in partnership with HBO, it should be great. With being a series the BBC could go into detail following the books, more than the movie The Golden Compass could. With the series being on BBC1 we in the US will get to see this on BBCA i hope.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Seeing how it will be made by the BBC in partnership with HBO, it should be great. With being a series the BBC could go into detail following the books, more than the movie The Golden Compass could. With the series being on BBC1 we in the US will get to see this on BBCA i hope.

i dont knw--"in partnership with HBO" kind of tells me that HBO wants to put it on their subscription service. but just have to wait and see

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just wondering-since you have interest in this book/show, are you a fan of any type of Tolkien (the books especially more so then the movies)

or even game of thrones? not a whole lot of interest around here for "fantasy" stuff--tends to get derided as "dungeons and dragons" fare.
trying to explain the diff between Tolkien and D&D to someone who hasn't read Tolkien just gets more derision--:moody:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's be honest.

The Polar Express bombed because the acting was flat and the story dull, and the CGI was in that bad place called the "uncanny valley". Even if all BBC does is go live action instead the result will be better.

Oh, and your current avatar is Colin Baker and the prior one Roger Delgado (THE Master).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Let's be honest.

The Polar Express bombed because the acting was flat and the story dull, and the CGI was in that bad place called the "uncanny valley". Even if all BBC does is go live action instead the result will be better.

Oh, and your current avatar is Colin Baker and the prior one Roger Delgado (THE Master).

I didn't think that the CGI was bad but I do agree the story was dull and the acting uninspiring. (Nicole Kidman can be quite good in some roles but certainly wasn't in this one.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
just wondering-since you have interest in this book/show, are you a fan of any type of Tolkien (the books especially more so then the movies)

or even game of thrones? not a whole lot of interest around here for "fantasy" stuff--tends to get derided as "dungeons and dragons" fare.
trying to explain the diff between Tolkien and D&D to someone who hasn't read Tolkien just gets more derision--:moody:

Funny you should mention this as I just read (reread?) The Fellowship of the Ring. Tolkien is good but he hamstrings himself with all sorts of oddities such as every other page having the hobbits sing a song and nonsense like that. (Tom Bombadil bugged the sh*t out of me.) There's also wayyyyyy too much walking but not enough action. And Sam's devotion to Frodo is just plain creepy, more so because it is never really explained.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The "Uncanny Valley" effect is a psychological reaction to CGI or robotics or masks or whatever where the subject is very close, but not quite, human. This is what I meant by "bad CGI".

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/the-uncanny-valley

It posits that the reaction of people turns to revulsion the closer the approximation gets to human when it does not fully achieve "human". So in essence the idea is that if you cannot achieve full "human" then the way to go is either live action or just make them much less human.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member

Yes i like Tolkien, Both the books and the movies ( not so much The Hobbit movies) He did get to fond of inconsequential details of middle earth, but that did add to the mental visuals.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
Let's be honest.

The Polar Express, the Tom Hanks movie? Are we talking the same books/movie?

The picture of the Master is looking in the guys soul for not being a Dr Who fan. Guess I will need to spell things out better here.

Check Colin's collar see if you can find the other avatar.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We sure are talking the same bad movie.

Do you have Colin sort of superimposed over Tom?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The Polar Express, the Tom Hanks movie? Are we talking the same books/movie?

The picture of the Master is looking in the guys soul for not being a Dr Who fan. Guess I will need to spell things out better here.

Check Colin's collar see if you can find the other avatar.

Jon Pertwee.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We sure are talking the same bad movie.

Do you have Colin sort of superimposed over Tom?

He means the question mark. I still have not figured out the question mark thing....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Funny you should mention this as I just read (reread?) The Fellowship of the Ring. Tolkien is good but he hamstrings himself with all sorts of oddities such as every other page having the hobbits sing a song and nonsense like that. (Tom Bombadil bugged the sh*t out of me.) There's also wayyyyyy too much walking but not enough action. And Sam's devotion to Frodo is just plain creepy, more so because it is never really explained.

FotR is my least favorite of them all

it is an "establishment piece" so it had to go into detail, yes, sometimes quite dragged out. It is worth though for the encounters at Weathertop, the escape over the Barrowdowns and the --all too scant-encounters with the Elves in the forests on their way to and from the Gray Havens and other locales (there was still a Elven settlement above the Gray Havens approximately the size and pop of Rivendale-but this like other details, only came out in appendices and the "behind the scenes" books-History of Middle Earth series)

I know-painfully so-that these books in the style they were written in, are considered tedious by many, especially the younger ppl. I insisted that my kids read the whole trilogy (got help with my son-verified he read the whole thing because it was on the list for his accelerated reader testing. checked his test results online--yeah,he read them :chuncky:) and not just watch the movie. And with the movies, I only allowed them to watch the extended editions. Lotr's especially had more book detail in the ext ed's then Hobbit did. Hobbits ext ed's were just more fluff and stuff out of Jackson's cash addled mind.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes i like Tolkien, Both the books and the movies ( not so much The Hobbit movies) He did get to fond of inconsequential details of middle earth, but that did add to the mental visuals.

Bolded= Do you mean Jackson?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually lets dispense with some of the mystery. There is a lot of variety on this forum in tastes for different shows and literary works. The biggest Whovians are probably Bluce Ree and I, as our forum history will show. Overmind One is the biggest Trek fan I would guess, and the two of us are probably more into the older works too ( I correctly identified his username reference years ago).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Let's keep who is the biggest SGU fan on this site a mystery for now. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Letting us in on your deep dark secrets....:psychosga:????

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually lets dispense with some of the mystery. There is a lot of variety on this forum in tastes for different shows and literary works. The biggest Whovians are probably Bluce Ree and I, as our forum history will show. Overmind One is the biggest Trek fan I would guess, and the two of us are probably more into the older works too ( I correctly identified his username reference years ago).

:lol: :lol: :lol: