Han Solo: A Star Wars Story BOMBS at the Box Office. What next?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
RE: Galaxy's Edge (Star Wars Land) at Disneyland...

For two decades, from 1950 through about 1970, Disneyland's "Tomorrowland" was way more inclusive than the new themed areas named after characters or movies. Fantasyland was already named to include future princesses and princes and magical beings and it is still called Fantasyland. But it won't really matter if Star Wars crumbles and leaves Galaxy's Edge behind. It will have great rides, new restaurants and ridiculously high priced soda and junk food (with ears). It will be somewhere to go in the park.

And I will definitely be going to see it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Jenny Nicholson's take on Solo is funny:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
RE: Galaxy's Edge (Star Wars Land) at Disneyland...

For two decades, from 1950 through about 1970, Disneyland's "Tomorrowland" was way more inclusive than the new themed areas named after characters or movies. Fantasyland was already named to include future princesses and princes and magical beings and it is still called Fantasyland. But it won't really matter if Star Wars crumbles and leaves Galaxy's Edge behind. It will have great rides, new restaurants and ridiculously high priced soda and junk food (with ears). It will be somewhere to go in the park.

And I will definitely be going to see it. :)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...t-first-loss-disneys-star-wars-empire-1116927

looks like the new movie flopped hard. Is this the beginning of the end? I feel sorry for the star wars fans.I get the feeling that disney intentionally burnt this franchise to the ground and Lucas either doesn't care or he's powerless to do anything. The fact that he even sold it, should send alarm bells.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She is hilarious but nice at the same time. Kind of like a Plinkett review with a gentler, feminine touch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...t-first-loss-disneys-star-wars-empire-1116927

looks like the new movie flopped hard. Is this the beginning of the end? I feel sorry for the star wars fans.I get the feeling that disney intentionally burnt this franchise to the ground and Lucas either doesn't care or he's powerless to do anything. The fact that he even sold it, should send alarm bells.

THIS.

I don't think Disney is intentionally torching Star Wars, but I do think it's burning because Kathleen Kennedy is cooking it. She is tossing in her own seasonings, subbing out quality for a social agenda, and basically doing all of that without supervision. Who is the person who watches these films before they are released, and is this person conscious during the screenings?

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
THIS.

I don't think Disney is intentionally torching Star Wars, but I do think it's burning because Kathleen Kennedy is cooking it. She is tossing in her own seasonings, subbing out quality for a social agenda, and basically doing all of that without supervision. Who is the person who watches these films before they are released, and is this person conscious during the screenings?
I don't get why destruction is so contagious. It's horrible to even think of it. Why someone needs to pass an agenda. To me, anyone planning an agenda has a malicious mindset. This is why I don't take sides whether it's left or right. It's a mental disorder and it goes beyond obsession. The whole purpose of writing a story is because it's about the passion which I think humanity has forgotten about.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
"The Real Reason Star Wars is Failing as a Whole -More Than Solo Box Office"

heisenberg

Earl Grey
"The Real Reason Star Wars is Failing as a Whole -More Than Solo Box Office"

So how do you guys think they will announce Kathleen Kennedy's firing? :daniel_new004:

I don't think they will make a big production of it rather, they will claim that she's "moving" to a different division and she will be lauded for successfully bringing Star Wars back to the big screen and thanks for all your hard work blah blah blah. :rolleye0014:
9 fucking movies. lol I think they are just trying to throw money at it hoping that this would work. haha idiots.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
9 fucking movies. lol I think they are just trying to throw money at it hoping that this would work. haha idiots.

This is corporate-think at it's finest. All these committees and teams know how to do is to "move a product". They have already planned out that there will be 9 "projects" which will be created, packaged and then released on a carefully planned schedule. And the saddest committee is the one who has to project numbers into these "products". The mistake they make is projecting from past earnings of "products" like the original trilogy, the prequels and viewership numbers from TCW and Rebels, merchandise, whatever numbers they can get their hands on. None of them even understand that there are actual people out there like you and me and that Chinese family and their children whose viewership is part of those projections. The bottom line is the "product". Mess that up and nothing else matters.

Star Wars (and also Star Trek) should have been no-brainers. None of these corporate committees think they need to hear what us fans and future fans have to say.

This is corporate-think at it's finest. All these committees and teams know how to do is to "move a product". They have already planned out that there will be 9 "projects" which will be created, packaged and then released on a carefully planned schedule. And the saddest committee is the one who has to project numbers into these "products". The mistake they make is projecting from past earnings of "products" like the original trilogy, the prequels and viewership numbers from TCW and Rebels, merchandise, whatever numbers they can get their hands on. None of them even understand that there are actual people out there like you and me and that Chinese family and their children whose viewership is part of those projections. The bottom line is the "product". Mess that up and nothing else matters.

Star Wars (and also Star Trek) should have been no-brainers. None of these corporate committees think they need to hear what us fans and future fans have to say.

It's corporate cynicism at its finest. They fail to understand that none of these properties were created by corporate committee. Star Trek and Star Wars, respectively, came from one man's vision. That's why they became successful to begin with. But if a corporate committee tries to create something original they end up with DEFIANCE. That show was nothing but a mish mash of tired scifi tropes and memes and caricatures. It wasn't genuinely successful. It didn't engender generations of loyal fans who clamored for more. It faded away because it was a cynical corporate attempt to pander to the wallets of scifi fans.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
agreed - this we also discussed as a key reason Guardians of the Galaxy works well - a unified vision.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's corporate cynicism at its finest. They fail to understand that none of these properties were created by corporate committee. Star Trek and Star Wars, respectively, came from one man's vision. That's why they became successful to begin with. But if a corporate committee tries to create something original they end up with DEFIANCE. That show was nothing but a mish mash of tired scifi tropes and memes and caricatures. It wasn't genuinely successful. It didn't engender generations of loyal fans who clamored for more. It faded away because it was a cynical corporate attempt to pander to the wallets of scifi fans.

This particular film made the cardinal mistake of trying to reboot a character (Han Solo). Had this film been a success, we would no doubt be led down a path of more movies with this dude playing Han for some "new audience". Some committee probably had a breakfast meeting about that. :zelenkaanime17: I bet the printers in the departments of those committees and teams have the names of Star Wars characters, And there are likely countless, sad little action figures of Rey and Finn and a Porg or two on people's desks. And the grumpy older dude with the old Luke Skywalker metal figure (painted himself).

We see what they are doing: they have to kill off the original characters and replace them with younger versions or just create amalgams of them in new characters. And they let Kathleen Kennedy do that? They deserve what they got.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

They'll just get new fans given that a lot of people have heard of star wars. Basically the original SW fans are replaceable and have been thrown under the bus but now they are just finding ways to scalp more money from ignorant people.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They'll just get new fans given that a lot of people have heard of star wars. Basically the original SW fans are replaceable and have been thrown under the bus but now they are just finding ways to scalp more money from ignorant people.

They are assuming that Millennials are that group of people. TPTB on many levels have tried to shape an entire generation to be consumers. Disney is in the schools, food supply, TV and radio, retail sphere. They know exactly what they want to do.

It's cynical brand marketing at this point which only has so much effect in retaining an audience. Sure, there will always be people who go to SW movies simply because it has SW in the title. But loyal fans and people with good sense will drift away the worse the story telling gets. Star Wars will (already has) reach(ed) the point where people won't think of it with affection but rather as a commodity like Pepsi or McDonalds.