Han Solo: A Star Wars Story BOMBS at the Box Office. What next?

han_solo.jpg

Well, the opening weekend was a disappointment in terms of box office receipts:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-solo-star-wars-deadpool2-20180528-story.html

http://variety.com/2018/film/box-of...office-analysis-franchise-fatigue-1202823439/

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to laugh at how they are trying to pass the disastrous opening off as fatigue instead of the fanbase revolt it is - and that the Star Wars fan groups were calling for.

I have to laugh at how they are trying to pass the disastrous opening off as fatigue instead of the fanbase revolt it is - and that the Star Wars fan groups were calling for.

The "fatigue" excuse is insupportable. Just look at Marvel, they crank out a new film like every 3 months or so and they are doing great. A franchise like Star Wars shouldn't be suffering from "fatigue" at this point, it should be bulldozing the competition.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and

making an entire movie based on Han Solo and pals, is just boring

I mean, out of all the main characters from the OT, what do ppl really know about him from the films or TV series'? anything that would inspire them to want to see a movie just about him..IMO ,no.

you got to read the assorted canon books--which i have not read about him

they should have and could have made the movie about anyone else and it would be far more interesting

i said before the casting of han and lando indicate "chick flick" or at the least, an attempt to draw more females to the audience

the SJW lady droid is another indicator of the motivations here....

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the ROSEANNE show getting axed today is said to be another big blow for disney on the heels of the SOLO flop

guess there shares went down by nearly 3% today from the two 'issues'

(damn, back in the 80's who would have though that ROSEANNE and any STAR WARS movie would be owned by the same ppl?)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and "fatigue" yeah, coming from a SW's fans (albeit not a rabid one) I would never get tired of any SW's movie or show so long as it was on a topic/character/plot that was of interest (like say Kenobi or even Boba Fett--so many Mandolorians to the big screen with that)

again, Solo has got to be one of the flattest and most un interesting 'main' characters from the OT films

this thing was doomed with fans before it even began filming

for me, it is a bit like if they made a ST movie all about, say, one of Mr Scott's engineering assistants

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
spoilers if you link to this-- IF ANYONE CARES :)

Going by this article-well, to me its more of what I was thinking

a whole movie based on forcing--squeezing--a story from the little tid bits we know of Han from the OT, and then killing said tid bits to an "explained meaninglessness"

ROGUE ONE IS how a stand alone SW's movie should be made.. It had meaningful explanations and backstories to the things we saw happening in the OT. SOLO is just a silly and stupid waste

throw on the heap wherever the EWOK CHRISTMAS SPECIAL resides these days!!

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/5-...-was-asking?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-rail

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and "fatigue" yeah, coming from a SW's fans (albeit not a rabid one) I would never get tired of any SW's movie or show so long as it was on a topic/character/plot that was of interest (like say Kenobi or even Boba Fett--so many Mandolorians to the big screen with that)

again, Solo has got to be one of the flattest and most un interesting 'main' characters from the OT films

this thing was doomed with fans before it even began filming

for me, it is a bit like if they made a ST movie all about, say, one of Mr Scott's engineering assistants
Boba Fett is even more minor than Han Solo in the OT. I always considered him a curious issue.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Rogue One was friggin awesome and I rate it right up there with the original Star Wars Episode 3 when we get to meet Luke and the gang for the first time and then in R1 get to see how the Princess received those plans in the first place . All other SW movies do not interest me as much as these 2 do other than hearing the brilliant James Earl Jones . But yah . Solo ... Just a scruffy smuggler chillin with a walking shag carpet . I may have to see it tho as my son wants to see every movie that's out there almost lol . Just saw Infinite War and Dead Pool 2 . IW was good , DP2 , meh did not have the crazy magic of the first one .
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did anyone see this movie yet? Is it as bad as people are claiming? From what I can see it doesn't look horrible, in fact it looks more appealing than TLJ. So was this movie filled with SJW nonsense or is that just a false complaint? :daniel_new004:
It's bad. TLJ was bad in a different way. Solo is bad because they do not show us a believable Han Solo or Lando.

It's bad. TLJ was bad in a different way. Solo is bad because they do not show us a believable Han Solo or Lando.

That's a shame. When we were first introduced to Han Solo he clearly had an interesting backstory. I mean the guy was a "mercenary-smuggler-bad-boy". There's a lot of possibilities there for an origin story.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Boba Fett is even more minor than Han Solo in the OT. I always considered him a curious issue.

that is true for the OT

but over all, from all the films and the CLONE WARS we know more about him then Han (well we know now that "Solo" is just a verb/adjective some random Imperial gave to him at enlistment-- BORING!! you watch the fan theories explode around this one; what is Han's real name? blah blah blah)

we know that Fett is a 'brother' to the entire Clone Army and of his interactions with various and sundry galactic villains

and he has the potential to make a far more interesting and exciting movie around--unless it too gets emasculated and SJW'd

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
that is true for the OT

but over all, from all the films and the CLONE WARS we know more about him then Han (well we know now that "Solo" is just a verb/adjective some random Imperial gave to him at enlistment-- BORING!! you watch the fan theories explode around this one; what is Han's real name? blah blah blah)

we know that Fett is a 'brother' to the entire Clone Army and of his interactions with various and sundry galactic villains

and he has the potential to make a far more interesting and exciting movie around--unless it too gets emasculated and SJW'd

Okay, but most of the power of Boba Fett comes from the fans who focused on his very minor role in Episode V (and the 1978 TV Christmas special). Both Lucasfilm and Disney know who is popular and who is not in the SW universe. They will throw money and marketing behind any of the characters they come up with which "connect" with SW fans. They hoped Maz Kanata might be a Yoda replacement, that Kylo Ren might create some new fans, same with Phasma and they are trying to make Porgs happen. Lots of that is because of licensing, and all of it is because of profit.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Right now the Lucasfilm braintrust need to regroup and fix their work after the back to back disasters of The Last Jedi and Solo. And that probably needs to start with cleaning house - as in firing Kathleen Kennedy and letting both JarJar Abrams and Rian Johnson go. Then bring in someone with a legit history in showrunning in Science Fiction and Fantasy and charge them with devising a way to get the franchise back on track.

Right now the Lucasfilm braintrust need to regroup and fix their work after the back to back disasters of The Last Jedi and Solo. And that probably needs to start with cleaning house - as in firing Kathleen Kennedy and letting both JarJar Abrams and Rian Johnson go. Then bring in someone with a legit history in showrunning in Science Fiction and Fantasy and charge them with devising a way to get the franchise back on track.

I agree, unfortunately we don't live in a gender-blind meritocracy (yet) so Kennedy will probably keep her job for awhile longer because it would be horrible PR for a woman to fail in such a high profile position. I do think that eventually gender will take a backseat to results and profits and then maybe we'll get some appealing stories with solid writing and casting.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
LOL ...You got me laughing huge Joe !!!

JarJar Abrams

Bloody Brilliant

My brothers son does a perfect impression of Jar Jar ...

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You should write them! If they knew what they were doing, TLJ would have never have gone down the way it did.