Han Solo: A Star Wars Story BOMBS at the Box Office. What next?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The dumbest part of all this is it was so easily avoided. Just tell a straightforward tale of life in the Scum and Villany section of SW involving Han and Chewie. But because they just had to engage in namedropping (like how Han became Han Solo) and also because they just had to indulge their inner SJWs they ruined what should have been an easy film. They thought people would love L337 - instead the reaction has been closer to disgust and especially their indirectly insinuating that Lando and it were intimate?

Ironically the same issues sank The Last Jedi - the OT characters were handled shabbily, they made Rey into a full fledged Mary Sue, the Rose character had no purpose in the script and no chemistry with Finn, they emasculated General Hux and the way they handled Kylo was schizoid.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Not enough Mary Sue's on TV or movies are there lol . What's one more says Hollyweird .
Sheeese ...
;)

The dumbest part of all this is it was so easily avoided. Just tell a straightforward tale of life in the Scum and Villany section of SW involving Han and Chewie. But because they just had to engage in namedropping (like how Han became Han Solo) and also because they just had to indulge their inner SJWs they ruined what should have been an easy film. They thought people would love L337 - instead the reaction has been closer to disgust and especially their indirectly insinuating that Lando and it were intimate?

Ironically the same issues sank The Last Jedi - the OT characters were handled shabbily, they made Rey into a full fledged Mary Sue, the Rose character had no purpose in the script and no chemistry with Finn, they emasculated General Hux and the way they handled Kylo was schizoid.

Were they joking when they made the insinuation about Lando and the droid hooking up or were they serious? :daniel_new004:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Some of the dialogue insinuated it, which is bad enough.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Were they joking when they made the insinuation about Lando and the droid hooking up or were they serious? :daniel_new004:

They were serious as hell. Have you seen it yet?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, I don't see movies in theaters anymore. I wait for them to hit the secondary streaming market.

Its out there

:piratebay:

I will say that it is beautiful in CGI, but that feature in these movies is no longer special. ALL scifi benefits from top notch CGI these days. They borrowed too much from earth culture and teen attitudes to allow you to suspend belief that this story is happening in a galaxy far far away. And the events of the film plus the character played by this young dude do not lead into the Han Solo we know from the later movies (see Episode 4 for reference). Chewie was on point, but it is sort of hard to get him wrong. And they do show the Kessel Run (that was a high point). Otherwise, it was a waste and we did not need to see the story.

WTF happened to Lando after Episode VI??? No, I am not going to read Star Wars Aftermath: Empire’s End

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Its out there

:piratebay:

I will say that it is beautiful in CGI, but that feature in these movies is no longer special. ALL scifi benefits from top notch CGI these days. They borrowed too much from earth culture and teen attitudes to allow you to suspend belief that this story is happening in a galaxy far far away. And the events of the film plus the character played by this young dude do not lead into the Han Solo we know from the later movies (see Episode 4 for reference). Chewie was on point, but it is sort of hard to get him wrong. And they do show the Kessel Run (that was a high point). Otherwise, it was a waste and we did not need to see the story.

WTF happened to Lando after Episode VI??? No, I am not going to read Star Wars Aftermath: Empire’s End

well ok..but he was in the 'cut scenes' 'movie' from battlefront 2 that i posted--somewhere here

he is a general-of course (two pirates becoming generals-sounds like the Iraqi Army) and --somehow-- is in charge of overseeing Rebel/ New Republic Intelligence

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, but most of the power of Boba Fett comes from the fans who focused on his very minor role in Episode V (and the 1978 TV Christmas special). Both Lucasfilm and Disney know who is popular and who is not in the SW universe. They will throw money and marketing behind any of the characters they come up with which "connect" with SW fans. They hoped Maz Kanata might be a Yoda replacement, that Kylo Ren might create some new fans, same with Phasma and they are trying to make Porgs happen. Lots of that is because of licensing, and all of it is because of profit.

okay

but to the point of this film's stupidity and its entirely uninteresting main character

even the character revealed at the end has way more revealed --in movie and tv-- to us about him, his family, his people and his exploits then Han ever has been and even now,I am guessing we still know more about Maul then we do about "Han Whomever"

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I agree, unfortunately we don't live in a gender-blind meritocracy (yet) so Kennedy will probably keep her job for awhile longer because it would be horrible PR for a woman to fail in such a high profile position. I do think that eventually gender will take a backseat to results and profits and then maybe we'll get some appealing stories with solid writing and casting.

you nailed it with that! too often we have high profile women placed who are NOT high quality! :P

Tripler- does your nephew have JarJar ears? :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This film is making Disney rethink EVERYTHING. The only greenlight which has not turned yellow is Episode IX, and the completion of Star Wars Land at the Disney theme parks. The Rian trilogy and the other anthology projects have all gone yellow light. The media rags are officially calling Solo a bomb, and the international numbers (especially China) are dismal.

Disney better slow down, because they are in a feeding frenzy with Marvel and Star Wars, and they are damaging both.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
When I see Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson given their walking papers I'll believe that Disney has recognized the real issues here.

This film is making Disney rethink EVERYTHING. The only greenlight which has not turned yellow is Episode IX, and the completion of Star Wars Land at the Disney theme parks. The Rian trilogy and the other anthology projects have all gone yellow light. The media rags are officially calling Solo a bomb, and the international numbers (especially China) are dismal.

Disney better slow down, because they are in a feeding frenzy with Marvel and Star Wars, and they are damaging both.
When I see Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson given their walking papers I'll believe that Disney has recognized the real issues here.

It will be interesting to see what Disney does in regards to this issue. They've invested serious money not only into the movies but also the theme park. This is something that is meant to be utilized for years. But if the movies are crap why would visitors to the park even care about the Star Wars theme? It certainly wouldn't draw me to going there for the SW "experience".

Then again, if they fire Kennedy the SJW crowd will scream bloody murder. ("How dare you discriminate against a woman!!!") It's something of a pickle. If it were up to me I would fire everybody involved with the movies and I would hire a smaller, more streamlined group of folks to produce the remaining movies. Gender wouldn't factor into my hiring decision at all. It would solely be based on fidelity to good storytelling.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Exactly. And unlike say...Paramount or even 20th Century Fox, Disney would definitely let the shoes drop if they realize that Kennedy and Johnson are the problem. They could just let Gary Whitta (writer of Rogue One) do the trilogy. I am not sure how he managed to pull it off so well, but he did. To date, Rogue One has made more than DOUBLE what Solo made during the same time in it's cycle. Solo is already on it's downward trajectory because it is getting bad word of mouth and many are not bothering to see it in the theater.

It will be interesting to see what Disney does in regards to this issue. They've invested serious money not only into the movies but also the theme park. This is something that is meant to be utilized for years. But if the movies are crap why would visitors to the park even care about the Star Wars theme? It certainly wouldn't draw me to going there for the SW "experience".

Then again, if they fire Kennedy the SJW crowd will scream bloody murder. ("How dare you discriminate against a woman!!!") It's something of a pickle. If it were up to me I would fire everybody involved with the movies and I would hire a smaller, more streamlined group of folks to produce the remaining movies. Gender wouldn't factor into my hiring decision at all. It would solely be based on fidelity to good storytelling.

That is a good point. They have invested gazillions. And there will be a themed new Star Wars Hotel attached to the Galaxy's Edge area (Star Wars Land). Who the hell is going to pay a premium for anything Star Wars if they ruin it? It is more than 3/4 complete. It opens next year:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/...l-be-the-most-ambitious-theme-park-land-ever/

galaxys_edge_disneyland.jpg

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So my son persisted and I took him to see Solo . Was it just me or was this shot in black and white . The only time I saw colour was during the holo chess game on the falcon ... Story was ok but I thought Solo was a little too smiley and cheerful . The Han we knew was a bit more forceful and even more animated ... But this was the young Han and a little green behind the ears so I guess he did ok . But jeepers . Friggin movie was so dam dark visually ... Or was it just me ?
;)
I did like Chewy tho . He was awesome .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Story was ok but I thought Solo was a little too smiley

just like how Dr McCoy WAS Deforrest Kelly, he just played the role as himself, Han Solo (or whatever his last name is :) )
WAS Harrison Ford

just as Indiana Jones WAS Harrison Ford as well.

they were not done by actors 'in character' so much as they were done by men who showed up on set and did their lines as they would have done them.

another reason why I do not like the nutrek movies. their McCoy, though played by a good actor, Karl Urban, is so clearly annoying in his attempts at the mimicry of the Kelly McCoy

why not just have the new McCoy be Australian-like Urban? They changed so many other things, that would have been minor

same with this. just should of had this kid be himself and not try to mimic Ford

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Exactly. And unlike say...Paramount or even 20th Century Fox, Disney would definitely let the shoes drop if they realize that Kennedy and Johnson are the problem. They could just let Gary Whitta (writer of Rogue One) do the trilogy. I am not sure how he managed to pull it off so well, but he did. To date, Rogue One has made more than DOUBLE what Solo made during the same time in it's cycle. Solo is already on it's downward trajectory because it is getting bad word of mouth and many are not bothering to see it in the theater.

That is a good point. They have invested gazillions. And there will be a themed new Star Wars Hotel attached to the Galaxy's Edge area (Star Wars Land). Who the hell is going to pay a premium for anything Star Wars if they ruin it? It is more than 3/4 complete. It opens next year:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/...l-be-the-most-ambitious-theme-park-land-ever/

View attachment 34154