Han Solo: A Star Wars Story BOMBS at the Box Office. What next?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
It also seems to filmed with no color or grey blue or something . It was very dark to look at from what I remember ...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not to mention it has Lando hooking up with an obnoxious droid named L337 (LEET? Really?).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SOLO is now on netflix

so what....

well, i did say I would not pay to watch it, but since its netflix and one price gets you all they have, well.....

I stand by my saying it was the wrong story to make..only a stand alone about Chewbacca would be more uninteresting.

Han Solo, to me, is just not that interesting a character--this movie is really a vehicle to introduce yet more material from the ext universe (red mandolorian armor, crime syndicates, Enfys Nest, rebellion origins, etc)

but--it wasn't that terrible a movie (note, i do not say i liked it)

one thing for sure though, DISNEY did it no favors by releasing it so soon after last jedi. it was doomed to suffer from the wrath of fans who hated that movie, "just because" no matter how good or bad SOLO actually is

it is, though, an "important movie" to the SW's universe as it tells the stories of other people and organizations

namely, Crimson Dawn crime syndicate as this gives a small look at how the Empire used criminal gangs to maintain its power and logistical support

we also, FINALLY!, get a look at another unit of the Imperial military who are not storm troopers, at- at drivers or tie fighter pilots

and of course this is the unit that Han is a part of. these non storm trooper units made up the bulk of the imperial army yet, we have never really seen them in a film or a tv series

some bad things
-the "female" robot
- the movie is played out like a checklist. "how did Han get off of Corellia?" CHECK
"How did Han get his blaster?" CHECK
"How did Hand meet Chewie?" CHECK
"why does Han refer to the Millennium Falcon as 'she'?" CHECK

etc,etc

we never really find out just why (knowing who is CRIMSON DAWNS leader is important here given info about him from REBELS) the coaxium was stolen.

other 'good' parts
-we do not have to suffer the female robot for too long. seeing her destroyed is one of the highlights of the film!

-No, seemingly mandatory, appearances by R2D2 or C3PO!!

-More then one Wookie on screen at a time

-A tie in to the clone wars with the mention of how Aurra Sing was killed

-We see more 'original' Rebels. Apparently, the book version of SOLO also has a scene where the coaxium is ultimately transferred to Saw Gerrara.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But overall, I can say after seeing it, I am glad I didn't pay to go see this. This film is no ROGUE ONE. it is more like an over done version of one episode from CLONE WARS or REBELS

TPTBs really need to up their game with this stand alone film concept or just let these stories be told in tv shows that are planned instead

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SOLO is now on netflix

so what....

well, i did say would not pay to watch it, but since its netflix and one price gets you all they have, well.....

I stand by my saying it was the wrong story to make

Han Solo, to me, is just not that interesting a character

but--it wasn't that terrible a move (note, i do not say i liked it)

one thing for sure though, DISNEY did it no favors by releasing it so soon after last jedi. it was doomed to suffer from the wrath of fans who hated that movie, "just because" no matter how good or ad SOLO actually is

it is though an "important movie" to the SW's universe as it tells the stories of other people and organizations

namely, Crimson Dawn crime syndicate and this gives a small look at how the Empire used criminal gangs to maintain its power and logistical support

we also, FINALLY!, get a look at another unit of the Imperial military who are not storm troopers, at- at drivers or tie fighter pilots

and of course this is the unit that Han is a part of. these non storm trooper units made up the bulk of the imperial army yet, we have never really seen them in a film or a tv series

some bad things
-the "female" robot
- the movie is played out like a checklist. "how did Han get off of Corellia?" CHECK
"How did Han get his blaster?" CHECK
"How did Hand meet Chewie?" CHECK
"why does Han refer to the Millennium Falcon as 'she'?" CHECK

etc,etc

we never really find out just why (knowing who is CRIMSON DAWNS leader is important here given info about him from REBELS) the coaxium was stolen.

other 'good' parts
-we do not ave to suffer the female robot for too long. seeing her destroyed is one of the highlights of the film!

-No, seemingly mandatory appearances by R2D2 or C3PO!!

-More then one Wookie on screen at a time

-A tie in to the clone wars with the mention of how Aurra Sing was killed

-We see more 'original' Rebels. Apparently, the book version of SOLO also has a scene where the coaxium is ultimately transferred to Saw Gerrara.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But overall, I can say after seeing it, I am glad I didn't pay to go see this. This film is no ROGUE ONE. it is more like an over done version of one episode from CLONE WARS or REBELS

TPTBs really need to up their game with this stand alone film concept or just let these stories be told in tv shows that are planned instead

I dunno, for me the Star Wars saga is about the connections between characters and also the individual characters. To me, this guy was not the same Han Solo from the OT. His personality was not close enough to lead to the later, older Han we see in the OT or even in The Last Jedi. And it seemed dumbed down even more than normal for SW. And their Lando was also unfamiliar. The dumb girlbot was destroyed and that was fist pulldown. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's not forget the insinuation Lando and L337 hooked up.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this guy was not the same Han Solo from the OT

wasn't that a part of the delay in the start of filming? finding the right guy? all of the men they considered have some resemblance to Ford. But is physical similarity really that important?

but, you got to remember too, just like Kelley with Dr McCoy and Harrison Ford with Han and Indiana Jones, all three of those characters were mostly really the actual Actor's persona and not a character they "acted" out.

no one can be Bones McCoy the same way that Kelley played it; no one can play Han the way Ford played him either

we can get close with look a like and voice coaches though- the method I prefer. The other option, also done by the SW's team, is to recreate them using the same methods they used to make Tarkin and a young Leia in ROGUE ONE

-------------
I view that whole L3 girl droid thing as some SJW issue (women's rights, droids are people too, living being and tech sex subbing for a transgender issue (?) )

I will even go as far as to presume that Ron Howard in all likelihood wanted this stuff out when he did the re-shooting of 70% of the film (!!!!) but was over ruled SOLELY on the basis of "someone" wanting to send a message.

I can just see him rolling his eyes and saying "F it! you want it, you got it" (language Opie, language!!! )

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just saw this as well. The actors who played Han and Qira have contracts for 2 more films

from the SOLO wiki site

"Alden Ehrenreich confirmed his contract deal to appear as Han Solo extended for two additional films, giving the studio the option to pursue a sequel to Solo: A Star Wars Story, or feature him in other anthology films in a supporting capacity.[135] Ehrenreich said he would like any sequels to differentiate themselves from the previous Star Wars trilogies by being standalone, in the vein of the Indiana Jones films, rather than direct follow-ups.[136] Emilia Clarke, who played Qi'ra, also signed on for future installments.[137]

Ron Howard said that while no sequel was in development, it was up to the fans to decide.[138] Critics noted the film intentionally left room open for sequels.[139] Solo writer Jon Kasdan said that he would include bounty hunter Bossk (who briefly appears in Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and is mentioned in Solo) if he were to write a sequel for the film.[140] Kennedy also said that a film focusing on Lando Calrissian could happen, but was not a priority. Donald Glover also expressed interest in a spin-off film, saying he would imagine it as Catch Me If You Can in space.[141][142]

On June 20, 2018, Collider claimed that all future anthology films were on hold due to the financial performance of Solo.[143] A day later, Lucasfilm told ABC News that this was not correct and that numerous unannounced stand-alone films were still in development, but that they would be taking time to reassess several aspects of them, including production, budget and marketing. Making Star Wars reported that a previously unknown Mos Eisley Spaceport film was the source of the rumors and was postponed or canceled,[144] while all other previously reported yet unannounced stand-alone films were still in development.[145"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
DISNEY is not phased by the failure of SOLO either. just about all plans for tv and movies are full on still. They have 3 outlets for the product and I think they will use all of them; FOX tv, DISNEY NOW and traditional film outlets

some of these are games or comics but most are either tv or a film

i can see a reason for some of them-like a vader movie, a kenobi movie and defi a Yoda film, but some are just not needed

maybe they will bury SW's forever? maybe they will be good?

both sites are POST SOLO failure

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-projects-currently-development-rumored/

https://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-star-wars-movies/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DISNEY is not phased by the failure of SOLO either. just about all plans for tv and movies are full on still. They have 3 outlets for the product and I think they will use all of them; FOX tv, DISNEY NOW and traditional film outlets

some of these are games or comics but most are either tv or a film

i can see a reason for some of them-like a vader movie, a kenobi movie and defi a Yoda film, but some are just not needed

maybe they will bury SW's forever? maybe they will be good?

both sites are POST SOLO failure

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-projects-currently-development-rumored/

https://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-star-wars-movies/

Bolded: YES THEY ARE! Because of Solo, the entire Rian Johnson trilogy has been paused/cancelled, as well as all of the spinoff origin films. Disney lost millions on Solo, when they should not have lost anything at all. The failure of Solo put a yellow light on all of the previously greenlighted projects which were planned.

I think that the contracts for the actors they chose for Solo were based on the assumption that Solo would be a viable SW vehicle that could expand, but that is just not going to happen. That yellow light is still on. Star Wars will continue, but not following the original plan. Even the announcement of JJ being the director of Episode IX was unplanned.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Bolded: YES THEY ARE! Because of Solo, the entire Rian Johnson trilogy has been paused/cancelled, as well as all of the spinoff origin films. Disney lost millions on Solo, when they should not have lost anything at all. The failure of Solo put a yellow light on all of the previously greenlighted projects which were planned.

I think that the contracts for the actors they chose for Solo were based on the assumption that Solo would be a viable SW vehicle that could expand, but that is just not going to happen. That yellow light is still on. Star Wars will continue, but not following the original plan. Even the announcement of JJ being the director of Episode IX was unplanned.

I dont know, you got a link? :)

when i did a search 'status of all sw's projects' the two results I linked above were top two results.

I do nott hink they need all of this quantity, a few projects well written and made would be good for me.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this what pops up first for 'Rian Johnson SW's trilogy'

The Last Jedi hate has still been going strong, even eight months after its release -- so much so in fact that last week, unfounded rumors started circulating online that Johnson's trilogy of Star Wars movies was no longer in the works. Naturally, the rumor spread like wildfire, and it was up to the writer and director himself to put it to rest.

from: https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-still-happening/

and fans/movie goers are dumb and predictable.The majority believe that if one film in a franchise is bad then ALL others that come after will be as well. Even if they have diff TPTB's.

they hold the same for good movies as well.

each product should be rated on its own performance
-------------------------------------------------
again, personally, I do not think so much stuff needs to be made. i would rather see some good, well exectued stuff on "tv"/streaming then movies. Series' have the opportunity to go deeper into stories and character's over a period of time

movies are a one off, get all to fit in 2 hrs and done.

2 or 3 series on tv/streaming could tell several of these stories at once. SOLO should have been an episode in one of them