Grow your own food/ home, yard and garden DIY stuff/fixing your own home issues

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
anyone know what kind of bees these are?

they totally ignore us, we can get about 20" to the hive and they still just fly around us.

sometimes they are so focused on what they are doing, they will bump into us then fly around us

although its in the garden, they are back and forth to the adult trees in the woods

they are black with a couple of white spots

View attachment 34473 View attachment 34474

Those aren't bees, they are hornets (wasps). They are rather benign as far as behavior, but if you piss them off, each one can sting you multiple times. Bees only sting once. And they will pollinate your plants like bees will, in search of their food which is similar to bees.

hornets.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Hornets are natural enemies of actual bees.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i wanted to know what type exactly so i sent the pics to Penn State Entomology dept. they answered rather quickly:

Mr. Agens,
The insects in the photo are bald-faced hornets, which are related to yellowjackets and paper wasps. They tend to not be aggressive, but will sting if they feel their nest is threatened, which can happen if, say, you bump into it with a lawnmower. If you've had success avoiding being stung until now, then it's certainly possible you'll go the rest of the season without getting stung if you continue to act in the same ways around the nest you have been. Stings from bald-faced hornets are on par with yellowjackets and paper wasps - generally more painful than a honey bee, but not debilitating or dangerous unless you're allergic to bee and wasp stings.
Unlike honey bees, bald-faced hornet nests die off every year when it gets cold. Only mated queens overwinter, which then found new nests the following year. Bald-faced hornet adults take nectar at flowers, but they prefer open flowers like goldenrod and Queen Anne's lace and don't really go to many flowers in a garden. That being said, they are excellent predators that feed the growing larvae other insects, particularly caterpillars, so are useful to have around a garden for that. Because they're beneficial predators, I generally recommend clients leave a nest in place if it's a location they can avoid disturbing it and risk being stung. But that call is up to you depending on how careful you want to be and how much you want to avoid potential stings.
For more information, see the following resources:
PSU fact sheet
U Idaho fact sheet (note that some of the species listed here are western and do not occur in PA, although most do)
UF fact sheet
Best regards,
Michael Skvarla

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i wanted to know what type exactly so i sent the pics to Penn State Entomology dept. they answered rather quickly:

Mr. Agens,
The insects in the photo are bald-faced hornets, which are related to yellowjackets and paper wasps. They tend to not be aggressive, but will sting if they feel their nest is threatened, which can happen if, say, you bump into it with a lawnmower. If you've had success avoiding being stung until now, then it's certainly possible you'll go the rest of the season without getting stung if you continue to act in the same ways around the nest you have been. Stings from bald-faced hornets are on par with yellowjackets and paper wasps - generally more painful than a honey bee, but not debilitating or dangerous unless you're allergic to bee and wasp stings.
Unlike honey bees, bald-faced hornet nests die off every year when it gets cold. Only mated queens overwinter, which then found new nests the following year. Bald-faced hornet adults take nectar at flowers, but they prefer open flowers like goldenrod and Queen Anne's lace and don't really go to many flowers in a garden. That being said, they are excellent predators that feed the growing larvae other insects, particularly caterpillars, so are useful to have around a garden for that. Because they're beneficial predators, I generally recommend clients leave a nest in place if it's a location they can avoid disturbing it and risk being stung. But that call is up to you depending on how careful you want to be and how much you want to avoid potential stings.
For more information, see the following resources:
PSU fact sheet
U Idaho fact sheet (note that some of the species listed here are western and do not occur in PA, although most do)
UF fact sheet
Best regards,
Michael Skvarla

Told ya. :) When I was a kid, I found a nest like that in my grandmother's backyard and I thought they were bees too. One of them even landed on me and did not bite. But her dog was attacked by them and the city sent somebody out to remove the nest. They also found others under the eaves of her roof and another under a garden bench. The giveaway is that paper nest.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Told ya. :) When I was a kid, I found a nest like that in my grandmother's backyard and I thought they were bees too. One of them even landed on me and did not bite. But her dog was attacked by them and the city sent somebody out to remove the nest. They also found others under the eaves of her roof and another under a garden bench. The giveaway is that paper nest.

my "thing" with this is that I am not all that concerned over bee vs hornet. just dont F with them either way :icon_e_surprised:

thing was i hadn't sen anything like this around before. a few yrs back I contacted Penn State entomology about the 'stinkbugs /potato bug (since they smell a bit like potatoes) . they told me that my county was not in their range. i insisted and they told me to send in a bug to them.

i did, and i was right...range expanded :)

<<well, hey, the academics at Penn States bird dept insist there are no bald eagles here. no nests. any we see are just ranging on day trips. but at last count, there were 10-12 nests in the county. counts done by the state game commission and just regular ppl

you cant miss an eagles nest, they are massive >>

so, while he didn't address that art of my question, I will just assume that they are known to be around here, just not that numerous--this particular type of hornet

guess we can credit them with the low incidence of cabbage caterpillars and other garden pests this yr. seems they love munching on them

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
my "thing" with this is that I am not all that concerned over bee vs hornet. just dont F with them either way :icon_e_surprised:

thing was i hadn't sen anything like this around before. a few yrs back I contacted Penn State entomology about the 'stinkbugs /potato bug (since they smell a bit like potatoes) . they told me that my county was not in their range. i insisted and they told me to send in a bug to them.

<<well, hey, the academics at Penn States bird dept insist there are no bald eagles here. no nests. any we see are just ranging on day trips. but at last count, there were 10-12 nests in the county. counts done by the state game commission and just regular ppl

so, while he didn't address that art of my question, I will just assume that they are known to be around here, just not that numerous--this particular type of hornet

guess we can credit them with the low incidence of cabbage caterpillars and other garden pests this yr. seems they love munching on them

You could do this....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You could do this....

yeah..i dont need to do anything though

these guys are beneficial by killing off many harmful insects in the garden and property. we've noticed a much reduced biting fly population for example

they will die off after frost, then i will get rid of the hive

and i have had other hornets/wasps around. these guys are different. not just the appearance. other wasps are much more territorial

if they were these, they wouldn't just bump into us on their way back and forth but harass and possibly sting us just for being in their way--these guys do not do that

yeah..i dont need to do anything though

these guys are beneficial by killing off many harmful insects in the garden and property. we've noticed a much reduced biting fly population for example

they will die off after frost, then i will get rid of the hive

and i have had other hornets/wasps around. these guys are different. not just the appearance. other wasps are much more territorial

if they were these, they wouldn't just bump into us on their way back and forth but harass and possibly sting us just for being in their way--these guys do not do that

I'll just leave this right here. :ronnon_whistling:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Who discovers this shit? :) How did somebody "discover" that diapers help plants grow? It reminds me of the stoners who would say shit like "Hey man, if you mix Windex with lighter fluid and Pine Sol and throw in a little toothpaste and then smoke it, it will get you high as hell!"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Who discovers this shit? :) How did somebody "discover" that diapers help plants grow? It reminds me of the stoners who would say shit like "Hey man, if you mix Windex with lighter fluid and Pine Sol and throw in a little toothpaste and then smoke it, it will get you high as hell!"

well the guy with the peppers, he is just doing what people used to know how to do as a type of common sense...for one, worms turn highly beneficial food wastes (human food and nature's left overs) into a very rich and nutritious soil. add it to compost made form yard waste and food waste (which, we do the combo thing, we dont keep our compost piles so hot that it excludes worm activity, so we get the 'cooked' compost and then the worms go through ti as well adding castings to it)

the first guy with the hydro peroxide? guessing maybe he is a chemist or something, or learned from someone who is

the baby diaper thing? didn't watch

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
every year the wife and i will buy some seeds of stuff we dont usually grow just to see what will happen. this year it was 'indian' corn and giant pumpkins

usually a seed pack that says 'giant' whatever is a bunch of hooey

this year--well, we got vines--that are still growing--over 50 ft long, they are climbing up trees and over a stream. we got 6 large pumpkins and this one very very large one

(4yr old shown for scale :) )

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 124

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So we have started to grow our own vegetables in the backyard, Tomatoes, Capsicum, Chilli, Mandarine, Lime, and hell, we did an experiment to grow mangoes, and it worked! We are also growing watermelons too and pumpkins. We also turn any compost from our vegetables into compost waste for reuse. No blood or bone used. Our mango tree even survived the harsh winter months where it gets to extreme cold weather.

How do you make tomatoes survive during the winter months?
What a nice optimistical post! Thanks.

Is using blood and bone normal for growing crops? Perhaps I am misinterpreting.

I've never grown tomatoes, but have been told they are hard to grow. Perhaps for winters only a greenhouse would help?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

We have a number of very active eagle cams in the area over looking bald eagle nests - no longer an endangered species I'd say.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I have been through a lot and it will crush your heart if I told you what it is but I haven't hurt anyone but I have been hurt quite badly. What is making me get out of the lurch is music. I owe it EVERYTHING and coming here to escape.
I know mate. And we like that you come here to escape. But I'm gonna be honest, I've been getting rather fed up with every thread I open talking about how everything is going to shit, even when the topic has nothing to do with it whatsoever. It's been causing me to avoid stuff. This post above here (about growing the crops) tells me that there is a bit of brightness starting to dawn in you again. It's a good sign. In the end it's all a matter of perspective. And which perspective you take is a choice you make yourself. There are many shit things in the world and you have been heavily focusing on those, which causes you to be blind to the many good things in the world.

Try to shift your focus more to good things. You are already using music (which is generally considered a good thing) as an anchor. Try to branch out more. "Train" yourself to recognize positive things. You could even try that with something which you consider to be horrible and negative. Step outside your box and find an angle which can be considered positive in that horrible negative thing. It doesn't have to be positive from your own perspective. I'll give an example.

I've applied for an internal role at the company I work for. I know that one other guy has applied for the same role. There is only one role available. If the other guy ends up getting the job instead of me, I'm not going to be disappointed. Because this other guy has been working at the company in the same position for about 8 years now. He's a really lovely guy, just can't stop smiling and cracking jokes at every occasion. If he gets the job, I'll be happy for him. It'll mean tough luck for me, but ah well. He probably deserves it more. I've also applied for another internal role, that of leader of the team I'm currently working in. If anyone else but me gets that position, I'm going to be mighty mighty pissed. I am quite obviously the ideal candidate for this role, but I have a suspicion that "the company" is going to look at things from a different perspective. That's because "the company" are a bunch of morons who don't know how to effectively manage the job which needs to be done. I've learned that my application is apparently with the manager of my manager and that is not a good thing, because I suspect that she doesn't quite like me very much. Anyway, I digress. So I strongly feel that I should be getting this position, but at the same time there's quite a good chance that I won't. If I don't, I'm gonna be pissed off beyond recognition. But I would be able to find a positive angle in this. Because if that happens, I'm gonna be very actively looking for another job and I'm gonna be out of there as soon as possible and leave that shitty company behind me, which is a positive thing, because I'll finally be leaving that dead end job behind me and go on some kind of new adventure. I don't even care much what, even if it is at the Subway around the corner. If I do get the job though, that is in itself a positive thing, but I know that the task I would face would be damn near impossible to do because the predecessor didn't have a clue what he was doing and basically let everything go to shit. But then, this presents a true challenge which if successfully navigated may be considered a true accomplishment, so that can be seen as something quite positive.

You find a hundred dollar bill on the street, you're gonna feel happy you found it. Would you instead feel bad that someone else is missing out on their hundred dollars? I think not. But perhaps one should. If I would see the bill fall out of someone's pocket I would alert them and give it back to them. (unless I would know them to be a complete and utter asshole perhaps) But if there is no way for me to know to whom that bill originally belonged, it'll be going straight into my pocket without any concern.

A couple of months ago, I found an iPhone 7+ on the street, pretty much in front of my house. Some people would keep it for themselves. Some people would try to sell it. I chose to try to return it to its rightful owner. I spent my entire Sunday trying anything I could possibly imagine to find out to whom the phone belonged. Eventually, when I was trying the last thing I could think of which was a real long shot, I suddenly caught a break and a friend of the owner called. From then on, it was still a challenge but I was starting to make progress. But I ended up sitting in a fucking phone store for hours waiting for the rightful owner (who was "already on her way") to show up. It was utterly ridiculous. I can tell you that no one, NO ONE but me would have done that. Anyone else would have been like "fuck that, fuck you, I'ma do my thang". Not me, I successfully completed my mission of returning the phone. But man was I miserable. The owner was barely thankful even. But I did a positive thing. The end result was positive for the owner.

Yesterday I just walked out of work and on the other side of the street I saw two guys coming out a door and starting to run along the street. They were both wearing hoodies. One had a scarf covering his face and they were both wearing gloves. That looked rather suspicious, particularly because it wasn't cold enough to be wearing a scarf or gloves. I walked over to where I though the guys came from and I wasn't sure which place it was but it must have been one of three doors. I went into the pharmacy first and asked if everything was alright. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Then I went two doors down, opened the door, and a guy came up to me and asked me to wait because he had just been the victim of an armed robbery. Obviously I was in the right place. The reason I went looking is because I wanted to make sure no one was hurt and in need of help. The guy was physically okay, just a little shaken up from being robbed at knife point. There were other people on the street who noticed the suspicious activity, but no one else chose to have a look. I'm not sure I could have lived with myself if I would have just walked on and then later found out that someone died there who might have survived if someone had come to have a look sooner.

Life as a human is all about making choices if there are any and accepting circumstances if there is no choice. You can either choose to do a bad thing such as committing armed robbery, or you can choose to do a good thing such as checking whether someone requires help. Likewise, you can choose to take a negative perspective or a positive one, it really is just a matter of choice. Is the glass half full or half empty? If the glass is half empty, is that a good thing or a bad thing? If you're waiting on the glass to be empty so you can use it for something else, it being half empty can be a good thing because you won't have to wait as long as for a full glass. Then again, if you need that glass for something else and you're looking at it thinking "geez there's still half a glass to go, this is taking forever", then you won't be happy about it. Perspective, perspective perspective. Perspective.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So we have started to grow our own vegetables in the backyard, Tomatoes, Capsicum, Chilli, Mandarine, Lime, and hell, we did an experiment to grow mangoes, and it worked! We are also growing watermelons too and pumpkins. We also turn any compost from our vegetables into compost waste for reuse. No blood or bone used. Our mango tree even survived the harsh winter months where it gets to extreme cold weather.

How do you make tomatoes survive during the winter months?

if you use compost then you shouldn't need to add anything except maybe some form of calcium to prevent blossom end rot on your tomatoes and peppers

as for the tomatoes, do you mean how to keep the plants alive?

if so, here is the thing. nearly all varieties--even the heirloom ones, have been so 'messed with' over time by people cross breeding them and choosing plant types for high yield, that most varieties have basically been turned into an annual plant

a natural tomato plant, in its native area, is a perennial, so if you could get one of these (like from mexico or central america) through mail order from a native area, you could do it if your area does not get too far below 60F degrees in the winter https://www.nativeseeds.org/collections/tomatoes

the only other way is to bring plants indoors WITHOUT transplanting (so you'd have to have them in pots all summer--which can be a better way to grow them anyhow)

the best ones for this would be a species that is "determinate" meaning it is known that the plant will only get a certain size

then do some moderate pruning of sucker branches near the bottom of the plant (but below the lowest flowers/fruit)--they are nutrient thieves

place them in a warm and sunny window and ensure that the humidity in your home does not get too low--an issue if you have heating in the winter

but it is doubtful that you would get much fruit in the winter--this is the same technique for peppers as well as they and tom's are in the same general "family"-- nightshade