Grow your own food/ home, yard and garden DIY stuff/fixing your own home issues

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ok.... i just had and go and post my first YT video just so I could post here at gf'S !

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Awesome man! Thanks for doing the video.

That is some wrench you got there. Does a hammer not help to get it off?

I noticed those supports underneath appear a bit odd, as if they have planks on their side just resting there. How are those fastened?

Where are the fishing rod support structures? :drunk:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Does anyone feel that the food they eat, i.e. where its sourced from, has an affect on you feel? I noticed this when I bought caged eggs vs free range eggs. Not only free range taste better, but they gave a more satisfying feeling when eating food.

'free range' only means that the chickens have access to fresh air. many farms --who do not have the time to round up the hens at the end of the day simply put a wire fence at a door opening--requirement fulfilled

there are basically the same as cage free, which only means the birds can walk around the inside of the hen house.

some type of cage or box HAS to exist for the hens to lay their eggs, they will not lay them in a area they do not feel is secure, like the middle of the floor of a huge henhouse

its all just marketing craft.. your feeling better is a successful product of that marketing craft

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Awesome man! Thanks for doing the video.
thanks! i aim to please :triumphant:

That is some wrench you got there. Does a hammer not help to get it off?
that was a really cheaply made 'gimmick' 8 sockets on one tool bargain bin deal.. i am surprised it lasted as long as it has
the inner flanges in the socket which grip a hex head nut or bolt, stripped away while turning and fell back behind the head of the bolt... hammer and back of ax applied... no dice :(

noticed those supports underneath appear a bit odd, as if they have planks on their side just resting there
if you mean the 2x6 boards leaning on the tree, those are cut offs and not part of the structure... use them for the next project of replacing rotted raised beds in garden

Where are the fishing rod support structures?
well, we are not allowed to keep anything from this section of the river. it is designated 'trophy trout waters' but you cant even keep a bass or perch... draconian power mad fish wardens!!

I only ever fish to keep the fish for food, so, if this covid thing continues who knows?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It still had an effect on me. I don't like caged eggs. It's cruel and wrong. It's a living being and is conscious so why are caged eggs even a thing? Someone wants to centrally plan something because they want to control the population so they can have a life of luxury while majority of the population suffers. What kind of bullshit is this?
More central planning bullshit. I want to decentralize so I am away from what society expects me to do or what big sister wants me to do because safety!?!!!

you buy eggs in cages? how do they fit in your refrigerator like that?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
a couple of months ago, the state had an anti biting brown fly spray on the river. it is very effective... near genocidal even

took out the mosquitos too.. spent a few hours in the late afternoon and early evening today down on the deck by the river.. not one bite and none to be seen

can you hear the birds? I zoomed in on the water.. you could see the bottom the water is always so clear, the sun glare wouldn't let the camera capture it though

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
how the wife and I stay busy

built the flagstone path last year, been at war with the out of control wisteria vines for a couple of years (thanks Mom and Dad!) used brush killer spray, machete, chain saw and fire--finally some success!

another view of the pond, and a pic of my wife's water celery pond

bench i built to enjoy shade under one of the mulberrys, and the wife's veggie garden.. had to replace some wood for the raised beds this year

Attachments

• IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    10 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1308.JPG
    IMG_1308.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    9.9 MB · Views: 224

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
These birds come back here to the same group of 6 or 7 black cherry trees, ever year. i'd say probably on the same day, but i haven't been tracking that

they come in waves. 1 will come and stay for ad ay or so, leave, then the next day another group will come

a few hundred are in the group that land in my backyard and other groups land in other areas along the river.. they defi land here because of the river

i wonder where they have come from and where are they going? they stop here in the spring as well

even in the house, its not enough to dampen the noise they make

also, notice the young bald eagle flying above them? 3 of them were born this spring, i have been watching them for the last couple of months learning to fly

anyone know what these birds may be? they are about the size of a blue jay,, all black or dark blue/purple with no other markings i can see

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
These birds come back here to the same group of 6 or 7 black cherry trees, ever year. i'd say probably on the same day, but i haven't been tracking that

they come in waves. 1 will come and stay for ad ay or so, leave, then the next day another group will come

a few hundred are in the group that land in my backyard and other groups land in other areas along the river.. they defi land here because of the river

i wonder where they have come from and where are they going? they stop here in the spring as well

even in the house, its not enough to dampen the noise they make

also, notice the young bald eagle flying above them? 3 of them were born this spring, i have been watching them for the last couple of months learning to fly

anyone know what these birds may be? they are about the size of a blue jay,, all black or dark blue/purple with no other markings i can see

Man, those birds are dots to me. Maybe if you'd shot one with an arrow, so you could take a close up, it might be possible to identify one. As it stands, I can only guess, they're black parrots from Latin America on their way over to their winter sports holiday complex. There's just too much shaky-cam to determine. (lol, I kill myself)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Man, those birds are dots to me. Maybe if you'd shot one with an arrow, so you could take a close up, it might be possible to identify one. As it stands, I can only guess, they're black parrots from Latin America on their way over to their winter sports holiday complex. There's just too much shaky-cam to determine. (lol, I kill myself)

i have been told they are most likely, in order, either Grackles or Purple Martins

this was determined by others (FB international bird watching group) based on their behavior and chatter..surely you could hear them?

biggest thing for me is how with such precision--down to the exact tree, maybe to the exact branch (?),, these birds return to each year in spring and then in fall

the same group of 6 trees

and all along the river in about a 1/4 mile stretch, there are other 'clights' of the same birds in diff trees. they have been doing this for as long as i can remember for as long as my family has owned the land (1981)

they will come in in a huge procession of thousands.. then lower altitude and break up into their clans? grouped by where they came from? circle then land in the trees

when they leave, they take turns taking of in groups-- one takes off, gets alt, holding pattern, next group from across the river does same,, other 2 groups do same... they organize into a huge "convoy', then leave till next year

wild choreography on a huge scale

couple days later a whole new group comes in

yesterday the 3rd group came

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
some new pics. one of the deck by the river i built last year, just a side view

the others of a new bridge i had to build on our main footpath through our wooded area down along the river

we used to just step from rock to rock, but getting older, and having a hip replaced and all, i figured it was time to make things safer

its all one big mass of stone. the stream there goes underground and only comes above after a lot of rain.

Since it is all stone, i could not dig down as far as one should for the initial 6x6 vertical supports (the "t"'s in the one pic) so i had to double up the vertical posts of the handrail as 'outriggers with a couple o the other side as well. these go into the soil or flush up to the stone so that when one walks on the bridge it does not wobble side to side since the main spt's are not in as deep as they should be

good and solid now though! 22 foot across and 33" wide

did all my cuts with either a 51/2 " black and decker lithium ion rechargeable circ saw or my new greenworks 18" 60v chainsaw. everything screwed together using my B&D DRILL-- using 'star drive' screws... ITS SOLID AND GOING NO WHERE :)

@Jim78, @Lord Ba'al

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1896 (1).JPG
    IMG_1896 (1).JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 70

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this year we also had to move the wife's Minari- yes, just like the movie- pond. Its water celery, also has other names

the old pond was getting too much shade, moved it across the yard and incorporated it into one of the flower gardens. this is right after building it; the plants have filled it in now

Attachments

• IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 72

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
some new pics. one of the deck by the river i built last year, just a side view

the others of a new bridge i had to build on our main footpath through our wooded area down along the river

we used to just step from rock to rock, but getting older, and having a hip replaced and all, i figured it was time to make things safer

its all one big mass of stone. the stream there goes underground and only comes above after a lot of rain.

Since it is all stone, i could not dig down as far as one should for the initial 6x6 vertical supports (the "t"'s in the one pic) so i had to double up the vertical posts of the handrail as 'outriggers with a couple o the other side as well. these go into the soil or flush up to the stone so that when one walks on the bridge it does not wobble side to side since the main spt's are not in as deep as they should be

good and solid now though! 22 foot across and 33" wide

did all my cuts with either a 51/2 " black and decker lithium ion rechargeable circ saw or my new greenworks 18" 60v chainsaw. everything screwed together using my B&D DRILL-- using 'star drive' screws... ITS SOLID AND GOING NO WHERE :)

@Jim78, @Lord Ba'al
Nice one.

I notice the bridge has support only in the middle. Aren't you worried that over time the bonds will weaken and the bridge will falter if you step too much to one of the sides?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Nice one.

I notice the bridge has support only in the middle. Aren't you worried that over time the bonds will weaken and the bridge will falter if you step too much to one of the sides?
THANKS!! I noticed this thread has been neglected-- well much as gf's has been neglected :( thought i'd give some "what i did over the summer show and tell
----------------------------------
no issue

the supports are "t's". the cross piece of the "t" is a bit longer then the width of the walkway

3 8" boards-- which are not really 8" they are 7 1/4" wide-- i made the "t" 6x6- which are really 5 1/2"- 40" long. actually 40" :)

and the 6x6's are not joined with screws or nails but with "t" plates made of galv steel- one on either side. this effectively makes the vert and horiz 6x6 one piece of unifying support for the walkway

1633049158645.png
and i use star drive screws throughout, so they do not 'back off' and get loose so no sloppy joints or bouncy boards over time
1633049241013.png