Grow your own food/ home, yard and garden DIY stuff/fixing your own home issues

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Remember the factors of production. Land, labour and capital. If you own all 3, you gain control over the bullshit capitalist system we run.

I agree with this. I also do agree with you that capitalism is bullshit. It allows those without any merit to become extremely wealthy by using financial tools and inheritance.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
when i get older and even more decrepit, i just may buy one of these things

the price is sure to come down, as have other cordless electric tools, and, unlike an electric car, it makes sense. no fouling your gas engine with gas with ethanol in it, no air filter changes, no oil changes or tune ups. and the machine is much much lighter
]
https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/riding-lawn-mowers/electric-riding-mowers

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
IMG_1156.JPG
a new composting experiment

will the worms, the pile's heat, and other actions be able to turn these books to usable soil and how long may it take?

its about 30 books of various sizes, we removed the covers and coated pages.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I suspect it may take quite a while. Especially since the pages are all still together. If you had torn out all the pages and mixed them up with the compost, I think they would deteriorate a lot faster.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Especially since the pages are all still together. If you had torn out all the pages and mixed them up with the compost, I think they would deteriorate a lot faster.

well yeah!! But that is the standard procedure... so it wouldn't be an experiment if I did it that way

we have two large composting piles- this is the old one that we used all the compost from last year. thought it was a good time to put this stuff at the bottom and form a new pile of grass clippings and other items around it

the density of the paper, which will stay wet and even denser, is the challenge for the critters to work on

books like this wont even do a thorough burn in a extremely hot wood stove- i've tried, when cleaning out the ashes there is still a core center that is untouched by fire

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
well yeah!! But that is the standard procedure... so it wouldn't be an experiment if I did it that way

we have two large composting piles- this is the old one that we used all the compost from last year. thought it was a good time to put this stuff at the bottom and form a new pile of grass clippings and other items around it

the density of the paper, which will stay wet and even denser, is the challenge for the critters to work on

books like this wont even do a thorough burn in a extremely hot wood stove- i've tried, when cleaning out the ashes there is still a core center that is untouched by fire
Put some termites on it. Or bookworms :rotflmao:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A new spring, a new project

using all cordless power- drill and chainsaw

@Jim78 , you asked about what i like to do, well, this is one thing

IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What's the project?

well, its bigger then a breadbox but smaller then a mausoleum....

it will be a deck

we had one there near the river before, but it was on the ground and closer to the river. it made it through many floods until one time it didn't

this one is over 8ft up on the river side... it will not wash away-at least not in my lifetime :)

have it framed, next step is to cut the stringers and build steps

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
well, its bigger then a breadbox but smaller then a mausoleum....

it will be a deck

we had one there near the river before, but it was on the ground and closer to the river. it made it through many floods until one time it didn't

this one is over 8ft up on the river side... it will not wash away-at least not in my lifetime :)

have it framed, next step is to cut the stringers and build steps
Cool! I thought you were building a tree house. I'm assuming this deck is in your back yard? Keep me updated with pics please! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Cool! I thought you were building a tree house. I'm assuming this deck is in your back yard? Keep me updated with pics please! :)

i intend to... part of my "training" to become a self taught irritating vlogger :)

just didn't work on it today

yes in my back yard. you remember the pics up thread i put in last yr of the river area? same place

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
i intend to... part of my "training" to become a self taught irritating vlogger :)

just didn't work on it today

yes in my back yard. you remember the pics up thread i put in last yr of the river area? same place
That's nice man. I wish I had a yard like that.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
more progress.. got held up by weather and "toilet paper zombie dodging" shopping

anyhow

of course, right where i wanted the left side stair stringer to rest on the ground there had to be an unmovable rock!

tried to compensate with digging out all the soil and bridging with the 6x6 but even though the stairs are 2 direction- level, the left stringer had to be splayed out

you may notice the side frame 2x6's are canted and askew- but they are horizontally level! the cant comes from tacking them on to trees and of course the trees are not vertically level

i am going to shore up each corner tacked to a tree with a 4x4 put in vertically to carry the load into the ground, post and lintel style

then its just decking and rails and done

fortunately hardware and building supply stores are allowed to remain opened so i will be able to get more wood

5 yr old included for scale :)

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 223

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
it is done!!!

this is the first time i have made a video for public use,, it probably sucks and i know my voice sounds like shit... this broken tooth is giving me something like a lisp..

i think i may have over built, but that's a good thing, the joists and railings are tied in horizontally to the trees, and supported vertically by two "trusses" i made below as well as the one 6x6 in the front corner

this sucker is high enough and heavy enough, it isn't going to get washed away like the last one at ground level and lower down the bank was

it may look 'untrue' but all is vertically and horizontally level, can't do anything about the position of the trees, so it may look a bit askew

our 5 yr old daughter (adopted granddaughter) actually helped with this! she carried smaller pieces of 6x6 and 2x6's (all treated lumber = heavier), put in decking screws, helped to hold wood in position and i even taught her how to use a level

my apprentice :)

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1205.JPG