Gateworldl-- the 'Net Police!

Night Fury

GateFans Noob
I believe so. I know I have heard of other people being banned from or getting in trouble with GW for what was said here. As far as I have heard she was the most recent banned person.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Of course it was sweetie...dragongirl is a friend of mine on GW and is very supportive. I will give permission here to discuss my banned statusand the moderation I have been on. I have nothing to hide! ;)

now skydiver I know you are lurking... have fun! :P

Hey Skydiver! As a non-GW forum member I have a little gift for you, as I know it can sometimes get boring doing it yourself.

PP0442~Up-Yours-Posters.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the REAL bullies at GW are some of the mods and their pet squeedrones who have no problem whining, bitching,moaning, and dishing out as much crap as they can IF you disagree with them! GW needs to stop throwing loaded words like "bullying" around and tell people to grow up and deal with the fact that people will disagree with them often in their lives! ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Muffdiver the Grand Empress of Squidgy Dildos is a grandma, who joined the forum in 1854
View attachment 899

Cyber bullying? Fuck that, Because she does it under the cover of "Moderator" doesn't give it any other fucking meaning. Goddamn retard..
sgusuckssign.gif
HA I think I love you my friend! :rotflmao: I love your sense of humor! ;)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I know for a fact that there are people over there that literally will not stop unless you call them on their crap (and sometimes they won't even stop after that), so calling them on their crap sometimes needs to be done especially when mods close threads instead of dealing with the 1 or 2 people that cause most of the problems. And yes, I'm still talking about that darn JT thread. It wasn't "unsalvageable," one person (we'll call her "VW") and perhaps a couple of others in the same clique were causing about 90% of the problems.

Well by the sounds of it GW is a massive forum to ahve to police with the mods that are at hand due to whatever economics are at work over there so I would surmise that it is overall quicker & easier to just close a thread down if it reaches critical mass & has been virulenty over run by cunts.

They should have enforced that "deliberate derailment" thing then and/or added in a few extra rules (like 1. be respectful of others, 2. Use verifiable facts to support your assertions, and 3. don't tell others what they can/can't say because that's not your job), but for whatever reason they just closed the thread and buried it... You know what, I'm not even going to go down this path again...

You forgot to add one thing to the end of those rules .................. "unless they express negative opinions about SGU".

Anyhoo,

All I can say is that they should decide on where the lines are (like Mythos mentioned months ago to Darren) and make sure that they don't change based on the person involved, and that everyone knows where those lines are.

Yes indeed! Consistency is key.................. but they lost the whole damn set of key loooong ago.

I can appreciate what they are trying to do and the position that they are in. People say that Syfy.com doesn't mod as much as GW does, and I think that's for good reason. Syfy (the network) doesn't need SGU to survive. Syfy hasn't built itself around the Stargate franchise for it's main bread and butter. Shows like Warehouse 13, Eureka, and yes - Wrestling are doing far better than SGU. So, they can afford to have dissent on their forums and not punish people for their opinions elsewhere. However, with Gateworld the relationship with the Stargate PTB leans in the other direction. They need to keep the Stargate PTB happy, and that may even include MGM. I'm just not sure that this is the way...

The thing of which you speak is the inbuilt survival instinct of a cornered animal fighting for it's survival - there is nought but selfy, selfish, self-serving self-preservation at hand here I'm affraid.

I understand that SGU is premiering in a couple of weeks and they're starting to crack their knuckles in anticipation of anything that might hurt the show, but I don't know about this... Like I've said a few times before, I understand, but I don't necessarily agree...

The likes of you & I acknowledge that we understand the meaning of, & through empathy, the reasoning behind their decisions but we have the moral courage at sgusucks.com not do those sorts of things on our forums - the same cannot be said for the guys of at GW.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

the REAL bullies at GW are some of the mods and their pet squeedrones who have no problem whining, bitching,moaning, and dishing out as much crap as they can IF you disagree with them! GW needs to stop throwing loaded words like "bullying" around and tell people to grow up and deal with the fact that people will disagree with them often in their lives! ;)

Damn right Rac!

The word bullying has very strong, negative connotations in all kinds of areas in life (most notably the work place & the military) & as such is not a word to be bandied around lightly & with such crass disregard................... I am buying that tit-bandit a dictionary & a thesaurus for Christmas.

Night Fury

GateFans Noob
By Definition I was bullied in a thread of GW and there was hardly anything done but a small post in the thread no one was modded no one was in trouble. Yet you say something here and suddenly Rac is going to cause someone to kill themselves :roll: Guess the MOD's were never taught the meaning of fair play

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

We don't Need no Albert Einstein, or Isaac Newton to explain this to us.

Gayteworld, as it's name implies, is a website to cater to the Stargate fans. Since SGU came up, as an illegitimate child from a one night stand, True fans, who are not at confused with the Generic terms of, Dark, Gritty, pithy, snotty, + all 7 names of Snow White's dwarves, rebelled. What's a Gayteworld to do? As the kept mistress of TPTB, Gayteworld has no other choice but to comply for scarfing down those "lobster dinners". Atlantis and SG1 immediately became the redheaded step children.

Haha it reminds me of that episode of Beavis & Butthead where Butthead tries to give the flour-baby a bath in a lake & says "I'm going to slap you around like a red-headed step child!"

If Gayteworld is to Survive even on scraps thrown by the assholes at SyFy/MGM, it has to comply, if not it'll be Soliciting at the corner of 23rd and Main. They are not covering any other Sci-Fy show out there. There's no Agenda? Well, Fuck me.. That fucking muffdiver is proof that there's an agenda. Serves those fucking nitwits right, for gettting into bed with a bunch of rattlesnakes. Journalistic integrity went out the window, when they saw the guilded "All access Press Pass"

You mean TPTB looked at GW & Darren & saw "All access ass pass".

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Straight from the GW Faq:

Respect your fellow users. Refrain from personal attacks and name-calling. Disagreements and debates are fine, but negative personal comments are not welcome. We want our forum to stay friendly! Stick to the issues and the arguments, and when the debate has concluded, agree to disagree.

Respecting other members means that they have as much right as you to post their opinion, positive or negative, within the boundaries of the forum topic. Do not tell another member that they should leave. You do not have to respect the opinion, but you must respect that person's right to express it. (If you believe someone is violating the forum rules or posting off-topic, report the post to the moderators using the triangle icon in the upper-right corner of the post. Do not respond to the poster.)

Personal disputes are not welcome on the public discussion board. If you feel you must press a personal dispute with someone, do it in private e-mail. This applies to Private Messages and off-forum links, as well.

I guess that rule does not apply anymore??

The only thing I found which may be remotely reasonable is this:

Copyrighted material. Do not post a copyrighted article or other material in its entirety on the forum, without permission from the copyright holder. Instead, post interesting selections/quotations, citing the source, and a link to the full story if it's available on the Web. This includes news stories and other material from GateWorld itself.

Which I guess screencaps could be called. The problem then is, most of the screencaps SGUS shows are defunct/deleted from GW anyway. I'm no legal eagle, but if the site chooses to delete posts, do they still "own" them, or is this similar to tossing your incriminating evidence away and having the cops bust you by going through your trash?

Night Fury

GateFans Noob
We don't Need no Albert Einstein, or Isaac Newton to explain this to us.

Gayteworld, as it's name implies, is a website to cater to the Stargate fans. Since SGU came up, as an illegitimate child from a one night stand, True fans, who are not at confused with the Generic terms of, Dark, Gritty, pithy, snotty, + all 7 names of Snow White's dwarves, rebelled. What's a Gayteworld to do? As the kept mistress of TPTB, Gayteworld has no other choice but to comply for scarfing down those "lobster dinners". Atlantis and SG1 immediately became the redheaded step children.

If Gayteworld is to Survive even on scraps thrown by the assholes at SyFy/MGM, it has to comply, if not it'll be Soliciting at the corner of 23rd and Main. They are not covering any other Sci-Fy show out there. There's no Agenda? Well, Fuck me.. That fucking muffdiver is proof that there's an agenda. Serves those fucking nitwits right, for gettting into bed with a bunch of rattlesnakes. Journalistic integrity went out the window, when they saw the guilded "All access Press Pass"

GW can have the tptb/MGM people happy by showing that the people that post in GW are "happy" (or at least look happy and play by the rules) but the still don't have the right to ban someone there for things said here. It isn't like this web site is controlled by Darren. So what is said here in no way effects GW.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Respect your fellow users. Refrain from personal attacks and name-calling. Disagreements and debates are fine, but negative personal comments are not welcome. We want our forum to stay friendly! Stick to the issues and the arguments, and when the debate has concluded, agree to disagree.

Who decides when a debate is concluded? The unindependent adjudicators such as Muffdiver?

Respecting other members means that they have as much right as you to post their opinion, positive or negative, within the boundaries of the forum topic. Do not tell another member that they should leave. You do not have to respect the opinion, but you must respect that person's right to express it. (If you believe someone is violating the forum rules or posting off-topic, report the post to the moderators using the triangle icon in the upper-right corner of the post. Do not respond to the poster.)

What is this bullshit? This is hypocrisy of the higest order! They should put at the end of the entire paragraph "unless the other guy disses SGU".

Personal disputes are not welcome on the public discussion board. If you feel you must press a personal dispute with someone, do it in private e-mail. This applies to Private Messages and off-forum links, as well.

Linked to your comment:-

I guess that rule does not apply anymore??

The only thing I found which may be remotely reasonable is this:

Linked to this:-

Copyrighted material. Do not post a copyrighted article or other material in its entirety on the forum, without permission from the copyright holder. Instead, post interesting selections/quotations, citing the source, and a link to the full story if it's available on the Web. This includes news stories and other material from GateWorld itself.

Linked to your comment:-

Which I guess screencaps could be called. The problem then is, most of the screencaps SGUS shows are defunct/deleted from GW anyway. I'm no legal eagle, but if the site chooses to delete posts, do they still "own" them, or is this similar to tossing your incriminating evidence away and having the cops bust you by going through your trash?

The paragraph says "Do not post a copyrighted article or other material in its entirety ON THE forum". That tells me that it is ok to publish such material off GW (plus most, if not all people who quote from GW do so with interesting selections/quotations, citing the source, and a link to the full story if it's available on the Web. This includes news stories and other material from GateWorld itself).

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
The problem then is, most of the screencaps SGUS shows are defunct/deleted from GW anyway. I'm no legal eagle, but if the site chooses to delete posts, do they still "own" them, or is this similar to tossing your incriminating evidence away and having the cops bust you by going through your trash?

Oooh a copyright question :) I'm not a lawyer but I've been reading up on copyright law a lot lately. Technically speaking, yes, the copyright holder would still hold the copyright for something even after deleting the content. However, in my understanding it is generally perfectly acceptable to take screenshot "quotations" from a public forum and post them elsewhere for commentary. Doing so falls under fair use - as long as the quoted portions are not too long and they are quoted for the purposes of commentary and analysis. Fair use can get tricky to define and defend, but, based on what I've read, quoting portions of threads for discussion elsewhere would likely be considered fair use, especially when you are not claiming authorship, you are not profiting monetarily, and you are clearly stating where the original content came from. It would be more dangerous to just make a bare duplication of entire threads, with no commentary, parody, or analysis - that would be harder to defend as fair use.

Of course, any actual lawyers or copyright experts feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong!

A Nonny Mouse

GateFans Noob
It's a bit rich Skydiver talking about cyber bullying. Pot calling the kettle black?
I've seen some posts of hers in her capacity as "Moderator" that are extremely abusive.
And any response to them is immediately deleted.

No wonder most of the other mods at gateworld have left.
They probably didn't want anything to do with muffdiver, head of the gateworld gestapo.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
So if I interpret that GW faq right, people should go elsewhere, when they have a problem with someone. I think that is exactly what Rac was doing all the time. It is not like she could answer some of the stupid comments people wrote in the SGU section at Gateworld, because she was already banned there and disputes aren't allowed there, too.

Ohhhh but how dare i try to defend myself elsewhere!!! ;)

Oooh a copyright question :) I'm not a lawyer but I've been reading up on copyright law a lot lately. Technically speaking, yes, the copyright holder would still hold the copyright for something even after deleting the content. However, in my understanding it is generally perfectly acceptable to take screenshot "quotations" from a public forum and post them elsewhere for commentary. Doing so falls under fair use - as long as the quoted portions are not too long and they are quoted for the purposes of commentary and analysis. Fair use can get tricky to define and defend, but, based on what I've read, quoting portions of threads for discussion elsewhere would likely be considered fair use, especially when you are not claiming authorship, you are not profiting monetarily, and you are clearly stating where the original content came from. It would be more dangerous to just make a bare duplication of entire threads, with no commentary, parody, or analysis - that would be harder to defend as fair use.

Of course, any actual lawyers or copyright experts feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong!

as you said- as long as you are not claiming authorship of what was posted, it is perfectly legal to post it. it's on a "public" forum and thus it can be argued that a person standbys what they posted. Most of the screenshots include the author of said post. ;) I guess the poor squedrones really don't like to have to stand by what they posted! ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
They didn't ban Rac for any copyright reasons. They are just annoyed that she mocked people. I bet Skydiver is primary angry, that SHE HERSELF was mocked here! I think she is a regular lurker on SGUsucks.

Hello Skydiver!
135845.gif

say a proper hello....
action-smiley-081-1.gif

Night Fury

GateFans Noob
It would be fun to have her actually post here so she can get the same treatment here that she dishes out there.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

See, but here’s the problem for me. From what I’ve heard, they can manage to carefully examine the SGU section with 2 magnifying glasses, seemingly one in each hand, but they can’t tell one person on one thread that she either needs to calm down and follow what should be the rules if they aren’t already or leave the thread? I’m sorry but that just doesn’t add up for me. I accept it because that’s what happened, but it doesn’t add up. It wouldn’t have been that hard to crack down on that and the hypocrisy that was going on with a few people on that thread.

And the real kicker is that some of those same people were essentially rewarded for our good behavior, while we got punished for their bad behavior. There was another thread that Shweir people had basically kind of hijacked a bit over in the SG-1 section and they pretty much turned it into the John/Elizabeth appreciation thread part 2. None of the JTers went over there to start the same kind of problems that they started on the JT thread, so they didn’t have any issues. What happened because of that? Well, they got their thread stickied to the top of the main forum (because we didn’t storm it with tactics) where it was opened up as a “General Ship” thread, aaaaand we got our thread closed because they ruined it.

Wow, fair fucks mate, I didn't even know that was the case - probably because I've never been a poster on GW & as such, don't really follow what happens there closely.

When people get rewarded for bad behavior while others get punished for not causing problems, that’s what makes some people eventually develop the attitude of “Well, F**k it!” because they see how things work. It shouldn’t be like that, but the troublemakers on the JT thread get/got to happily gloat over it because that’s how it happily worked out for them. To be clear, I don't have a problem with everyone getting to post on a "General Ship" thread, but it's how the whole situation happened that leaves a bad taste behind.

It definitely looks like one rule for us & another entirely different one for them........ & we always get painted sa the bad guys & "haters".

People should have been told that if they couldn’t follow the rules on the JT thread, then they would be asked to leave the thread on their second warning - and that would include “falsely reporting problems” because that was another one of their tactics. That would have let them know that they weren’t going to win using their tactics, instead the problem people were rewarded with another message that was much more pleasing to them. Again, the subject doesn’t matter, it’s the tactics that got me. Personally, I get the impression that they didn't really want to deal with the troublemakers on the JT thread. Certain people over there really prefer Elizabeth, and that might have had something to do with it... :confused:

If we're going to throw around the term "bullying," then I could say that this is what VW was doing on the JT thread when she tried to "strong-arm" people into saying only what she wanted them to say, plus she was being hypocritical because she'd spoken of the same subjects when she wanted to make certain points of her own. Again, that thread should have never been closed; the problem poster(s) should have just been dealt with instead - ESPECIALLY when that seems to be the case in the SGU section...

Indeed, once again double standards.

I could go on about this, but I think I’ve said enough... Perhaps too much.

Thanks, buddy.
anim_handshake.gif

No worries & thanks for clearing all that up for me. :cameron21:

T

Tanith

They might be annoyed by topics such as this one: http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php?590-Annoying-arseholes! and even the Rabid Fan List. I think there fine (for the most part) with disagreements over the show (If you word it nicely lol) but they frown upon their users being more or less insulted behind their back (Even if there is a good reason).

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
They might be annoyed by topics such as this one: http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php?590-Annoying-arseholes! and even the Rabid Fan List. I think there fine (for the most part) with disagreements over the show (If you word it nicely lol) but they frown upon their users being more or less insulted behind their back (Even if there is a good reason).

it's in a PUBLIC forum...how is that behind anyone's back???? the rabids like yourself seem to be proud of it...I guess someone just decided to whine! ;) anyone can come and register here and challenge what we say...heck EvilSpaceAlien visits and discusses our comments about them here. ANYONE is free to come here and say anything as you well know. Don't you get it...I was BANNED for what i say on another site...NOT what I say on GW...that is called censorship!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
So like when you register at GayteWorld you hand over control of your life and they can then tell you what you can and can't do when you're not on their forum?? :eek: