Falling Skies season 2 preview

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Quick! Assemble only the most essential people for the survival of the human race.

- medical doctors - check
- scientists/botanists/biologists - check
- farmers - check
- Siegfried the hair stylist and beauty salon owner - check

Don't forget the supplies!

- food - check (limited supply)
- water - check (will have to purify on site)
- survival gear - check (one backpack per person)
- makeup and hair products - BRING IN THE TRUCKS!!

I was going to say the list needed the standing order to turn on every light and appliance in the hideout but apparently that doesn't have to be spelled out to these folks, after all, those hair dryers don't power themselves!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was going to say the list needed the standing order to turn on every light and appliance in the hideout but apparently that doesn't have to be spelled out to these folks, after all, those hair dryers don't power themselves!

That would be part of the covert survival procedures and tactics manual, in the "How to evade capture from technologically advanced hostile forces" chapter.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That would be part of the covert survival procedures and tactics manual, in the "How to evade capture from technologically advanced hostile forces" chapter.

Oh yeah, I forgot, that's Chapter 3 of the manual -- "Running from Imminent Death is No Reason Not to Look Your Best (Beauty and hygiene tips for those under fire)".

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:icon_rolleyes::anim_59::anim_59::anim_59:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yosh, just because TNT renewed it doesn't mean it is some paragon of TV quality. While improved over last season it definitely has flaws as we have observed.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
well it beats a reality show any day of the week! :) thanks for the update yoshi!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You guys will be pleased that your extensive analysis of this show can continue another year.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/07/11/falling-skies-renewed-by-tnt-for-third-season/141244/

Im glad they did this, only because the showrunners for THIS show seem to actually care about making the show survive. They are willing to make extreme changes. But how will they know what to change unless their audience tells them? My main beefs were the religion in the show, and the completely unlikely original Pope character and Maggie the female grunt (who is also incredibly sexy and wears leather outfits and dirt repellant skin). They have changed all that. Pope and Maggie and all the people in the show look believably like survivors now. Look at each and every character and you will see dirt smudges on them now.

I think this show just needs the requisite 2 or 3 seasons to get the rough edges polished away, and then we will have a great show. Anybody remember how bad Star Trek TNG was with its characters and stories in Season 1? By Season 3, it was the best scifi show on television. :) This show will never wear that crown but it wont have to use the service entrance either. :excitement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well it beats a reality show any day of the week! :) thanks for the update yoshi!

Agreed! Its not as bad as many other shows in recent memory. I liked Terra Nova but they ruined it with the writing and the cutesy kids and the failure to remove negative elements from the show (because they could not see them). They had some good characters, but the bad characters ruined it. The Walking Dead started out as a zombie series, and by the end of season 1 it was a soap opera. I have not viewed any of the episodes of the latest season. Then Caprica, SGU...:facepalm:. One of the best on television right now is Continuum, but it is not in the US at the moment. It actually found ways to include religion, politics, social awareness, morality and just plain Humanity in the show and balance the elements in a perfect fashion.

Anyhoo, this is good news about Falling Skies!

Bluce Ree

I'd hardly call pointing out the glaringly obvious flaws an "extensive analysis", but whatever. Good to know people will continue to be employed. Bad to know that the show will stretch out the more boring story lines, which is to say all of them.

There's so much more story left to tell. In S3, they'll find a fully-stocked, impeccably preserved shopping mall complete with a Red Robin and a Denny's where they'll be able to order bland sandwiches for sustenance on a daily basis, removing the distracting "how do we find food?" aspect of the show and allowing the writers to focus even more on the melodrama.

If they can do away with those damned alien thingies and the rest of the backdrop, they can just rename this show to "fortysomething" and fill the abysmal melodramatic void left by the prematurely cancelled "thirysomething" in the late 80s on ABC.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
By the way, I haven't seen a single second of Falling Skies so my 'extensive analysis' comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I was just referring to it as being one of the shows that gets the biggest discussion on here.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
By the way, I haven't seen a single second of Falling Skies so my 'extensive analysis' comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I was just referring to it as being one of the shows that gets the biggest discussion on here.

New science fiction on TV is hard to come by these days. From my admittedly shallow analysis I think it deserved a season 3. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
we had the magical emergency kit for SGU...we need an emergency MANUAL for this show....with chapter headings like ...Recipes for filthy excons who learned to cook in prison!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There's so much more story left to tell. In S3, they'll find a fully-stocked, impeccably preserved shopping mall complete with a Red Robin and a Denny's where they'll be able to order bland sandwiches for sustenance on a daily basis, removing the distracting "how do we find food?" aspect of the show and allowing the writers to focus even more on the melodrama.

If they can do away with those damned alien thingies and the rest of the backdrop, they can just rename this show to "fortysomething" and fill the abysmal melodramatic void left by the prematurely cancelled "thirysomething" in the late 80s on ABC.

This show is taking me on a roller coaster ride in many ways. I didn't care for the first season for myriad reasons but I did like the Season 2 opener because the show had changed in many ways, or so I thought. We're now several episodes deep into this season and I'm having a hard time restraining myself from being more vitriolic about it. What little ground they made up with me they're quickly losing.

For instance, I thought they had toned-down the family melodrama this season but what I'm noticing is that it's still there, only in shorter, more truncated scenes. I swear in every episode Tom has a scene (or two or twelve) with one of his sons where he cries a little bit, tells them he loves them and then shows them how to apply a Tampon. He then goes on to reenact the same scene with Weaver although sometimes Weaver demonstrates to Tom how to apply the Tampon. Sigh... :dispirited:

At any rate, I don't hate the show on the same level as I did SGU. Nothing could be that bad ever again (I hope). As it is I want to like this show. I want a good sci-fi drama to watch. I don't want it to fail but rather to get better and prosper. When I see laughably bad writing though I'll point it out as everyone should. Can we expect perfection? No, of course not, but we can, and should, expect a quality production that doesn't insult our intelligence.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
The first few seasons of ST-TNG sucked donkey balls too - but I'm glad they kept that one going. Maybe Falling Skies will find its way. :beckett_new049:

Bluce Ree

This show is taking me on a roller coaster ride in many ways. I didn't care for the first season for myriad reasons but I did like the Season 2 opener because the show had changed in many ways, or so I thought. We're now several episodes deep into this season and I'm having a hard time restraining myself from being more vitriolic about it. What little ground they made up with me they're quickly losing.

For instance, I thought they had toned-down the family melodrama this season but what I'm noticing is that it's still there, only in shorter, more truncated scenes. I swear in every episode Tom has a scene (or two or twelve) with one of his sons where he cries a little bit, tells them he loves them and then shows them how to apply a Tampon. He then goes on to reenact the same scene with Weaver although sometimes Weaver demonstrates to Tom how to apply the Tampon. Sigh... :dispirited:

At any rate, I don't hate the show on the same level as I did SGU. Nothing could be that bad ever again (I hope). As it is I want to like this show. I want a good sci-fi drama to watch. I don't want it to fail but rather to get better and prosper. When I see laughably bad writing though I'll point it out as everyone should. Can we expect perfection? No, of course not, but we can, and should, expect a quality production that doesn't insult our intelligence.

Goddammit!! I gotta learn not to have a beverage in my hand or food in my mouth when I'm about to read one of your posts!

:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
As expected there will be a third season of Falling Skies. Not being able to see the show I was surprised to see that the season consists of just 10 episodes. Obviously they can't spend half a show reminiscing about walking down to the store to buy a Slurpee every Friday night.

Remi Abuchon tweeted several weeks back that they were working on Season Three, which means that he might still be the show-runner whatever that work entails. Being one of the creators of Caprica to bad he didn't stick around to develop his work instead of running down to Mexico to film Persons Unknown.

With very little true Sci-Fi on TV anymore even a little bit does seem like an "oasis in the middle of a dry-bone desert". Up next Continuum part 7 of 10 on Sunday along with the new version of Sinbad the Sailor.