Falling Skies season 2 preview

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Oh jeez, please stop it with the kids and focus on the overall story. Hopefully, they do that instead of prolonging the overall story with meaningless filler melodrama.

G

Graybrew1

Oh jeez, please stop it with the kids and focus on the overall story. Hopefully, they do that instead of prolonging the overall story with meaningless filler melodrama.
I could not agree more and please skip the birthday parties and baby showers too. Give me more Pope.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They destroyed Earth because out in space they intercepted some transmissions from Earth and mistakenly thought they were an accurate picture of humanity (like the Thermians did in Galaxy Quest). Unfortunately what they intercepted was the complete series of SGU - they then decided they had to destroy Earth to save the rest of the universe...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They destroyed Earth because out in space they intercepted some transmissions from Earth and mistakenly thought they were an accurate picture of humanity (like the Thermians did in Galaxy Quest). Unfortunately what they intercepted was the complete series of SGU - they then decided they had to destroy Earth to save the rest of the universe...

That sounds more exciting than the current premise!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Green! :D

not sure how excited I am about it coming back. the "family scifi drama" seems to be en vogue now, but I will admit I don't like it. Didn't like the original lost in space either! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What interests me is how they handle the aging of the kids in the show between seasons. They focused so much on the kids in the first season that it will be impossible for viewers not to notice they have grown (kids sprout up so fast). Are they going to jump forward in the timeline by months or years? You can already tell that the kid they rescued from the skitters is now older (I didn't bother looking for the smaller brat as I simply don't care about his character at all). Will be interesting to see how they handle that issue.

(I remember noticing in the UK series "Survivors" that the cute kid in the first season had grown considerably and was no longer a cute kid but rather tall and gangly. By the end of the show they were only showing his face in the scenes. You could tell they were trying desperately not to show how much he had grown as the timeline for events didn't match the length of filming the series.)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Watching the premiere.

So far everyone looks remarkably clean and well fed, and all the women are neatly coiffed. Plot was not really evident but it wasn't soapy either. They really do need to cut the personal drama out and also make the people look dirtier and more hungry.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, overall the two episodes were "okay". I could have done without the angsty stuff, and like I said earlier the women still are all neatly styled and things like that. However there actually was action, and having them actually speak to an alien furthered the story a little.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, overall the two episodes were "okay". I could have done without the angsty stuff, and like I said earlier the women still are all neatly styled and things like that. However there actually was action, and having them actually speak to an alien furthered the story a little.

So, its worth a watch? I was kinda wondering what happened after the main dude got taken into the alien ship by the tall humanoid two legged alien. Funny, I cant remember one single name of any of the characters except Pope. :) The others escape me...damn those breaks! I will see if I can get my hands on them. :peaceful:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Believe it or not I think they did a pretty good job with the opener to season 2. They've streamlined the writing, cut down the cast and are toning down the angsty stuff. I don't know if it was just because the 2 eps were the season opener but they did move along fairly fast, which I liked. Even Tom's "What happened on the alien ship" scenes didn't seem to drag.

There were a couple of dumb moments that bugged me but they were minor and not made into drawn out affairs:

Case in point, when Pope says he would have put a bullet into Tom's head as soon as he returned from the aliens and then draws his gun on the commander and Tom's son (Tom wasn't even in the scene) made no sense at all. It was a very obvious attempt at forcing drama. Yawn. We get it, Pope is working with the others out of necessity but he's still his own man. Yawn yawn yawn.

Also, when the little brat picks up a rifle and starts firing at the aliens...while he's out in the open...while the shielded adults doing the fighting behind barricades are being blown away left and right yet the kid somehow manages to not get a scratch... Yeah, sure.

The other thing that bugged me was when Tom disarms the guy beating up the little girl that he comes across. As soon as the guy is gone Tom empties the revolver of bullets. At first I was like WTF? Is this another feel good anti-gun propaganda moment? In the case of an alien invasion it's highly doubtful that anyone would empty their sole weapon of bullets while traversing alien infested territory. Later on they showed Tom not trusting himself after being held in alien captivity and being worried he was brainwashed by them, so in some respects that action makes sense, sort of, especially since he knows they let him live and get away.

As it is I don't know the reason for them including the little girl that journeyed with Tom as he made his way back to his camp. If they were using her character as a sounding board for Tom to opine on things it fell flat. Her makeup was horrible and she looked like a little zombie, not a dirty faced kid.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I liked the eyeball scene. :cool:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Okay i can't get ape's spoiler tag to open...what am I doing wrong?:frown:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Okay i can't get ape's spoiler tag to open...what am I doing wrong?:frown:

Spoilers only seem to work right if one clicks the "Go Advanced" button first. It's probably a VB bug.

I'll bet ape was just moaning about little kids and bad make-up anyway... :tongue:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Spoilers only seem to work right if one clicks the "Go Advanced" button first. It's probably a VB bug.

I'll bet ape was just moaning about little kids and bad make-up anyway... :tongue:

Spoiler tags need a name. The opening spoiler tag needs to looks like this =>
Here's what the spoiler with that title would look like:

YAY! It works ... and that's the high point of my day. :(

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

nope its a coding or some weird implementation error specific to gatefans as i know quite a few VB forums using spoilertags yet they work fine ie all you need to do is highlight the text you want hidden and press the add spoiler tags button then post and voila it works however here it work in a much more tedious stupid way and personally i just dont bother using it BC of the unneccesary extra step i have to take.

YES im LAZY!