Falling Skies season 2 preview

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Spoiler tags need a name. The opening spoiler tag needs to looks like this =>
Here's what the spoiler with that title would look like:

YAY! It works ... and that's the high point of my day. :(
yes but only here.. on gateworld you dont and personally that extra step pisses and annoys the living shit out of me :P

and aaw high point of your day? well before the anarchy should be starting soon so there is something to look forward too ;)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
nope its a coding or some weird implementation error specific to gatefans as i know quite a few VB forums using spoilertags yet they work fine ie all you need to do is highlight the text you want hidden and press the add spoiler tags button then post and voila it works however here it work in a much more tedious stupid way and personally i just dont bother using it BC of the unneccesary extra step i have to take.

YES im LAZY!

I think it might be a browser thing too. Adding a Spoiler title seems to be cancelled by a windows popup blocker.

I just did this one from a quick reply!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree it was better than the treacle-y crud from last season.

The whole "hero on the alien ship" thing really went nowhere. However, it at least had actual dialog with an alien where they offered to the resistance to create reservations for the humans to live on unmolested if they surrendered. So the story is a bit more to the forefront even though there is still too much angst stuff for my tastes. So improvement there. Also more action.

On the other hand, the plot still lacks logic and coherency in many places and like I said earlier these people are remarkably well up kept (especially the women). And that does undermine the sense of peril and desperation somewhat.

G

Graybrew1

I was not exactly thrilled by this ep, or eps, however you look at it. It was "okay". I am pretty darn desperate for any form of Scifi so I will obviously continue to watch it, but I certainly hope the bratty kid gets his and Pope is turned back down a few notches to more of who he was last season. I am still not in love with Noah Wylie is this room either. We did however get some good Alien scenes and a bit more knowledge about their agenda. I agree the eyeball scene was just plain groooooooooosssssssssssss.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I agree it was better than the treacle-y crud from last season.

The whole "hero on the alien ship" thing really went nowhere. However, it at least had actual dialog with an alien where they offered to the resistance to create reservations for the humans to live on unmolested if they surrendered. So the story is a bit more to the forefront even though there is still too much angst stuff for my tastes. So improvement there. Also more action.

On the other hand, the plot still lacks logic and coherency in many places and like I said earlier these people are remarkably well up kept (especially the women). And that does undermine the sense of peril and desperation somewhat.

you mean FARMS...so they can have more kids to turn into skitters?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
#1. Thanks Bluce for fixing the spoiler tag in my post. I thought it was working fine when I first did it but later it seemed to be acting weird. I probably didn't post it correctly.

#2. If anyone recalls I was not in love with Falling Skies last year (in fact I referred to it as Failing Skies). I'm certainly not in love with it this season either but I do think they made some changes for the better. I like that they seemed to streamline things and cut down the cast.

Also, it did seem that they reduced the melodrama but, on second thought I did notice that they had a fair amount of it, it was simply reduced in terms of screen time. The "I'm your dad and I love you blah blah blah" stuff was still in evidence. Plus, the doctor chick was a bit too overly dramatic about her feelings for Tom. It felt forced.

At any rate, it's not as bad as The Walking Dead so that's probably why I'm giving FS the benefit of the doubt. If they don't answer some important questions like why the aliens are here to begin with and show how society collapsed when they arrived I'll be losing interest quickly. I don't care for unanswered questions in TV shows. I also don't care for ridiculous plots such as the aliens coming here to steal our children. Yawn.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
you mean FARMS...so they can have more kids to turn into skitters?

I hope to God that that isn't the reason the aliens are here; to turn Earth's children into skitters. :grey: If that's the case they should just tell us so I can stop watching now.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
yes but only here.. on gateworld you dont and personally that extra step pisses and annoys the living shit out of me :P

and aaw high point of your day? well before the anarchy should be starting soon so there is something to look forward too ;)

LOL! I'm up north. After the first couple days of joy and fun seeing the whole family a year later, it pretty much settles down as there's not much else to do in Montreal other than sit out by the freeway with a bag of popcorn and watch chunks of cement fall off the overpasses and bridges as they collapse onto passing vehicles.

You're right about the spoiler tags. I'll take a look at the spoiler tag code when I get a minute to see if I can remove the requirement for titles. It does seem silly to force a title.

B

Backstep

All the other comments hit on the important parts, so i'll add that the writers listened and stopped 'god girl' from proselytizing and was shown doing medical work. hope this keeps up all season long.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am liking what they did with Season 2 of Falling Skies!

Believe it or not I think they did a pretty good job with the opener to season 2. They've streamlined the writing, cut down the cast and are toning down the angsty stuff. I don't know if it was just because the 2 eps were the season opener but they did move along fairly fast, which I liked. Even Tom's "What happened on the alien ship" scenes didn't seem to drag.

There were a couple of dumb moments that bugged me but they were minor and not made into drawn out affairs:

Case in point, when Pope says he would have put a bullet into Tom's head as soon as he returned from the aliens and then draws his gun on the commander and Tom's son (Tom wasn't even in the scene) made no sense at all. It was a very obvious attempt at forcing drama. Yawn. We get it, Pope is working with the others out of necessity but he's still his own man. Yawn yawn yawn.

Also, when the little brat picks up a rifle and starts firing at the aliens...while he's out in the open...while the shielded adults doing the fighting behind barricades are being blown away left and right yet the kid somehow manages to not get a scratch... Yeah, sure.

The other thing that bugged me was when Tom disarms the guy beating up the little girl that he comes across. As soon as the guy is gone Tom empties the revolver of bullets. At first I was like WTF? Is this another feel good anti-gun propaganda moment? In the case of an alien invasion it's highly doubtful that anyone would empty their sole weapon of bullets while traversing alien infested territory. Later on they showed Tom not trusting himself after being held in alien captivity and being worried he was brainwashed by them, so in some respects that action makes sense, sort of, especially since he knows they let him live and get away.

As it is I don't know the reason for them including the little girl that journeyed with Tom as he made his way back to his camp. If they were using her character as a sounding board for Tom to opine on things it fell flat. Her makeup was horrible and she looked like a little zombie, not a dirty faced kid.

Your comment best describes my feelings on this premiere episode. But like you, I thought they did a pretty good job of re-balancing the elements. Noticeable differences for me:

1. There is a new "grime-chic" look to everybody. Everybody's face has at least one smudge or wound on it, and everybody's clothes are dirty and not made of leather.
  2. The blonde girl who fights and shoots is WAY more toned down and I like having her in the show now.
  3. Pope has become more of a character and his personality is still shining bright in this show.
  4. The youngest son seems less like a little whiney kid and seems to be more like a normal kid.
  5. The character development of the middle son Ben is really interesting now. The conflict/rivalry dynamic with his brother is interesting.
  6. Weaver has come into his own as the true patriarch/Commander of this group.
  7. I actually care about Rick's character for reasons other than him being a father to his boys. He has integrity.
  8. Doctor Glass is awesome and she really provides the glue for the interpersonal relationships in the show.

I just got finished watching it minutes ago, after having ignored its return for season 2. I think I will like the rest, so I am getting them now. :icon_clap:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The season has been a tad uneven but definitely better than Season 1 - it's watchable now despite my constant picking on the women all being well coiffed which means that in the devastated earth beauty products are apparently a priority item.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The season has been a tad uneven but definitely better than Season 1 - it's watchable now despite my constant picking on the women all being well coiffed which means that in the devastated earth beauty products are apparently a priority item.

You know man, I was actually looking for some of that but I noticed the exact opposite. :) Last season, everybody was squeaky clean all the time, we had the nice safe school to hang out at, and the so-called disaster with earth being overcome by aliens just was not coming off. The characters we had last season were more like caricatures crafted from cliched character types. But this season, everybody is noticeably grimy and tattered, the environs actually look like there was a global disaster, and the goal of staying alive and safe and a step ahead of the aliens who pursue them seems more plausible.

I am glad that they stopped concentrating on the kids, and I am glad they took the "God Girl" character and made her a regular character. Same with the blonde girl who fights (cant remember her character name for the life of me). In season one, they had her in leather and all dolled up for the show. They even had Pope dolled up for season one, and they dressed everybody like they were still able to shop at the mall. This season it really seems different. I can actually see characters in it. :) I am now on episode 3.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meh, This episode was kinda slow and downbeat with the loss of Jimmy. And this is the second episode they had Henry (from Sanctuary) in the show as a Berserker. He feels tacked on to the show because of his departure from Sanctuary, but he is more like an extra in this show than a main character. Still, I like the show! I am really liking how they have taken away the extreme elements of the show and "rounded them off". I also like the change in the way they are showing the skitters. The aliens seem to be more than just mindless murdering creatures and there is a purpose behind them. Im worried about Ben....

Off to episode 4! :smiley-money-mouth:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yawn....well, there was a high point in this episode of seeing exactly how these "harnesses" are put on the children. The rest of it with all the tinkling piano and soulful guitar playing seemed sorta downbeat. I notice they are giving our "Henry from Sanctuary" lots of screen time in this new role of his as the sensitive Berserker.

The downside was the whole daughter Jean and her boyfriend Diego. Those kids take off and then Matt thinks of going with them? Okay. Two of these drama heavy episodes back to back is not a good thing. :( I am downloading episode 5 as I write this. Hope it is more upbeat! :icon_e_smile:

Oops! Just found the Episode threads for the show. Next comments on Episode 5 go there.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Argh!!!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Last nights episode has got me more cynical about this show. They keep doing these scenes in every single episode where Tom has a deep, heartfelt come to Jesus moment with his kids and/or Weaver. :disgust:

Plus there are the HUGE gaps in logic that are really driving me nuts, like this crap [POSSIBLE SPOILER]:

They are doing their best to hide from the mechs so what do they do? They take refuge in a well-stocked hospital, find the emergency generators and then turn on the lights...every light...at night.

Bluce Ree

Last nights episode has got me more cynical about this show. They keep doing these scenes in every single episode where Tom has a deep, heartfelt come to Jesus moment with his kids and/or Weaver. :disgust:

Plus there are the HUGE gaps in logic that are really driving me nuts, like this crap [POSSIBLE SPOILER]:

They are doing their best to hide from the mechs so what do they do? They take refuge in a well-stocked hospital, find the emergency generators and then turn on the lights...every light...at night.

But, if they didn't turn on the lights, how do you expect us to see them on TV? :McKayrolleyes:

Bluce Ree

But, if they didn't turn on the lights, how do you expect us to see them on TV? :McKayrolleyes:

Then again, it's "Falling Skies". It would probably be the exact same experience for me if I were watching entire scenes filled with boring dialogue like this:

Gold-Black_Square-1.JPG

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I was having trouble with the spoiler tags again (not sure what the problem was) so I apologize for putting it in the main text of the post, but...to be honest I'm not that upset about it because it was such a stupid thing that they did in the show that it needed to be exposed. I mean really, running from aliens in a world without power and they turn the lights on in the hospital in the middle of the night????????????

They didn't even cover up the windows and/or keep everyone secured in one area that had black-out drapes. Hell, there were people walking all over the place. Are the aliens that stupid that they can't detect electro-magnetic heat signatures in a totally dark world????????