Episode Review: Ep 215 "Seizure"

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I totally agree with your comment. I'd like to add that if lt. James (notice how I don't call her McBoobs) doesn't like it when people (especially McKay) stares at her breasts she shouldn't go stand right in front of him with her boobies at his eye level. By the way I think many women like it when men look at their breasts, it makes them feel attractive, it's why God has invented cleavage.

And why medicine invented plastic surgery.

S

Stonelesscutter

You're equating what he imagined in his head with what he did to Lt. Cannons McBoobs.

It's true he was more condescending and obnoxious in SG1 but, even then, he never stared down Carter's, or anyone's, shirt like a horny school boy. But you do have to admit that going through an experience such as his on Atlantis, isolated from Earth and everything he's known, would have changed him as he learned true camaraderie, depending on those around you and a new found respect for others around him in a whole new light, including women. Even his own sister had remarked how much he's changed. So, reverting him back to "1st appearance on SG1 Mckay" to contrive a laugh was really a slap in the face.

Lt. Chesty McBlimptits inferred he was a pervert two episodes ago because he stared at her military assets before. :icon_lol:

McKay absolutely went through a lot of growth on Atlantis. And no I haven't caught him looking at breasts there. That doesn't mean he didn't do it. But a point I was trying to make is that it's not a sin to look at breasts, it doesn't make you a pervert. It would be perverted if he actually reached out to try to touch the breasts. Also if a person grew a lot doesn't mean he lost his basic human instincts/rights. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Swing ... and a miss. She inferred he was a pervert while speaking with Johansen in Twin Densities, thereby establishing him as a creepy pervert prior to this episode.

You completely missed the point but that's ok.

Lt James may have implied that but as we established in this episode, such circumstances may have been misconstrued by her. Plus I'm not about to take her opinion of Mckay as fact over say mine.

As for missing the point, well I don't think I have. People are finding ways to claim that SGU ignored Mckay's development on SGA and turn him into a pervert - my suggestion is that there was no such agenda within the episode. For me it gelled fine with the Mckay (and woolsey) I'd last seen a few years ago.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
You're right. I'm sorry.
Apparently I'm having my manly period at the moment.
But your review isn't exactly nice towards SGU either.
Still I think I made some points here and haven't received a real reply on that.
I don't feel I was rude by the way.

I have been very nice towards SGU, you can ask anyone here. I felt this episode did not serve Mckay's character any justice, and I also have seen all the SGA and SG-1 eps, and it went back to the SG-1 Mckay back all the way in Season 6. He had developed by the end of S5 of SGA and was not this pervert we remember from the SG-1 days. I think stclare will back me up on this.

As per your post. I've been dished out all kinds of replies to my posts. When you say to get over myself, and that I have never seen the show because you disagree with my opinion is over the top. So if you were not trying to be rude, then that is fine. I don't want this to become like GW where we cannot just talk this out in the open.

Yes, I am a big SGA fan, the name of the episode was "Grace under pressure" ;) I did not even have to look it up.

S

Stonelesscutter

Swing ... and a miss. She inferred he was a pervert while speaking with Johansen in Twin Densities, thereby establishing him as a creepy pervert prior to this episode.

You completely missed the point but that's ok.

You know how women can often get a wrong idea of a guy. McKay was obviously into her looks and had trouble keeping his eyes of her. That doesn't make him a pervert. If it had been a goodlooking guy looking at her in exactly the same way she wouldn't have called him a pervert. I think this actually says more about lt. James' character then McKay. We all know McKay a lot better than we do lt. James. And as has already been established, he doesn't really walk around looking at breasts. I sense lt. James has a sort of thing, let's call it a 'big boob complex'. She is very aware that she has big boobs and she knows from experience how much men like them. She's therefore placing a lot of emphasis on her own boobs and on wether or not people look at it.

Bluce Ree

McKay absolutely went through a lot of growth on Atlantis. And no I haven't caught him looking at breasts there. That doesn't mean he didn't do it. But a point I was trying to make is that it's not a sin to look at breasts, it doesn't make you a pervert. It would be perverted if he actually reached out to try to touch the breasts. Also if a person grew a lot doesn't mean he lost his basic human instincts/rights. :)

You're right but she already implied he was a pervert prior to this episode. Having him ogle is just reaffirming the comedic moment they contrived by making a respected and established character into the obnoxious pompous ass from the first appearance.

Anyone ogling breasts for more than a moment will come off as perverted. There's looking and then there's ogling. He stared until she told him she was "up here". Even if we blame the fact he appeared there with her knockers in his face, it doesn't help the writers' case. One doesn't just become Lieutenant by running through some tires and crawling under some barbed wire. Either way, they ridiculed him or degraded her.

Bluce Ree

You know how women can often get a wrong idea of a guy. McKay was obviously into her looks and had trouble keeping his eyes of her. That doesn't make him a pervert. If it had been a goodlooking guy looking at her in exactly the same way she wouldn't have called him a pervert. I think this actually says more about lt. James' character then McKay. We all know McKay a lot better than we do lt. James. And as has already been established, he doesn't really walk around looking at breasts. I sense lt. James has a sort of thing, let's call it a 'big boob complex'. She is very aware that she has big boobs and she knows from experience how much men like them. She's therefore placing a lot of emphasis on her own boobs and on wether or not people look at it.

I agree that's also a possibility, which makes the whole "she's a lieutenant" thing all the more unbelievable. They might as well have made Chloe an honorary lieutenant and given her stripes for taking it like a soldier from behind by Scott.

S

Stonelesscutter

I have been very nice towards SGU, you can ask anyone here. I felt this episode did not serve Mckay's character any justice, and I also have seen all the SGA and SG-1 eps, and it went back to the SG-1 Mckay back all the way in Season 6. He had developed by the end of S5 of SGA and was not this pervert we remember from the SG-1 days. I think stclare will back me up on this.

As per your post. I've been dished out all kinds of replies to my posts. When you say to get over myself, and that I have never seen the show because you disagree with my opinion is over the top. So if you were not trying to be rude, then that is fine. I don't want this to become like GW where we cannot just talk this out in the open.

Yes, I am a big SGA fan, the name of the episode was "Grace under pressure" ;) I did not even have to look it up.

I probably went over the top. Once again I apologize.
It's just that when I read your piece it felt very much like an SGU bashing essay and not as much as a review.
There's nothing wrong with being an SGA fan by the way.
I'm an SG1 fan, SGA fan and although I've been more than vocal in the past about things I didn't like about SGU I also find myself becoming a fan of it.
I've been around sgusucks pretty much from the early beginnings and over the past year and a half I've read a whole lot of negative postings, even took part in that meself.
But I have gotten a bit sick of that. It's a reason I've been away from the site for a while.
Now that there's a new site called gatefans I feel more in place again.
A place that's not just about hating sgu anymore, but for SG fans and scifi fans in general.
I really felt an urge to say my piece here.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
But your review isn't exactly nice towards SGU either.
Guys, please check out our rules.

If you have a disagreement with someone’s point of view, address the subject, not the person.
It's OK to attack the subject here (in this case an SGU episode), but it's not OK to attack another member because of his opinion. Let's not cross that line.

S

Stonelesscutter

I agree that's also a possibility, which makes the whole "she's a lieutenant" thing all the more unbelievable. They might as well have made Chloe an honorary lieutenant and given her stripes for taking it like a soldier from behind by Scott.

Heheheheheh. Who knows it may be the way James got hers. (note the double meaning here :P)

S

Stonelesscutter

Guys, please check out our rules.

It's OK to attack the subject here (in this case an SGU episode), but it's not OK to attack another member because of his opinion. Let's not cross that line.

I didn't mean to attack Briangate, I was attacking his review.
It's okay for a review to contain an opinion as long as objectivity is also observed, but as I noted I found he went off topic with it on several occasions.
I have no ill feelings towards Briangate whatsoever, though I admit I may have been a bit too vocal in my comment.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It's just that when I read your piece it felt very much like an SGU bashing essay and not as much as a review.
I'm an SG1 fan, SGA fan and although I've been more than vocal in the past about things I didn't like about SGU I also find myself becoming a fan of it.
I've been around sgusucks pretty much from the early beginnings and over the past year and a half I've read a whole lot of negative postings, even took part in that meself.
But I have gotten a bit sick of that. It's a reason I've been away from the site for a while.
A place that's not just about hating sgu anymore, but for SG fans and scifi fans in general.

Dude
I think you made the "classic" SGU fan mistake. That being any criticism is based on "hatred" for SGU or total "SGA fanwankery". I think Brian (and he can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) was coming from a place of deep disapointment, rather than "hate" Whenever anything doesn't "live up to our percieved potential", it's natural to be disapointed, but when that's combined with a deep love of the subject, it stings so much harder and we're even more dissapointed, and vocal about it. I'll reserve judgement till I see it for myself, but even some of the more :smiley_squee: fans have given it quite a bit of stick.

S

Stonelesscutter

Dude
I think you made the "classic" SGU fan mistake. That being any criticism is based on "hatred" for SGU or total "SGA fanwankery". I think Brian (and he can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) was coming from a place of deep disapointment, rather than "hate" Whenever anything doesn't "live up to our percieved potential", it's natural to be disapointed, but when that's combined with a deep love of the subject, it stings so much harder and we're even more dissapointed, and vocal about it. I'll reserve judgement till I see it for myself, but even some of the more :smiley_squee: fans have given it quite a bit of stick.

I disagree. I can understand some people are disappointed and some people aren't, that's the way things usually work out.
But when a review of an SGU episode contains phrases such as these...

...it felt like a slap in the SGA fans face that there will be no more Atlantis.

...well SGU managed to throw out the 5 years of SGA where he developed.

As per the main characters, all of them annoyed me in this episode, and that is very hard to do.

I truly am one of the SGA fans who knew SGA was canceled by a creative decision, and the show was still performing, and was very vocal and passionate about the cancelation. It really dissapointed me that SGU has now made SGA, no pun intended, Extinct.

I am in total agreement, and that has been my arguement since day one.

I think you will understand why I felt it came across as a piece of anti-SGU-pro-SGA prose.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob

Yeah I see where you are coming at, but eps like "Twin Destinies" I raved about, I should of chosen that episode to review. I had high hopes for this episode because I think it was going to be one of the better eps of the series, I was wrong.

Dude

I disagree. I can understand some people are disappointed and some people aren't, that's the way things usually work out.

...it felt like a slap in the SGA fans face that there will be no more Atlantis.

As per the main characters, all of them annoyed me in this episode, and that is very hard to do.

I truly am one of the SGA fans who knew SGA was canceled by a creative decision, and the show was still performing, and was very vocal and passionate about the cancelation. It really dissapointed me that SGU has now made SGA, no pun intended, Extinct.

I think you will understand why I felt it came across as a piece of anti-SGU-pro-SGA prose.

I felt this episode did not serve any justice towards SGA. I was looking for more of a "Pegasus Project" type episode. I think too much focus was put onto the B story. Which erased all the events of "Hope" which was a good episode.

I am not Anti-SGU, i would be posting at SGUS still if I was.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Look at every one of those phrases my man, they are all expressions of dissapointment, not really "anti-sgu". Being pro-SGA? well, you do have to expect comparisons when you are dealing with what has been billed as "the SGU/SGA crossover ep", it's unavoidable.

I think it's a fair cop to say the review *at worst* was somewhat "one dimensional" (due to the focus perhaps), but again the reviewer (Brian) wanted to know about the SGA characters and how they would interact with the SGU crew, and he was errm, "underwelmed" by it. We all watch different shows for different reasons mate, and we all have our own biases. As you said, write a review of your own! Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing 2 reviews for every episode for exactly that reason. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

Look at every one of those phrases my man, they are all expressions of dissapointment, not really "anti-sgu". Being pro-SGA? well, you do have to expect comparisons when you are dealing with what has been billed as "the SGU/SGA crossover ep", it's unavoidable.

I think it's a fair cop to say the review *at worst* was somewhat "one dimensional" (due to the focus perhaps), but again the reviewer (Brian) wanted to know about the SGA characters and how they would interact with the SGU crew, and he was errm, "underwelmed" by it. We all watch different shows for different reasons mate, and we all have our own biases. As you said, write a review of your own! Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing 2 reviews for every episode for exactly that reason. :)

Okay so he was disappointed, then I was disappointed. Let's all be friends.
I dunno if the ep was marketed as a crossover ep, if it was that would be pretty damn stupid, coz it was in no way a crossover, just some people that used to be part of one show appearing in another.
If that has become the definition of a crossover ep then the first ep that had general Oneill in it was also a crossover.
I can see why someone would be disappointed over that.

As for writing the review, I can see your point and I kinda felt that one coming even when I wrote my first comment.
But I have just agreed to writing a review for the 17th ep I believe and I don't know if I want to write another one for this ep.
Then again, I'm not sure, so I may do it anyway depending on how I feel about it the coming days.
I agree, more than one review is always better, especially if they come from different viewpoints.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
LOL, I should of never agreed to review this episode. I have not even commented on GW because I will get replies 10 times worse than Stone here, lol.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Okay so he was disappointed, then I was disappointed. Let's all be friends.
I dunno if the ep was marketed as a crossover ep, if it was that would be pretty damn stupid, coz it was in no way a crossover, just some people that used to be part of one show appearing in another.
If that has become the definition of a crossover ep then the first ep that had general Oneill in it was also a crossover.
I can see why someone would be disappointed over that.
It very much was "sold" as a crossover ep, go back a few pages and check out the space promo for the best example. Should it have been marketed that way? Judging by the VERY mixed reviews from fans and skeptics alike, umm, probably not.

As for writing the review, I can see your point and I kinda felt that one coming even when I wrote my first comment.
But I have just agreed to writing a review for the 17th ep I believe and I don't know if I want to write another one for this ep.
Then again, I'm not sure, so I may do it anyway depending on how I feel about it the coming days.
I agree, more than one review is always better, especially if they come from different viewpoints.

Sure!
I'm currently pondering weather to post my review of "Hope" on GW for the exact same reason, even more, as I still have all of S2.5 on my DVR I'm cosidering going back and doing all of them (thats a threat, NOT a promise mods!! :D)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL, I should of never agreed to review this episode. I have not even commented on GW because I will get replies 10 times worse than Stone here, lol.

It's a boatload harder to be puely objective about things you love dude, thats all. Also, I don't think you would cop as much stick on GW for that review ATM, there is an overall feeling of disapointment (imo) over there about this ep.