Episode Review: Ep 215 "Seizure"

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
LINK to front site review HERE

Ok here is my full review...

Plot/Story

Ok we have a main and B story for this episode, one being about a mission to go to the Langaria to try and use their Stargate and resources to dial destiny, and they bring in Atlantis' Mckay to do the job. The other story was Rush and Amanda Perry being in some kind of dream world or Matrix.

Starting with the main story. It seemed they were all over the place with this. They had a mission that served no purpose, you had an angry Telford trying to force people to make it work, and in the end was just a big failure, sorta like the episode, imho. Mckay and Woosley were underused in the plot even they had decent air time. It was cool how they used the stones to trick the people on Langaria to switch bodies.

What really irked me was Telford trying to offer Mckay a job on Destiny, it felt like a slap in the SGA fans face that there will be no more Atlantis. That line almost made me turn off the TV set, but I prevailed and continued to watch.
Getting to the B Story. Well the sex scenes don't bother me too much, but I just think it was a filler story and then the whole end with Ginn and Perry being forever locked into Destiny where they cannot access, basically took last week's episode and made it pointless, imo. So one step forward, two steps back, imo. I felt the story should of been one main one.

I am looking at some of the votes for the Lucian Alliance question on Syfy. With the exception of Simeon and Kiva, the LA has been a weak enemy, and I think one of SGU's issues is not having a strong main enemy or nemesis.

Characterization/Character

I was looking forward to seeing Mckay, well SGU managed to throw out the 5 years of SGA where he developed. Also, when did Mckay ever become a pervert? He was always taking that nervous approach with woman like Carter, Katie, and Keller. He never tried to look down their shirt, and always had a respect for these three woman even if he did have a crush on them. No offense, Lt. James is pure eye candy and a sex symbol for this show, and it makes you wonder why SGU lacks a female audience.
Woolsey was not bad in this episode.

I liked Woolsey in SGA's 5th season because he tried to be more fair with a situation and review both viewpoints and sides. Young and Telford had a plan and he did not want to have anything to do with it, but he went along with it, only to find proof that the langarians were not siding with the Lucian Alliance.

As per the main characters, all of them annoyed me in this episode, and that is very hard to do.

Overall/Final Thought

I jumped into this episode with high expectations. I truly am one of the SGA fans who knew SGA was canceled by a creative decision, and the show was still performing, and was very vocal and passionate about the cancelation. It really dissapointed me that SGU has now made SGA, no pun intended, Extinct. If the franchise ends with SGU, I will be truly dissapointed. Even David Hewlett said in an interview that he thinks SGU's problem was that it did not take as much "Stargate influence" as it needed from the other two series. I am in total agreement, and that has been my arguement since day one.

Final Grade: C

*See, I warned ya, I was not holding back if this episode was not as good as I wanted it to be*

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
thanks Brian :)

I watched the 16 mins all nicely cut up from the ep for me, I have to say boob scene bloody insulting, come join the destiney - maybe BW & co had plans to add him on to season 3? do know it wouldnt have worked. Hes supposed to be in love and working with a team of people he considers family as well as his re-established connection with Jeannie, stupid offer imo

Tropicana

Council Member
Thanks for the review, I know it couldn't have been easy since you like SGU and love SGA.

I thought your usage of the phrase, "one step forward, two steps back" was particularly interesting and certainly do underline the show's 2 years of existence.

I'm very disappointed with the initial reviews of this ep, really thought that this ep would be something different, featuring more progressive flow, less emo baggage (i.e. useless filler) but alas, another disappointment.

tetrion

GateFans Noob
Thank you Brian.

I knew that McKay wouldn't be given the standard SGU treatment, and I was sure that many here expected the episode to shine because of him, were in for disappointment.
When it comes to SGU, I know that the writers and producers actively try to diminish the fan's love of the other two series by destroying the image of their show's idols. Remembering what they did to Jack, Sam and Daniel, I knew that McKay wouldn't be treated with respect. Woolsley, on the other hand can join SGU, as being a unlikeable, despotic, paper pushing bureaucrat, seems well suited as a SGU regular.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
This episode basically insulted SG-1 and SGA by not even mentioning or hardly mentioning past characters like Jonas. They did not even mention Atlantis and only SGU can put an energetic character like Mckay in the background.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Short, sweet and to the point! Thanks for this review Briangate78.

LINK to front site review HERE

Ok here is my full review...

Plot/Story

Ok we have a main and B story for this episode, one being about a mission to go to the Langaria to try and use their Stargate and resources to dial destiny, and they bring in Atlantis' Mckay to do the job. The other story was Rush and Amanda Perry being in some kind of dream world or Matrix.

Starting with the main story. It seemed they were all over the place with this. They had a mission that served no purpose, you had an angry Telford trying to force people to make it work, and in the end was just a big failure, sorta like the episode, imho. Mckay and Woosley were underused in the plot even they had decent air time. It was cool how they used the stones to trick the people on Langaria to switch bodies.

What really irked me was Telford trying to offer Mckay a job on Destiny, it felt like a slap in the SGA fans face that there will be no more Atlantis. That line almost made me turn off the TV set, but I prevailed and continued to watch.
Getting to the B Story. Well the sex scenes don't bother me too much, but I just think it was a filler story and then the whole end with Ginn and Perry being forever locked into Destiny where they cannot access, basically took last week's episode and made it pointless, imo. So one step forward, two steps back, imo. I felt the story should of been one main one.

I am looking at some of the votes for the Lucian Alliance question on Syfy. With the exception of Simeon and Kiva, the LA has been a weak enemy, and I think one of SGU's issues is not having a strong main enemy or nemesis.

Characterization/Character

I was looking forward to seeing Mckay, well SGU managed to throw out the 5 years of SGA where he developed. Also, when did Mckay ever become a pervert? He was always taking that nervous approach with woman like Carter, Katie, and Keller. He never tried to look down their shirt, and always had a respect for these three woman even if he did have a crush on them. No offense, Lt. James is pure eye candy and a sex symbol for this show, and it makes you wonder why SGU lacks a female audience.
Woolsey was not bad in this episode.

I liked Woolsey in SGA's 5th season because he tried to be more fair with a situation and review both viewpoints and sides. Young and Telford had a plan and he did not want to have anything to do with it, but he went along with it, only to find proof that the langarians were not siding with the Lucian Alliance.

As per the main characters, all of them annoyed me in this episode, and that is very hard to do.

Overall/Final Thought

I jumped into this episode with high expectations. I truly am one of the SGA fans who knew SGA was canceled by a creative decision, and the show was still performing, and was very vocal and passionate about the cancelation. It really dissapointed me that SGU has now made SGA, no pun intended, Extinct. If the franchise ends with SGU, I will be truly dissapointed. Even David Hewlett said in an interview that he thinks SGU's problem was that it did not take as much "Stargate influence" as it needed from the other two series. I am in total agreement, and that has been my arguement since day one.

Final Grade: C

*See, I warned ya, I was not holding back if this episode was not as good as I wanted it to be*

I havent seen this episode yet. Yep, I was occupied with a job and when I read the comments here I didnt even start the download. I will watch it tonight, but I see that I am going to be disappointed. Rush and his dead girlfriendd in a cyber tryst? Not exactly running to pop popcorn. :(

I have published this review in the front site reviews section and added a link to your review post. :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
This episode basically insulted SG-1 and SGA by not even mentioning or hardly mentioning past characters like Jonas. They did not even mention Atlantis and only SGU can put an energetic character like Mckay in the background.

Now now Brian, have you not remembered that Jonas never existed in the minds of the writers? I mean we haven't heard anything about the guy since SG1 S7. And I thought that they put just enough of McKay in the episode, though I have to admit that I'm really not a fan of the guy. Plus, since this is SGU and not SGA, it's only natural that McKay would take a backseat during the ep.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Now now Brian, have you not remembered that Jonas never existed in the minds of the writers? I mean we haven't heard anything about the guy since SG1 S7. And I thought that they put just enough of McKay in the episode, though I have to admit that I'm really not a fan of the guy. Plus, since this is SGU and not SGA, it's only natural that McKay would take a backseat during the ep.

Dude, it was the no mention of Atlantis and Telford offering him a job on Destiny. It just was a slap in the face that SGA is done.

stclare

There's back seat, then there is travelling in the car 2 miles behind!

If you as producers/actors etc are going to use mckay & woolsey being there to hype the ep then they should at least be in for a good portion of the ep (when i say in the ep, that doesnt mean staring at some chicks breast's)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They are determined to make it as though Atlantis never existed.

Dude, it was the no mention of Atlantis and Telford offering him a job on Destiny. It just was a slap in the face that SGA is done.

I noticed from the very first episode that a concerted effort was made to eliminate all references to Atlantis. They acted as though things jumped directly from SG-1 to SGU, trying to solidly tie it into SG-1's canon and failed miserably IMO. Still havent seen the episode, but how can they manage to have McKay on an Ancient chip and not mention Atlantis at all? This I gotta see.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Woolsey came across particularly well and made me wonder why they hadn't included him in the show before. Mckay was as fun as he always was. It was odd that Mckay never mentioned Jonas (he worked with him after all) but that guy has been ignored on SG1 and Atlantis for a long time. It was cool to see Telford offer Mckay a position on Destiny - after all he's exactly the kind of person they need. It's not like he can stay on Atlantis forever, Carter moved on from SG1 when offered a more important position when she was needed more.

I would add that the episode wasn't a slap in the face to Atlantis fans, of which I am one. I wasn't looking to this episode to play up Atlantis and it's cast, just for it to feature two of the characters, which it did pretty well. Sheppard even got a mention which was nice. In my opinion the music from Atlantis that played as Mckay entered the room was a much more dignified nod to the show than a running down a checklist of things to mention, just so everyone is content.

So yeh an enjoyable episode featuring elements from all the shows.

S

Stonelesscutter

Review of the review...

They had a mission that served no purpose, you had an angry Telford trying to force people to make it work, and in the end was just a big failure, sorta like the episode, imho.

Mission that had no purpose??? So attempting to secure a position where new staff and supplies can be brought aboard Destiny at any given time is not a mission you say. Interesting. As for Telford strutting his stuff, he’s been about getting influence on Destiny from the beginning. He would have been the commanding officer aboard if it hadn’t been for the ‘accident’ with which the show started. Also he was under control from the Lucian Alliance for a while and did some bad things so it’s only natural that he’s trying to redeem himself and assert his position as an influential person where Destiny is concerned.

Mckay and Woosley were underused in the plot even they had decent air time.

What did you expect? McKay storming in to save the day? Woolsey and McKay were used just right for their characters. You can’t expect the whole episode to revolve around them just because they are in it.

It was cool how they used the stones to trick the people on Langaria to switch bodies.

Yep, that was cool. I can’t believe I just agreed to that being stone-less-cutter and all.

Get over yourself. You’re seeing things that aren’t there. It’s understandable that people would love to have McKay aboard on such a mission so it makes sense that they would ask him. Also there was no response from McKay as to wether he would want to. All he did was walk away. In no way is there any connection to Atlantis here, neither positive nor negative. Perhaps you should have turned off your TV set like you said. Then you probably wouldn’t have written this review.

Getting to the B Story. Well the sex scenes don't bother me too much, but I just think it was a filler story and then the whole end with Ginn and Perry being forever locked into Destiny where they cannot access, basically took last week's episode and made it pointless, imo.

It’s a continuation of a plotline leading it to an ending or at the least a temporary discontinuation. It’s not really a weird thing. It doesn’t make the previous episode pointless. If you’d think that way, every damn episode of every show would be pointless. You’d just have to watch the final episode of a series. Heck why don’t we stop watching tv all together. It’s all pointless anyway.

Perhaps you are right. But votes for the Lucian Alliance on SyFy don’t really have anything to do with the review of an episode. And neither does your comment on wether the show should have a strong enemy. It comes from your personal opinion on SGU as a show in general and should therefore be avoided in an article where the aim is to objectively provide commentary on a specific episode.

I was looking forward to seeing Mckay, well SGU managed to throw out the 5 years of SGA where he developed. Also, when did Mckay ever become a pervert?

Judging from that last comment I’d say you’ve never watched SG1. Because there is where McKay first appeared. And he certainly came across as an obnoxious and horny and perhaps even perverted little SOB.

He was always taking that nervous approach with woman like Carter, Katie, and Keller. He never tried to look down their shirt, and always had a respect for these three woman even if he did have a crush on them.

Your commentary has “I’m a serious SGA-fan” written all over it, so I’m going to assume you can remember the episode where McKay is stuck in a sinking jumper and daydreams about Carter in her underwear. If you had seen SG1 you would have known that he didn’t have as much respect for her in the beginning as he has now. But I can’t hold you against that. Besides that, if you would be transported into someone else’s body and found yourself sitting in a chair with lt. James’ boobs right in front of you, you couldn’t help looking at them either. If a guy can’t even accidentally look at a women’s titties anymore without being called a pervert then what has the world come to.

Where’s the reasoning behind this? Did Greer and Eli and Chloe and Scott annoy you as well or are you just extending your disliking of Young and Telford in this episode towards the rest of the characters?

I jumped into this episode with high expectations.

Big mistake. You could have been more careful after having already seen 34 episodes which you didn’t really like that much.

I truly am one of the SGA fans who knew SGA was canceled by a creative decision, and the show was still performing, and was very vocal and passionate about the cancelation. It really dissapointed me that SGU has now made SGA, no pun intended, Extinct.

This episode has nothing to do with SGA being extinct, if even you can say SGA is extinct at all. That show was cancelled years ago, not because of this episode of SGU. It’s still possible that SGA will at some time in the future be picked up again so you can’t really say it is extinct.

If the franchise ends with SGU, I will be truly dissapointed. Even David Hewlett said in an interview that he thinks SGU's problem was that it did not take as much "Stargate influence" as it needed from the other two series. I am in total agreement, and that has been my arguement since day one.

[FONT=&quot]Again you give your personal opinion about the show in general and fail to stick to the topic of this particular episode. You even quote an outside source of someone stating their personal opinion of the show in general. Then you add a comment about how you have felt it since day one making it obvious that you have always had a negative opinion on the show and by extension are not fit to objectively pass judgement on a particular episode for the sake of a review.[/FONT]

stclare

Mission that had no purpose??? So attempting to secure a position where new staff and supplies can be brought aboard Destiny at any given time is not a mission you say. Interesting. As for Telford strutting his stuff, he’s been about getting influence on Destiny from the beginning. He would have been the commanding officer aboard if it hadn’t been for the ‘accident’ with which the show started. Also he was under control from the Lucian Alliance for a while and did some bad things so it’s only natural that he’s trying to redeem himself and assert his position as an influential person where Destiny is concerned.

What did you expect? McKay storming in to save the day? Woolsey and McKay were used just right for their characters. You can’t expect the whole episode to revolve around them just because they are in it.

Yep, that was cool. I can’t believe I just agreed to that being stone-less-cutter and all.

Get over yourself. You’re seeing things that aren’t there. It’s understandable that people would love to have McKay aboard on such a mission so it makes sense that they would ask him. Also there was no response from McKay as to wether he would want to. All he did was walk away. In no way is there any connection to Atlantis here, neither positive nor negative. Perhaps you should have turned off your TV set like you said. Then you probably wouldn’t have written this review.

It’s a continuation of a plotline leading it to an ending or at the least a temporary discontinuation. It’s not really a weird thing. It doesn’t make the previous episode pointless. If you’d think that way, every damn episode of every show would be pointless. You’d just have to watch the final episode of a series. Heck why don’t we stop watching tv all together. It’s all pointless anyway.

Perhaps you are right. But votes for the Lucian Alliance on SyFy don’t really have anything to do with the review of an episode. And neither does your comment on wether the show should have a strong enemy. It comes from your personal opinion on SGU as a show in general and should therefore be avoided in an article where the aim is to objectively provide commentary on a specific episode.

Judging from that last comment I’d say you’ve never watched SG1. Because there is where McKay first appeared. And he certainly came across as an obnoxious and horny and perhaps even perverted little SOB.

Your commentary has “I’m a serious SGA-fan” written all over it, so I’m going to assume you can remember the episode where McKay is stuck in a sinking jumper and daydreams about Carter in her underwear. If you had seen SG1 you would have known that he didn’t have as much respect for her in the beginning as he has now. But I can’t hold you against that. Besides that, if you would be transported into someone else’s body and found yourself sitting in a chair with lt. James’ boobs right in front of you, you couldn’t help looking at them either. If a guy can’t even accidentally look at a women’s titties anymore without being called a pervert then what has the world come to.

Where’s the reasoning behind this? Did Greer and Eli and Chloe and Scott annoy you as well or are you just extending your disliking of Young and Telford in this episode towards the rest of the characters?

Big mistake. You could have been more careful after having already seen 34 episodes which you didn’t really like that much.

This episode has nothing to do with SGA being extinct, if even you can say SGA is extinct at all. That show was cancelled years ago, not because of this episode of SGU. It’s still possible that SGA will at some time in the future be picked up again so you can’t really say it is extinct.

[FONT=&quot]Again you give your personal opinion about the show in general and fail to stick to the topic of this particular episode. You even quote an outside source of someone stating their personal opinion of the show in general. Then you add a comment about how you have felt it since day one making it obvious that you have always had a negative opinion on the show and by extension are not fit to objectively pass judgement on a particular episode for the sake of a review.[/FONT]

In SG1 he was a bit cocky sure but pervy? not imo. as to sam carter and the underwear. that was whilst suffering delusions due to a head injury. You show me in the last year say of atlantis where Mckay stares at someones boobs out of the blue or propositions them in a pervy way? Hes supposedly in a relashionship remember and i never saw him oggling Jennifer, unsure of himself yes :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
[...]Judging from that last comment I’d say you’ve never watched SG1. Because there is where McKay first appeared. And he certainly came across as an obnoxious and horny and perhaps even perverted little SOB.
[...]
Your commentary has “I’m a serious SGA-fan” written all over it, so I’m going to assume you can remember the episode where McKay is stuck in a sinking jumper and daydreams about Carter in her underwear. If you had seen SG1 you would have known that he didn’t have as much respect for her in the beginning as he has now.

You're equating what he imagined in his head with what he did to Lt. Cannons McBoobs.

It's true he was more condescending and obnoxious in SG1 but, even then, he never stared down Carter's, or anyone's, shirt like a horny school boy. But you do have to admit that going through an experience such as his on Atlantis, isolated from Earth and everything he's known, would have changed him as he learned true camaraderie, depending on those around you and a new found respect for others around him in a whole new light, including women. Even his own sister had remarked how much he's changed. So, reverting him back to "1st appearance on SG1 Mckay" to contrive a laugh was really a slap in the face.

But I can’t hold you against that. Besides that, if you would be transported into someone else’s body and found yourself sitting in a chair with lt. James’ boobs right in front of you, you couldn’t help looking at them either. If a guy can’t even accidentally look at a women’s titties anymore without being called a pervert then what has the world come to.[...]
Lt. Chesty McBlimptits inferred he was a pervert two episodes ago because he stared at her military assets before. :icon_lol:

stclare

You're equating what he imagined in his head with what he did to Lt. Cannons McBoobs.

It's true he was more condescending and obnoxious in SG1 but, even then, he never stared down Carter's, or anyone's, shirt like a horny school boy. But you do have to admit that going through an experience such as his on Atlantis, isolated from Earth and everything he's known, would have changed him as he learned true camaraderie, depending on those around you and a new found respect for others around him in a whole new light, including women. Even his own sister had remarked how much he's changed. So, reverting him back to "1st appearance on SG1 Mckay" to contrive a laugh was really a slap in the face.

Lt. Chesty McBlimptits inferred he was a pervert two episodes ago because he stared at her military assets before. :icon_lol:

yes see thats what i said :p

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
The breasts were right in front of him - and they were massive. I don't think that makes him a pervert.

Why did they include that scene - I don't know. It was amusing if odd given his current status but it didn't ruin the episode for me. There was a lot to enjoy here, not least 3 brilliant guest stars.

'Seizure' wasn't an exercise in playing up or bringing down Atlantis. There's no need to overreact to a small scene and a few lacking references one might have liked. If we went back and nitpicked some of the older Stargate this much I fear we'd ruin the enjoyment of the entire franchise.

S

Stonelesscutter

The breasts were right in front of him - and they were massive. I don't think that makes him a pervert.

Why did they include that scene - I don't know. It was amusing if odd given his current status but it didn't ruin the episode for me. There was a lot to enjoy here, not least 3 brilliant guest stars.

'Seizure' wasn't an exercise in playing up or bringing down Atlantis. There's no need to overreact to a small scene and a few lacking references one might have liked. If we went back and nitpicked some of the older Stargate this much I fear we'd ruin the enjoyment of the entire franchise.

I totally agree with your comment. I'd like to add that if lt. James (notice how I don't call her McBoobs) doesn't like it when people (especially McKay) stares at her breasts she shouldn't go stand right in front of him with her boobies at his eye level. By the way I think many women like it when men look at their breasts, it makes them feel attractive, it's why God has invented cleavage.

S

Stonelesscutter

Hey Stoneless can your reply contain anymore sarcasm and rudeness? Wow.

You're right. I'm sorry.
Apparently I'm having my manly period at the moment.
But your review isn't exactly nice towards SGU either.
Still I think I made some points here and haven't received a real reply on that.
I don't feel I was rude by the way.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Swing ... and a miss. She inferred he was a pervert while speaking with Johansen in Twin Densities, thereby establishing him as a creepy pervert prior to this episode.

You completely missed the point but that's ok.

output.gif