Episode Review: Ep 215 "Seizure"

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Nah, I don't mind it from People I know. that's cool, I hate it in RL when people call me that when they don't know me. But once I get to know somebody I don't have a problem with it.

I think it's only fair that you call gatefan dear too. lol

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think it's only fair that you call gatefan dear too. lol

o-rlyeh.jpg

arwedda-ur_sanity.jpg

S

Stonelesscutter

I don't see why everybody seems to think this ep is bad.
I didn't get a bad feeling about it.

G

Graybrew1

IMHO, the reason why I did not care for the last ep. Mckay and Woolsey were underused. Woolsey and SG in general would never have done something like that to their allys. Talk about destroying trust! They made both Amanda and Ginn go away after bringing them "back" for one ep. So in the end, the whole ep was just filler. And not good filler.

S

Stonelesscutter

IMHO, the reason why I did not care for the last ep. Mckay and Woolsey were underused. Woolsey and SG in general would never have done something like that to their allys. Talk about destroying trust! They made both Amanda and Ginn go away after bringing them "back" for one ep. So in the end, the whole ep was just filler. And not good filler.

Sure, McKay would not do such things.
But he blew up an entire solar system because he 'knew' he was right and the ancients were a bunch of morons.
Also, who said the Langarans (or whatever they're called) are allies.
It's more likely they were candidates to be allies but in actuality they were not because otherwise they would have been more open to discuss the situation instead of refusing to do so.
Woolsey is the type of guy that just follows the rules, but the rules usually state you have to follow orders.
In this case he was following orders he wasn't entirely happy about, that doesn't mean he was acting un-woolsey-like.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

I don't think it was "bad" per se Stoneless, I think it was a absolute wasted oppertunity however. Woolsey and Rod might as well have been Anyone at the SGC and it would have made Zero difference to the ep at all and the Rush story could have been about something besides his relationship with Perry, like something important to the mission or the ship itself. He has been after the Chair since it was discovered, used it when there was a "spare Rush" in twin Destinies and NOW he has the chance to actually use it, he's having digi-shags with Perry??. I doubt he will ever get that oppertunity again as it seemingly almost killed him and for what??

Did the ep have "massive plotholes", Nope. Did it not "make sense", Nope. It's not really so much about "what it was", but more "what it wasn't"

G

Graybrew1

But he blew up an entire solar system because he 'knew' he was right and the ancients were a bunch of morons.
It's more likely they were candidates to be allies but in actuality they were not because otherwise they would have been more open to discuss the situation instead of refusing to do so.
Woolsey is the type of guy that just follows the rules, but the rules usually state you have to follow orders.
In this case he was following orders he wasn't entirely happy about, that doesn't mean he was acting un-woolsey-like.

I disagree Woolsey would never had agreed to that. And since the ep did not show us how they convinced anybody into, I have to assume they talked him into it. No calls from President like you used to get back in SG1. I would think that before we try to seize another planets stargate , we would have consulted him and gotten an okay from him. True Ally or potential Ally, it was not an intelligent thing to do. And usually the SG shows are always done with intelligence. And lastly ,they failed. The whole attempt was pointless. Just like bringing back Ginn and Amanda only to take them away again. Pointless. Watching Rush and Amanda was amusing for about 5 minutes and then it was like, get me back to the other storyline going on now please. So, that is why IMO it was a bad ep. Not quite as bad as the Hope ep before it, which I hated because they overstepped with too many convienent things happening at once to make it even slightly believable.

S

Stonelesscutter

I don't think it was "bad" per se Stoneless, I think it was a absolute wasted oppertunity however. Woolsey and Rod might as well have been Anyone at the SGC and it would have made Zero difference to the ep at all and the Rush story could have been about something besides his relationship with Perry, like something important to the mission or the ship itself. He has been after the Chair since it was discovered, used it when there was a "spare Rush" in twin Destinies and NOW he has the chance to actually use it, he's having digi-shags with Perry??. I doubt he will ever get that oppertunity again as it seemingly almost killed him and for what??

Did the ep have "massive plotholes", Nope. Did it not "make sense", Nope. It's not really so much about "what it was", but more "what it wasn't"

So anyone at the SGC could have done the science that would make dialling the ninth chevron safe from blowing up the planet.
Sounds more like a McKay thing to me than a dr. Lee thing. Even if it is McKay claiming he can do that safely I would have my doubts, even if he (or perhaps Carter) is the best scientist in SG history.
What would you imagine the Rush story having been about besides his 'relationship' with Perry?
Did you ever stand still after SG1 or SGA episodes and wondered "gee, it was like this, but it could have been like THIS"?
I think SGU is being treated unfairly in this regard.
People are continuously busy judging it on every aspect it has because they are somehow still pissed about one thing or another.
I ask you. Do you do the same thing with every show you watch?

G

Graybrew1

So anyone at the SGC could have done the science that would make dialling the ninth chevron safe from blowing up the planet.
Sounds more like a McKay thing to me than a dr. Lee thing. Even if it is McKay claiming he can do that safely I would have my doubts, even if he (or perhaps Carter) is the best scientist in SG history.
What would you imagine the Rush story having been about besides his 'relationship' with Perry?
Did you ever stand still after SG1 or SGA episodes and wondered "gee, it was like this, but it could have been like THIS"?

I am one of the ones that has defended the show through thousands of posts over at Syfy up until Hope. I had been very willing to accept and support the show regardless of it's problems. I have no rose colored glasses on, and I am not saying you do, I have stated several times It was only my opinion. I have seen the good and the bad all along with SGU. I signed the petition to save it back in December. But I do have a right to disagree about the last two eps. I was very pleased with Twin Destinies and that is also what made Hope and Seizure upsetting.

S

Stonelesscutter

I am one of the ones that has defended the show through thousands of posts over at Syfy up until Hope. I had been very willing to accept and support the show regardless of it's problems. I have no rose colored glasses on, and I am not saying you do, I have stated several times It was only my opinion. I have seen the good and the bad all along with SGU. I signed the petition to save it back in December. But I do have a right to disagree about the last two eps. I was very pleased with Twin Destinies and that is also what made Hope and Seizure upsetting.

That's all alright.
But that still doesn't make me understand why people are so upset about the last few episodes, especially this one.
There have been FAR WORSE episodes up till now.
I'm not saying this episode was the best one, coz it sure isn't.
But it certainly wasn't that bad.
By the way, I also signed the petition to save SGU.
But I also started a petition to keep it cancelled. :P
Right now though, I'd rather keep SGU going for a third season, but that just isn't in the cards anymore.

G

Graybrew1

That's all alright.
But that still doesn't make me understand why people are so upset about the last few episodes, especially this one.
There have been FAR WORSE episodes up till now.
I'm not saying this episode was the best one, coz it sure isn't.
But it certainly wasn't that bad.
By the way, I also signed the petition to save SGU.
But I also started a petition to keep it cancelled. :P
Right now though, I'd rather keep SGU going for a third season, but that just isn't in the cards anymore.

Good question, I don't know why these two eps bother me more than that stupid one with the mutiny or the one with the ridiculous dream. But I do think for me it was because Twin Destinies was so good right before it, like they were on an upward spiral and then came crashing back down with these two. Hopefully, I am wrong and it was just a couple of bad eps in a row and the rest will go back up.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, because no matter who did it, it still had to be "approved" by Eli.
It is made quite clear that the problem is math related, not science related. If it was science related Eli would have no hope in hell of being able to solve it. I don't care how smart or gifted you are, you need a solid foundation in related knowledge in order to apply it in any meaningful way.
The mission, the Destiny itself, how it can store multiple conciousnesses, a visual representation of the "message", I don't know, something more "meaty" or "sciencey" than it was, thats all.
Yes, I have, but as I have said before, I expect much more from SGU than I ever did from SGA/SG1, simply because it is meant to be more "highbrow" than SG1/SGA.
I think SGU is being treated unfairly in this regard.
Not really, SGU just happens to be the topic at hand. SG1 and SGA have both been torn apart before on GW. If you want, start a rewatch/critique thread about SG1 or SGA and I'll happily join in and apply the same microscope if you wish.
People are continuously busy judging it on every aspect it has because they are somehow still pissed about one thing or another.

What am I pissed about dude?

Do I do the same thing to every show I watch, yep. Do I post it online, not really as this is the first time I've ever gotten actively involved in the online aspect of fandom.

G

Graybrew1

Do I do the same thing to every show I watch, yep. Do I post it online, not really as this is the first time I've ever gotten actively involved in the online aspect of fandom.

Me too.

Although I will say that while I did join Syfy first due the cancellation of SGU, I was not just about that. It was about the loss of several shows. ST Enterprise, SG1,BSG,SGA,Carprica, and then SGU. I really joined because of the feeling of the loss of SciFi in general. SGU was our last ST,SG, or BSG show around. Fans are getting closer to seeing that end and some, like me , are probably getting alittle bitter over it.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Me too.

Although I will say that while I did join Syfy first due the cancellation of SGU, I was not just about that. It was about the loss of several shows. ST Enterprise, SG1,BSG,SGA,Carprica, and then SGU. I really joined because of the feeling of the loss of SciFi in general. SGU was our last ST,SG, or BSG show around. Fans are getting closer to seeing that end and some, like me , are probably getting alittle bitter over it.
If I understood him correctly, I think that is what is frustrating Squall/Briangate as well.

G

Graybrew1

If I understood him correctly, I think that is what is frustrating Squall/Briangate as well.

Alot of the now not so new newbies over at syfy seem to too. It is fair scary to look at that,than just this loss.

tetrion

GateFans Noob
I can't say for others, but for me it's how the writers insult the fans of the franchise, in each and every episode. Again, there's not much sci-fi around, and even less in Oz, where our tv networks treat us sci-fi fans with utter contempt (as they pander to the 'jocks'). I too was annoyed with the whole Eli vs McKay thing in this ep, and combined with Chloe piloting the ship, just reminds me of the whole 'Wesley Crusher -flying ship' thing. The rest was Rush getting some tail with number 6 -oops- Quadriplegic-but-now-able-bodied-nymphomaniac-Perry, and SGU screwing over Langaria. I know we're supposed to suspend disbelief watching this show, not turn off our brains all together, as they're not even trying to be remotely believable or logical.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Lets be real here Tetrion, Scifi Oz has a better lineup than Syfy. :)
I'll defend Syfy for canning Caprica and SGU due to lack of interest sure,and I'll even defend them for having Smackdown and reality shows because they make money for them, But THPH, I'm still dissapointed in them to some extent for doing it (even if I get the WHY behind it)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Stoneless, you're my buddy but I have to respond. :icon_lol:

He didn't knowingly deceive anyone in that ep. It was an accident. Not the same thing.

They didn't refuse anything. They were pretty clear that they, at the negotiating table, were unqualified to evaluate the solution and would rather have their own scientists look at the data. Whether they are allies or not isn't even material. SGC has never imposed their will on any world they've visited and I can't imagine them doing such a thing for a few of society's rejects stuck on a garbage scow a billion light years from home that aren't even in any immediate danger. :)

Remember, they have full control of the Density now. They can stop at planets, restock on food, enjoy the scenery and fresh air and even recharge their iPhones. Hardly a dire situation requiring immediate assistance in the form of supplies at the risk (no matter how minute) of destroying the circa 1940's era world of a quasi ally.

See, that's where theycompletely diverge from everything they've established about the SGC and Homeworld Command and start to become a little more like the Loser Alliance. I cannot fathom how these orders could even have been given. The writers had to contrive some bullshit storyline to create that filler episode and throw in a little nostalgia in the form of McKay and Woolsey to raise the numbers.

I agree that SGU has had a couple decent episodes lately but "Seizure" was not one of them. It had enormous potential and they pissed it away with stupid story writing.

S

Stonelesscutter

That's alright buddy, you can respond as much as you like with as much vigor as you want. ;)
I still feel that 'we' are/have been scrutinizing every aspect of SGU a little too much.
There has never been a show in tv history that would be able to remain standing after being dissected the way we do with SGU.
TV shows are pretty much inherently unreal, which is probably why we like watching them.
I've noticed that if I don't continuously judge SGU, but just watch it, I find it much more enjoyable.

By the way, I love the term Loser Alliance.
Think I'm gonna adopt that one. :)