Earth In a 1000 Years

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Im using extrapolation. Lets just pick any ONE species of termite, and use that species and cut out the rest (for this example). One termite mound requires the movement of AT LEAST one ounce of earth to create. Multiply that by a very conservative 1 million mounds per year (31.25 tons), for 150 million years and that is 4,687,500,000 tons of earth by just one species. I specified "termites" as a group, including all the species there are, to illustrate how Man's impact on the environment is miniscule by comparison. If we include all termite species, the numbers increase exponentially to a degree that Man's influence is miniscule. We need to also include earthworms, ants and other digging insect species in this. My point is that Man is not special or particularly unique in his behaviors or accomplishments. Much of the technology we have is pointless, or inefficient.

You are wanting to restrict this to termites alone and only one species? Even the scientific classification of "species" is inefficient. A brown termite which is the same as a white termite which is the same as a red termite or a green termite except for the color does not make it something other than a termite, nor does it necessarily make it a separate species. Its why "africanized honey bees" exist (crossbreeding). Separate species should not be able to create fertile offspring. Like in physics, many entomologists seek distinction by identifying a "new species" they can name after themselves and claim the coveted "discoverer" status. My point is that "termites" (all varieties of them) have moved more earth than Man in his existence. Earthworms have moved even more! :)

I wasnt making a comparison between just Man and termites, I was making the point that insects are more evolved than Man, and that they have moved more earth than Man, and impact the environment more than Man which makes the idea of Manmade Global Warming a ridiculous concept. Im making the point that Man is not special, he isnt the Lord of the Earth, and he is neither the most evolved creature on earth or even the most intelligent. He is Man...that's it.

The second half of the second paragraph is me emphasizing the fact that Man is not special and there is nothing particularly intelligent about thinking Man is the most advanced creature ever to exist and that we can "save the planet" (or destroy it). The Global Warming pundits have been caught fudging numbers and exaggerating to support the notion.
Just in the Americas, they produce about 25 million barrels of oil per day in 2012 (http://www.eia.gov/countries/americas/). Dimensional analysis:

(25,000,000 barrels/day) x (365 days/yr) x (42 gallons/barrel) x (density of crude oil: 7.094 lb/gallon) x (4.5x(10^-4) metric ton/lb) = 1,223,448,975 tons/yr

That's 1/4 of the the amount of 'earth' done by that estimation you did. That whole calculation I did was for just one year in just the Americas of just oil produced, not even consumed. Not even considering amount of wood, concrete, a whole slew of other things moved. Your calculation for all the species of termite wouldn't exponentially increase. It'd be linear. You just make a maximized calculation by taking the amount one species and applying that to all of them, so just multiply by 2000. You're overestimating termites and underestimating man.

More evolved doesn't really mean anything until you put down parameters for what you mean by more evolved.

B

Backstep

About 4 in 10 say they are not too confident or outright disbelieve that the earth is warming, mostly a result of man-made heat-trapping gases, that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old or that life on Earth evolved through a process of natural selection, though most were at least somewhat confident in each of those concepts. But a narrow majority — 51 percent — questions the Big Bang theory.

Those results depress and upset some of America's top scientists, including several Nobel Prize winners, who vouched for the science in the statements tested, calling them settled scientific facts.

"Science ignorance is pervasive in our society, and these attitudes are reinforced when some of our leaders are openly antagonistic to established facts," said 2013 Nobel Prize in medicine winner Randy Schekman of the University of California, Berkeley.

The poll highlights "the iron triangle of science, religion and politics," said Anthony Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/21/big-bang-poll-american-doubt_n_5184931.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just in the Americas, they produce about 2million barrels of oil per day in 2012 (http://www.eia.gov/countries/americas/). Dimensional analysis:

(25,000,000 barrels/day) x (365 days/yr) x (42 gallons/barrel) x (density of crude oil: 7.094 lb/gallon) x (4.5x(10^-4) metric ton/lb) = 1,223,448,975 tons/yr

That's 1/4 of the the amount of 'earth' done by that estimation you did. That whole calculation I did was for just one year in just the Americas of just oil produced, not even consumed. Not even considering amount of wood, concrete, a whole slew of other things moved. Your calculation for all the species of termite wouldn't exponentially increase. It'd be linear. You just make a maximized calculation by taking the amount one species and applying that to all of them, so just multiply by 2000. You're overestimating termites and underestimating man.

More evolved doesn't really mean anything until you put down parameters for what you mean by more evolved.

Extracting oil is not the same as moving earth. :) No oil is "produced", just extracted. All the oil that will ever be "produced" is already present. The numbers I used were very conservative and very crude. I was making the point that Man's influence on the environment is not as impactful as global warming pundits would have us believe.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was making the point that Man's influence on the environment is not as impactful as global warming pundits would have us believe.

Yes, until we finish the great Earth Booster, a giant rocket booster that will replace the continent of Australia (sorry GF, but you happen to live at the "bottom" of the planet where a rocket would naturally be placed). Once we turn that baby on, we're going to drive this planet around the solar system, probably crashing into Jupiter. That will be the end of this planet and man will have triumphed one last time proving that there is a fine line between thoughtless experiments by geniuses who don't consider the consequences and stupidity.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That's ok Bluce, We know the rest of the world just isn't hardcore enough. After all you can't run a planet moving rocket on food stamps.....

Bluce Ree

That's ok Bluce, We know the rest of the world just isn't hardcore enough. After all you can't run a planet moving rocket on food stamps.....

We use food stamps because we're putting all our money into the great Earth Rocket project while you guys keep going about your lives blissfully ignorant to what's really happening, thinking you've got it all together until, one day, we ignite the rocket we secretly built under Australia ...

034.jpg

... and the thrust blows the lot of you into space like fleas off a giant ass unleashing a big, post-burrito dinner fart. Thus, we commence our ill-advised cosmic journey.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Just use the Yellowstone caldera.
Typical Yank, why use the existing channel when you can go to someone else's country and wreck it, AND turn a profit..........

Bluce Ree

Just use the Yellowstone caldera.
Typical Yank, why use the existing channel when you can go to someone else's country and wreck it, AND turn a profit..........

You, sir, have finally understood the american way. 'Murica!!! F'k yeah!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This will sound weird but I'm far more optimistic nowadays since discovering that the radiation from the nukes that were tested in the Bikini atoll has dissipated greatly in recent years. To me this says that the earth can, and does, "heal" more quickly than we realize.

I'm against pollution but I'm also confident that the earth can and will spring back from being "injured" by us.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/12/bikini_atoll_radiologically_safer_than_home/

Of course there are two "sides" out there on the issue, but have you ever seen film of how the Chernobyl area and its wildlife and forests have sprung back to life?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Of course there are two "sides" out there on the issue, but have you ever seen film of how the Chernobyl area and its wildlife and forests have sprung back to life?

No, but I did see this really, really bad horror movie in which everyone dies. It's crap like this that reminds me why I don't watch horror movies.

19179.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yes. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Extracting oil is not the same as moving earth. :) No oil is "produced", just extracted. All the oil that will ever be "produced" is already present. The numbers I used were very conservative and very crude. I was making the point that Man's influence on the environment is not as impactful as global warming pundits would have us believe.
Production was used in the context of economics, as in made for consumption, but methinks you already knew that. They moved stuff from the Earth, or as you say extracted. No difference. Mine was also a crude calculation but of a minute fraction of just one year of our activities on Earth. Still far outweighs what termites have done. Hope you guys watched the latest episode of Cosmos, they're are some obvious relevant parallels.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
This is one area I differ sharply from the Left. I do believe in climate change, global warming and global cooling (Ice Ages) because several of each are recorded in the rock strata and in ice cores. Unless each epoch has included global industrialization and automobiles, I doubt Man is the reason for any of these climactic cycles or hastening any of them. The science (mostly) fails the global warning screechers. They use fudged, unrealistic models projected way into the future and have incomplete variables. If it were perfected, why cant the NOAA still not make weather predictions past 7 days with any accuracy? But they can tell us that our cars and perhaps even our barbecues are contributing to "global warming"?

Please. :)

I dont care what people think when I tell them to shove global warming. :)

I think farting killed the dinosaurs. if methane from cow flatulance needs to be studied to determine how it impacts the climate, can you imagine how much methane the dinosaurs expelled???? :cool:

as to the climate change peeps- well the original climate change scientist was having a fit about the "coming ice age" in 1970's. also much of the data has not been reproducible- sound science is always reproducible.

timecxomingiceage_zpse002bdbe.png

I love the series "life after people"... it has an excellent ep on the recovery of cherynobl and the surrounding area. ;)

Last edited: