Dean Devlin talks gate

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
EVERYONE whom I have heard say what you said has started Stargate with one of the TV series, then watched the movie AFTER that. For me, the movie was first and then SG-1 was next. I frankly didnt like the way they did it at first, but it grew on me. But my original interest in Stargate was sparked by the movie. Did you see one of the series first, then the movie?

Yep, I didn't watch the movie until after season 6 or 7 of SG1. I got addicted to SG1 when it was on showtime. :)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I did not have Showtime when SG1's first 5 seasons aired. I must have seen the original Stargate movie at least a half dozen times before I first saw an episode of SG1. I remember asking myself "why are there snakes in this?". ;)

The characters in SG1 do grow on you though. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I did not have Showtime when SG1's first 5 seasons aired. I must have seen the original Stargate movie at least a half dozen times before I first saw an episode of SG1. I remember asking myself "why are there snakes in this?". ;)

The characters in SG1 do grow on you though. :)

I remember seeing ads for the Orginal movie and thinking "someone's been reading von Daniken again!" The idea seemed a rehash of the "ancient aliens visited earth" craze of the 70's. same ol' same ol'. :rolleyes: so never got the movie nor watched it until it was in the bargain bin about 4 years ago.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Saw the movie in the theater when it came out in 94. Didn't see the show until it made it to SciFi (SyFy) and was in heavy rerun rotation along with new episodes on Friday night. It took awhile to get into the show.

SciphonicStranger

OK, since we are assuming that Devlin throws out all TV canon - this means Sha're and Skaara are still alive for the sequels?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Saw the movie in the theater when it came out in 94. Didn't see the show until it made it to SciFi (SyFy) and was in heavy rerun rotation along with new episodes on Friday night. It took awhile to get into the show.

DITTO. But I did eagerly await the show when it was on Showtime. I followed it to the Scifi Channel and then to Atlantis, and you already know where I was at with SGU. :biggrin:.

OK, since we are assuming that Devlin throws out all TV canon - this means Sha're and Skaara are still alive for the sequels?

Possible...Daniel is still supposed to be on Abydos with Sha're according to movie canon. SG-1 brought him home, but in the movie, he is still there.

SciphonicStranger

Possible...Daniel is still supposed to be on Abydos with Sha're according to movie canon. SG-1 brought him home, but in the movie, he is still there.

This is an example of where things get problematic. I think I read where Devlin said that the sequels could coexist with the stuff they did on TV, yet they can't do a sequel without at least having some sort of movie explanation to resolve the Sha're/Daniel relationship. Yeah, they could just throw out everything that was done on the TV show, but it would be awkward for SG1 fans to digest stuff like this. :rolleyes:

Tropicana

Council Member
This is an example of where things get problematic. I think I read where Devlin said that the sequels could coexist with the stuff they did on TV, yet they can't do a sequel without at least having some sort of movie explanation to resolve the Sha're/Daniel relationship. Yeah, they could just throw out everything that was done on the TV show, but it would be awkward for SG1 fans to digest stuff like this. :rolleyes:
I wonder can it be indicated that the sequels were based in an alternate universe? Like SGU is an alternate universe to SG-1/SGA and the latter can be an alternate universe to Devlin's Stargate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I read the exact opposite. Devlin and Emmerich both said they hated the TV version of Stargate. They hated SG-1 so much that they refused to allow a credit saying "Based on Stargate by Devlin and Emmerich", and they also refused to act as consultants. It is HIGHLY unlikely that any of Brad Wright's canon will be used or even acknowledged in any sequels. The comments from Devlin in 2009 indicated that these sequels would start where the movie left off, and would disregard anything established by SG-1 or Atlantis. And THAT is the dilemma. Arguably, there are more fans of the series than there are of the movie, but the creators of Stargate do not count any of the Brad Wright canon as a continuation of their story.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i dont get why so many of you have this sick need to link the epic ORIGINAL STORY to the crappy TV series.

of course the crappy TV series would be disregarded and i dont really see the why you people have the sick need to tie it into the possible movie sequels by alternate universe blabla etc etc

get over it people the TV series SUCKED!

Stargate should be on the BIG screen it is were it belongs.

Tropicana

Council Member
i dont get why so many of you have this sick need to link the epic ORIGINAL STORY to the crappy TV series.

of course the crappy TV series would be disregarded and i dont really see the why you people have the sick need to tie it into the possible movie sequels by alternate universe blabla etc etc

get over it people the TV series SUCKED!

Stargate should be on the BIG screen it is were it belongs.
It's not a "sick need", it's about satisfying all the various fans' stances that likes all kinds of Stargate, without the need to alienate them - do you really want to go through SGU's drama all over again? I sure don't.

If Devlin hates the TV versions, okay then, no big deal. If someone don't like the TV series, again, no big deal.

Devlin's Stargate can be based on another time, another universe and he can do his own thing, he can have leprechauns jumping across the big screen.

In SG-1/SGA universe, we can have good paced action-adventure and in SGU's Stargate universe, life is one big depression. All 3 different type of universe linked to "Stargate".

So it means, everybody who likes Stargate can do their own thing, without alienating everybody. Unless you are prepared to wage war against everybody that liked SG-1, SGA and SGU? BW & Co and SGU fans did that to us, waged war against those that liked SG-1 and SGA, do I need to remind you how that ended? BW & Co and SGU fans lost.

SciphonicStranger

Exactly, they need to do this in a way that gets as many fannies in the seats as possible for the 2nd film.

Tropicana

Council Member
Stargate the Original Movie had a similar pace as SG-1/SGA. The story telling and the story itself may be way different but if Devlin's 2nd movie is similar to the original movie, it will satisfy me and probably vast majority of the fans. They will acknowledge SG-1, SGA, SGU by stating one line in the whole 2hr dialogue as something as unremarkable as, "At least this is the true universe" or whatever. Cos Devlin would want to differentiate their creation from the series, the DVDs, the books, etc. That one 3 second line may seem unremarkable but it states, this "Stargate" is different, not the TV version, this is another universe- that's it. Difficult? No. Ties it in somewhat? Yes, it does. Allows fans of all types of SG to be welcomed? Yes it does. Opens up to new possibilities? Yes it does.

Of course naturally, the film will not satisfy the SGU fans, and sadly there's no way 'round that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I think we're looking at a couple years (at least 2) before a Devlin movie could be written, produced and released. That's actually a fair amount of time for people to get comfortable with the idea. I think it could work.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
wasnt reffering to your post bud.

I think I understand where you're coming from here. I, too, would be more than happy with a Devlin movie that had absolutely zero reference to the TV shows. I really don't see a need for connecting them or even giving the TV shows a nod of recognition. In fact I suspect that Devlin would write in a joke or two insulting the series -- something about having snakes in the head or the like.

At any rate, I think a Devlin movie would be kick ass and I, for one, would have absolutely no problem separating his version of the concept from anyone else's. And really, what Stargate/sci-fi fan isn't going to see the movie? It's Stargate. It's sci-fi. It's a no-brainer.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I think I understand where you're coming from here. I, too, would be more than happy with a Devlin movie that had absolutely zero reference to the TV shows. I really don't see a need for connecting them or even giving the TV shows a nod of recognition. In fact I suspect that Devlin would write in a joke or two insulting the series -- something about having snakes in the head or the like.

At any rate, I think a Devlin movie would be kick ass and I, for one, would have absolutely no problem separating his version of the concept from anyone else's. And really, what Stargate/sci-fi fan isn't going to see the movie? It's Stargate. It's sci-fi. It's a no-brainer.

Aye. agreeing with everything you said. (i was just to lazy to say it myself.)

and bolded is def true.

------------------------------------------

personally ive never liked the seris more then i liked the movie and tbh i only watched the series as i hoped it would be as epic as the movie but alas it wasnt even close.

yep imo SG1/SGA/SGU compared to the original movie SUCKED epicly and truth be told i never liked the direction BW took as he made it childish stupid and TV family friendly crap.

and on the note of satisfying fans?? come on you guys think 50k viewers (balloned to 2million with ratings calculations ad statistics) is going to matter at all for a big screen movie? LMFAO!!! get over yourselfs you are not that influential and imo any director or writer that fcuses on stisfying every random ass fanwank and fanwish will end up with a pile of crap so vile that it will make SGU look like solid gold on a diamond platter..

imo Stargate on the big screen wont need you series Squeedrones to fill the seats in the theaters. :facepalm:

/2cents

Tropicana

Council Member
You can facepalm all you like, my opinion is just as valid as yours. :) Devlin more than likely won't acknowledge any other forms of Stargate, am I going to lose sleep over it and cry into my pillow? Hell-to-the-no.

Secondly, what impression does it give when he just goes off, does his thing without acknowledgement of other forms of Stargate? That he's still displeased?

*Loud demonic voice* "I'm angry and I'm as mad as hell, that someone would tarnish our original movie with such TV rubbish - RAWR!!! *Ground shakes* Bow down to me now - RAWR! You will like this Stargate, I don't give a fuck about the TV series- RAWRRR!"

What a turn off.