Dean Devlin talks gate

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been saying this for a LONG time!

I have been talking about Devlin and Stargate sequels since the first time I joined SGUS. I knew this would happen, and he WILL be given the opportunity to do them because his last ventures have been successes (even if not good scifi). They will give him a blank check. But the bottom line is that the Stargate sequels will get made...will they be good? I dont know. Devlin's idea was to age the actors in the squels (which take place 10 years later) and use the original actors. Movies mean continuation of the ORIGINAL canon which means no Jaffa, no Atlantis or earth starships or Zat guns or Goa'uld or Wraith. Im still okay with that.

Movies means that a new foundation will be made for anything spinning off into TV (provided the movies are a success). Brad Wright's Stargate will most likely be discarded as though it never happened. Im okay with that too! The DVDs still preserve all of that. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was NOT a fan of the original movie..in fact only bought the original movie cause it was $4.50 at target and I had a giftcard. I probably wouldn't bother watch any sequels to the original movie. His ideas sound a rehash of some sg1 storylines. But if someone loves the movie go for it! :D

EVERYONE whom I have heard say what you said has started Stargate with one of the TV series, then watched the movie AFTER that. For me, the movie was first and then SG-1 was next. I frankly didnt like the way they did it at first, but it grew on me. But my original interest in Stargate was sparked by the movie. Did you see one of the series first, then the movie?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I have been talking about Devlin and Stargate sequels since the first time I joined SGUS. I knew this would happen, and he WILL be given the opportunity to do them because his last ventures have been successes (even if not good scifi). They will give him a blank check. But the bottom line is that the Stargate sequels will get made...will they be good? I dont know. Devlin's idea was to age the actors in the squels (which take place 10 years later) and use the original actors. Movies mean continuation of the ORIGINAL canon which means no Jaffa, no Atlantis or earth starships or Zat guns or Goa'uld or Wraith. Im still okay with that.

Movies means that a new foundation will be made for anything spinning off into TV (provided the movies are a success). Brad Wright's Stargate will most likely be discarded as though it never happened. Im okay with that too! The DVDs still preserve all of that. :)

I'm not so sure MGM is going to green light a Stargate the movie sequel anytime soon. I have a feeling that they will decide to let their franchise rest for a few years before trying again. That said, I do want to see these movies made just to see where they were planning to go with the original concept.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not so sure MGM is going to green light a Stargate the movie sequel anytime soon. I have a feeling that they will decide to let their franchise rest for a few years before trying again. That said, I do want to see these movies made just to see where they were planning to go with the original concept.

Why would they do that? Interest is high because of disappointed SGU fans as well as Atlantis/SG-1 fans. That interest could wane if they wait too long

SciphonicStranger

Why would they do that? Interest is high because of disappointed SGU fans as well as Atlantis/SG-1 fans. That interest could wane if they wait too long

First, it would be a big investment in a franchise whose last incarnation just failed badly. Second, I'm wondering if MGM is convinced that today's SG1/SGA and SGU fans will be able to relate to the Devlin/Emmerich version of Stargate. I saw the original movie first too. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
First, it would be a big investment in a franchise whose last incarnation just failed badly. Second, I'm wondering if MGM is convinced that today's SG1/SGA and SGU fans will be able to relate to the Devlin/Emmerich version of Stargate. I saw the original movie first too. ;)

Well, SGU fans will definitely not like it, because Stargate is not an interpersonal drama. SG-1 fans and SGA fans will most likely like it, but they may get pissed if all of the previous canon is discarded. Most Stargate fans became fans of one or both of the series, and not necessarily the movie. I think it doesnt take rocket science to make the connection between SGU's change in genre/tone and the failure of the franchise. SG-1 and SGA were both way WAY more successful than Stargate Universe, and there was none of the overt vitriol leveled at SGU for SG-1 and SGA (except from SGU fans). Devlin will make his movie without regard to any of that, I think. He will simply continue the story as he envisioned it and let the chips fall where they may. ONLY Devlin and Emmerich could give them a genuine sequel to the original movie, since they created Stargate. Not Brad Wright or Glassener or Mallozzi or any of those people. I dont think they (MGM) are dull enough to think that the successful original movie, and the two successful series that followed the genre/tone of the original movie, were the cause of the failure of the franchise. It is OBVIOUS that Stargate Universe is the reason for its quick and decisive demise. Anybody can see that just by looking at its numbers, without ever seeing an episode.

SciphonicStranger

Well, SGU fans will definitely not like it, because Stargate is not an interpersonal drama. SG-1 fans and SGA fans will most likely like it, but they may get pissed if all of the previous canon is discarded. Most Stargate fans became fans of one or both of the series, and not necessarily the movie. I think it doesnt take rocket science to make the connection between SGU's change in genre/tone and the failure of the franchise. SG-1 and SGA were both way WAY more successful than Stargate Universe, and there was none of the overt vitriol leveled at SGU for SG-1 and SGA (except from SGU fans). Devlin will make his movie without regard to any of that, I think. He will simply continue the story as he envisioned it and let the chips fall where they may. ONLY Devlin and Emmerich could give them a genuine sequel to the original movie, since they created Stargate. Not Brad Wright or Glassener or Mallozzi or any of those people. I dont think they (MGM) are dull enough to think that the successful original movie, and the two successful series that followed the genre/tone of the original movie, were the cause of the failure of the franchise. It is OBVIOUS that Stargate Universe is the reason for its quick and decisive demise. Anybody can see that just by looking at its numbers, without ever seeing an episode.

Certainly most SGU fans will be out. :P

But what about fans of General Hammond, Carter, Teal'c, McKay, Sheppard, Teyla, etc... All of that is gone when they go with the Devlin/Emmerich route. The TV shows left a big footprint. I'm with you - I hope they do the movies but there is a lot for MGM to measure here. That's just why I think they will wait.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Certainly most SGU fans will be out. :P

But what about fans of General Hammond, Carter, Teal'c, McKay, Sheppard, Teyla, etc... All of that is gone when they go with the Devlin/Emmerich route. The TV shows left a big footprint. I'm with you - I hope they do the movies but there is a lot for MGM to measure here. That's just why I think they will wait.

Yes, Im pretty sure all of that will be discarded, and that may make it fail. They need the momentum created by the first two series...moreso SG-1 than Atlantis, because SG-1 (only seasons 1-6) was supposed to be a continuation of the story. But the original creator Devlin/Emmerich were so dismayed by the way Glassener and Wright did SG-1 that they refused to take any credits for any of it. They felt it took Stargate in the wrong direction, so its highly unlikely that they will include or acknowledge any of the previous canon. Besides that, there is a different Jack and Daniel and whole new adventures with the new Jack and Daniel. There is no Jaffa, no Goa'uld, no Chulak and no symbiotes in Stargate by Devlin. Not so surprising is the fact that Emmerich wrote a story about a flying city buried beneath the Great Pyramid, and that to me is a strong indication that Brad stole the idea from that story when he made Atlantis. So, they could do an Atlantis sorta thing too. But all of our characters and locales familiar in SG-1 and SGA are not part of the original canon.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know I'm in the minority here but I have to say I'm more than fine with Devlin picking up where he left off with the original movie. It was pretty damn good. And to be honest I'm tired of Brad Wright's version of the Stargate concept. A continuation of the original movie would be more than welcome at this point. The king is dead. Long live the king!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
James Spader has said (on the DVD Ultimate edition) that if ever given the oppertunity to work on stargate he would take it in a heartbeat. I don't know if I could get over him as Allan Shaw, especially after he dresses as Shirly:
m3465d6030001_1_14015.jpg

Still, I'd give it a go :D

(Stargate that is)​

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know I'm in the minority here but I have to say I'm more than fine with Devlin picking up where he left off with the original movie. It was pretty damn good. And to be honest I'm tired of Brad Wright's version of the Stargate concept. A continuation of the original movie would be more than welcome at this point. The king is dead. Long live the king!

Im in that minority with you, dude! For two years I have been saying that Devlin and Emmerich should do the sequels. At the San Diego Comic Con, he said he wanted to do sequels. TWO to be exact, making it a trilogy. Its been in the Wiki for years now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate

Quote from there:

Plans for producing two sequels of the original film were announced by the original film's creator Dean Devlin at the 2006 San Diego Comic-Con. He has said he is currently in talks with MGM to produce four films and he would like two of them to be the final two films in his envisioned Stargate trilogy. In an interview with Sci Fi Wire, Devlin says that should the sequels be made, he hopes to enlist Kurt Russell and James Spader in the two sequels. Both Russell and Spader have expressed interest, Devlin revealed. "They've always said they wanted to do it. The irony is actually because it was 12 years ago that we made Stargate, [and] part two was actually supposed to take place about 12 years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors. So it actually works out really nicely." These sequels would bypass the 12 years of mythology created by SG-1 and Atlantis if they are produced.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate#cite_note-newstargatefilmfromorg-10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate#cite_note-newstargatefilmfromorg-10
In the meantime, Lionsgate remains the major rights holder to the original film; this was due to the fact that its predecessor, Live Entertainment, owned home video rights to the Carolco Pictures library and had also owned international distribution rights, although Carolco itself was on the brink of bankruptcy when they produced this film.

And here is Brad munching on his favorite cuisine...his own foot:

After Bill McCay had written a series of five novels continuing the story the original creators had envisioned, and despite the success of the Stargate television series, Dean Devlin stated in 2006 that "he has struck a production deal with MGM and is developing the long-delayed sequel feature films that will pick up the story from the 1994 original"[11] According to Devlin, two movie sequels would have picked up the story from the 1994 original, but not the mythology of the SG-1 and Atlantis series, with the original stars Kurt Russell and James Spader. Devlin regretted giving MGM control over the franchise.[11] The first movie already tapped into Egyptian mythology; the second one would have moved into other mythologies; and the third would tie all the mythologies together.[12] Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis producer Brad Wright said in 2002 that "Devlin can wish to do a sequel to Stargate all he wants. MGM owns the rights, and I doubt very much that they'll ask him to do it. He knows better."

LMAO. Brad derailed his own train, and now its original owner has to be called in to put it back on track again. KARMA

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
As I said on another thread I wouldn't be thrilled if this was the direction Stargate was to go down. I'd rather they do another canon TV show while all the actors/characters we like are still around; there wasn't really much closure to that overall story.

It should be noted that Spader is rumored to be joining The Office full time next season so he wouldn't have a large window in which to do another film.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
As I said on another thread I wouldn't be thrilled if this was the direction Stargate was to go down. I'd rather they do another canon TV show while all the actors/characters we like are still around; there wasn't really much closure to that overall story.

It should be noted that Spader is rumored to be joining The Office full time next season so he wouldn't have a large window in which to do another film.

I've heard that as well.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
EVERYONE whom I have heard say what you said has started Stargate with one of the TV series, then watched the movie AFTER that. For me, the movie was first and then SG-1 was next. I frankly didnt like the way they did it at first, but it grew on me. But my original interest in Stargate was sparked by the movie. Did you see one of the series first, then the movie?

INDEEEEEEED!.

seriously imo people who liked SG1 from the go are weeeeeird as imo it pretty much sucked compared to the epicness of the movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
INDEEEEEEED!.

seriously imo people who liked SG1 from the go are weeeeeird as imo it pretty much sucked compared to the epicness of the movie.

Very directly put, but I agree with you. It took a full season for me to accept it. I see why its original creators didnt like SG-1.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Brad Wright's vision of Stargate is spent. The guy basically had 17 seasons worth of doing his own thing with the concept. What's the point of trying to milk a dry cow just so we can see Ben Browder make a withering quip as he hugs a P90? Or why bother making a vehicle around Richard Dean Anderson just so he can sit at a desk, sip from a mug of coffee and act exasperated that poor Jack O'Neill has so much responsibility now? YAWN...

It just amazes me that so many people can't let go of the past, especially when the future holds so much possibility. It's obvious what Brad Wright would do with more Stargate under his control -- we all know what that would be. Let's not even pretend to be in the dark here. But the same can't be said for Devlin, the originator. We've gotten a glimpse of his vision of Stargate and that glimpse is pretty cool. Hell, I'd even go see Devlin's next Stargate movie in a theater, and I almost never go to the movies anymore, that's how excited I'd be to see it.

OMNI

Very directly put, but I agree with you. It took a full season for me to accept it. I see why its original creators didnt like SG-1.

direct is my style yaknow ;)

and for me it honestly took longer to really get into it and i think it wasnt until s5 that i was sort of sold on it.
and well if someone took your baby made it cheap and borderline stupid then pasted it on TV as something wonderfull would you like it? i for one wouldnt.

OMNI

Brad Wright's vision of Stargate is spent. The guy basically had 17 seasons worth of doing his own thing with the concept. What's the point of trying to milk a dry cow just so we can see Ben Browder make a withering quip as he hugs a P90? Or why bother making a vehicle around Richard Dean Anderson just so he can sit at a desk, sip from a mug of coffee and act exasperated that poor Jack O'Neill has so much responsibility now? YAWN...

It just amazes me that so many people can't let go of the past, especially when the future holds so much possibility. It's obvious what Brad Wright would do with more Stargate under his control -- we all know what that would be. Let's not even pretend to be in the dark here. But the same can't be said for Devlin, the originator. We've gotten a glimpse of his vision of Stargate and that glimpse is pretty cool. Hell, I'd even go see Devlin's next Stargate movie in a theater, and I almost never go to the movies anymore, that's how excited I'd be to see it.

i agree 1000000% with everything you said in this post.

bolded in particular.