Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And I sincerely hope we do NOT get time travel in it. So far the only show/film I have seen that figured out a way to handle it without causing the whole story to implode on itself is Doctor Who.

Time travel is old trope now. It is overdone, and it no longer falls within the purvey of possibility. This new one will have an "ending". That should be interesting. Also, I have no idea how many movies are planned in this series. I do believe that the story has been written in advance, however. It does not appear to be made up along the way. One movie seamlessly continuing the previous one....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Time travel is old trope now. It is overdone, and it no longer falls within the purvey of possibility. This new one will have an "ending". That should be interesting. Also, I have no idea how many movies are planned in this series. I do believe that the story has been written in advance, however. It does not appear to be made up along the way. One movie seamlessly continuing the previous one....

Just think of the future options...

a future where,after any wars between "bad" humans and the apes and "good" humans, man and ape have a symbiotic society--each race tasked with different functions?

ape and man in space together?

That is why sci fi /future fiction is great--once you establish the improbable as now accepted (apes taking over, talking, etc) nearly any story line is than acceptable

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SECOND OFFICIAL TRAILER (all copies of this trailer have embedding disabled):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHMCRaS3ao

OMFG...must see this movie. :) Its just awesome, and damn you all to HELL! :P Official release date from 20th Century Fox:

July 11, 2014
man-dancing.gif

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Will we have "Day of the Planet of the Apes" and "Night of the Living Planet of the Apes" and "Diary of the Planet of the Apes" any time soon?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SECOND OFFICIAL TRAILER (all copies of this trailer have embedding disabled):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHMCRaS3ao

OMFG...must see this movie. :) Its just awesome, and damn you all to HELL! :P Official release date from 20th Century Fox:

July 11, 2014
View attachment 29912

Ah, so Oldman is playing the bad guy? Got so used to him being the faulty good cop in batman....

I like the trailer for what it shows, I am just hoping the movie isn't has limited in the geography of things as it shows in the trailer with everything in the Bay Area

That was my one biggest peave of the originals= the "Planet" was always limited to one or a couple of valleys and thats it...

Looks like it should be good though wither way
--- merged: May 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM ---
Will we have "Day of the Planet of the Apes" and "Night of the Living Planet of the Apes" and "Diary of the Planet of the Apes" any time soon?

Zombie apes?

The walking dead for simians? Now that would be quite the genre mix up heh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This premise is brilliant, and the last Apes movie did the original 6 films justice, exceeding them in visuals, but equaling the scope of the originals. This set of films seems way more epic than the first movies, which were not bad. The originals were heavy on interpersonal drama (both with the apes and with the humans). This one has way WAY more science, but the interpersonal drama is far more believable. We know why Caesar is angry, why he is leading the apes and what is motivating his ape troop.

Im really looking forward to this movie and I will be seeing it in the theater. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This premise is brilliant, and the last Apes movie did the original 6 films justice, exceeding them in visuals, but equaling the scope of the originals. This set of films seems way more epic than the first movies, which were not bad. The originals were heavy on interpersonal drama (both with the apes and with the humans). This one has way WAY more science, but the interpersonal drama is far more believable. We know why Caesar is angry, why he is leading the apes and what is motivating his ape troop.

Im really looking forward to this movie and I will be seeing it in the theater. :)

As a soldier.. I am wondering though, how do the apes get their fingers into the M16's trigger guard? :icon_e_surprised: :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As a soldier.. I am wondering though, how do the apes get their fingers into the M16's trigger guard? :icon_e_surprised: :icon_lol:

Ape and monkey fingers are not necessarily larger than humans. Gorilla hands are larger, but chimp hands and fingers are about the same size as humans. The differences are in the placement and size of the thumbs of a gorilla or chimp. Theoretically, a chimp could fire a weapon even with just it's feet. BTW, humans are apes too. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NEW TRAILER:

Release date: July 11, 2014

I cant wait to see this. It looks like there is a lot of interpersonal interaction between apes and humans, and in this film series that IS important. More important than the effects or the battles. I cant wait!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ape and monkey fingers are not necessarily larger than humans. Gorilla hands are larger, but chimp hands and fingers are about the same size as humans. The differences are in the placement and size of the thumbs of a gorilla or chimp. Theoretically, a chimp could fire a weapon even with just it's feet. BTW, humans are apes too. :)

Well duh... :anim_59:

But if you think back to when you had to fire an m16, remember how small the space of the trigger guard/housing is? once you got used to it, no problem. the A2 is the same, but you still can't fire either one with standard issue gloves on in winter (that is why in footage from astan, etc, you see guys wearing off the shelf civie, skin tight gloves rather than the issue ones.

Just saying, it is a "consideration" that you.I or any other person who has ever become so familiar with the weapon, and one, that I am also sure, is an issue that the TPTB's had never considered.

Not that it would ruin the movie or anything :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
On the lighter side~~~~I got a snippet of SYFY's original POtA's marathon today

Forgot that one could sum up the originals with one word:

NOVA!!

28566595-28566598-large.jpg
images

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-9_21-4-46.jpeg
    upload_2014-7-9_21-4-46.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 122

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I made an interesting discovery recently.

I have wondered since seeing it just how Gareth Edwards was able to make Godzilla feel so much like a real creature in Godzilla 2014. Well, as it turns out Godzilla and Caesar have some things in common - Andy Serkis and motion capture technology. Just like Serkis "plays" Caesar and then the CGI is literally painted over his body he "played" Godzilla in a consulting role where he used motion capture gear to record fighting, walking and so on for Godzilla. They then (just like Caesar) painted Godzilla over those templates and mixed and matched them as needed to bring Godzilla to life.

It's the same technology Dawn of the Planet of the Apes uses.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:ronnon_whistling:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:) The guy tried REALLY hard to seem spontaneous and funny, but....no. Im reading other critics gushing over this movie. :) I cant wait to see it. They are actually going to get money from me for this flick. But I am sneaking in my own damned candy.

I noticed in his heavily scripted spontaneous review that he thinks this is a reboot of the 2001 PoA film? Just LOL! No, that movie has been struck from canon and is NOT part of the original set. These new Apes movies are not really reboots. They are prequels/interstitials. Rise of the Planet of the Apes takes place before Conquestof the Planet of the Apes, and changes the core of the film without really rebooting it (confusing, huh?). This movie is still telling that story, but instead of the apes taking over by force after being pets, they supposedly build their own community which thrives instead of dying like human civilization is dying.

Critics are gushing. Rotten Tomatoes gives this 91% fresh. Fox says this:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...net-apes-review-it-best-sci-fi-film-in-years/

Excerpt:

It’s tough to be a sequel. It’s even harder to be the sequel of a beloved classic series like “Planet of the Apes,” but Matt Reeves’ “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” is not only the best sequel in the franchise and one of the best films of 2014, it’s the best science fiction film in years.

For a while, sci-fi films have become less allegorical and have morphed more into vapid, flashy action spectacles. Of course there are some exceptions like the incredible “Moon” and “Snowpiercer,” – even “The Hunger Games”– but “Dawn” follows its “Apes” predecessors as an intelligent, character-driven allegorical adventure.

:)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I made an interesting discovery recently.

I have wondered since seeing it just how Gareth Edwards was able to make Godzilla feel so much like a real creature in Godzilla 2014. Well, as it turns out Godzilla and Caesar have some things in common - Andy Serkis and motion capture technology. Just like Serkis "plays" Caesar and then the CGI is literally painted over his body he "played" Godzilla in a consulting role where he used motion capture gear to record fighting, walking and so on for Godzilla. They then (just like Caesar) painted Godzilla over those templates and mixed and matched them as needed to bring Godzilla to life.

It's the same technology Dawn of the Planet of the Apes uses.

What will/would they do without serkis?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's an interesting question. Right now he is far and away the most accomplished "motion capture" actor out there. And it does take some different skills as you're doing all your stuff while wearing a rig that makes you look like a Terminator skeleton.