Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
MORE AT----http://www.blog.gamedruid.in/movies---tv/dawn-planet-apes-trailer-breakdown/

-----"The scene then cuts to giant redwoods where Caesar and his ilk have made their home/base – and he calls out

“I need to speak to Caesar.”

Now, let’s re-cap and see what we know so far, shall we?

1. We now know, all this is happening 8 years after the virus broke out.

2. It seems like Humans fought amongst themselves before fighting the apes.

3. Looks like Ape territory and Human territory was clearly demarcated.

4. There seems to be some sort of alliance between the apes and humans – some sort of protocol for communication.

5. There’s been a breach in the human settlement.

Now coming back to the breach – its still not certain who or what created that breach, the massive gaping hole through the barricade. Was it the apes? Was it a common enemy? Who could they be? Was it rogue humans? Is that why they’re seeking Caesar’s council?

After this, the scene cuts to what is easily the most spine chilling part of the trailer – An aged Caesar, with war paint adorning his face. As the camera zooms out, the return to the speech which continues

“it’s not about power, but about giving us the hope to rebuild and reclaim the world we lost.”

Does this mean the humans are planning to reclaim what is theirs? or are they planning to work together with the apes to figure out what happened and then fix it?

When the camera has zoomed out, you can see Caesar and the rest of the apes all ready for war – spears, war paint etc. and then you notice that Caesar is standing there waiting to give the sign to attack, which he does just as the trailer cuts to the release date and title."---------​

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im really looking forward to the sequel to the excellent Planet of the Apes from 2011. Everything is looking good, and we get to see major developments in the ape universe of this reboot.

dawn+of+the+planet+of+the+apes.jpg

There is a great article on the movie here:

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/04/21/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-preview/

Here is the first official trailer:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im really looking forward to the sequel to the excellent Planet of the Apes from 2011. Everything is looking good, and we get to see major developments in the ape universe of this reboot.

View attachment 29801

There is a great article on the movie here:

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/04/21/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-preview/

Here is the first official trailer:

Didn't we already have a thread on this?

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-trailer.27098/

I too, hope it is as good as and "built on" the first movie.

So, what genre do you consider this? The original ones could be called sci-fi because pf the time travel. But are these sci-fi, fantasy, science fantasy or maybe even future fiction ? I think they could be in either category.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We'll see.

This one has better visuals but I liked the story in the original one better. Especially the twist that started in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and finished in the series climax where Caesar learns of the details of the destruction of Earth and decides to change history.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didn't we already have a thread on this?

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-trailer.27098/

I too, hope it is as good as and "built on" the first movie.

So, what genre do you consider this? The original ones could be called sci-fi because pf the time travel. But are these sci-fi, fantasy, science fantasy or maybe even future fiction ? I think they could be in either category.

This is good old fashioned SCIENCE FICTION. The real deal.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We'll see.

This one has better visuals but I liked the story in the original one better. Especially the twist that started in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and finished in the series climax where Caesar learns of the details of the destruction of Earth and decides to change history.

??? When did that happen? I hope you dont mean the Tim Burton PoA movie...that has been struck from canon.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In the original series. The last two films are Caesar changing history.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the original series. The last two films are Caesar changing history.

Actually, he is fulfilling it. His parents did not know that their baby would be the future leader of the Ape Uprising. But he did know that the earth would be destroyed and that apes would inherit the earth later. Caesar later was the leader of the human/ape camp in Battle for the Planet of the Apes and was then married to Lisa who was the female ape who spoke in Conquest at the end. He did not exactly consciously manipulate the timeline, and the future events unfolded just as they should have. The missing movie is after Battle where we get to meet the Lawgiver and see how the apes built their society after the humans were reduced to a feral, mute state. The new franchise reboots the beginning, but I do not see how they can make it a seamless continuity loop like in the original (where it is a causality loop). This new version is linear.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually, he is fulfilling it. His parents did not know that their baby would be the future leader of the Ape Uprising. But he did know that the earth would be destroyed and that apes would inherit the earth later. Caesar later was the leader of the human/ape camp in Battle for the Planet of the Apes and was then married to Lisa who was the female ape who spoke in Conquest at the end. He did not exactly consciously manipulate the timeline, and the future events unfolded just as they should have. The missing movie is after Battle where we get to meet the Lawgiver and see how the apes built their society after the humans were reduced to a feral, mute state. The new franchise reboots the beginning, but I do not see how they can make it a seamless continuity loop like in the original (where it is a causality loop). This new version is linear.

Actually per Escape Cornelius and Zira thought Aldo would lead the revolt. So history changed when they came back because Caesar led the revolt instead and indeed in Battle kills Aldo at the end and decrees equality for humans and apes. This arose from Caesar going to the Forbidden City and listening to old video of his parents that revealed the future of Also as the leader/lawgiver and apes blowing up the earth. The final scene jumps several centuries into the future and shows the lawgiver presiding benevolently over a combined ape/human society and teaching them to live together in peace.

There was an original version of Conquest that hewed more to the original POTA storyline. But it played VERY badly to test audiences and they changed the ending, adding several lines to Caesar's speech where instead of ordering the execution of the surviving humans he orders them spared and treated with compassion. Subsequently Battle was written twice actually - the first one to setup Planet of the Apes but the second (after the first writer took ill) was angled more towards Caesar changing the timeline to prevent Earth's destruction.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually per Escape Cornelius and Zira thought Aldo would lead the revolt. So history changed when they came back because Caesar led the revolt instead and indeed in Battle kills Aldo at the end and decrees equality for humans and apes. This arose from Caesar going to the Forbidden City and listening to old video of his parents that revealed the future of Also as the leader/lawgiver and apes blowing up the earth. The final scene jumps several centuries into the future and shows the lawgiver presiding benevolently over a combined ape/human society and teaching them to live together in peace.

There was an original version of Conquest that hewed more to the original POTA storyline. But it played VERY badly to test audiences and they changed the ending, adding several lines to Caesar's speech where instead of ordering the execution of the surviving humans he orders them spared and treated with compassion. Subsequently Battle was written twice actually - the first one to setup Planet of the Apes but the second (after the first writer took ill) was angled more towards Caesar changing the timeline to prevent Earth's destruction.

Yes, quite correct. I saw all of these on premiere night at the Beverly Theater with my family as they came out one by one. There was nothing like them at the time. :). I saw the original version with the controversial ending.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I thought that in ESCAPE Cornelius, Zira and Milo had left knowing that the Gorillas were hell bent on conquering the underground human city--from BENEATH PLANET OF APES. They knew of Taylor's ship and that Taylor had come to understand that he was on a nuke ravaged earth. They repaired the ship and basically escaped as the Gorillas had torn down good ole Alpha and Omega.

You guys are saying that they left because they though Aldo would lead the revolt-what revolt? The apes were already mostly in charge-minus the underground city

For these new movies though, I am thinking it is going to go more along the lines of the human remainder and the apes coming together to fight another human threat; either hostile humans on the planet (which would be boring); humans in orbit or humans coming back from Mars (remember the space mission to mars that was going on concurrently in the first movie?

Whichever-I hope that TPTB realizes that now fans are a bit more "sophisticated" and will expect to see an actual planet of Apes rather than just one valley, city or patch of marginal arid land

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They left for the reason you stated Yongjin. The statement about Aldo was Cornelius recounting Ape history to the human investigating committee in Escape. They also at that time described the end of the Earth, which Caesar heard later and due to it resolved to change history.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They left for the reason you stated Yongjin. The statement about Aldo was Cornelius recounting Ape history to the human investigating committee in Escape. They also at that time described the end of the Earth, which Caesar heard later and due to it resolved to change history.

Got it :encouragement: :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought that in ESCAPE Cornelius, Zira and Milo had left knowing that the Gorillas were hell bent on conquering the underground human city--from BENEATH PLANET OF APES. They knew of Taylor's ship and that Taylor had come to understand that he was on a nuke ravaged earth. They repaired the ship and basically escaped as the Gorillas had torn down good ole Alpha and Omega.

You are right.

You guys are saying that they left because they though Aldo would lead the revolt-what revolt? The apes were already mostly in charge-minus the underground city

That is what I understand about the movie as well. I do not see Ceasar intentionally trying to change history because o Aldo or any of the future events. I see a Caesar driven by hate because his "father" (played by Ricardo Montalban) was killed protecting Caesar's identity (he jumped out of the window whilst being interrogated). That hate is what drove him. I also did not see anything about Aldo in any of the tapes, nor did I hear Zira or Cornelius mention Aldo in the recordings. I agreed with Joelist at first, then I watched Conquest and Battle today and saw that the tapes were only snippets from the scene in Escape where Zira and Cornelius were being cross examined by the military, the government and clergy. No Aldo was mentioned, therefore Caesar is not reacting to any future events.

For these new movies though, I am thinking it is going to go more along the lines of the human remainder and the apes coming together to fight another human threat; either hostile humans on the planet (which would be boring); humans in orbit or humans coming back from Mars (remember the space mission to mars that was going on concurrently in the first movie?

That is what I think as well. I believe this next movie will explore that dynamic, and that the humans remaining on earth who want to kill all the apes rather than work with them will be a catalyst for all out war (the teasers confirm this on the web). At some point, nuclear weapons will be used in this PoA reboot which will result in destruction of human civilization on the surface. I dont see where a couple of astronauts could be a threat, and since this reboot is in modern times, I dont see a threat from space either. I think that the astronauts might come back through an anomaly later in this series, when the apes have taken over and are well established and the previous domination by humans is concealed from history by the ape society leaders.

Whichever-I hope that TPTB realizes that now fans are a bit more "sophisticated" and will expect to see an actual planet of Apes rather than just one valley, city or patch of marginal arid land

I think they are using San Francisco as the "familiar" zone. When Caesar climbs that redwood tree in the first movie, I can just see him climbing that tree again in this coming movie, only the skyline of San Francisco has been reduced to ruin, or is on fire, etc. :) That is cool, because those redwoods are ALREADY more than 3000 years old, and they can easily live much longer than that. They (those redwoods) should be around all the way to the end of the complete series way in the future.

What I dont see is how they can "close the loop". In the original, the entire story was a causality loop which started where it ended. This series is linear, starting with the ALZ-113 and giving it to the captive apes. This means that the process of the rise of the apes is caused by only one human (Will Rodman), trying to cure his father's Alzheimer's. You cant create the causality loop. It means perhaps that the time travel element has been eliminated?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im not seeing that, Joelist. :) I just watched both Escape and Battle a couple of hours ago. Aldo's name was never mentioned in the Committee, in those tapes in Escape or in Battle. Lets rewatch it together. :)

In Battle, Caesar did decide to live peacefully with the humans, but that Aldo who was the first ape to kill ape was a completely different gorilla than Aldo from Planet of the Apes I who led the military (but he was the same actor). I have all of these in my collection, I would love to do a rewatch with you on the series!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually per Escape Cornelius and Zira thought Aldo would lead the revolt. So history changed when they came back because Caesar led the revolt instead and indeed in Battle kills Aldo at the end and decrees equality for humans and apes.

Actually, you are mistaken. The Aldo in Battle is not the Aldo in Planet of the Apes I that Zira and Cornelius knew. He is the same actor, and he is in charge of the military in Battle, but he is not the same Aldo from the future. Zira and Cornelius never saw or knew Aldo from Battle because they were dead (Escape). I just watched it. :)

This arose from Caesar going to the Forbidden City and listening to old video of his parents that revealed the future of Aldo as the leader/lawgiver and apes blowing up the earth. The final scene jumps several centuries into the future and shows the lawgiver presiding benevolently over a combined ape/human society and teaching them to live together in peace.

Aldo was not the lawgiver. Aldo is a gorilla and the lawgiver is an Orangutan:

download.jpg

In ape society, the Orangutans are highest in the ape society, being the majority of the clergy and scientific circles along with Chimpanzees with the Gorillas being militaristic and physical, and are intellectually immature.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually it was in Escape - Cornelius relates the history of the Ape civilization and in his telling it is an Ape named Aldo who leads the rebellion. It was in the CIA interrogation (my bad when I said committee - it has been a bit since I watched Escape) and at approximately the 52 minute mark is where Caesar names Aldo as the ape that first said "No" and so forth.

In Battle Caesar views videos telling him how Earth was destroyed (per the video at about 28 minutes in by the Gorillas) and decides to chasing history.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Right. Aldo was not specifically the lawgiver. But he was the leader of the rebellion (as I just noted with time references) in the original timeline. Caesar assumed that role in the changed timeline and then Aldo was killed after murdering Caesar's son in Battle. We see the lawgiver at the very start and end of Battle and it is obvious that he is much changed as he is a disciple of Caesar instead of what he was in POTA.

Good point correcting on the lawgiver - I got that a bit off. But Cornelius did name Aldo in both films and Caesar saw it and does endeavor to change the future.