Cosmos on Fox

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
^Think you meant:

1374123021908.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Whaaaat? Episode 3 of Cosmos reveals that Isaac Newton was an alchemist and a heavily evangelical Christian? He actually spent time trying to create gold and silver from lead and tin? he tried to calculate the date of the Second Coming? All while at Cambridge??? What a disappointment. The rest of what he did was only a sidenote to him.

This episode was very disappointing. It contained a bunch of animated "dramatization" of Newton's life and accomplishments, and it was just WAY too much concerned with religion. Im becoming suspicious of this show. :(

There is an undercurrent of religion throughout.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Do you believe me now, or is Neil Tyson spinning shit as well?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do you believe me now, or is Neil Tyson spinning shit as well?

Not Neil, the writers of this show. Neil did not write his narrative and he is not a producer or executive producer of this show like Carl Sagan was for the original. This show borders on fiction. Why didnt the show tell the fact that the Oort Cloud is only a theory which has not been confirmed? Edmund Halley's story was done well, but the Newton thing sucked (only because of the dramatization). I dont like the animated characters in the show at all. I dont want to hear about PEOPLE, I want to hear about SCIENCE. In the original, we explored the Cosmos, not the individuals who studied it. BORING. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is still bothering me. Why is it that physics still attaches names to scientific processes and celestial objects? Why is this show concentrating on specific scientists and not on the science they explored? In Information Technology and most of the other sciences, you find scientific information catalogued by processes, not by who created them. I couldnt tell you who created the if/then statements in SQL or who invented machine language code, or even who created HTML5 because in IT we are a collective. We use tools like GIThub and other collaborative tools to contribute to the science of IT. Linux is not something somebody's name can be put on. IT folks do not have a narcissistic need to slap their names on stuff. That is why we dont have the Bill Gates OS or the Jobs OS. We dont have "Sally's Code" or "The Wentworth Algorithm". Biology used to be like that but it changed too. Astronomy now uses M-x numbers to describe celestial objects. Chemistry now catalogues compounds by number. You get the idea.

This entire episode was devoted to Halley and Newton and not comets or their effects and composition. I couldnt care less about hearing about Halley inventing a diving bell, or watching cartoons telling me the story I don't want to hear, especially in a show called The Cosmos. :( If that is what I want, I can read it in print in a book or the web. TOO MUCH FLUFF.

B

Backstep

Whaaaat? Episode 3 of Cosmos reveals that Isaac Newton was an alchemist and a heavily evangelical Christian? He actually spent time trying to create gold and silver from lead and tin? he tried to calculate the date of the Second Coming? All while at Cambridge??? What a disappointment. The rest of what he did was only a sidenote to him.

This episode was very disappointing. It contained a bunch of animated "dramatization" of Newton's life and accomplishments, and it was just WAY too much concerned with religion. Im becoming suspicious of this show. :(

There is an undercurrent of religion throughout.

IMO, you can not judge a pre-enlightenment scientist by today's standards of thought. If Newton had said his beliefs in public, the church would have labeled him a heretic and burned or jailed him.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IMO, you can not judge a pre-enlightenment scientist by today's standards of thought. If Newton had said his beliefs in public, the church would have labeled him a heretic and burned or jailed him.

Of course. But why was HALF the episode about him? The other half was about Halley. More than half the entire episode was a cartoon. :( I dont want to hear anything about the extended histories of these scientists when I am watching a show called Cosmos. That is biography, not science.

B

Backstep

Of course. But why was HALF the episode about him? The other half was about Halley. More than half the entire episode was a cartoon. :( I dont want to hear anything about the extended histories of these scientists when I am watching a show called Cosmos. That is biography, not science.

That was because it was the back story of how it not for Halley, we would not have Newton's published works.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That was because it was the back story of how it not for Halley, we would not have Newton's published works.

Still, why was this the entire third episode of Cosmos? This is not what Cosmos is about. Have you watched the first series?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Not Neil, the writers of this show. Neil did not write his narrative and he is not a producer or executive producer of this show like Carl Sagan was for the original. This show borders on fiction. Why didnt the show tell the fact that the Oort Cloud is only a theory which has not been confirmed? Edmund Halley's story was done well, but the Newton thing sucked (only because of the dramatization). I dont like the animated characters in the show at all. I dont want to hear about PEOPLE, I want to hear about SCIENCE. In the original, we explored the Cosmos, not the individuals who studied it. BORING. :(

Dude.
Watch some shows with Neil Tyson, he would NOT put up with "fictional shit" from producers, he would rather walk away, or laugh at the "stupidity"
All he is doing is taking the facts and telling a story with them. You think someone who was INSPRED by Carl Sagan, who has such close connections to the source would LET people just "make crap up" and put his voice and name to it??
Come on man.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude.
Watch some shows with Neil Tyson, he would NOT put up with "fictional shit" from producers, he would rather walk away, or laugh at the "stupidity"
All he is doing is taking the facts and telling a story with them. You think someone who was INSPRED by Carl Sagan, who has such close connections to the source would LET people just "make crap up" and put his voice and name to it??
Come on man.

I am not saying anything in this episode was false. Neil Tyson is merely being used as an actor in this show. He is not a writer, a contributing writer or even a consultant.:

I think that Neil DeGrass Tyson knows a good thing when he sees it. :) Yes, he is rich without this show, but this show could catapult him into the seat that Carl Sagan used to sit in. Unfortunately, as intelligent as he is, he lacks the vision Carl Sagan had IMO. But make no mistake, this is a "show" for him. He was hired by Ann Druyan (not a scientist, an activist)

And the other writer is Steven Soter, another astrophysicist with far less education than Tyson

I cant pin this on Tyson. He is not full of shit. But lots of this episode was.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

How many of the episodes in the original Cosmos focused on a scientist or his history? :) Without comparing this show to any other show, including the original, this episode just sucked. IMO. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL
It's just about the money isn't it?

Who needs integrity.....................
Far out dude. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL
It's just about the money isn't it?

Who needs integrity.....................

Far out dude. :(

Yep. :( Tyson wants to be the new Pop Scientist. Bill Nye did not have the cojones to take that spot, and Stephen Hawking just couldnt pull it off. Tyson is a logical figurehead. But he is just an actor in this. Sagan was the creator of his show. He co-wrote EVERY episode with Ann and Steven. This time around, its only Anne and Steven writing and Tyson is just the actor.

Original: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081846/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yep. :( Tyson wants to be the new Pop Scientist. Bill Nye did not have the cojones to take that spot, and Stephen Hawking just couldnt pull it off. Tyson is a logical figurehead. But he is just an actor in this. Sagan was the creator of his show. He co-wrote EVERY episode with Ann and Steven. This time around, its only Anne and Steven writing and Tyson is just the actor.

Original: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081846/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

You need to watch more Neil Tyson, cause he would not put up with that shit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You need to watch more Neil Tyson, cause he would not put up with that shit.

Oh, I do indeed. :) I would love to meet him in person. That is why I looked to see if he was a writer of episode 3, because it seemed so out of character to hear him narrating a cartoon dramatization of Halley and Newton. I was surprised to find that he is not on the writing team OR the consulting teams. He isnt even a producer. This has to be for the money and nothing else. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You really think a man who has dedicated his life to science, is in charge of an Observatory, consults with NASA and was on the board that gave Pluto the Arse is doing it "for the money"??
Neil doesn't NEED the money dude.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I like the dumbness ,,,. I have to read something around 10 times before I understand it . And I don't always understand what you smarty pants are always talking about but I am quick with many other things except what you are thinking of right now . I never have a quickie ,,,only a longy :) :) :) .
While doing professional Car Racing some 20 years ago , I had a team manager . He was a Computer Engineer or something and worked for the Government in Computer Services as a manager . I know he could write programs . His wife was a Genetic Engineer and worked at The Sick Children's Hospital . Both very well educated people from top University's in England .
Me , a college education in the HVAC trade . It was hard for me but I was able to pass all my test's and get all my licenses .
Anyway my manager was a huge racing fan and I was not and probably am still not . I prefer to be in the race than watch it . He could not drive a race if his life depended on it and I could . Both him and his wife were huge fans of racing and saw something in me that told them I would be quick . I don't like to use the brakes often while racing lol and that was kinda my reason for being able to go faster than other drivers .
My point here is that they were both super smart and I was of average of intelligence's but could handle machinery at high speeds . They were both baffled as to how I did this . My explanation to this is that I cannot multitask . I have to do one thing at a time . Even though when in a race car you are doing many things at once ,but to me it was all one fluid motion . GreenFlag for Start of race !!! Accelerate , up-shift , watch mirrors , feel car traction through butt and steering wheel,shift just before redline , check mirrors for positions of other cars , adjust position of vehicle for first corner , brake or not accordingly , keep steady acceleration through corner while feeling for under-steer and over- steer ,correcting for entrance ,apex and exit point , watch mirrors , listen to engine or glance at the tachometer to up-shift ,keep accelerating , up-shift , place vehicle for next corner, check mirrors , out-brake competitors or no brakes , turn in at proper time , grab apex while feeling vehicle movements by seat of pant's and steering wheel and so on and so on .

Now you are thinking to yourself ,,,what do you mean !!! . You are so multitasking !!! . Yes and no . Like I mentioned before it was one action to me . The car and you are 1 and you are just making the car do what you want it to do .
When you are typing your responses can be compared to this same action that I speak of . You just type what your mind is telling you to type without really telling your fingers what to do ! . Same process while driving a car fast . It really is just that simple :) :) :)
Now as far as my manager ,and his skills I watched him talking on the phone to someone while taking notes and doing something completely different on his computer monitor typing while not even looking at the k-board . Now to me ,,, that was amazing to watch . Now this will really amaze you . My managers wife kept the timing laps of every vehicle on the racetrack at every race I was in . I did a 24hr race once and there timing clock broke sometime during the race . The officials of the event kept coming to our pitt area as she was the only source of timing for the track officials . There were more than 60 cars on the track at the time . GT1/GT2/GT3/and showroom stack vehicles . She calculated all the lap times of all those vehicles without any mistakes or confusion . Now that is super multi, multi multi tasking or what . When I saw her do this she had a multitude of stop watches at her disposal . WOW ,,, . She was and is the Timing Goddess of racing :) :) :) I could never ever do that but I am sure some of you here probably could do that if needed . I am here correcting spelling constantly , trying to get my point across also but have blocked anything else around me at this time . The morning radio is playing ,not listening, my wife just told me to get my son's butt in gear to catch the bus , and she had to say it a few times lol ( normal male here perhaps ) . I've had to stop my story here and help with his departure which is what any good husband and father should do anyway .
If a TV is on or a something or a screen somewhere near me within viewing distance , you will loose me in conversation as I completely focus on that screen and not hear one thing anyone says to me . My manager had to turn the TV off anytime I was at his house so he could have a talk with me about next weekends race or after a race . He and his wife for the life of them could not figure out how I could be so fast in a vehicle while not showing very high intelligence while in conversation or always easily being distracted . Serious ADD I guess as it now has a label . Back then you were the class dunce or class dummy . I tried my hardest to be a good student but often was sent to the office or the corner or given the strap . But throw me on a motorbike , skidoo , car , airplane or what ever and I would ace things like that . I guess we all have our talent's . Some with showing a high intelligent s and others with showing a not the sharpest tool in the shed intelligence's but getting along through life just fine thank you very much :) :) :)
So for someone like me I like the dumbing down a bit as I will probably still have to watch it a few times to grasp what I am being told . Perhaps also children may grasp this better also .
Don't get me wrong here either as I think of myself as very intelligent and a very good problem solver . Just don't put a TV in front of me and I might just listen to what you are telling me .
Go Cosmos !!! Woohoo !!! :) :) :)
Oh and yes ,,,Billions and Billions of neuronssss are popping in your head as you drive fast . In our imaginary raceee carrrr, weee will squealll more rubberrrr off our tiressss and rub fendersss on every lap . Join me now as we accelerate at unearthlyyyy forces and seeeeee just how far we can push it !!!

:) :) :)