Cosmos on Fox

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You really think a man who has dedicated his life to science, is in charge of an Observatory, consults with NASA and was on the board that gave Pluto the Arse is doing it "for the money"??
Neil doesn't NEED the money dude.

LOL...I have been following Neil DeGrasse Tyson since he first appeared to the public. How often do you see a black Ph.D astrophysicist come along educating the public? YES, I know what this man is about. YES, I know he is rich, and I said as much not three posts up:

"Yes, he is rich without this show, but this show could catapult him into the seat that Carl Sagan used to sit in. Unfortunately, as intelligent as he is, he lacks the vision Carl Sagan had IMO. But make no mistake, this is a "show" for him. "

The facts remain. He is an actor in this show. He has no creative or writing input whatsoever. You keep talking about Neil "not putting up with" shit, but that is exactly what he is doing. He probably took this job because Carl Sagan had it. I dont get what you are arguing about. :) You keep claiming he "wont put up with shit", what do you mean by that? Neil is not going to give time to the Creationists because Anne and Steven are atheists like DeGrasse is. But the rest of the shit he is okay with (obviously). The cartoons, the dedication of episode 3 to Halley and Newton instead of comets and trajectories and impact events. I found it appalling that the episode didnt even discuss Shoemaker-Levy and the Jupiter impact in it's discussion of Newtonian physics. :facepalm:

But this is not on Neil, it is on the writers Anne Dryan and Steven Soter.

Last edited:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Some of the cartoon dramatizations need to go. Episode 2 was great because of the lack of it. I get the feeling because Macfarlane is sort of piggybacking it, he got some creative say in certain aspects of it. I don't mind the history, the science, the development, it's the focus of other aspects that bothers me. They focused on that rivalry, biography, and other crap. Silly and unnecessary dramatization of human conflicts, should really focus on the science. Those moments really dragged down the episode, in my opinion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some of the cartoon dramatizations need to go. Episode 2 was great because of the lack of it. I get the feeling because Macfarlane is sort of piggybacking it, he got some creative say in certain aspects of it. I don't mind the history, the science, the development, it's the focus of other aspects that bothers me. They focused on that rivalry, biography, and other crap. Silly and unnecessary dramatization of human conflicts, should really focus on the science. Those moments really dragged down the episode, in my opinion.
:shame:

That is the oddest pairing I have seen for a while...Seth McFarlane and Brannon Braga (Enterprise). HUH? That is like pairing up Spike Lee and Stephen Spielberg.

If McFarlane being in this thing is going to be a regular element with the cartoons, Im out. :icon_mad:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
So it looks like Neil will actually be hosting a weekly show called 'Star Talk' according to this article. The article also states that he might be doing it with Bill Nye.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-1-8/neil-degrasse-tysons-about-be-your-tv-every-week-once-again

Yesterday at the Television Critics Association press tour the National Geographic Channel announced that Tyson will host a weekly late-night TV series called Star Talk. The show will debut this April, and will tape before a live studio audience at New York City's Hayden Planetarium (where Tyson is the director).

“Cosmos allowed us to share the awesome power of the universe with a global audience in ways that we never thought possible,” Tyson said. “To be able to continue to spread wonder and excitement through Star Talk, which is a true passion project for me, is beyond exciting. And National Geographic Channel is the perfect home as we continue to explore the universe.”

Star Talk the TV series will be an expansion of sorts of Tyson's Star Talk podcast, which merges science, comedy and pop culture through interviews with everyone from John Oliver to Buzz Aldrin. Tyson hasn't finalized the complete format of the TV series, but did say that he plans to include a one-minute rant each week, in the vein of Andy Rooney's famous 60 Minutes segments, from fellow science icon Bill Nye. For National Geographic, the series is an opportunitynot only to build on Tyson's existing popularity, but to add something unique to their network that's also in keeping with their educational programming.

"We continue to bolster our programming with series and event specials that are brand definitional, and Star Talk is the perfect opportunity to offer our audience an edgy, late-night alternative with the credibility and authenticity that are the hallmarks of our network," National Geographic Channel CEO Courteney Monroe said.

So, this spring, get ready to stay up late with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

(Via THR)​

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
but why late night?

oh i know,don't want to step on quality like:

(guy reminds me of a cross between TOM BOMBADIL and BIGFOOT)

I did not even play the video, and just from looking at him I trust him. :) He has a kind, friendly face which does not look weathered from hate and bigotry. Unlike Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I did not even play the video, and just from looking at him I trust him. :) He has a kind, friendly face which does not look weathered from hate and bigotry. Unlike Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty.

yeah--all i know of the guy is from the commercials

they try to say he was some california businessman or something,etc

he got tired of city life and went to the woods of Washington state

blah,blah da-blah, blah

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
yeah--all i know of the guy is from the commercials

they try to say he was some california businessman or something,etc

he got tired of city life and went to the woods of Washington state

blah,blah da-blah, blah

I've watched a couple episodes of Mick Dodge and although it was typical reality show silliness it wasn't horrible. The guy comes off more as an aged hippy who believes in a "live and let live" type of philosophy. The show is definitely not a southern redneck masturbation fest thankfully.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I've watched a couple episodes of Mick Dodge and although it was typical reality show silliness it wasn't horrible. The guy comes off more as an aged hippy who believes in a "live and let live" type of philosophy. The show is definitely not a southern redneck masturbation fest thankfully.

hey you "own it (here)" now! :love_heart:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I watched the video. :) This guy is a true naturist. He has re-connected with Nature and is walking the walk...barefooted. I like him. He is genuinely happy and free and it is very refreshing. Whereas Phil Robertson makes duck calls to lure sucks out so he can murd...uh...shoot them, this guy might make a duck call to say hello to them. Big difference.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

The real bigots are the leftists who hate people like Phil Robertson.
--- merged: Jan 15, 2015 8:50 AM ---
I watched the video. :) This guy is a true naturist. He has re-connected with Nature and is walking the walk...barefooted. I like him. He is genuinely happy and free and it is very refreshing. Whereas Phil Robertson makes duck calls to lure sucks out so he can murd...uh...shoot them, this guy might make a duck call to say hello to them. Big difference.

Do you eat meat? If so, then why is hunting murder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The real bigots are the leftists who hate people like Phil Robertson.
--- merged: Jan 15, 2015 at 12:50 AM ---

Do you eat meat? If so, then why is hunting murder.

When you hunt and dont eat what you kill, its murder (killing for sport). What is that? Never understood "sport" killing. When you hunt a specific prey and eat what you kill, that is hunting. As far as Phil Roberson, his homophobia makes him a bigot and his ultra religious beliefs make him a far right winger. He has blowing rights with the Tea Party dog whistle. Im a moderate conservative, and he is far right of me. He lacks sophistication and intellect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Never watched duck d even once . Only hear about it in the media .:smiley-015: My older brother is a redneck though and I think he watches it lol !!!

:) :) :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

so since last night i checked out some more of MIck Dodge

he is a killer as well... eats roadkill animals and uses some of the left overs as bait to catch crabs (the ones you eat not the ones he probably already has) from tidal pools

The whole thing just has a ring of falseness and setup to it as with so much of today's 'reality' shows , not my kind of show

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so since last night i checked out some more of MIck Dodge

he is a killer as well... eats roadkill animals and uses some of the left overs as bait to catch crabs (the ones you eat not the ones he probably already has) from tidal pools

The whole thing just has a ring of falseness and setup to it as with so much of today's 'reality' shows , not my kind of show

Read that again....he eats ROADKILL animals. He does not kill them. You have to kill to eat, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The falseness is pretending that we are in Nature with him as he lives his life. Other than that, what do you expect? Duck Dynasty is nothing but fakeness. Nothing real about the Robertsons or the show. How does Phil Roberson get on the headline for a Tea Party political rally? Why is he representing a demographic?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Never watched duck d even once . Only hear about it in the media .:smiley-015: My older brother is a redneck though and I think he watches it lol !!!

:) :) :)

There is no "redneck area" within 100 miles of me here in Redondo. The rednecks who live in the city tend to be restricted to the trailer parks east of me, and they rarely venture out of them. They mostly live in Lomita and east Torrance in the trailer parks there. But the backwoods types like Phil Robertson dont exist in Southern California. There is no habitat for them, and definitely no "huntin grounds". There is no way in hell I am going to watch some moron making duck calls and toting a rifle with all that beard and long hair and camo all at once on a single person. None of them have any class.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked Cosmos better when Carl Sagan was doing it. Somehow the new one seems way dumbed down. As though it were designed to be watched in middle school with a teacher. There are special steps taken to minimize "technobabble" so that those who are not science-oriented can easily understand it. I get that, but it approaches a children's science show to me somehow.