Cosmos on Fox

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes it did, but it was the look of the high speed version in where I got the impression from.

nav4.gif

Just at the wrong angle, naturally since the one on Cosmos is well vertical :P

Yes! There it is! By George, I think you've got it! :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So what does everyone think? So far, so good I say. I can see how actual scientists may have found it perhaps a bit too dumb downed for the rest of us though :smiley-laughing011:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Just gonna copy paste what I wrote elsewhere:

I saw it, was disappointed by how superficial it was in certain aspects. And was very disappointed with the devotion of about 10-15 mins to that priest guy. It felt wholly unnecessary and only served to antagonize, I felt. I dislike certain religions for certain aspects of it, including some of their history. However, I felt that entire segment could and should have been cut. It felt counterproductive. You don’t promote scientific thinking and science in general by antagonizing other people’s way of thinking. You would do better to show how you develop that thinking and why it has significantly opened up the universe to us. I don’t know…hope the rest of the show isn’t like that.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just watched it . Yes the priest thing was just plain sad and went on a bit too long but I think it showed how closed minds kept mankind from accelerating his understanding of the universe .
Having the references to Carl Sagan's meeting with Neil was very enjoyable :) :) :) . Look how Neil became a Scientist who can explains things in a simple way .
I also enjoyed the Cosmic Calender example . It definitely gave me a better understanding of time and how monstrously huge and infinite the Universe is ,,,. We in our lifetime are not even a millisecond in that calender when you start to think about it !!!

Dam it's big :eek-new::eek-new::eek-new:

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I did find that it took a hell of a long time to get going ,,,. The credits were on the screen what seemed like 10 minutes

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I saw it, was disappointed by how superficial it was in certain aspects. And was very disappointed with the devotion of about 10-15 mins to that priest guy. It felt wholly unnecessary and only served to antagonize, I felt. I dislike certain religions for certain aspects of it, including some of their history. However, I felt that entire segment could and should have been cut. It felt counterproductive. You don’t promote scientific thinking and science in general by antagonizing other people’s way of thinking. You would do better to show how you develop that thinking and why it has significantly opened up the universe to us. I don’t know…hope the rest of the show isn’t like that.

But one has to remember- back then it was largely "clergy" that was advancing science by questioning the religion they were in service to. If not for them (they were pretty much who passed for "educated" in the western world then as well) it may have taken quite awhile to challenge beliefs as lay people were absolutely horrified to challenge the Church.

I found it a bit remarkable that the mention/suggestion of climate change made it on a FOX network--some other comments he made that didn't seem to square with the perceived FOX notion as well

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I did find that it took a hell of a long time to get going ,,,. The credits were on the screen what seemed like 10 minutes

Well Brannon Braga had to make sure he got his cred...:rolleye0014:

When those of you scientifically inclined watch this show, I am sure you get the same hair pulling ambitions that I sometimes do when I watch the "history" channel :icon_lol:

B

Backstep

That part was pure Sagan.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
But one has to remember- back then it was largely "clergy" that was advancing science by questioning the religion they were in service to. If not for them (they were pretty much who passed for "educated" in the western world then as well) it may have taken quite awhile to challenge beliefs as lay people were absolutely horrified to challenge the Church.
Shhh, don't let the truth get in the way.
:lol:
I found it a bit remarkable that the mention/suggestion of climate change made it on a FOX network--some other comments he made that didn't seem to square with the perceived FOX notion as well
Fox is not all Faux news dude :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

I don't know, I think it's more that the Church funded and/or were patrons of various pursuits, of which included scientific pursuits. And being members of the dominant religion of the time and pursuing the sciences doesn't really indicate a necessary dependency of sorts, to me. But I see what you are saying. They had the money and were able to fund those centers of education.

Some things I liked from the episode, the end bit where Neil was recalling his meeting with Sagan at 17. Loved that little story, nice to see how he encouraged him. Take note tv land and movie land, that's how most scientists are, not egomaniacal and hungry for fame, fortune, and glory. Just humble, encouraging, and fascinated/humbled by the wonders in the universe. Screw Walking Dead and Syfy with their dumb idiots being passed off as scientists.

I wonder if they're going to delve into relativity (time dilation and contraction) and quantum stuff. That cosmic time scale thing they did was kinda alright, the analogy with the calendar was a bit much, but if it conveyed a better understanding to some people, then it's cool. Also, I yelled out fuck out loud when I saw Braga's name. Damnit. At least, there are no characters in the show.

I kinda like the ship design. How it rotates and whatnot. But still need more hard science, especially when you're allotted the visual component that you have and budget so as to be able to convey a lot of cool stuff. Would be cool if they show what hydrostatic equilibrium is and Haumea, the elongation it has. How the sun doesn't just explode and the balance/equilibrium it is under, what contributes to it. How certain "particles" in mainstream science are just manifestations of "field" effects and not real particles, just virtual particles. Lots of opportunities. But I get the feeling all the science is being dumbed down on the show and targeting a very specific crowd.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't know, I think it's more that the Church funded and/or were patrons of various pursuits, of which included scientific pursuits. And being members of the dominant religion of the time and pursuing the sciences doesn't really indicate a necessary dependency of sorts, to me. But I see what you are saying. They had the money and were able to fund those centers of education.

Some things I liked from the episode, the end bit where Neil was recalling his meeting with Sagan at 17. Loved that little story, nice to see how he encouraged him. Take note tv land and movie land, that's how most scientists are, not egomaniacal and hungry for fame, fortune, and glory. Just humble, encouraging, and fascinated/humbled by the wonders in the universe. Screw Walking Dead and Syfy with their dumb idiots being passed off as scientists.

I wonder if they're going to delve into relativity (time dilation and contraction) and quantum stuff. That cosmic time scale thing they did was kinda alright, the analogy with the calendar was a bit much, but if it conveyed a better understanding to some people, then it's cool. Also, I yelled out fuck out loud when I saw Braga's name. Damnit. At least, there are no characters in the show.

I kinda like the ship design. How it rotates and whatnot. But still need more hard science, especially when you're allotted the visual component that you have and budget so as to be able to convey a lot of cool stuff. Would be cool if they show what hydrostatic equilibrium is and Haumea, the elongation it has. How the sun doesn't just explode and the balance/equilibrium it is under, what contributes to it. How certain "particles" in mainstream science are just manifestations of "field" effects and not real particles, just virtual particles. Lots of opportunities. But I get the feeling all the science is being dumbed down on the show and targeting a very specific crowd.

I think that beyond Dyson and the others obviously love of science, that one of the show's main ;missions; is to fire up the imaginations and minds of young people and encourage them to take up math and science fields of study

the us lags far behind in the numbers of math and science students at college-this is a small way (and smart way) to try and stem that degradation

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol you should see the graduate students in physics and math, mostly Asians. lol, the math ones often have a better command of the English language than people born here, accent and all.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
lol you should see the graduate students in physics and math, mostly Asians. lol, the math ones often have a better command of the English language than people born here, accent and all.

I had a few Gen Studies course with ppl not even in the Human Behavior field--like BSN's (nurses), Petroleum Engineering, Education-all native born Americans, who were terrible at reading and spelling. In a Lit class, the proff liked us to take turns reading aloud-a few kids, each time their turn came- I swear skipped like every 12th word. Embarrassing. "Oddly enough (I say sarcastically)" they were also the ones who had some strange conceptions in History and Gen ED PoliSci class as well.

Got to love the new Elementary to HS curriculum hey?! Really prepping the USA workforce with 'winners'

B

Backstep

I had a few Gen Studies course with ppl not even in the Human Behavior field--like BSN's (nurses), Petroleum Engineering, Education-all native born Americans, who were terrible at reading and spelling. In a Lit class, the proff liked us to take turns reading aloud-a few kids, each time their turn came- I swear skipped like every 12th word. Embarrassing. "Oddly enough (I say sarcastically)" they were also the ones who had some strange conceptions in History and Gen ED PoliSci class as well.

Got to love the new Elementary to HS curriculum hey?! Really prepping the USA workforce with 'winners'

No child left behind has done its work as intended.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Facebook, texting, twitter, and all of that also isn't helping.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Neil is much easier to listen to than sagan ever was (the man defined pompus ass) but yes, too dumbed down for anyone with a hard science degree. now if only it would actually explain the scientific process so layman could understand and see why global warming being "settled science" is pure bs! ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Neil is much easier to listen to than sagan ever was (the man defined pompus ass) but yes, too dumbed down for anyone with a hard science degree. now if only it would actually explain the scientific process so layman could understand and see why global warming being "settled science" is pure bs! ;)