Cosmos on Fox

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not on out here for a couple more days :(

I haven't seen it either, but since others here have, I will download it. I would have to unblock my TV for Fox to watch it broadcast, and I am unwilling to do that (because of the commercials). I will post my comments after watching it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OK, saw it last night.
The ship: Incorperates elements of "slave 1" and a B-wing when in flight, but the metallic look is all Flight of the navigator. :P

Content: Yes, it is dumbed down to an extent, but as I would think the goal of the series is to re-spark the human imagination in science I would say it is heavily directed towards teens who may be wondering what to get into in the future at school, so the format is sorta understandable.

The Priest bit: I don't think it antagonizes anyone with any intent, it's telling the history of the birth of our more modern view of cosmology, and if you want to get pissy about your history, you are a joke anyway.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Eh don't think it was really telling the history of blah blah. If it did, then it would have mentioned the development of the scientific aspects and discoveries that marked the transition from geocentric to heliocentric. There were Greeks that proposed heliocentric long before Copernicus. Other astrophysical discoveries happened that put into question the geocentric model. Instead, it focused on the religious persecution side of things.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If he was being persecuted for those beliefs, they probably would have, instead he was being persecuted for thinking outside our own little solar system and it's heirachial structure. Yes there were other advances they could have gone into more, but they were focussing on the greater cosmology.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Liked the previous episode. Was good. Had no idea about tardigrade, guess roaches aren't the most fit ones.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, FFS, are these people for real? Read the Tweets. WTF are those people smoking?

BAHAHAHA!

Capture.PNG

"militant Anti-Creator Evolutionists"? :shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024::icon_clap:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Liked the previous episode. Was good. Had no idea about tardigrade, guess roaches aren't the most fit ones.
The second ep was more "up my alley" since it dealt with more anthro-centric issues and evolution

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm still hung up on these fuckers:

tardigrade.jpg

Almost straight out of sci-fi. I liked the evolution to tree analogy as well. They did that thing very well. Titan really is following along the lines of Earth 4-3 billion yrs ago. Primordial life is likely going to start up soon. I hope we don't interfere in the development of that planet so we can monitor the progress of life there if that happens.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm still hung up on these fuckers:

View attachment 29619

Almost straight out of sci-fi. I liked the evolution to tree analogy as well. They did that thing very well. Titan really is following along the lines of Earth 4-3 billion yrs ago. Primordial life is likely going to start up soon. I hope we don't interfere in the development of that planet so we can monitor the progress of life there if that happens.

Didn't he refer to them as "water bears"?

You know that if we get the capability to do so, we (humans) will have orbiting "siphoning stations" around titan sucking up all of that natural gas. People with growing space capabilities like China and India, would have no reservations in doing so. Though, if we ever want to be able to more effectively explore and travel in our solar system we will have to exploit those of off world resources; gas (methane), helium, hydrogen and rare metals found on moons and asteroids will all be needed to effectively build vehicles off world (so as to circumvent the issue of gravitational escape) for more economically construction

I can see the "Want ad" now--"Hundreds of laborers needed to man extraction and refining platforms in near Titan orbit..." Of course, then as now, we will still be exploiting the chronically exploitable--uneducated whites and blacks, migrant workers, low wage seekers from the equatorial latitude nations, etc
--------------------------------
The evolution tree was done quite nicely; these are the situations where I truly appreciate the use of SFX, they are a prime component to such a presentation.

To draw in another thread--this show is to the "pedestrian's (or child's)" understanding of science and to grow its appreciation, as VIKINGS is to factual history. Yes it is dramatized and put in a pretty package, but if it gets the avg shrub or kid away from their XBOX for a minute , then the tactics are well used.

Freaking embarrassing is that in places like most of Europe, China, S Korea and Japan-you could get a kid to watch a show like COSMOS even if Tyson was doing nothing but standing at a podium and no SFX were used--they would watch because they still respect education and science. Here (and parts of Europe) you have to dress it up like a whore and pimp it out to get ppl to watch.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

You know that if we get the capability to do so, we (humans) will have orbiting "siphoning stations" around titan sucking up all of that natural gas. People with growing space capabilities like China and India, would have no reservations in doing so.

Well, that makes absolutely no sense. If we have the technology to harness the type of fuel and energy to get us to Titan, wtf would we want with natural gas from Titan? Methane, no less. :icon_lol:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

You know that if we get the capability to do so, we (humans) will have orbiting "siphoning stations" around titan sucking up all of that natural gas. People with growing space capabilities like China and India, would have no reservations in doing so. Though, if we ever want to be able to more effectively explore and travel in our solar system we will have to exploit those of off world resources; gas (methane), helium, hydrogen and rare metals found on moons and asteroids will all be needed to effectively build vehicles off world (so as to circumvent the issue of gravitational escape) for more economically construction

I can see the "Want ad" now--"Hundreds of laborers needed to man extraction and refining platforms in near Titan orbit..." Of course, then as now, we will still be exploiting the chronically exploitable--uneducated whites and blacks, migrant workers, low wage seekers from the equatorial latitude nations, etc
--------------------------------
The evolution tree was done quite nicely; these are the situations where I truly appreciate the use of SFX, they are a prime component to such a presentation.

To draw in another thread--this show is to the "pedestrian's (or child's)" understanding of science and to grow its appreciation, as VIKINGS is to factual history. Yes it is dramatized and put in a pretty package, but if it gets the avg shrub or kid away from their XBOX for a minute , then the tactics are well used.

Freaking embarrassing is that in places like most of Europe, China, S Korea and Japan-you could get a kid to watch a show like COSMOS even if Tyson was doing nothing but standing at a podium and no SFX were used--they would watch because they still respect education and science. Here (and parts of Europe) you have to dress it up like a whore and pimp it out to get ppl to watch.
Yeah, had to look up their real name after I watched the show, called tardigrades.

I don't know if they'll be exploiting Titan anytime soon. Think they'd rather work on trying to get minerals from asteroids first. Some asteroids are rare mineral rich. Hard part is definitely getting there in the first place. But yeah, I could definitely see Titan being exploited in mankind's future. That's what we do.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, that makes absolutely no sense. If we have the technology to harness the type of fuel and energy to get us to Titan, wtf would we want with natural gas from Titan? Methane, no less. :icon_lol:

As I said, to use out there-in conjunction with other resources found-to create/fuel devices and craft to exploit items like asteroids and other bodies for things like gold and rare earth minerals

Not to bring the gas back here--that would be silly (but then again, a lot of what we do is, isn't?)

Bluce Ree

As I said, to use out there-in conjunction with other resources found-to create/fuel devices and craft to exploit items like asteroids and other bodies for things like gold and rare earth minerals

Not to bring the gas back here--that would be silly (but then again, a lot of what we do is, isn't?)

What's the practical application for methane in space?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You can generate power from methane/methanol with a proton-exchange fuel cell. This can be used to power an ion propulsion system and ship systems. This would allow a ship to make a trip with fuel only one way and return with a refill of methane from a probe launched and retrieved by the ship at Titan...just one scenario. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I would imagine it could be used to power "factories" in space

And

WHAT HE SAID -
-
-
You can generate power from methane/methanol with a proton-exchange fuel cell. This can be used to power an ion propulsion system and ship systems. This would allow a ship to make a trip with fuel only one way and return with a refill of methane from a probe launched and retrieved by the ship at Titan...just one scenario. :)

See, I knew you could do something with it....:smiley-laughing021:

Bluce Ree

Too slow. Ion propulsion is the equivalent of pissing in the wind while sitting on a cart.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Too slow. Ion propulsion is the equivalent of pissing in the wind while sitting on a cart.

It does not need to be fast. :) It just needs to be able to provide continuous thrust and it can eventually reach close to the speed of light. Chemical rockets are speed limited inherently. The potential thrust from an ion engine is theoretically unlimited:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/fs21grc.html

Capture.PNG

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Doesn't that have something to do with relatavistc speed in space? I mean, if you accelerate at the rate of 2km per second per second, at some point you are going to be going insanlely fast, yes??