Conan the Barbarian (Jason Momoa)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
word of advice.. dont watch it!! its TERRIBLE!! momoa SUCKS and so does the story script and cinematography its really one of the worst movies EVER!! and imo Arnolds original is TONNES better.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
OMNI is right - if anything he is understating how bad this film is.

Really everything about the film came out wrong. From Jason Momoa (who I really liked in SGA as Ronon) turning in a poor performance to the script to the visuals. But perhaps the worst part was that it had the wrong feel and atmosphere - it felt exactly like a typical Swords and Sorcery tale. It in fact was almost exactly like a "quest" out of a D&D game. and for Conan the Barbarian that is completely wrong.

By comparison the original (with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sandahl Bergman) felt different - it actually did a good job of evoking the Hyborean fantasy world in Robert E Howard's stories. Plus James Earl Jones's performance as Thulsa Doom was great as was the musical score - it all contributed to making that movie unique - sadly Conan the Destroyer did not follow in those steps but instead changed everything to be like D&D - bad move.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
OMNI is right - if anything he is understating how bad this film is.[...]

You mean ... *gasp!* ... OMNI is being positive?!? :D

OMNI

i cant really place my finger on EXACTLY what is wrong with this movie but if i had to guess id say pretty much everything sucked about it and if i was Jason Momoa id be ASHAMED to have ever been a part of it... tbh id label this movie as a career killer for momoa its really THAT bad.

Bluce Ree

i cant really place my finger on EXACTLY what is wrong with this movie but if i had to guess id say pretty much everything sucked about it and if i was Jason Momoa id be ASHAMED to have ever been a part of it... tbh id label this movie as a career killer for momoa its really THAT bad.

According to his IMDB, looks like he's pretty much done with any sort of leading role in movies.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
His fault - he should have recognized the script was a turkey and refused to do it without changes.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Is it facepalm rewatch worthy?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes. It is the same class as Tank Girl and Barb Wire...

OMNI

His fault - he should have recognized the script was a turkey and refused to do it without changes.
agreed. but i guess when coming from a somewhat cheesey syfy show you cant really make that many demands.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Money talks and I'm sure in Momoa's case it was all about the money.

OMNI

honestly i wouldve probably gone for the money myself.. to bad if its a career killer tho... hope he got payed well :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
honestly i wouldve probably gone for the money myself.. to bad if its a career killer tho... hope he got payed well :P

Let's be honest here, did anyone see Momoa as a big time legit actor anyway? He peaked with "Ronon" in terms of being a thespian.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Let's be honest here, did anyone see Momoa as a big time legit actor anyway? He peaked with "Ronon" in terms of being a thespian.

let's be more honest...most of the actors in SGA were terribly under-utilized (except for Mckay who was overused! :smiley-015:) were merely window dressing to mallozzi's love affair with the mckay character! I doubt we saw any where near what any of the other actors were capable of.

OMNI

let's be more honest...most of the actors in SGA were terribly under-utilized (except for Mckay who was overused! :smiley-015:) were merely window dressing to mallozzi's love affair with the mckay character! I doubt we saw any where near what any of the other actors were capable of.
yeah sure you keep thinking that ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Recently saw Rachel Luttrell in an NCIS ep...she did more than merely serve as part of the scenery- made a very beleivable officer. I will always maintain the SGA actors were under-utilized...well with the exception of McKay-- there was too much exposure there! :tongue:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is it facepalm rewatch worthy?

You have not seen it? Just....:facepalm:. I would also add a bolded YES to the question of it being facepalm rewatch worthy. In fact, since it is on Netflix, we should have one for this movie!

Bluce Ree

To grunt, or not to grunt: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to grunt
The shots and bolts of outrageous firearms,
Or to take arms against a sea of nonsense,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we don't shower
The hamper and the thousand year old socks
That decay in my hair, too, 'tis a contamination
Devoutly to be wash'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; No tug;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have soaked out sheets off this nocturnal emission,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
SGA-S2-RD-Tower.jpg

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
You have not seen it? Just....:facepalm:. I would also add a bolded YES to the question of it being facepalm rewatch worthy. In fact, since it is on Netflix, we should have one for this movie!

Nope I haven't seen it yet. When I heard it wasn't better than the original I didn't bother. I just sent a PM to GB - maybe we can do a rewatch later this week. :)