Colony 2016

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
bolded= thats what the trailers for 5th Wave also seem to imply; less on the alien invasion and more on the family in question dealing with it. these both seem to me to be a HUNGER GAMES + V situation, more or less.

Wait...this show looks GOOD! This is way way WAY better than anything you are going to see in Colony. It looks really good! I will watch this for sure. It could suck, but that trailer is hella awesome IMO!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sounds more and more like the 5th wave trailer

i guess now i don't need to see either one! :daniel_new_anime021:

I just watched that trailer....you hate it? Then you will not make it through 5 minutes of The Colony. :smiley-laughing021:

At least in the 5th Wave, we see alien tech, spaceships, military and some sort of overarcing story not just involving a couple and their kids. The blonde chick is obviously being pushed out there as some sort of draw (cause she is hot?). It also seems aimed at millenials. But it did not look angsty or soapy from that trailer.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wait...this show looks GOOD! This is way way WAY better than anything you are going to see in Colony. It looks really good! I will watch this for sure. It could suck, but that trailer is hella awesome IMO!

its a movie

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
its a movie

Actually better...if it sucks, it's a one off and we never have to see it again. :) I will definitely watch this one.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Actually better...if it sucks, it's a one off and we never have to see it again. :) I will definitely watch this one.

call me a cynic

but i'd be willing to bet that the alien action we see in the trailer is probably pretty close to ALL of the alien action we will see in 5th wave

in the trailer, you can see where apparently the aliens have taken over human bodies and so- "bam" instant low budget for SFX!

just say the humans are aliens and TPTB are of the hook

I would like to be wrong though

go see it and let us know :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
call me a cynic

but i'd be willing to bet that the alien action we see in the trailer is probably pretty close to ALL of the alien action we will see in 5th wave

in the trailer, you can see where apparently the aliens have taken over human bodies and so- "bam" instant low budget for SFX!

This movie is likely designed to serve as some sort of pilot for a show, no? I have not seen it. Does it end?

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
call me a cynic

You're not worried about the story? just the SFX?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You're not worried about the story? just the SFX?

sure, of course, the story is important

what i am getting at, is that there is another "mini-wave" of sci-fi and sci fi like films and tv shows going on now. studios are trying to cash in on it, they come up with what they can and produce it.

it just wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do so "on the cheap"=minimal alien FX and usage adds to savings when you can just use regular, un-modified actors in the 'body snatchers' modus operandi

<< i would say this mini wave,for better or worse, has been going on for a bit now. with shows like fringe, firefly, bsg,sga/sg1,etc,etc and into the current day with stuff like TWD and other non sci fi (which most viewers do not understand the genre diff anyhow) and sci fi stuff that has been coming out

it is reaching its peak now with the releases of the nuST movies and SW's films. You just know that studios without one of these "babies" in the mix are pushing hard to get their piece of the action before sci fi and sci fi-esque genre films die back again. remember all the crap sci fi movies that came out in the 70's after SW's and ST;TMP? >>

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
roflbot (1).jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

UNILAD-bad-smell-18.gif

What is it with the scrungy grimy post-Rush look? They took Tom from Falling Skies there, they have made a younger version of one in Fear The Walking Dead, they have Rick Grimes there (Grimes...get it?) Maybe, just maybe...these guys take showers and intentionally smear dirt on themselves immediately after? Hypoallergenic grime, of course. I guess they want it to become a "thing" :moody:

:P

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
sure, of course, the story is important

what i am getting at, is that there is another "mini-wave" of sci-fi and sci fi like films and tv shows going on now. studios are trying to cash in on it, they come up with what they can and produce it.

it just wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do so "on the cheap"=minimal alien FX and usage adds to savings when you can just use regular, un-modified actors in the 'body snatchers' modus operandi

<< i would say this mini wave,for better or worse, has been going on for a bit now. with shows like fringe, firefly, bsg,sga/sg1,etc,etc and into the current day with stuff like TWD and other non sci fi (which most viewers do not understand the genre diff anyhow) and sci fi stuff that has been coming out

it is reaching its peak now with the releases of the nuST movies and SW's films. You just know that studios without one of these "babies" in the mix are pushing hard to get their piece of the action before sci fi and sci fi-esque genre films die back again. remember all the crap sci fi movies that came out in the 70's after SW's and ST;TMP? >>

After the drought of scifi, even minimal SFX is fine to me, it's more important the story and plot keep on track.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
After the drought of scifi, even minimal SFX is fine to me, it's more important the story and plot keep on track.

Exactly. But when you see a show like Humans (EXCELLENT scifi show out of Britain, currently on break), which has basically no SFX, they can't make excuses for the draggy, dumb story.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

oh absolutely!!!

THE PENITENT MAN is an excellent example of next to zero SFX and a minimal cast but an excellent scifi story

---------------------------

But, this film just looks like more soapy teen angsty family drama against the backdrop of sci-fi rather then just sci fi

i may be wrong though

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just watched that trailer....you hate it? Then you will not make it through 5 minutes of The Colony. :smiley-laughing021:

At least in the 5th Wave, we see alien tech, spaceships, military and some sort of overarcing story not just involving a couple and their kids. The blonde chick is obviously being pushed out there as some sort of draw (cause she is hot?). It also seems aimed at millenials. But it did not look angsty or soapy from that trailer.

Nobody saw the 5th Wave movie? I just watched it and it was good but they set it up for a series (by not ending the story). It is a shameless disguise for a pilot episode of a 5th Wave Series (which I hope we never get). The movie was good, but is formulaic and uses the same foundation story as Falling Skies, except more focused on survival and trust. The characters are all too young, and the movie is obviously aimed directly at Millenials. It's worth watching, even with the open ending.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Nobody saw the 5th Wave movie? I just watched it and it was good but they set it up for a series (by not ending the story). It is a shameless disguise for a pilot episode of a 5th Wave Series (which I hope we never get). The movie was good, but is formulaic and uses the same foundation story as Falling Skies, except more focused on survival and trust. The characters are all too young, and the movie is obviously aimed directly at Millenials. It's worth watching, even with the open ending.

in only seeing a couple trailers, i intro'd this movie in this thread and said much the same about it based on speculation from how it looked: to much visual similarity with FALLING SKIES, DIVERGENT, HUNGER GAMES, ETC

just a teen angst piece disguised in a "sci fi" setting

do they do the classic DISNEY/NICKELODEON thing and make the adults look stupid and incapable of accomplishing anything?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
in only seeing a couple trailers, i intro'd this movie in this thread and said much the same about it based on speculation from how it looked: to much visual similarity with FALLING SKIES, DIVERGENT, HUNGER GAMES, ETC

just a teen angst piece disguised in a "sci fi" setting

do they do the classic DISNEY/NICKELODEON thing and make the adults look stupid and incapable of accomplishing anything?

They literally kill them all off. They used a plague trope, then they literally executed the rest. Cant get more direct than that!