Colony 2016

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Cancellation turd waiting to happen. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For such a longish trailer, I still don't get what the premise is. Aliens? Why is the city walled off? Why is the trailer highlighting the interpersonal drama and not a cool premise? Lori from TWD is in it. :( Kids are a central plot device. I don't know what to think of this yet.

Last edited:

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I watched the pilot, but I'm still not sure what I think of it. Not sure if I'll watch anymore, but since it will be on at the same time as Elementary I'd have to catch it online later.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Larry Niven was offered a job as a screenwriter for the original V. However, he turned it down because he could not see why an alien species would invade Earth for the water when water ice was free for the taken around Saturn without any pesky natives shooting at them.

Wikipedia article on Saturn said:
Saturn is probably best known for the system of planetary rings that makes it visually unique. The rings extend from 6,630 km to 120,700 km outward from Saturn's equator, average approximately 20 meters in thickness and are composed of 93% water ice with traces of tholin impurities and 7% amorphous carbon. The particles that make up the rings range in size from specks of dust up to 10 m. While the other gas giants also have ring systems, Saturn's is the largest and most visible.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like the fact that Legendary is involved. They have a good track record in these sorts of things.

I also agree that there just is not enough known yet about it. Also why L.A.? Who would want it :D ? Much better to do Milwaukee or Green Bay!

ecgordon

Star's Hero
They can have Texas if they want it.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
I like the fact that Legendary is involved. They have a good track record in these sorts of things.

I also agree that there just is not enough known yet about it. Also why L.A.? Who would want it :D ? Much better to do Milwaukee or Green Bay!

The whole of Earth is taken, the show I guess is focused on L. A. If it gets to sappy angst-y then bye bye for me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im getting this right now. I will watch it and then comment. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What's telling is that no one seems to know what the hell this show is about. That says that it's pretty much interpersonal drama.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What's telling is that no one seems to know what the hell this show is about. That says that it's pretty much interpersonal drama.

Its done. I am going to watch this right now and I will tell you what I think. I go in with no expectations! It's 8:40pm PST right now. Back in an hour!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I watched it. Ummmm, it's a soap opera with a touch of scifi and a touch of Lost. Sarah Callies adds significant MELOdrama to the show as well, complete with tears, pensive facial expressions, feigned "inner strength" and mommy duties. Essentially the same role she played in TWD except now she is a resistance member working against her husband who has just been hired to become a collaborator with her blessings. But the character development and premise development is all muddled and it tries too hard to be realistic and serious and really fails badly at it. The occupiers are obviously aliens, but we do not see them or much of their tech except small flying surveillance drones and of course the huge wall around Los Angeles along with "Exclusion Zones" within the walled city. The scenery is standard normal city scenes, and middle class neighborhoods (cheap and easy location shots). Beverly Hills/Bel Air is home to the "Occupation" which is a human collaborator force helping the occupying aliens after being promised good things in return. We do not see any aliens or spaceships or see any real alien tech. Just a bunch of people dressed in pseudo paramilitary police gear and rich collaborators. It's like the premise of the newest "V" with the scrungy Fear The Walking Dead style and unappealing characters, with a few concept twists and no ships or obvious aliens. The way they have set it up, we are probably NEVER going to see them. Meh.

That was probably the last episode of this I will watch. I would pass on this one. By all means, watch this pilot and decide for yourselves though!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
hey wasn't that the guy from intelligence? yep seems to be a jinx for a show....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
hey wasn't that the guy from intelligence? yep seems to be a jinx for a show....

He's fast becoming the Summer Glau of new TV shows. ;)

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Yeah, he really killed Lost...after six seasons.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
He's fast becoming the Summer Glau of new TV shows. ;)

Somebody bad mouthing "James Sawyer"? Those are fighting words. Mind you most of the other LOST actors have had their careers slip into neutral after their favourite paycheck disappeared. Even Micheal Emerson's show looks to be in trouble.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, he really killed Lost...after six seasons.

Please tell me you did not actually choose to watch all six seasons! :) It was interesting for the first 4 episodes, then I got lost. :icon_rotflmao:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan