Cauliflower "steaks"? Why do vegetarians/vegans constantly try to replace the names of foods?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Okay, well then he is still eating a balanced diet. I have nothing against vegetarians, but I kinda have a huge problem with vegans. A lacto/ovo vegetarian is getting potent animal proteins in those eggs especially. The dairy has a bunch of great proteins as well as healthy saturated fats from animal sources. It looks to me from your chart that everyone being called "vegetarian" are actually basically omnivores (except they have restricted their "meat" to eggs). They are eating plant and animal foods, which is a balanced diet.

When added to conventional grains, Amaranth provides a complete protein (all of the amino acids needed by humans).

The Aztecs used to mix amaranth seeds with the blood of human sacrifices.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When added to conventional grains, Amaranth provides a complete protein (all of the amino acids needed by humans).

The Aztecs used to mix amaranth seeds with the blood of human sacrifices.

Quinoa is also an ancient seed pseudo-grain. I have started eating it recently in place of rice. I have found ways to have it for breakfast as well (in omelettes, in quinoa "cakes" which replace hash browns, in baked quinoa/cheese/egg "muffins"). It is delicious and has a neutral taste like rice but better. Amaranth and quinoa look so similar that it is hard to tell them apart. Nutritionally, amaranth is not quite a complete protein source because it lacks leucine and threonine (which quinoa has). Like you said, added to other grains it gets a complete amino acid profile. Quinoa, however, is a complete protein by itself.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, the couple I was talking about earlier in this thread are no longer a couple. See this comment: http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...replace-the-names-of-foods.27753/#post-881121

I just got off the phone with the guy who gave up so much to be with this woman, and he is very distraught. He decided to get another dog to replace the one that died in December, and came home with the puppy last week. Like before, his girlfriend refused to allow the guy to have meat based dog food in the house. His solution was to take the dog out to the dog park and feed him there. He did not think it would be a problem, but the girlfriend still had issues with it. The final straw was his little Nissan Frontier truck. This girl drives a Nissan Leaf and she wanted him to dump the truck for a hybrid or an electric. HUH??? He was packing while he was on the phone with me and she was yelling at him telling him to get off the phone and listen to her. A MESS!

I hate being in the middle of shit like this. :(. At first I thought he was going to ask to crash at my place for a while until he could get his bearings, but evidently he had already hooked up a new apartment (this was brewing already I guess...). This woman is SCARY. She has become a vegan fanatic and she looks horrible. Pasty, not skinny but pallid. Like the skin of a corpse. Lifeless eyes and "dead" looking hair. He isnt looking too good either. :( She is sending me texts telling me not to keep calling my buddy, but he is the one calling me! Something tells me he is not going to be vegan anymore. :)

Oh well, no more cauliflower steaks, or faux "burgers" or cheeseless, meatless pizza!

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Take your buddy out for a steak dinner! :icon_lol:

Seriously though, watch out for that crazy chick. Clearly she's looking for someone to blame for the broken relationship. People like that never blame the person in the mirror.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Well, the couple I was talking about earlier in this thread are no longer a couple. See this comment: http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...replace-the-names-of-foods.27753/#post-881121

I just got off the phone with the guy who gave up so much to be with this woman, and he is very distraught. He decided to get another dog to replace the one that died in December, and came home with the puppy last week. Like before, his girlfriend refused to allow the guy to have meat based dog food in the house. His solution was to take the dog out to the dog park and feed him there. He did not think it would be a problem, but the girlfriend still had issues with it. The final straw was his little Nissan Frontier truck. This girl drives a Nissan Leaf and she wanted him to dump the truck for a hybrid or an electric. HUH??? He was packing while he was on the phone with me and she was yelling at him telling him to get off the phone and listen to her. A MESS!

I hate being in the middle of shit like this. :(. At first I thought he was going to ask to crash at my place for a while until he could get his bearings, but evidently he had already hooked up a new apartment (this was brewing already I guess...). This woman is SCARY. She has become a vegan fanatic and she looks horrible. Pasty, not skinny but pallid. Like the skin of a corpse. Lifeless eyes and "dead" looking hair. He isnt looking to good either. :( She is sending me texts telling me not to keep calling my buddy, but he is the one calling me! Something tells me he is not going to be vegan anymore. :)

Oh well, no more cauliflower steaks, or faux "burgers" or cheeseless, meatless pizza!

Vegetarians only say that they are healthier than omnivores.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Vegetarians only say that they are healthier than omnivores.

Veganism has a nefarious hook. If somebody who is unhealthy and obese starts on a vegan diet, they get healthier (not because of veganism but because of being forced to choose healthier foods). They get healthier than they were and they lose weight. For a diet PLAN, it is not a bad thing for losing weight and gaining a healthier profile. But as a long term diet, it will destroy the body. Staying in Atkins Induction indefinitely (Phase 1) will cause the health to deteriorate. That is why it is limited to 2 weeks (or a month max).

I am annoyed mostly because these vegans are not doing it for health reasons. They think they are "saving the animals" which makes it dumb. Priuses do NOT save the environment, and veganism does not save any animals.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Take your buddy out for a steak dinner! :icon_lol:

Seriously though, watch out for that crazy chick. Clearly she's looking for someone to blame for the broken relationship. People like that never blame the person in the mirror.

He is outta there. :) He did not tell her where he moved, apparently. She thought he was at my place :happy0007:. Now, I have to make some time to talk with her tomorrow (at her request). I am not sure what to say since I do not approve of her vegan diet but have never told her that outright. I did warn my buddy about the vegan lifestyle and that it involved a political element having nothing to do with dieting, but he was blinded by her. I do not get it. She is not attractive to me at all, but to each his own! I just found out she would not let him ever wear his leather bomber jacket because it was leather? :facepalm: How do these people function?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
He is outta there. :) He did not tell her where he moved, apparently. She thought he was at my place :happy0007:. Now, I have to make some time to talk with her tomorrow (at her request). I am not sure what to say since I do not approve of her vegan diet but have never told her that outright. I did warn my buddy about the vegan lifestyle and that it involved a political element having nothing to do with dieting, but he was blinded by her. I do not get it. She is not attractive to me at all, but to each his own! I just found out she would not let him ever wear his leather bomber jacket because it was leather? :facepalm: How do these people function?

Badly, and you are gonna get a first hand look at it :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Badly, and you are gonna get a first hand look at it :lol:

I think she wants to verify that he is not staying here with me. :) I think it is not going to be a pleasant visit because she is going to ask me why I think he left her and I am going to tell her it is because of her vegan diet and stubbornness. I do not know her as well as him, but I thought she was "quaint". I am still mad at her because of the dog dying last year. It was 100% because of the vegetarian diet she forced upon the dog. Remember, she is a VEGAN, not just a vegetarian. The boyfriend was vegetarian only because of her, but it turns out she made him go vegan the time he was living there. No animal products.

I am not looking forward to this. Last time she was here she asked me why I have cats as pets (because they are supposed to be wild and free). I have never ever seen a mature adult (past age 30) act like this. They are ALWAYS young folks following trends.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think she wants to verify that he is not staying here with me. :) I think it is not going to be a pleasant visit because she is going to ask me why I think he left her and I am going to tell her it is because of her vegan diet and stubbornness.
Just tell he that he is not at your house, and you no longer have to tolerate her shit.
Let her in just before dinner and have a rack of ribs ready to eat, and if she don't like it, she can beat feet.

I do not know her as well as him, but I thought she was "quaint". I am still mad at her because of the dog dying last year. It was 100% because of the vegetarian diet she forced upon the dog. Remember, she is a VEGAN, not just a vegetarian.
No, she is a MORON, and that has nothing to do with her diet.
The boyfriend was vegetarian only because of her, but it turns out she made him go vegan the time he was living there. No animal products.
No tail is worth that.
I am not looking forward to this. Last time she was here she asked me why I have cats as pets (because they are supposed to be wild and free). I have never ever seen a mature adult (past age 30) act like this. They are ALWAYS young folks following trends.
I have, but I have never seen them be so............. militant about it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just tell he that he is not at your house, and you no longer have to tolerate her shit.
Let her in just before dinner and have a rack of ribs ready to eat, and if she don't like it, she can beat feet.

No, she is a MORON, and that has nothing to do with her diet.

No tail is worth that.

I have, but I have never seen them be so............. militant about it.

Well, I have never heard a vegan NOT cite moral reasons as being the main reason for being vegan. I think that moronic behavior comes with the territory. No vegan or vegetarian can successfully argue that either of those two diets are nutritionally complete. Having to supplement them is the most obvious proof of that, and then the scientific community and anthropology takes care of the rest. There has NEVER been a sustained vegan or vegetarian human population any time in human history. They cannot argue that veganism or vegetarianism is in any way "paleo" or "natural" for humans.

I am not going to overtly flaunt my meat eating by cooking bacon before she comes (she claims that the smell of cooking meat makes her nauseous, according to my friend). I will, however, be brutally honest. I am going to tell her that I think her vegan diet is a fad and that it is negatively impacting the non-vegan people around her. And she will get mad and probably leave (hopefully).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She will be here at 1:30pm. :shame: I told her that I have no more than one hour to meet because I have to "be somewhere". :) She just texted me to confirm her visit. Meanwhile, I cannot reach Bill! It is possible...very possible, that he hooked up with another girl! THAT sounds more like him...probably moved in with her. I will find out later Im sure.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
She will be here at 1:30pm. :shame: I told her that I have no more than one hour to meet because I have to "be somewhere". :) She just texted me to confirm her visit. Meanwhile, I cannot reach Bill! It is possible...very possible, that he hooked up with another girl! THAT sounds more like him...probably moved in with her. I will find out later Im sure.

OMG, be careful! She's not rational and clearly has mental issues.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
People text to confirm a visit??
WTF??

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, be careful! She's not rational and clearly has mental issues.
WTF??

:facepalm: This went badly. Like I assumed, she DID think he was staying with me. She asked to see my closet and my garage (presumably looking for Bill's belongings) It was the first thing she asked me. As soon as we came back inside from her inspecting my garage, I lit into her. I told her I felt insulted that she did not take my word for it that Bill was not staying here. I called her a "fatal attraction" and told her point blank that her behavior was the reason he left her. At first, I avoided the vegan issue. I concentrated on her controlling behaviors (as reported by her boyfriend), and mentioned the issue with his little truck. Then, she went there....

"I don't know why I am attracted to losers who destroy the environment and murder animals and eat their flesh"

say-what-now-o.gif

Well then. :) Naturally, that was not going to be allowed to slide. I went on to tell her that Bill told me that she was a nightmare and that her dumb vegan diet was the reason he left her along with her misguided beliefs about the environment and asked her how she felt about killing a healthy dog with it. Then I sarcastically suggested that she troll the local farmer's markets and Craigslist for a new boyfriend (I was mad at this point). Seeing that she had pissed me off made her want to leave. "I had better go, this is not going anywhere". I told her I agreed, and that I did not want her to come back or contact me in any fashion. That was that!

Still cannot contact my buddy. I sent him a text letting him know she was on the prowl for him. I thought it strange that all three of my cats hid the entire visit. Normally Siete greets everyone who comes over. He never came out at all. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WTF??

Yep, especially when the original date was made a day earlier. I have been known to suddenly cancel lunch meetings because of emergencies.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:facepalm: This went badly. Like I assumed, she DID think he was staying with me. She asked to see my closet and my garage (presumably looking for Bill's belongings) It was the first thing she asked me. As soon as we came back inside from her inspecting my garage, I lit into her. I told her I felt insulted that she did not take my word for it that Bill was not staying here. I called her a "fatal attraction" and told her point blank that her behavior was the reason he left her. At first, I avoided the vegan issue. I concentrated on her controlling behaviors (as reported by her boyfriend), and mentioned the issue with his little truck. Then, she went there....

"I don't know why I am attracted to losers who destroy the environment and murder animals and eat their flesh"

View attachment 31872

Well then. :) Naturally, that was not going to be allowed to slide. I went on to tell her that Bill told me that she was a nightmare and that her dumb vegan diet was the reason he left her along with her misguided beliefs about the environment and asked her how she felt about killing a healthy dog with it. Then I sarcastically suggested that she troll the local farmer's markets and Craigslist for a new boyfriend (I was mad at this point). Seeing that she had pissed me off made her want to leave. "I had better go, this is not going anywhere". I told her I agreed, and that I did not want her to come back or contact me in any fashion. That was that!

Still cannot contact my buddy. I sent him a text letting him know she was on the prowl for him. I thought it strange that all three of my cats hid the entire visit. Normally Siete greets everyone who comes over. He never came out at all. :)

You were more than fair to this crazy nut. Definitely ban her from your life. No good can come from associating with someone that mentally unstable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You were more than fair to this crazy nut. Definitely ban her from your life. No good can come from associating with someone that mentally unstable.

The only reason I even really know her is because of my friend (her new ex). We had crossed paths once before a while back, but no connection. She is just so self-righteous and arrogant! I think I was more pissed about her looking thoroughly in my closet and garage for Bill's stuff. I had already told the bitch that he was not staying with me and that I had not seen him. Her entire vibe while she was here was one of anger and revenge, not reconciliation or understanding. I cannot imagine how he stood her as long as he did. The only thing I like about her is that she smells like pachouli most of the time. :) She is no longer welcome here.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The only reason I even really know her is because of my friend (her new ex). We had crossed paths once before a while back, but no connection. She is just so self-righteous and arrogant! I think I was more pissed about her looking thoroughly in my closet and garage for Bill's stuff. I had already told the bitch that he was not staying with me and that I had not seen him. Her entire vibe while she was here was one of anger and revenge, not reconciliation or understanding. I cannot imagine how he stood her as long as he did. The only thing I like about her is that she smells like pachouli most of the time. :) She is no longer welcome here.

Arrogant, self-righteous people are what make the world go round.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
should have made sure to have steaks in the oven and a big rack of ribs slathered in BBQ sauce on the grill when she arrived... ;)