Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do cats mind this?

My experience with cats tells me that if they didn't like it they would simply not allow it. :) Cats come to a point with their human where there is 100% trust. That's when you can rub their belly without fear of being scratched or bitten, where you can put them in stuff and they don't struggle, and when you can pick them up and put them somewhere and they stay in place.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I find it inappropriate to dress up a cat. A cat would never choose to dress itself up even if it were capable of doing so. It's an example of humans "humanifying" animals. In my opinion it is borderline animal cruelty. No human on the planet has any way of knowing whether a cat wants to be dressed up or not, appreciates it, likes it or hates it, no matter how adorable they think it looks. They see the cat respond in a certain way to wearing the clothes and conclude that they are okay with it as long as the cats are not totally freaking out. Well, just because it is not freaking out doesn't mean that it doesn't hate it. Now if the cat was in an icecold environment where it needed clothes for protection or it would actually die, that would be a different matter. Or if it needed protection from the sun or other weather elements, ala. This is just humans being cruel to animals for entertainment value.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I find it inappropriate to dress up a cat. A cat would never choose to dress itself up even if it were capable of doing so. It's an example of humans "humanifying" animals. In my opinion it is borderline animal cruelty. No human on the planet has any way of knowing whether a cat wants to be dressed up or not, appreciates it, likes it or hates it, no matter how adorable they think it looks. They see the cat respond in a certain way to wearing the clothes and conclude that they are okay with it as long as the cats are not totally freaking out. Well, just because it is not freaking out doesn't mean that it doesn't hate it. Now if the cat was in an icecold environment where it needed clothes for protection or it would actually die, that would be a different matter. Or if it needed protection from the sun or other weather elements, ala. This is just humans being cruel to animals for entertainment value.
The other trend I also noticed is that they tend to use cucumbers as well for entertainment value. That shit scares the crap out of them.Don't use robots either or any mechanical devices. I personally don't see anything entertaining about a cat being scared to shit.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Interesting! If that video can be considered a somewhat accurate depiction then more than 50% of cats are terrified of cucumbers. Or at least when the cucumber "sneaks up" on them. I wonder if the same cats would respond as violently if the owners were holding the cucumbers in their hands. Or if it is done to them more than once, perhaps the next time they won't be as frightened. It must be some kind of instinct as I don't see any logical reason why they would fear them. You might be right about the snake thing. Then again the other half of cats gave it a sniff and ruled it out as food and just moved on.

I think it would be cruel to do this if you intentionally wanted to scare a cat. If you're gonna do it just once then it's not too bad. I am actually quite curious now whether my cats would be scared. I do have a cucumber in the fride. I also have a courgette/zucchini there by the way. It looks quite similar only a bit smaller. I wonder if that would incite a similar response. I don't want to be cruel to my cats but somehow my scientific genes are intrigued by this phenomenon.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Interesting! If that video can be considered a somewhat accurate depiction then more than 50% of cats are terrified of cucumbers. Or at least when the cucumber "sneaks up" on them. I wonder if the same cats would respond as violently if the owners were holding the cucumbers in their hands. Or if it is done to them more than once, perhaps the next time they won't be as frightened. It must be some kind of instinct as I don't see any logical reason why they would fear them. You might be right about the snake thing. Then again the other half of cats gave it a sniff and ruled it out as food and just moved on.

I think it would be cruel to do this if you intentionally wanted to scare a cat. If you're gonna do it just once then it's not too bad. I am actually quite curious now whether my cats would be scared. I do have a cucumber in the fride. I also have a courgette/zucchini there by the way. It looks quite similar only a bit smaller. I wonder if that would incite a similar response. I don't want to be cruel to my cats but somehow my scientific genes are intrigued by this phenomenon.
I don't like to 'test' stuff. If I have seen videos of it, I won't try it. Trying this sort of stuff is just evil and cruel. I love cats and animals in general and all living things. Oh yeah and here is their reactions with Robots.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well my little kitty was lying on the sofa. I took a cucumber and zucchini. Placed the zucchini near her, she just sniffed it. Threw the cucumber on the couch, nothing happened. She did see me coming of course, it is impossible to sneak up on her. This was pretty much what I would have expected in the first place.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well my little kitty was lying on the sofa. I took a cucumber and zucchini. Placed the zucchini near her, she just sniffed it. Threw the cucumber on the couch, nothing happened. She did see me coming of course, it is impossible to sneak up on her. This was pretty much what I would have expected in the first place.
If she is just very young, perhaps she is not aware of it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The other trend I also noticed is that they tend to use cucumbers as well for entertainment value. That shit scares the crap out of them.Don't use robots either or any mechanical devices. I personally don't see anything entertaining about a cat being scared to shit.

That cat was LOVING being held by his daddy. :) The cat language was pure contentment. He was probably purring his little motorboat heart out. :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

My cat boys would probably ignore it. At least one of them. My big cat might react. I am curious now!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
If she is just very young, perhaps she is not aware of it.

She's three years old, just like her big brother. They are twins. I call her little because she is about the size of a 6 months old female cat. She just doesn't get any bigger. Him on the other hand is twice her size. It's funny, when they were about 6 months old she was actually bigger than him, not by much, just a tiny bit more weight. I guess that was enough for her. She's very dainty with very thin long legs and tail. Her body's thin too but feels rather robust/compact. The big one is super soft and fluffy. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Well actually he would, they both would. They chase spiders and insects and eat them. Maybe that's in their heritage. I got them from a farm and they're probably Xth generation farm kitties. I consider that a nice little bonus because I hate bugs in my house. There are hardly any here anyway (must be the climate) but when there are they don't last long.

It's interesting how the brother and sister are so different. Maybe it's due to the polygamous nature of cats in heat. He's big she's small, he's got a fluffy and soft coat and she does not although they look very similar, he's over 50% black with white and she's over 50% white with black, he doesn't mind being picked up at all and she doesn't like it one bit. Neither of them have ever scratched anyone (although furniture sometimes gets it) but when you pick her up you've got to be careful because she will instinctively try to latch on to anything closeby and usually the closest thing is your arm, so you've got to pick her up in a way that makes it hard for her to do so.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cucumbers! My cat is still trying to cope with butterflies, and you want me to scare him with a cucumber?! I'm calling somebody. Don't know who, but somebody is gonna make you sit in a corner or something. :icon_mad: :P

DSC_0156.png

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Why does my cat always want to eat plastic? It's like she has a plastic fetish. I'm talking about the little transparant plastic bags that would hold small groceries and such. Flexible plastic, not the hard kind. Just now I caught her knawing on the plastic around the toilet paper. If I give her a tap on the head she will be a bit hesitant but will still try to go right back at it. Even when I just put out some nice wet food for her and she has kibbles as well. This cat is so weird.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why does my cat always want to eat plastic? It's like she has a plastic fetish. I'm talking about the little transparant plastic bags that would hold small groceries and such. Flexible plastic, not the hard kind. Just now I caught her knawing on the plastic around the toilet paper. If I give her a tap on the head she will be a bit hesitant but will still try to go right back at it. Even when I just put out some nice wet food for her and she has kibbles as well. This cat is so weird.

My cat Siete likes to lay on plastic bags. He licks them while he is laying on them too. Not the trash bag type plastic which is thick, but the grocery bag type plastic which is crinkly and light. He sometimes darts at them as though there were a bug or mouse hiding in the folds of the bag. Crazy kitty! Fisher sometimes sticks his head inside them. As soon as I bring groceries home, I put them down on my coffee table as I put my coat away and kick my shoes off. By then, both cats have pulled the bags over and the goods are spilled out on the table and floor (all wrapped of course). The eggs get taken out of the bag before I do my coat thing (ask me why :))

I am not sure about cats and plastic, but I think it's the texture they like.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am still smiling from seeing those! So, when are you gonna break down and get yourself a kitty? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked the playfighting one.

I wonder what sort of breed of cat that is with the ultra short ears. It looks like some sort of breeder's Frankencat. They are cute as hell! Great personalities too. But I am partial to the very large cats. Well, except Bengals. :)