Cat Lovers Thread

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I wish there was a breed of mini tigers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish there was a breed of mini tigers.

The Bengal is as close to a wild cat a domesticated cat can get IMO. But their behavior is just too aggressive for my taste. But they are soooo beautiful.

download.jpg

They are just too active and unpredictable. I had to get used to Siete being able to open my doors, and Fisher climbing the ladder to my loft bed. But a Bengal would be more than tempted to jump from my 2nd story patio which neither of my two cats would ever try.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I wonder what sort of breed of cat that is with the ultra short ears. It looks like some sort of breeder's Frankencat. They are cute as hell! Great personalities too. But I am partial to the very large cats. Well, except Bengals. :)
I am still smiling from seeing those! So, when are you gonna break down and get yourself a kitty? :)
I do want to get one, I really do but they take a lot of dedication to take care of

Also some of these cats are also selected breed to make them look like they are. Like this one

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I do want to get one, I really do but they take a lot of dedication to take care of

Also some of these cats are also selected breed to make them look like they are. Like this one

Actually, cats are one of the easiest large-ish pets you can have. They practically take care of themselves. Give them a litterbox, and even from kittens they magically know to go in that box and nowhere else. They even cover it up so you don't have to smell it! You rarely if ever have to bathe a cat. You can leave your cat for entire weekends and it will be fine and your place will still be clean, just leave lots of dry food, and the cat will never overeat. It eats what it needs and nothing more.

Much easier to take care of than a dog, for which none of the above would be true. I love dogs, but having cats has spoiled me. You can EASILY take care of two cats. That's the other thing...get two if you can. They will keep each other company and they will be happier. But one is okay.

Fisher and Siete were once enemies. I just took this picture. :)

DSC_0004.jpg

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Actually, cats are one of the easiest large-ish pets you can have. They practically take care of themselves. Give them a litterbox, and even from kittens they magically know to go in that box and nowhere else. They even cover it up so you don't have to smell it! You rarely if ever have to bathe a cat. You can leave your cat for entire weekends and it will be fine and your place will still be clean, just leave lots of dry food, and the cat will never overeat. It eats what it needs and nothing more.

Much easier to take care of than a dog, for which none of the above would be true. I love dogs, but having cats has spoiled me. You can EASILY take care of two cats. That's the other thing...get two if you can. They will keep each other company and they will be happier. But one is okay.

Fisher and Siete were once enemies. I just took this picture. :)

View attachment 33370
I meant that I would be worried leaving them all alone. They require company and I hate to leave them on the street or at home like a prison. Cats are indeed the most obedient creatures. Infact, I think they are great way of curing or treating depression or other mental disorders.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I meant that I would be worried leaving them all alone. They require company and I hate to leave them on the street or at home like a prison. Cats are indeed the most obedient creatures. Infact, I think they are great way of curing or treating depression or other mental disorders.

Cats really do not require human companionship. They are independent, unlike a dog. If you leave it "on the street", it might leave you for another human who is more present. If you leave it at home inside, just make sure it has a window to look out of, a warm place to sleep (preferably high up, but it will most likely choose your bed). And finally, cats are NOT obedient. Only much less needy than a dog.

You have never owned a cat?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Home is not a prison for a cat. It's their own little domain. Sure if they'd get a chance they'd like to go out sometimes, but they're really completely adapted as a species to living indoors.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Cats really do not require human companionship. They are independent, unlike a dog. If you leave it "on the street", it might leave you for another human who is more present. If you leave it at home inside, just make sure it has a window to look out of, a warm place to sleep (preferably high up, but it will most likely choose your bed). And finally, cats are NOT obedient. Only much less needy than a dog.

You have never owned a cat?
I wouldn't like them if I didn't own one.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Home is not a prison for a cat. It's their own little domain. Sure if they'd get a chance they'd like to go out sometimes, but they're really completely adapted as a species to living indoors.
I know but I know that they need company. They require a companion. They are a social being like us.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I know but I know that they need company. They require a companion. They are a social being like us.

Yeah but they don't need it every second.

But I myself wouldn't want my cats being by themselves all the time. They need someone to at least pay them a visit once a day. I don't want to put my cats in a kennel either if I can avoid it. (which I've so far been able to do) I'd rather leave them in their own domain and have someone come feed them once a day then put them somewhere else. Anyway, I digress.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

But I myself wouldn't want my cats being by themselves all the time. They need someone to at least pay them a visit once a day. I don't want to put my cats in a kennel either if I can avoid it. (which I've so far been able to do) I'd rather leave them in their own domain and have someone come feed them once a day then put them somewhere else. Anyway, I digress.

I have to leave them home when I go to work, but I ALWAYS leave soft "cat music" (yes, it is labeled as that), and a playlist of cat videos of birds, squirrels, fish, etc. When I come home they are both at the door meowing before I even make it up the stairs. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You met both my cats. The big guy gets depressed if I leave him with somebody else, or if I let somebody cat sit for me. However, he likes most of my neighbors and he LOVES at least two of them. Fisher appears to not be bothered one way or another, but he won't let other people pick him up or pet him too long except me. Siete loves attention from everyone.

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Our cats are very doglike in the sense of not liking being alone. They have each other and since they are brother and sister they love each other, play with each other, and snuggle sleep together at times. But they sit at the door for when we come home. They sleep in our bed each night, and by our side on the couch while watching TV. They follow me to the bathroom and of course to the kitchen. It is seldom that if I get up, they don't follow me anywhere in the house. When we have gone away and somebody watched our cats, they have been very depressed. They had me here home with them all day everyday while I as unable to work in UK for almost a year and a half and now since I work crazy hours, they are just adjusting at times.

This being said, they they probably could survive with a huge jug of water and refiling kibble container and two fresh clean litter boxes for a few days alone. We just would never do that. I sit here typing this on my day off with my two furry babies sleeping on my feet snuggling up against each other on my blanket in bed. I really want ot get up and do some stuff around the house, but if I get up they will too. So, I will just stay here for another bit of time since I can't bear to move them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Our cats are very doglike in the sense of not liking being alone. They have each other and since they are brother and sister they love each other, play with each other, and snuggle sleep together at times. But they sit at the door for when we come home. They sleep in our bed each night, and by our side on the couch while watching TV. They follow me to the bathroom and of course to the kitchen. It is seldom that if I get up, they don't follow me anywhere in the house. When we have gone away and somebody watched our cats, they have been very depressed. They had me here home with them all day everyday while I as unable to work in UK for almost a year and a half and now since I work crazy hours, they are just adjusting at times.

This being said, they they probably could survive with a huge jug of water and refiling kibble container and two fresh clean litter boxes for a few days alone. We just would never do that. I sit here typing this on my day off with my two furry babies sleeping on my feet snuggling up against each other on my blanket in bed. I really want ot get up and do some stuff around the house, but if I get up they will too. So, I will just stay here for another bit of time since I can't bear to move them.

I hate leaving them home when I work! But they are usually sleeping before I get home (I watch them remotely from work sometimes). When I come through the gate, They are both at the door meowing as I make my way up the stairs. They do their greeting thing, then they are back to whatever they were doing before. :). Hearing dog owners say that cats do not show love, or don't come when you call them, or only want food are CRAZY. :rolleye0014: Anyone who has owned cats know none of that is true. And cats DO know their owners. Our neighbors are a close-knit community in the building, as we frequently have community barbeques or hang outside, and I let my cats out and they will wind through everyone to get to me. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This cat is REALLY the elected Mayor of a town in Alaska named Talkeetna, and he has been re-elected many times over (symbolically). Stubbs won his first term 19 years ago. Since then he has been re-elected several times, beating everyone who has dared to run against him! Seriously though, there are no elections because the town is only a municipality on paper and is unincorporated. The town is only a Historical district and is considered a census point so it has a city government. But Stubbs is it's duly elected Mayor. Cool!

stubbs_mayor.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
haha - I wish! I used to own one but it was a stray one grey one too. She was obedient

I bet she would say that about you as well. :) Cats are so cool because they CHOOSE you. If they like you and then love you, you belong to them and them to you. Thing is, if you do anything that makes them dislike you, they will leave you and choose somebody else.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
our cat has just started acting very strange

it is nearly a yr old, it is litter boxed trained and in general has pretty good manners

yesterday it suddenly stopped using its litter box and is going in random places. it is chasing things that are not there lights on or off. it is 'perching' itself on top of things and losing its balance very easily.

It is acting like it is high or drunk....

We really do not want to put it outside but we really do not want to go on "poop hunts" throughout the house to clean up after it either

any ideas?
thx!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Maybe the cat is ill?

Is the cat neutered?