Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe the cat is ill?

Is the cat neutered?

I was thinking that too...in heat or on the prowl. My cats only go outside the box when they are sick, which is not very often. Both are fixed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
our cat has just started acting very strange

it is nearly a yr old, it is litter boxed trained and in general has pretty good manners

yesterday it suddenly stopped using its litter box and is going in random places. it is chasing things that are not there lights on or off. it is 'perching' itself on top of things and losing its balance very easily.

It is acting like it is high or drunk....

We really do not want to put it outside but we really do not want to go on "poop hunts" throughout the house to clean up after it either

any ideas?
thx!

Sounds like a sick kitty. Is it male or female, and is it fixed or not? Can you take it to a vet?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sounds like a sick kitty. Is it male or female, and is it fixed or not? Can you take it to a vet?

There is defi something wrong with it. That is obv. Meaning it is not a behavior problem but a behavior problem caused by something external.

The only thing we can think of in the house that is changed is we used a 'carpet fresh' type of product in vacuuming. It was the first time we used the product.

There are no warning son it--of course-- but I am thinking that the stuff in it could very well be the antagonist.

As of this morning, she hasn't gone in either place, she is just laying low in the dark somewhere.

and it is a female. she went into heat about 2 moths ago. a whole diff behavior pattern there-mostly loud growls and calls to the cats outside. no litter box issues

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
If I were you I'd take her to a vet as soon as possible. And don't use that carpet thing again until you are certain that it's safe.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If I were you I'd take her to a vet as soon as possible. And don't use that carpet thing again until you are certain that it's safe.

Good advice. I make sure everything in my place is pet friendly, right down to houseplants, cleaners, even the lotions I use on my skin (cause my cats lick me). That carpet product might have some sort of drying agent in it or other chemical which got your kitty sick.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
And while taking the kitty to the vet, bring the carpet cleaner as well.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Is there any chance your kitty might have somehow ingested alcohol or inhaled alcohol vapors or something?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is there any chance your kitty might have somehow ingested alcohol or inhaled alcohol vapors or something?

we neither currently have nor ever keep alcohol in our house. the only exception being soju and then only sometimes on a korean holiday,,but none now

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Good advice. I make sure everything in my place is pet friendly, right down to houseplants, cleaners, even thr lotions I use on my skin (cause my cats lick me). That carpet profuct might have some sort of drying agent in it or other chemical which got your kitty sick.

she seems to be recovering..whatever it was seems to have cleared. she has used her litter box again and will seemingy do so..will wait and see

the thing about 'making sure' what you buy is 'safe/friendly'? well, i check labels and try to buy good stuff no matter what or who for

the thing is so, we are completely at the mercy of the label makers aren't we?

they would rather save money and lie and take a chance they MAY be caught. but all the profits they made in the meantime from just the one product would be enough to pay off several lawsuits/settlements/ fines..wouldn't it?

the reason these corps are so diversified--get spanked for one product all the others are still in place.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
we neither currently have nor ever keep alcohol in our house. the only exception being soju and then only sometimes on a korean holiday,,but none now

Cleaning products could contain alcohol or similar substances.

I was also thinking catnip. If there's one thing that can make a cat go loopy it's catnip. Could be in some kind of cat toy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I was also thinking catnip. If there's one thing that can make a cat go loopy it's catnip. Could be in some kind of cat toy.

True! But it does not really grow wild in the US. I grow it for my cats, and they have a couple of planters with live catnip growing it them. They go nuts on them, sometimes tipping the planters over. :)

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
she seems to be recovering..whatever it was seems to have cleared. she has used her litter box again and will seemingy do so..will wait and see

the thing about 'making sure' what you buy is 'safe/friendly'? well, i check labels and try to buy good stuff no matter what or who for

the thing is so, we are completely at the mercy of the label makers aren't we?

they would rather save money and lie and take a chance they MAY be caught. but all the profits they made in the meantime from just the one product would be enough to pay off several lawsuits/settlements/ fines..wouldn't it?

the reason these corps are so diversified--get spanked for one product all the others are still in place.
Report back how she is man. Does she have a companion?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i hope this link works...it is funny to watch-at least once

seems they love the stuff and don't really mind the reaction, just taken aback by it

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just one reason we have cats roaming free on our property--snake patrol

they limit the snakes in several ways

-clean up the rodents that snakes like to eat

-the vibrations of the cats roaming around (anyone roaming buit the cats do a lot of it) drives the snakes away-they go into defensive mode and hide

-i have seen cats from several generations of this 'line' of cats we have--going on 17 yrs of cats descended from the same two original females we had--encounter and kill snakes much like the cat in this video.

they don't eat them. just 'play' with them and kill them and leave them to rot. one of them yrs ago, used to bring the dead ones back and put them in front of the door! proof of kill/give me reward type of thing. that was abit freaky-opening the door to a dead snake

there are no venomous or otherwise dangerous snakes in the immediate area--most were killed off a century ago when all the trees were cut and railroad ash started wildfires-just the pesky little pain in the ass jump out in front of you snakes
i'd much rather have the cats :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

we have a lavender sage plant out in the flower garden--very closely related to catnip that will grow in our zone

<the cat in question does not go outside and cannot access it>

sometimes at the right time of the summer, the cats will nibble on it

they get stoned---they'll circle around the plant and stare at it and watch each other take 'hits'

like watching a bunch of ppl sitting around a huge Asiatic water pipe watching one another get high--pretty funny

CATMIN1.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My poor kitty Fisher is in last stages of CRF (chronic renal failure), and I am going to have to put him to sleep. :( Unlike Dante, my first euthanasia, this one I could prepare for. I have watched his quality of life and his energy slowly ebb over the past two months, and now he is refusing to eat anything but his treats and he is super skinny. He is showing signs of toxicity, with his rear legs twitching and he is hiding. He does not appear to be in pain, but he is dying and there is nothing that can be done. I will miss him. I have not scheduled the procedure yet, but I am going to have to. Feeling sad.

DSC_0038.jpg

Siete is healthy and very happy, and I think it is going to be just he and I from this point forward.