Can't leave out Mythbusters!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
They're back!

The two they looked at were of mixed value - the whole exhaust from a car versus a motorcycle was kind of meh but the bullet hitting an RPG (debunking Hollywood) was fun.
I liked the car vs motorcycle experiments because I'm tired of people insisting that they're doing less damage to the environment because they're not driving an automobile. They definitely debunked that one.

And while I may not like motorcycles, I loved Jamie's rather futuristic looking ride. LOL

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I liked the car vs motorcycle experiments because I'm tired of people insisting that they're doing less damage to the environment because they're not driving an automobile. They definitely debunked that one.

And while I may not like motorcycles, I loved Jamie's rather futuristic looking ride. LOL

I guess it resonated less with me because of two things:

a) I knew already how it would turn out - motorcycle engines do not have catalytic converters so of course their exhaust has greater levels of toxins.

b) They bought into the political/economic scam around CO2 as a pollutant. That was disappointing.

S

Stonelesscutter

However, motorcycles generally use up far less fuel per distance compared with cars, especially when compared with the humungous cars that are common in the States.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not really - US cars nowadays get good mileage. Plus the catalytic converters and other emission systems make a HUGE difference in pollutants (on the order of 3000-8000%).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You may want to reconsider using a laughable conspiracy theory "documentary" as proof. US cars do as a whole get good mileage. I didn't say "great".

Remember that a LARGE portion of US drivers are driving "foreign" cars that get higher MPG (like myself, I average about 37 MPG from my car). Not everyone is driving a Ford truck. And the "domestic" companies all have higher mileage models in their lineups.

Related note - there was no call for you to jump into this thread and get all snarky. You may have a differing point of view which is cool. But it can be expressed in a less antagonistic manner.

S

Stonelesscutter

Not really - US cars nowadays get good mileage. Plus the catalytic converters and other emission systems make a HUGE difference in pollutants (on the order of 3000-8000%).

You're gonna tell me that a Dodge ramvan uses less fuel than a motorcycle?
Motorcycles get about 30 kilometers to a liter whereas a truck like that would get about 8 kilometers to a liter in the best case. Not that everyone drives a truck like that ofcourse but I bet all those SUV's drink a lot too. Not to mention the good old muscle cars. By the way scooters (mopeds) usually have a catalytic converter, why don't motorcycles?

S

Stonelesscutter

You may want to reconsider using a laughable conspiracy theory "documentary" as proof. US cars do as a whole get good mileage. I didn't say "great".

Remember that a LARGE portion of US drivers are driving "foreign" cars that get higher MPG (like myself, I average about 37 MPG from my car). Not everyone is driving a Ford truck. And the "domestic" companies all have higher mileage models in their lineups.

Related note - there was no call for you to jump into this thread and get all snarky. You may have a differing point of view which is cool. But it can be expressed in a less antagonistic manner.

37 MPG translates to about 15,73 km/liter.
That's actually better than my car. But my car is really old and I don't drive much. :)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

i didnt state anything about proof now did i? :facepalm:

no you didnt say "great" you said "good" which is laugable BS and you trying to be some kind of expert on the subject is beyond hillarious.

as for bolded. im allowed to comment on anything i like in any manner i like and i am also allowed to be as "antagonistic " as i like as fortunatly this forum is not maintained in the manner you would prefer.

also i posted 4 words i dont get WTH you get "snark" from those.

now lets see how long it takes you to report/complain about this post if you havent done it already. (even tho it breaks no rules and it will most likly only offend you for some weird reason)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You're gonna tell me that a Dodge ramvan uses less fuel than a motorcycle?
Motorcycles get about 30 kilometers to a liter whereas a truck like that would get about 8 kilometers to a liter in the best case. Not that everyone drives a truck like that ofcourse but I bet all those SUV's drink a lot too. Not to mention the good old muscle cars. By the way scooters (mopeds) usually have a catalytic converter, why don't motorcycles?

That's the thing Stoneless. What they found is that the emissions coming out of the motorcycle are so much more pollutant laden that it more than overcame the difference in gasoline used. So obviously the motorcycle is more fuel efficient - however its emissions are concersely way mote full of pollutants.

S

Stonelesscutter

That's the thing Stoneless. What they found is that the emissions coming out of the motorcycle are so much more pollutant laden that it more than overcame the difference in gasoline used. So obviously the motorcycle is more fuel efficient - however its emissions are concersely way mote full of pollutants.

I was not debating that pollution issue but making a point that a motorcycle uses up less fuel so it's more economical in the sense of wasting less natural resources. I still don't get why they don't filter the exhausts though, they do it on scooters.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was not debating that pollution issue but making a point that a motorcycle uses up less fuel so it's more economical in the sense of wasting less natural resources. I still don't get why they don't filter the exhausts though, they do it on scooters.

I agree completely it is more economical - being much lighter lets it use a smaller engine so it naturally uses less fuel. As to using emission control systems, many of them get dangerously hot in operation. In a car they are on the undercarriage so there is no real risk of skin contact - a motorcycle lacks such a location. A scooter has a sufficiently low power engine that they can filter the exhaust without hazard.

Or at least that is how my mechanic friend related it to me.:icon_e_smile:

S

Stonelesscutter

I agree completely it is more economical - being much lighter lets it use a smaller engine so it naturally uses less fuel. As to using emission control systems, many of them get dangerously hot in operation. In a car they are on the undercarriage so there is no real risk of skin contact - a motorcycle lacks such a location. A scooter has a sufficiently low power engine that they can filter the exhaust without hazard.

Or at least that is how my mechanic friend related it to me.:icon_e_smile:

That makes sense. I guess motorcycles would have to change.

G

Graybrew1

I wonder when it is coming back with new eps. I really enjoy this show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Usually it comes back in April or around there. They were filming when the cannon incident occured.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
As a head's up...

Adam & Jamie appeared as themselves on The Simpsons, this past Sunday, hosting a show called "Mythcrackers".

Fun for the 500th episode of The Simpsons. Sounded like they had fun with it, too. :)