Can't leave out Mythbusters!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So basically, if the US military wants to cut expenses they could opt for hurling frozen chickens at their enemies instead of bombshells that cost a fortune. :)

Really wouldn't work in practical terms. The chicken gun is about testing aircraft (both civilian and military) components to assess the effects of bird strikes.

S

Stonelesscutter

Really wouldn't work in practical terms. The chicken gun is about testing aircraft (both civilian and military) components to assess the effects of bird strikes.

Yes I understand, but I bet a frozen chicken could just as easily decapitate an enemy soldier whilst at the same time causing less damage to the surrounding area. :) I'm hoping Jamie and Adam will eventually extend this 'myth' to building and testing a frozen chicken machine gun. :D

G

Graybrew1

I think he was kidding around again. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, I was kidding back a little (I like deadpan comedy).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Deadpan humor consists of jokes told in the exact same manner as ordinary conversation. In other words, there is no indication given by the teller that it is a joke.

Examples of deadpan comedians include Bob Newhart and Bill Murray (some of the time).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am finding that Mythbusters is very rewatchable, even when I know the myth results.

For example, yesterday was a rerun (they are in reruns now awaiting the new season) that looked at whether someone could go in a 360 degree circle using a yard swing (proven impossible - the swing needs rigid poles instead of chains for it to work) and how deep you need to be in the water before bullets cannot hurt you. That was a funny one as it turned out that the power of the firearm was a factor but not in the expected way - the round shattered on impact with the water for high velocity weapons and lower velocity were deadly down to about six feet.

G

Graybrew1

I am finding that Mythbusters is very rewatchable, even when I know the myth results.

For example, yesterday was a rerun (they are in reruns now awaiting the new season) that looked at whether someone could go in a 360 degree circle using a yard swing (proven impossible - the swing needs rigid poles instead of chains for it to work) and how deep you need to be in the water before bullets cannot hurt you. That was a funny one as it turned out that the power of the firearm was a factor but not in the expected way - the round shattered on impact with the water for high velocity weapons and lower velocity were deadly down to about six feet.

I Agree. I rewatch them all the time, when there is nothig else on, their banter helps make that show what it is. ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I really like that Jamie and Adam will revisit a myth if the viewers are particularly insistent upon them doing so.

It doesn't turn into "well, we tried it and we couldn't do it, so that's it!". If enough people insist that something wasn't done right, and they can back up their assertion, we'll see The Guys try again.

S

Stonelesscutter

I expect the swing myth is only busted due to the definition of the perfect circle. It is however possible to swing over the top and around though that would not make it a perfect circle. If you ask me that's just some lame ass mythbusting on account of a few chosen words.

The other myth is quite good though. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Cause I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msYHQOkrRHE&feature=related

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They're back!

The two they looked at were of mixed value - the whole exhaust from a car versus a motorcycle was kind of meh but the bullet hitting an RPG (debunking Hollywood) was fun.