Can't leave out Mythbusters!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I admit I really like this show. They do use the scientific method to test things, and they also are able to admit when they are wrong (and their fans are only too willing to point it out to them). Of the cast, I like Jamie because he has a more "Joe Friday" like personality and also Kari can be really funny and relatable to (not that the others are not, just these two stand out to me).

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I love Jamie and Adam, and I find it amazing that Jamie hasn't killed Adam yet, as they have such different personalities.

Of the supporting crew, I'm not sure who I like the best, but I can say that Tory scares the crap out of me with his managing to hurt himself all the time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
"Jamie...wants...big...boom"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
"When all else fails, try C4" :D

"we blow shit up":D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
" At Mythbusters, we take big objects and make them into really small objects"

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I admit I really like this show. They do use the scientific method to test things, and they also are able to admit when they are wrong (and their fans are only too willing to point it out to them). Of the cast, I like Jamie because he has a more "Joe Friday" like personality and also Kari can be really funny and relatable to (not that the others are not, just these two stand out to me).

Only Jamie and Adam use proper scientific methodology. The other 3 just want to blow stuff up. I've also noticed a lot of the tests they don't have a control or use proper scientific methodology.

G

Graybrew1

I like Tory.

I loved the one with the Cement truck that just went , Kabloom :biggrin:, and then no more truck. And also the one with the coffee creamer , that was so cool. Gosh, I sound like such a Dude. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually when you look carefully every test where a control is feasible has one, and they do use proper scientific methodology. Some of the stuff they test (like viral stuff from the internet) isn't really conducive to control groups - it is simply attempting to duplicate what was presented to them.

I also like that theyve gotten things wrong, and when they realize it they own up to it (for example they had determined that driving windows open was always better on gas than using the AC - turns out it depends on the speed you are driving at).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like Tory.

I loved the one with the Cement truck that just went , Kabloom :biggrin:, and then no more truck. And also the one with the coffee creamer , that was so cool. Gosh, I sound like such a Dude. :P

850 lbs of AMFO (commercial blasting agent) will do that...

And the coffee creamer cannon was hilarious - both embody another one of their adages:

"If something is worth doing it's worth overdoing"

G

Graybrew1

850 lbs of AMFO (commercial blasting agent) will do that...

And the coffee creamer cannon was hilarious - both embody another one of their adages:

"If something is worth doing it's worth overdoing"

I love that.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I like Tory.

I loved the one with the Cement truck that just went , Kabloom :biggrin:, and then no more truck. And also the one with th.e coffee creamer , that was so cool. Gosh, I sound like such a Dude. :P

HAHAHA!!!
The cement mixer is one of my faves as well, we have 2 copies of the DVD, one for home, and one for Mrs GF to use at school for "random filler" for things like sport detention. :) The sound that truck makes when it blows is just freaking epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm_qpKh7Jw

"I swear I parked it right here" :laughing:

Red Mage

Boney
I used to watch Mythbusters all the time. One of my favorites was the chinese astronaut myth. To test the myth they made a rocket chair loaded with fireworks. Not only did it not, the rockets blew up the chair in a huge explosion.

G

Graybrew1

HAHAHA!!!
The cement mixer is one of my faves as well, we have 2 copies of the DVD, one for home, and one for Mrs GF to use at school for "random filler" for things like sport detention. :) The sound that truck makes when it blows is just freaking epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm_qpKh7Jw

"I swear I parked it right here" :laughing:

yes, and another favortie was the one where they had to get drunk and compare hangover amounts.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
yes, and another favortie was the one where they had to get drunk and compare hangover amounts.

I liked the "rose colored glasses" one whilst drunk myself.
Mythbusters is just plain fun, what would you expect from an Aussie science show :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yup, Beyond Productions is the "producer". Some production elements occur in Australia but the whole cast is American (Adam, Jamie, the B team and Jamie's company M5 Industries) and pretty much everything filmed here too.

G

Graybrew1

Yup, Beyond Productions is the "producer". Some production elements occur in Australia but the whole cast is American (Adam, Jamie, the B team and Jamie's company M5 Industries) and pretty much everything filmed here too.

Maybe we can consider it a joint venture then. More than enough praise to go around. :thoranime12:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Yep, it is.
These days I'd actually doubt if anything is done out here anymore.