Bottlenecking High End Puters

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting but I don't remember hitting the backspace bar 28 times in a row unless gaming but I don't game in linux . I game in windows . I was using windose in a virtual drive and had no virul issues as it was running in linux OS . It was once I put my ssd with win7 in boot mode that I had all these attacks . I had done all the updates and removed WinX . I also had to download some mods and cars and track files so the malwares must have piggy backed onto the drive that way as I sure as hell did not add them to my win7 system . Anyway , it's running ok so far .

That's good. I'm surprised that whatever you have in place for Malware protection did not catch it during the download.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Especially as a lot of us use Windows regularly and heavily and don't get nailed by that stuff at all... :D

Yah I know lol . I must be cursed ... I am only using windows for gaming ... The crap must have piggy backed through either a mod website I visited or through the mods I downloaded tho I thought Avast was watching out for me . Guess not ...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One way to tell if the problem is there is to download something like a Trial for Malwarebytes Full, then go back to the mod sites and grab some stuff and see if it spots anything.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
One way to tell if the problem is there is to download something like a Trial for Malwarebytes Full, then go back to the mod sites and grab some stuff and see if it spots anything.

Yah . I had to use malware bytes freebie to get rid of some of the crap that I could not find with regedit . They hid themselves pretty good and also rename themselves which makes it a pig finding them . The Validate widows virus thingy was called something completely different when I began shutting things off in task manager . ..

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yah . I had to use malware bytes freebie to get rid of some of the crap that I could not find with regedit . They hid themselves pretty good and also rename themselves which makes it a pig finding them . The Validate widows virus thingy was called something completely different when I began shutting things off in task manager . ..

I can help with this. Gatefan's computer was futzed with them too. I think he is running ok now. I can fix your issue.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Interesting but I don't remember hitting the backspace bar 28 times in a row unless gaming but I don't game in linux .

Yeah but you'd also have to be gaming from the lock screen. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah but you'd also have to be gaming from the lock screen. :icon_lol:

Exactly. It was a lock screen exploit targeting the error resolution subsystem. Kind of like the old buffer overflow attacks. Fortunately it sounds like the major distros either have fixed it or are in the process.

Bluce Ree

Exactly. It was a lock screen exploit targeting the error resolution subsystem. Kind of like the old buffer overflow attacks. Fortunately it sounds like the major distros either have fixed it or are in the process.

As with all operating systems since the dawn of time, if physical access is acquired then all bets are off. :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Especially as a lot of us use Windows regularly and heavily and don't get nailed by that stuff at all... :D

I think the last time I had a virus on any of my desktops or laptops was somewhere in the 90s when I was still rather naive. I got an email that seemed to come from a friend of mine who is a typical joker and often sent me funny videos. This email was entitled "Hey check this out", typical of his emails, and I clicked the attachment only to watch my desktop explode (figuratively) before my eyes. Spoofing originators wasn't even on my radar yet at the time. Never did that again. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As with all operating systems since the dawn of time, if physical access is acquired then all bets are off. :icon_lol:

Exactly. If an attack requires physical access to the machine I for one am not that concerned about it. Really if they physically have the machine there are other ways to crack the data no matter what OS it has.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The only thing I can think of that may have piggy backed its way into windows were the programs I downloaded to be able to manage overclocking .

CPUID, a temp monitor and a fan and temp monitor . One of those had to be the culprit . All were scanned and Avast found nothing .Eventually got rid of all the malware editing the registry and using malwarebytes but it took several hrs and a huge lump on my noggin because I whacked my head on the edge of my puter desk switching out usb connections lol .

On another note you guys should check out some of the driving games ! . Wow they have improved a lot .
http://rfactor.net/
http://www.iracing.com/
http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yah I know lol . I must be cursed ... I am only using windows for gaming ... The crap must have piggy backed through either a mod website I visited or through the mods I downloaded tho I thought Avast was watching out for me . Guess not ...

You allowed it into your system unknowingly via a download which you gave permission to install. Avast will not trigger for executables which you have given permission to install via UAC authorization. Avast is still excellent. :)

Create a few clones of your gaming VM to use as a spare when they get hosed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Avast is okay. And would still be needed even with something like Malwarebytes as it is not an AV program per se but rather a sophisticated malware remover/destroyer.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you have Malwarebytes clean it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Same idea. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member