Any reviews on ENDER'S GAME?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It was supposedly the top draw on it's release weekend.

Anyone see it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
We discussed it awhile back in this thread:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...ook-author-and-controversy.26819/#post-852349

Haven't heard much since the movie opened though other than it did like 20 million. No idea what that means in terms of sequels. I have no intention of willingly seeing it due to the author's mental illness. But if other people want to see it it's no skin off my ass. (As I understand it OSC sold the rights to the movie awhile back so he won't be getting profits from it but he will get more money if they make sequels. Since he's a crazy mental case homophobe I have zero interest in giving him any money.)

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
not a fan of OSC's work (see just because he's LDS doesn't mean I am a fan!:P )-- I have a friend who loves his work and says the movie is "amazing"- but not my cup of cocoa!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
20 mill??

It means it's rooted.

I heard that number but don't know for a fact that it's true. It might have had a good opening weekend but then is dropping off. Chances are it will score enough globally for it to merit more interest in some fashion, straight to DVD stuff, etc. After the scare of being boycotted though I'm not sure Lionsgate will want to jump back into bed with OSC anytime soon though.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It appears that Ender's Game, which I still have no plans to watch, slid to number 5 at the box office this weekend.

Yes, Card sold off his movie rights for THIS film many years ago. I seriously doubt the same can be said for movies based on the sequels.

I want to see this thing go down in flames and Card not even able to make money off SyFy versions of this crap.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I heard that number but don't know for a fact that it's true. It might have had a good opening weekend but then is dropping off. Chances are it will score enough globally for it to merit more interest in some fashion, straight to DVD stuff, etc. After the scare of being boycotted though I'm not sure Lionsgate will want to jump back into bed with OSC anytime soon though.
Lionsgate has to be livid that OSC keeps opening his mouth and saying inflammatory crap. The most recent stuff he said just before the movie came out was that he was being bullied and picked on.

Couldn't happen to a nicer racist homophobe. (He seems to have missed the whole LDS church saying relatively recently that black folks are people, too)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
have you read the book? if so avoid movie as its terrible compared to book.

I've heard the same about Mein Kampf. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
We discussed it awhile back in this thread:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...ook-author-and-controversy.26819/#post-852349

Haven't heard much since the movie opened though other than it did like 20 million. No idea what that means in terms of sequels. I have no intention of willingly seeing it due to the author's mental illness. But if other people want to see it it's no skin off my ass. (As I understand it OSC sold the rights to the movie awhile back so he won't be getting profits from it but he will get more money if they make sequels. Since he's a crazy mental case homophobe I have zero interest in giving him any money.)

Yeah, you know I searched and searched again but nothing popped, so...

Is there homophobia in the movie? If not, I do not see what his beliefs have to do with the film.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No idea if there's homophobia in the movie since I haven't seen it nor do I plan to, but I assume there probably isn't. The issue isn't so much the story of Ender's Game as it is giving money to someone who is clearly mentally ill and down right evil in his beliefs. Would you want money to go to someone who hated Koreans? :daniel_new004:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No idea if there's homophobia in the movie since I haven't seen it nor do I plan to, but I assume there probably isn't. The issue isn't so much the story of Ender's Game as it is giving money to someone who is clearly mentally ill and down right evil in his beliefs. Would you want money to go to someone who hated Koreans? :daniel_new004:

Would I want money? Why yes, if someone was paying me-I'd watch anything :icon_e_smile:

But no, I get the typo.

If the hate was not part of the film's plot or imagery (as say, OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN suggests-that no Koreans can be trusted since they didn't vet their PM's detail,etc) then I would watch it if I thought it may be worthwhile

There have been many scientists, philosophers and writers who have had "uncool" personal views ,but we have adopted their important work and notions anyway.

For example, if Darwin's DESCENT OF MAN were discredited for his choice of "racist" terms and intonations, we may not have the use of his theory today.

Are you saying that the writer is "mentally ill" because of his homophobia (I do not know much about the guy)?

If so, doesn't that shatter the good old "2 wrongs not making a right" adage? I mean, homosexuals were until quite recently considered to be "abnormal" though that is clearly not the case. Is a person abnormal just because the speak for their chosen lifestyle?

I say, let people be-all the way around-in a nice neat libertarian fashion. If it is legal and not physically harming others then chalk it up to societal and cultural differences. What would America be without those? (Japan!!)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Are you saying that the writer is "mentally ill" because of his homophobia (I do not know much about the guy)?

I'm saying he's mentally ill. His homophobia is merely a symptom of his mental illness, not the cause.

Last edited:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
had to say it twice eh?
--- merged: Nov 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM ---
or is this signs of mental insanity on your own part? ie multiple personality disorder?

:wanking:

Last edited by a moderator: