Enders Game -- movie/book/author and controversy

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Turns out that Enders Game author Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobic nutjob so now the movie version of his most famous work is mired in controversy. Turns out the stars of the movie had to do damage control and Lionsgate even distanced itself from OSC.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/enders-game-boycott-lionsgate-orson-scott-card/#/0

As it is I really don't care what OSC thinks about gay people; what interests me though is just how deeply neurotic he is regarding the subject of homosexuality. I mean, why would anyone so successful in a genre take steps to alienate many readers and fans? This dude has a history of some seriously whacked-out ideas about gay people, driven no doubt by his perverted religious beliefs. Still, it is weird to consciously do damage to one's livelihood. Granted, we're talking about a scifi writer and we all know that this genre is rife with mental cases.

Here's some info on this man and his madness:

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/07/sci...es_fan_fiction_the_homosexual_agenda_partner/

During the next six months, you’re going to be hearing the name Orson Scott Card a lot. Card is the author of Ender’s Game, one of the greatest works of science fiction and children’s literature ever written. In November, an all-star film production of Ender’s Game is hitting theaters, and along with the buzz, there’s sure to be lots of controversy.
Why? Because in addition to being one of the most critically acclaimed writers of science fiction, Card, or OSC, as he’s dubbed in sci-fi circles, is also one of the most openly bigoted. Card is the great-great-grandson of Mormon icon Brigham Young, and his politics are deeply linked to his lifelong Mormonism. Card has been openly railing against what he calls “the homosexual agenda” for decades.
Earlier this year, DC Comics found itself embroiled in a public relations fiasco after it hired Card to write its latest Superman adventure. Already rather beleaguered on the subject of diversity, DC caused a public outcry when it announced the anti-gay Card would be scripting a story about the American icon, and finally had to put the issue on hold indefinitely.
But Card has been in the science fiction business for decades, and has become one of the powerful and influential authors in the industry. He is the only author in history to win sci-fi’s two biggest awards, the Hugo and the Nebula, back-to-back: for 1985′s Ender’s Game and its sequel Speaker for the Dead. He’s the winner of the John W. Campbell Award, the World Fantasy Award, and the Locus Award—nearly every prestigious sci-fi/fantasy award on the planet. He runs a yearly “boot camp” for sci-fi writers, teaches at Southern Virginia University, and serves as a judge for the annual sci-fi Writers of the Future awards.
OSC and the “Homosexual Agenda”
In 2008, Card lamented that he had for so long been labeled a “homophobe” because of his stated positions on homosexuality. Here’s a run-down on what he said. Notably, he’s become far more vocal and politically active in the fight against gay marriage in recent years.
1990: Card argued that states should keep sodomy laws on the books in order to punish unruly gays–presumably implying that the fear of breaking the law ought to keep most gay men in the closet where they belonged.
2004: He claimed that most homosexuals are the self-loathing victims of child abuse, who became gay “through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse.”
2008: In 2008, Card published his most controversial anti-gay screed yet, in the Mormon Times, where he argued that gay marriage “marks the end of democracy in America,” that homosexuality was a “tragic genetic mixup,” and that allowing courts to redefine marriage was a slippery slope towards total homosexual political rule and the classifying of anyone who disagreed as “mentally ill:”
A term that has mental-health implications (homophobe) is now routinely applied to anyone who deviates from the politically correct line. How long before opposing gay marriage, or refusing to recognize it, gets you officially classified as “mentally ill”
Remember how rapidly gay marriage has become a requirement. When gay rights were being enforced by the courts back in the ’70s and ’80s, we were repeatedly told by all the proponents of gay rights that they would never attempt to legalize gay marriage.
It took about 15 minutes for that promise to be broken. …
If a court declared that from now on, “blind” and “sighted” would be synonyms, would that mean that it would be safe for blind people to drive cars?
No matter how sexually attracted a man might be toward other men, or a woman toward other women, and no matter how close the bonds of affection and friendship might be within same-sex couples, there is no act of court or Congress that can make these relationships thesame as the coupling between a man and a woman.
This is a permanent fact of nature.
Card went on to advocate for, literally, a straight people’s insurrection against a pro-gay government:
[W]hen government is the enemy of marriage, then the people who are actually creating successful marriages have no choice but to change governments, by whatever means is made possible or necessary… Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down….
2009: He joined the board for anti-gay lobby The National Organization for Marriage, which was created to pass California’s notorious Proposition 8, banning gay marriage.
2012: He supported his home state North Carolina’s constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage by arguingthat gay marriage “will be the bludgeon [The Left] use to make sure that it becomes illegal to teach traditional values in the schools.”
images
0b2b0_430345.jpg
images

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Soooooo ... after reading all that, it puts that man and his work under an entirely new perspective. I wonder if his work can be interpreted as some dark, deeply rooted obsession with children? His desire to bring them into his "adult" world, involving them in "adult" challenges, a confession of sorts cleverly disguised as a sci-fi flick.

That movie is off my list. F**k Orson Scott Card.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Soooooo ... after reading all that, it puts that man and his work under an entirely new perspective. I wonder if his work can be interpreted as some dark, deeply rooted obsession with children? His desire to bring them into his "adult" world, involving them in "adult" challenges, a confession of sorts cleverly disguised as a sci-fi flick.

That movie is off my list. F**k Orson Scott Card.

Yeah, OSC definitely has some messed up thoughts about children. Consider the following stuff of his, it shows just how twisted his brain is:

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/07/sci...es_fan_fiction_the_homosexual_agenda_partner/
Songmaster. Songmaster was Card’s attempt to show that he could write fairly about gay people—more specifically, gay men, since his writing seems to pay little attention to lesbians. However, Card’s well-meaning (sort of) attempt at depicting homosexual love is muddied by the creepy overtones. The main gay love story features a young man who was groomed to be mostly homosexual in a pederasty-based society similar to Ancient Greece. He falls in love with a 15-year-old castrati.
To make things worse, the 15-year-old has the body of a10-year-old. To make things even worse, when they finally have sex, the 15-year-old in a 10-year-old’s body loses his virginity, only to nearly die because of a plot point that leaves him unable to have sex ever again. Card addressed Songmaster in his 1990 essay, and described the relationship as a “mutually self-destructive path”:
What the novel offers is a treatment of characters who share, between them, a forbidden act that took place because of hunger on one side, compassion on the other, and genuine love and friendship on both parts. I was not trying to show that homosexuality was “beautiful” or “natural”—in fact, sex of any kind is likely to be “beautiful” only to the participants, and it is hard to make a case for the naturalness of such an obviously counter-evolutionary trend as same-sex mating.
So basically, Card wrote a novel whose main plot point involves punishing homosexual sex, in the guise of identifying with mostly gay men. Did we mention the older lover was also in a straight relationship? With a kid? Once again, reproduction trumps all.

Bluce Ree

Yeah, OSC definitely has some messed up thoughts about children. Consider the following stuff of his, it shows just how twisted his brain is:

Songmaster. Songmaster was Card’s attempt to show that he could write fairly about gay people—more specifically, gay men, since his writing seems to pay little attention to lesbians. However, Card’s well-meaning (sort of) attempt at depicting homosexual love is muddied by the creepy overtones. The main gay love story features a young man who was groomed to be mostly homosexual in a pederasty-based society similar to Ancient Greece. He falls in love with a 15-year-old castrati.
To make things worse, the 15-year-old has the body of a10-year-old. To make things even worse, when they finally have sex, the 15-year-old in a 10-year-old’s body loses his virginity, only to nearly die because of a plot point that leaves him unable to have sex ever again. Card addressed Songmaster in his 1990 essay, and described the relationship as a “mutually self-destructive path”:
What the novel offers is a treatment of characters who share, between them, a forbidden act that took place because of hunger on one side, compassion on the other, and genuine love and friendship on both parts. I was not trying to show that homosexuality was “beautiful” or “natural”—in fact, sex of any kind is likely to be “beautiful” only to the participants, and it is hard to make a case for the naturalness of such an obviously counter-evolutionary trend as same-sex mating.
So basically, Card wrote a novel whose main plot point involves punishing homosexual sex, in the guise of identifying with mostly gay men. Did we mention the older lover was also in a straight relationship? With a kid? Once again, reproduction trumps all.

Holy <expletive> Christ do I feel like I hit that nail on the head. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That dude is the profile of the classic pedophile. :shame: :sulkiness: :smiley-015:

It makes no sense why a sane straight man would fixate on such things. The dude is seriously messed up.

Bluce Ree

Good god, he just can't keep his mouth shut/fingers tied together.

He wrote an essay that equates Obama with Hitler.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/enders-game-author-compares-obama-607356

I have an idea of what the studio is saying right now:

"Goddammit Card! We just put all that time, energy and money into putting out your last fire. Why the HELL did you just throw napalm on the embers?!"

I wonder who's left to see that movie? Not one person I've spoken to is even remotely interested to see that movie.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Good god, he just can't keep his mouth shut/fingers tied together.

He wrote an essay that equates Obama with Hitler.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/enders-game-author-compares-obama-607356

I have an idea of what the studio is saying right now:

"Goddammit Card! We just put all that time, energy and money into putting out your last fire. Why the HELL did you just throw napalm on the embers?!"

From the link:

The paranoid post is book ended with disclaimers from the author, describing the piece as "an experiment in fictional thinking." Card insists that his "job in writing sci-fi is to make the impossible events seem not just possible but likely."

This guy is an out and out whack job. I see nothing sci-fi about this "experiment in fictional thinking" that he's done. It's just mental illness on full display for everyone to see, that's all it is.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Every time this whackjob opens his mouth (or puts fingers to keyboard), he just shovels more crap out into the world. I would feel bad for the actors in the movie if the movie tanks (and gawd, but I hope it does), but they've been paid already. If they have points in the film, they won't see anything else, but there's no way Kingsley and Ford worked for less than several million up front each on the picture.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Every time this whackjob opens his mouth (or puts fingers to keyboard), he just shovels more crap out into the world. I would feel bad for the actors in the movie if the movie tanks (and gawd, but I hope it does), but they've been paid already. If they have points in the film, they won't see anything else, but there's no way Kingsley and Ford worked for less than several million up front each on the picture.

I've never heard of a movie where the director and actors and studio had to apologize/distance themselves from the writer of the original piece. The nutter certainly isn't making it easy for them, that's for sure.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I wonder who's left to see that movie? Not one person I've spoken to is even remotely interested to see that movie.

Honestly all the trailers and stuff I've seen, looks like an 'eh, watchable thing' but nothing really spectacular. Children saving the human race is a huge yawn for me. Prejudging to buggery I will admit but still, bug bear.

Bluce Ree

Honestly all the trailers and stuff I've seen, looks like an 'eh, watchable thing' but nothing really spectacular. Children saving the human race is a huge yawn for me. Prejudging to buggery I will admit but still, bug bear.

Ape quoted some stuff by the author confirming a suspicion I had about his obsession with young boys. It's a bit further up in this thread.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Ape quoted some stuff by the author confirming a suspicion I had about his obsession with young boys. It's a bit further up in this thread.

I know you know, but I was talking specifically about the movie independently without the huge douche cloud that hangs over this movie. Being a little objective there for a change. Mainly because if I took the author's amount of stupid in with this, my brain will go like Chernobyl.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, Ender (in the book, anyway) was six years old. The kid they've got playing him this time around is at least twelve, I'm thinking. By the time you're twelve, your thinking is much different than when you were a relatively innocent six.

I've read the books, and I don't think that "Film Ender" would have the requisite innocence for his part in what happened.

-- and frankly, I can't get past those facial tattoos adorning Kingsley's face. Kingsley doesn't seem to change much (well, except for his insistence on being referred to as "Sir Ben". Seriously)

Harrison Ford just grew old and ugly. That's why he's no longer the "leading man" in the movies anymore.