Any reviews on ENDER'S GAME?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dunno, MZZZ and a lot of ppl-critics, etc-have said it is a very good movie

We all have hatred and prejudices-it is in our nature no matter how much we try to educate ourselves out of it

True, but the TYPE of hatreds and WHY we learn to hate things/places/people is where choices come in. Like I said, this movie showed up on a 25 Best Science Fiction Films list I came across on the internet. I was searching for stuff I have not seen or do not have, but are worth having in my collection. If I had not come here to search to see if there was a thread for the review, I might have forgotten why I hadnt seen it.

I dislike Japanese-as I have said elsewhere because of their nearly 1,000yrs (off and on) of attacking their neighbors and stealing everything from art to weapons to the people who made the products. Their actions in the 20th century are unforgivable-particularly since their gov STILL will not say-whole heartedly nor unequivocally- that the 'empire' was responsible for some very nasty stuff from about 1910 -1945

And culturally-throughout history-they have created next to nothing that was/is uniquely Japanese. Whether it was pottery and steel making from China via Korea or modern tech lifted from the US, etc,etc, etc..

I can respect and understand that.

We don't forgo the use of rockets and jets just because the NAZI' invented so much of the tech, but we can still hold the German ppl accountable fro allowing the NAZI rise and their aiding and abetting them
The NAZIs built rockets, we got the actual Rocket Man himself, Von Braun. And the US wasnt playing holier than thou in those days. Many politicians in the US as well as the government were neutral, maybe even in alignment with the NAZIs until they declared war on the United States. We aided and abetted NAZIs like Von Braun because we wanted his technology. The Hindenberg, in full NAZI regalia, was making regular flights to the United States. Where do you think this was taken?

Hindenberg 1936.jpg

Try Lakehurst New Jersey (1936). The following year, the Hindenberg exploded over that very same airfield.

As for the money and not wanting to contribute anything to this author-sounds like a familiar arguement I used with the Deen thing and saying no one should still be buying her stuff so she receives no more money--well,as I was rightly informed-she was paid for it a long time ago. I am sure this crackpot author also made his "big money" when he sold the movie options for his books.

It is a collective effect that has the most impact. Reading this thread, which led me to look for the other stuff was enough to make me cease activity towards downloading this movie (and it's free!). My actions are the result of a personal disgust of Orson Scott Card. I can do my part by just sticking by my principles. :)

Same thing with the Muslims--I agree with you on the religious issues--but do you abstain from using algebra or our number system-based on 10-because of their actions/beliefs? Or anything in the Wiki list below? Do you swear off the use of any of those inventions or the tech that sprung from them? Of course we don't--but it doesn't mean we need to embrace Islam

Algebra does not carry the religion of Islam. That it was created by a Muslim doesnt matter. My refusal to interact with Muslims does not extend to their works, unless those works carry something from the cult of Islam.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Years ago I tried to read the book but found it uninteresting enough not to bother. I could probably have sat through a movie of the book out of curiosity but the author's stated beliefs are so repugnant that I can't possibly detach the vileness of OSC from his works. Keep in mind we're not talking about someone who made an off the cuff remark here. We're talking about someone that stridently and repeatedly advocates a demented position on children and homosexuals.

Doesn't matter how good of an "artist" someone is if they turn out to be a genuine crack pot like OSC or say Mel Gibson for instance. Gibson is a good actor but his bizarre antisemitic bent is just too weird to ignore. It makes no sense the same way Card's homophobia and weird fixation on children makes no sense. If you're a rational person eventually, as a fan, you get turned-off to giving these people money and attention. They are profoundly mentally ill and that is hardly appealing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
True, but the TYPE of hatreds and WHY we learn to hate things/places/people is where choices come in. Like I said, this movie showed up on a 25 Best Science Fiction Films list I came across on the internet. I was searching for stuff I have not seen or do not have, but are worth having in my collection. If I had not come here to search to see if there was a thread for the review, I might have forgotten why I hadnt seen it.

I can respect and understand that.

The NAZIs built rockets, we got the actual Rocket Man himself, Von Braun. And the US wasnt playing holier than thou in those days. Many politicians in the US as well as the government were neutral, maybe even in alignment with the NAZIs until they declared war on the United States. We aided and abetted NAZIs like Von Braun because we wanted his technology. The Hindenberg, in full NAZI regalia, was making regular flights to the United States. Where do you think this was taken?

View attachment 29599

Try Lakehurst New Jersey (1936). The following year, the Hindenberg exploded over that very same airfield.

It is a collective effect that has the most impact. Reading this thread, which led me to look for the other stuff was enough to make me cease activity towards downloading this movie (and it's free!). My actions are the result of a personal disgust of Orson Scott Card. I can do my part by just sticking by my principles. :)

Algebra does not carry the religion of Islam. That it was created by a Muslim doesnt matter. My refusal to interact with Muslims does not extend to their works, unless those works carry something from the cult of Islam.

Yes, the American hypocrisy regarding the NAZIs is quite the conundrum wasn't it?

We had the American Nazi party--the Bund- in many American cities and they had "youth camps" set up near NYC in the 30's. It was all legal and legit until of course Dec 7th came

I posted about this in the thread on NAZI weapons

And yeah-Lakehurst Naval Base (now Joint base Dix/McGuire/ Lakehurst) was a destination for me an my family when we lived in Jersey. At that time, you could walk the actual ground where it burned and still see crap like bits of metal, rivets, screws, etc--all scorched and laying around--and plenty of Sailors standing security making sure no one picked souvenirs- Don't know if it is still an oped tourist site though

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, the American hypocrisy regarding the NAZIs is quite the conundrum wasn't it?

We had the American Nazi party--the Bund- in many American cities and they had "youth camps" set up near NYC in the 30's. It was all legal and legit until of course Dec 7th came

I posted about this in the thread on NAZI weapons

And yeah-Lakehurst Naval Base (now Joint base Dix/McGuire/ Lakehurst) was a destination for me an my family when we lived in Jersey. At that time, you could walk the actual ground where it burned and still see crap like bits of metal, rivets, screws, etc--all scorched and laying around--and plenty of Sailors standing security making sure no one picked souvenirs- Don't know if it is still an oped tourist site though

It was open to the public when I was in as well. I have a personal fascination with Airships so I was very interested in visiting too. Unfortunately, the field where the debris and memorial were had been rained on, so we did not explore the site extensively. But the hanger museum was open, so I saw some of the other cool stuff in there. NAES Lakehurst was dissolved and the base became a joint base, combined from two other Naval bases which were closed and rolled into this command now as NAS Lakehurst. The Hindenberg Memorial is still there. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It was open to the public when I was in as well. I have a personal fascination with Airships so I was very interested in visiting too. Unfortunately, the field where the debris and memorial were had been rained on, so we did not explore the site extensively. But the hanger museum was open, so I saw some of the other cool stuff in there. NAES Lakehurst was dissolved and the base became a joint base, combined from two other Naval bases which were closed and rolled into this command now as NAS Lakehurst. The Hindenberg Memorial is still there. :)

Just fyi/interesting to know stuff--some 'brainiac' about 10 yrs ago, thought it would be good to combine bases of different service-even if not geographically co-located/ share boundaries. All that divides F Dix from Macguire AFB is the PX and Commissary parking lot--Lakehurst is up the road

So instead of 'Ft Dix, Macguire AFB and NAS Lakehurst it is now one entity under one joint command as "JB-MDL". They are all over the country where possible.

The joint basing was meant to save money by eliminating command infrastructure--those civilian and military jobs that are needed to run a base (police, firefighters, construction maintenance,etc). It has instead cost more money in some cases where new equipment and the like was needed to standardized everyone

It is just another step in the 'Canada-ization' of our military= one department with several special branches

http://www.jointbasemdl.af.mil/index.asp

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
there are plenty of performers/authors I don't bother with because of their attitudes. It doesn't really "hurt" them - I am just one consumer. But at least I don't waste my entertainment dollars on them. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
there are plenty of performers/authors I don't bother with because of their attitudes. It doesn't really "hurt" them - I am just one consumer. But at least I don't waste my entertainment dollars on them. :)

That is me too. Mark Wahlberg is one of them, and I recently added Ridley Scott to that list too.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That is me too. Mark Wahlberg is one of them, and I recently added Ridley Scott to that list too.

I can understand Mark Turdberg but why Ridley Scott? Of course Prometheus was a horrible piece of garbage that should never have been made, but other than that I'm unaware of Mr. Scott's shortcomings. :daniel_new004:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can understand Mark Turdberg but why Ridley Scott? Of course Prometheus was a horrible piece of garbage that should never have been made, but other than that I'm unaware of Mr. Scott's shortcomings. :daniel_new004:

Both are racists.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
So is Ted Nugent, for that matter. Did you see what's trending on what Rumsfeld said about Obama? His choice of words is questionable, at the very least.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So is Ted Nugent, for that matter. Did you see what's trending on what Rumsfeld said about Obama? His choice of words is questionable, at the very least.

Yep, I did see that. I have been consciously avoiding all discussions about race here because they get so ugly (and so do I). :) I would LOVE to discuss the 63 year old man in West Virginia who shot two black brothers with families and children ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY: http://thegrio.com/2014/01/29/white-west-virginia-man-kills-innocent-black-neighbors/

But suffice it to say that Ridley Scott is beyond being just a racist...he is a supremacist.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I read about that dickhead, OM1. The whole being "frightened/intimidated/threatened" excuse/defense needs to be shown for the bs that it is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I read about that dickhead, OM1. The whole being "frightened/intimidated/threatened" excuse/defense needs to be shown for the bs that it is.

I have avoided discussing it because of Jim and I know how I get when those threads get going. :) But gone forever are the days where I will view the works of evil people voluntarily. Wasnt there an episode in Voyager where Gul Mosette (a Cardassian war criminal) was used as a hologram to do surgery on B'Elanna but she and others wanted to refuse because of the man behind the procedure? I will not give comfort to evil. I will not watch anything created by people I despise.