Any reviews on ENDER'S GAME?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
By paying to see this movie and bringing up profits on the thing, it would encourage the studio to make the sequels, and I'm fairly certain that OSC hasn't sold the rights yet on THOSE books.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
had to say it twice eh?
--- merged: Nov 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM ---
or is this signs of mental insanity on your own part? ie multiple personality disorder?

:wanking:

Sorry, I thought I was replying to a Swede and simply repeated myself cuz we all know you cod fish gobbling bastards are slow on the uptake. :winking0052:

Sorry, I thought I was replying to a Swede and simply repeated myself cuz we all know you cod fish gobbling bastards are slow on the uptake. :winking0052:

Last edited by a moderator:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
nope, I don't plan on seeing this film. My friends asked me if I was interested, I declined their offer by saying "it's not my cup of tea". By the way isn't the first film a copy of Running man? I read reviews by other people saying that it was a rip off of it.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Ender's Game? First film? Uh...

The novel is about a 6 year old boy sent to a military training station in space to kill "evil" bugs. The movie raises the age of the kids by at least 4 years.

This is a movie based on the first book in a series of novels. The novel was written by a virulently anti-gay ("let's put 'em in camps"), racist ("Obama is Hitler") prick.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ender's Game? First film? Uh...

The novel is about a 6 year old boy sent to a military training station in space to kill "evil" bugs. The movie raises the age of the kids by at least 4 years.

This is a movie based on the first book in a series of novels. The novel was written by a virulently anti-gay ("let's put 'em in camps"), racist ("Obama is Hitler") prick.

Don't forget his neurotic pedo fixation (wrapped up in a "Gay sex will kill you!" thematic package):

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/07/sci...es_fan_fiction_the_homosexual_agenda_partner/
Songmaster. Songmaster was Card’s attempt to show that he could write fairly about gay people—more specifically, gay men, since his writing seems to pay little attention to lesbians. However, Card’s well-meaning (sort of) attempt at depicting homosexual love is muddied by the creepy overtones. The main gay love story features a young man who was groomed to be mostly homosexual in a pederasty-based society similar to Ancient Greece. He falls in love with a 15-year-old castrati.

To make things worse, the 15-year-old has the body of a10-year-old. To make things even worse, when they finally have sex, the 15-year-old in a 10-year-old’s body loses his virginity, only to nearly die because of a plot point that leaves him unable to have sex ever again. Card addressed Songmaster in his 1990 essay, and described the relationship as a “mutually self-destructive path”:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Don't forget his neurotic pedo fixation (wrapped up in a "Gay sex will kill you!" thematic package):

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/07/sci...es_fan_fiction_the_homosexual_agenda_partner/
Songmaster. Songmaster was Card’s attempt to show that he could write fairly about gay people—more specifically, gay men, since his writing seems to pay little attention to lesbians. However, Card’s well-meaning (sort of) attempt at depicting homosexual love is muddied by the creepy overtones. The main gay love story features a young man who was groomed to be mostly homosexual in a pederasty-based society similar to Ancient Greece. He falls in love with a 15-year-old castrati.

To make things worse, the 15-year-old has the body of a10-year-old. To make things even worse, when they finally have sex, the 15-year-old in a 10-year-old’s body loses his virginity, only to nearly die because of a plot point that leaves him unable to have sex ever again. Card addressed Songmaster in his 1990 essay, and described the relationship as a “mutually self-destructive path”:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A little reading on Orson Scott Card left me completely creeped out. This author has some....personal issues. :shame:. Suddenly, Im uninterested in Ender's Game.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish I had remembered I wrote this. I just downloaded this movie because it was on a list for "25 Best Scifi Movies". While it was downloading, I wanted to search the forums for reviews and I see these comments including my own which reminded me that I dont really want to see it...knowing what I know about Card. Plus this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/orson-scott-card-racist-obama_n_3762891.html

And from his own flapping lips:

Needless to say, I stopped the download and deleted the file. What a loathsome person. I would bet my ass that he is a member of the Tea Party. I have heard all that same rhetoric before, from the Tea Party.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is there any of his homophobia in the book or the movie ("homophobia" what a silly word= 'fear of man')?

I think if anyone looked into the personal lives of many famous ppl they may find something they do not agree with or like-it shouldn't effect the product they make unless that disliked personal trait "bleeds into" their product (book, movie, tv show, etc)

It is not that big of a separation between the stupid and now vetoed Arizona "religious" law (where someone could reject service to any customer who were gay, or had any other trait that was against the business owner's "religious" belief)-and rejecting a book or movie simply because one doesn't agree with the person's personal views that have nothing to do with their product

In the end it is a personal choice (to "hate" gays or muslims or jews or any ethnicity or culture) and I support one's personal choices, however, it is all discrimination of some type.

(and yes-to forestall the charge of "pot calling black" on me, I fully accept the fact that my dislike of the Japanese is discrimination-but I do not let it stop me from enjoying any Japanese product or entertainment if it is good)

As to the movie=is it any good? does it deserve the acclaim it has received? let the movie be judged on the quality of its content instead of the stupidity of the man who wrote the book it is based on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is there any of his homophobia in the book or the movie ("homophobia" what a silly word= 'fear of man')?

I think if anyone looked into the personal lives of many famous ppl they may find something they do not agree with or like-it shouldn't effect the product they make unless that disliked personal trait "bleeds into" their product (book, movie, tv show, etc)

That is really not possible. Writers write what they know, what they imagine and what they see in real life or their mind's eye. But the mind of the man is at the center of all things he creates. This is why people are held to account for the things they say and do, and why an ill-worded Facebook comment can get you fired from your job or a ridiculously racist moronic rant can make people not want to see any of your work or listen to anything you say. I refuse to watch the movie because I do not like it's creator. I cannot divorce the work from the artist.

It is not that big of a separation between the stupid and now vetoed Arizona "religious" law (where someone could reject service to any customer who were gay, or had any other trait that was against the business owner's "religious" belief)-and rejecting a book or movie simply because one doesn't agree with the person's personal views that have nothing to do with their product

Unlike a public place of business which accepts payment for services or goods, movies and movie choices are not bound by federal laws of civil rights or equal opportunity. If people dont like a movie, they will not go to see it. This applies to actors and actresses and producers and directors in movies as well. Look what happened to Mel Gibson.

In the end it is a personal choice (to "hate" gays or muslims or jews or any ethnicity or culture) and I support one's personal choices, however, it is all discrimination of some type.

(and yes-to forestall the charge of "pot calling black" on me, I fully accept the fact that my dislike of the Japanese is discrimination-but I do not let it stop me from enjoying any Japanese product or entertainment if it is good)

As to the movieis it any good? does it deserve the acclaim it has received? let the movie be judged on the quality of its content instead of the stupidity of the man who wrote the book it is based on.

Oh man...you are okay with backsliding on your core beliefs? I can respect your revulsion to the Japanese (for whatever reason you have), but why would you buy their products or drive their cars KNOWINGLY? I have a similar feeling about Muslims (for my own personal reasons). I dont care what "race" they are, where they are from or how nice they are supposed to be. As soon as they demonstrate that they are a practicing Muslim or identify as Muslim, thats it. Meeting over. I do not interact with them or befriend them, I will not speak to them on the street or do business with them. I will not allow them to wash my car, check me out at the cashier in a market, etc etc etc. I do not trust them as far as I can spit.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

As to the movie=is it any good? does it deserve the acclaim it has received? let the movie be judged on the quality of its content instead of the stupidity of the man who wrote the book it is based on.
I can separate the author from the work from the movie. The movie was good. Fairly good adaptation of the book. To me, best sci-fi movie of last year (the other ones I've watched were Oblivion, Elysium, and something else that I've forgotten the name of).

Almost all actors are narcissistic to various degrees. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch their movies due to their personal aspects. The movie's not a reflection of their personal aspects. The story in Ender's Game was pretty good and makes you think about certain aspects, some of which contradicts the author's current views. In fact, it seems to me more like those people that are vehemently outspoken regarding a certain stance, but are themselves of that particular stance. Kind of like how some people are extremely homophobic but only because they are denying their own homosexuality. His work seems to be of that nature. Regardless, think people should separate the person from the movie cause the movie was pretty good. Book was of course better cause of the details and the impact was more so.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I won't read anything else by OSC, now that I know his beliefs. Nor will I watch anything that has any chance of giving him royalties.

He doesn't deserve my money -- and the actors who appeared in the movie have already been paid, so my not wanting to see the movie isn't going to affect their wallets.

And its gross was $112,231,473, which isn't much money at all, considering it cost $110,000,000 to make it. ;)

Yes, the numbers cheer me to no end. They made diddly/squat on it.

) (The idiot who claims it had a good return is apparently oblivious to the fact that "making" $2m on a movie really isn't a "good" thing in the scheme of things)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I won't read anything else by OSC, now that I know his beliefs. Nor will I watch anything that has any chance of giving him royalties.

He doesn't deserve my money -- and the actors who appeared in the movie have already been paid, so my not wanting to see the movie isn't going to affect their wallets.

And its gross was $112,231,473, which isn't much money at all, considering it cost $110,000,000 to make it. ;)

Yes, the numbers cheer me to no end. They made diddly/squat on it.

) (The idiot who claims it had a good return is apparently oblivious to the fact that "making" $2m on a movie really isn't a "good" thing in the scheme of things)

LMAO! A lousy 2 million??? That wouldnt pay for a single episode of SGU. :) Worse yet, Lionsgate wanted this to be a FRANCHISE. Somehow, I dont see that happening. Too many people will refuse to watch because of OSC.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
From what I saw of the previews of the movie, they jacked Ender's age by at least 6 years, to make him about 12.

Yes, in the novel, Ender was a whopping 6 years old when they sent him to Battle School and he learned how to destroy an entire species.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From what I saw of the previews of the movie, they jacked Ender's age by at least 6 years, to make him about 12.

Yes, in the novel, Ender was a whopping 6 years old when they sent him to Battle School and he learned how to destroy an entire species.

All I could think when I saw the trailer was "Children". I love children, but Im just not buying it. They are TOO young. And what is the dynamic supposed to be between Harrison Ford and this little tyke? No, nevermind. I dont really want to know. :shame:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It didn't help the film that OSC kept opening his freaking mouth in public places with his brand of insanity before and after the film's release. The piece de resistance in the whole fiasco was when he wrote a letter complaining about all the nasty "intolerant" gays.

Lionsgate spent a pile of money on trying to run interference, but may have finally thrown up their hands and through creative accounting, claimed it as a loss as the end of the year.

I'd have done that, myself.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That is really not possible. Writers write what they know, what they imagine and what they see in real life or their mind's eye. But the mind of the man is at the center of all things he creates. This is why people are held to account for the things they say and do, and why an ill-worded Facebook comment can get you fired from your job or a ridiculously racist moronic rant can make people not want to see any of your work or listen to anything you say. I refuse to watch the movie because I do not like it's creator. I cannot divorce the work from the artist.

Unlike a public place of business which accepts payment for services or goods, movies and movie choices are not bound by federal laws of civil rights or equal opportunity. If people dont like a movie, they will not go to see it. This applies to actors and actresses and producers and directors in movies as well. Look what happened to Mel Gibson.

Oh man...you are okay with backsliding on your core beliefs? I can respect your revulsion to the Japanese (for whatever reason you have), but why would you buy their products or drive their cars KNOWINGLY? I have a similar feeling about Muslims (for my own personal reasons). I dont care what "race" they are, where they are from or how nice they are supposed to be. As soon as they demonstrate that they are a practicing Muslim or identify as Muslim, thats it. Meeting over. I do not interact with them or befriend them, I will not speak to them on the street or do business with them. I will not allow them to wash my car, check me out at the cashier in a market, etc etc etc. I do not trust them as far as I can spit.

I dunno, MZZZ and a lot of ppl-critics, etc-have said it is a very good movie

We all have hatred and prejudices-it is in our nature no matter how much we try to educate ourselves out of it

I dislike Japanese-as I have said elsewhere because of their nearly 1,000yrs (off and on) of attacking their neighbors and stealing everything from art to weapons to the people who made the products. Their actions in the 20th century are unforgivable-particularly since their gov STILL will not say-whole heartedly nor unequivocally- that the 'empire' was responsible for some very nasty stuff from about 1910 -1945

And culturally-throughout history-they have created next to nothing that was/is uniquely Japanese. Whether it was pottery and steel making from China via Korea or modern tech lifted from the US, etc,etc, etc..

We don't forgo the use of rockets and jets just because the NAZI' invented so much of the tech, but we can still hold the German ppl accountable fro allowing the NAZI rise and their aiding and abetting them

As for the money and not wanting to contribute anything to this author-sounds like a familiar arguement I used with the Deen thing and saying no one should still be buying her stuff so she receives no more money--well,as I was rightly informed-she was paid for it a long time ago. I am sure this crackpot author also made his "big money" when he sold the movie options for his books.

Same thing with the Muslims--I agree with you on the religious issues--but do you abstain from using algebra or our number system-based on 10-because of their actions/beliefs? Or anything in the Wiki list below? Do you swear off the use of any of those inventions or the tech that sprung from them? Of course we don't--but it doesn't mean we need to embrace Islam