Alrighty... where is the Destiny going, anyway?

G

Graybrew1

oh i have read it darling ;) and no you def didnt make me mad ;) trust me. i just said my oppinion on sgu is set in stone and it differs slightly from yours but a few months back i had a similar view of it ;)

Yeah, I just got very disappointed with it after Hope, My hopes were originally alot higher than yours I suppose. So, It fell harder and faster from grace for me.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Yeah, I just got very disappointed with it after Hope, My hopes were originally alot higher than yours I suppose. So, It fell harder and faster from grace for me.

personally i hated it from the go and it wasnt untill these last 10 eps of s2 it started to swing around to being "ok" for me, and i was gutted when i heard that SGA was history as it had become a routine to allways have that to watch as an escape from reality you know..
anyway if sgu had continued in the manner the last few eps did i guess it would have grown even more on me but trust me i am never watching sgus s1 again :P

G

Graybrew1

personally i hated it from the go and it wasnt untill these last 10 eps of s2 it started to swing around to being "ok" for me, and i was gutted when i heard that SGA was history as it had become a routine to allways have that to watch as an escape from reality you know..
anyway if sgu had continued in the manner the last few eps did i guess it would have grown even more on me but trust me i am never watching sgus s1 again :P

No Biggie, just glad the Big mean green mod man is not upset with me. :D Looking forward to new scifi shows to come. fingers crossed.
Back Ot, have no bloody idea where destiny was going. LOL

OMNI

No Biggie, just glad the Big mean green mod man is not upset with me. :D Looking forward to new scifi shows to come. fingers crossed.
Back Ot, have no bloody idea where destiny was going. LOL
like ive said if im angry im REALLY angry so it would be a dead give away i do get grumpy tho so dont confuse that with anger ;)
and yes back OT :P
brad wright does tho according to JM hopefully he will reaveal that at some point but the mozz has said he wont so hopefully BW will eventually fill us in.

G

Graybrew1

like ive said if im angry im REALLY angry so it would be a dead give away i do get grumpy tho so dont confuse that with anger ;)
and yes back OT :P
brad wright does tho according to JM hopefully he will reaveal that at some point but the mozz has said he wont so hopefully BW will eventually fill us in.

It should be interesting to hear, hope it has something to do with the Ancients.

OMNI

It should be interesting to hear, hope it has something to do with the Ancients.
hopefully :P as ascension and the ancients was my fave storyline :)
i do wonder tho is an ascended being aware of the "fingerprint"? or is it related somehow... anyhoo hpefully well find out :)

G

Graybrew1

hopefully :P as ascension and the ancients was my fave storyline :)
i do wonder tho is an ascended being aware of the "fingerprint"? or is it related somehow... anyhoo hpefully well find out :)

Mine too, that was the biggest thing I was originally excited about with SGU, and never got any answers yet.

Hopefully, soon. :)

OMNI

Mine too, that was the biggest thing I was originally excited about with SGU, and never got any answers yet.

Hopefully, soon. :)
:)
im still trying to ascend myself :P but atm im just feeling tired 5:35am here now LOL!

OMNI

sorry, they make you guys work late. 1138 here.
noone is forcing me :P and im up at this hour most of the time anyway as i prefer the silence of night,
but im going to hit the sack now before i get hungry again.

G

Graybrew1

noone is forcing me :P and im up at this hour most of the time anyway as i prefer the silence of night,
but im going to hit the sack now before i get hungry again.

I do the same thing, I avoid the kitchen so I won't want to eat.
Ascend away. LOL

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I'm gonna have to agree with Red Mage on that one, although they could've just said the ship was out there because the Ancients wanted to explore the universe or something. The best guess I have for why the ship is moving around in the show is to get as much data on the pattern by picking up tiny variations caused by shifts in position, the density of matter in a given area, etc...
This was alluded to in "Gauntlet" by Rush when he presents arguments against skipping 2/3 of the galaxy on their journey. Whether it was a way out again after the writers heard our criticism - who knows. In any case, one would have to question that if that were really true about the mission, then why haven't we seen any of the "gathering of data" in SGU? Why hasn't there even been a mention of somebody looking at what the ship had already stored? If the crew was supposed to "complete the mission", which is what they kept saying was a reason for staying on board and for the show to keep going, surely there would have been SOME interest in the work in progress... But alas, I am again assuming SGU was a sci-fi show, whereas it was mainly a drama with backdrop elements of sci-fi, fantasy and soap, and delving into or even mentioning such details would only have distracted from the show's main focus.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
This was alluded to in "Gauntlet" by Rush when he presents arguments against skipping 2/3 of the galaxy on their journey. Whether it was a way out again after the writers heard our criticism - who knows. In any case, one would have to question that if that were really true about the mission, then why haven't we seen any of the "gathering of data" in SGU? Why hasn't there even been a mention of somebody looking at what the ship had already stored? If the crew was supposed to "complete the mission", which is what they kept saying was a reason for staying on board and for the show to keep going, surely there would have been SOME interest in the work in progress... But alas, I am again assuming SGU was a sci-fi show, whereas it was mainly a drama with backdrop elements of sci-fi, fantasy and soap, and delving into or even mentioning such details would only have distracted from the show's main focus.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH pointing out inconsistancies just make TPTW squirm and have upset tummies. :laughing: remember this was the best show EVAHHHHHH!!! :facepalm:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I think the issue was that Brad originally planned this as a movie. Hence the actual mission is essentially something that can only be shown at the end; the story before that is about the crew and what happens on the way to that mission.

I think that accounts for the slow pace (at least at the start) as the idea was to focus on the people and build them up for the endgame throughout the show. It's not typical stargate, but it's still about what happens when people go through the gate.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I think the issue was that Brad originally planned this as a movie. Hence the actual mission is essentially something that can only be shown at the end; the story before that is about the crew and what happens on the way to that mission.

I think that accounts for the slow pace (at least at the start) as the idea was to focus on the people and build them up for the endgame throughout the show. It's not typical stargate, but it's still about what happens when people go through the gate.

source? i never heard that line of BS before.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I dunno. Sounds convenient. He had the top & bottom wafer and decided to fill in the creamy center on the fly without knowing the ingredients or the quantity just to make a cookie last as long as possible. If that were the case, then, serious EPIC FAIL and should never have attempted to stretch a 2 hour story out to 5 years.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
source? i never heard that line of BS before.

I honestly can't remember, possibly joe's blog (if anyone knows where i read it please let me know :)).

There was a line a two about how the show was pitched to MGM as a movie, then it ended up being developed into a TV show.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I honestly can't remember, possibly joe's blog (if anyone knows where i read it please let me know :)).

There was a line a two about how the show was pitched to MGM as a movie, then it ended up being developed into a TV show.

sorry...I won't put any credence in that until i see the source! ;)

the destiny is going straight to the island of unwanted tv shows. ;)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
sorry...I won't put any credence in that until i see the source! ;)

the destiny is going straight to the island of unwanted tv shows. ;)
It's true, I saw the interview as well. :roll:

Brad said he and Cooper had been pitching SGU as a movie to (MGM or Syfy?), presumably when they got bored of SG and left Atlantis to Mallozzi. He said (MGM or Syfy) came back at them and said what they really wanted out of SGU was a TV series, not a movie.

Now, that's not to say it's true and that BW hadn't been scheming to set up SGU as a replacement for SG1 from the beginning, but anyway that's what he said pretty much before SGU hit the air and things started going awry.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's true, I saw the interview as well. :roll:

Brad said he and Cooper had been pitching SGU as a movie to (MGM or Syfy?), presumably when they got bored of SG and left Atlantis to Mallozzi. He said (MGM or Syfy) came back at them and said what they really wanted out of SGU was a TV series, not a movie.

Now, that's not to say it's true and that BW hadn't been scheming to set up SGU as a replacement for SG1 from the beginning, but anyway that's what he said pretty much before SGU hit the air and things started going awry.

Let's say it is true, that still doesn't account for how unspeakably bad SGU was as a show. I'm sure MGM didn't say to BW/RC "Give us SGU as a show and make it as crappy as you can please." So in many respects BW's "excuse" here is rather moot. Quite simply MGM and SyFy were interested in more of the same from the Stargate concept because it was so successful.

As an aside I have to wonder how much different the pitched SGU movie would have been compared to the show. Obviously they couldn't have had all that horrible, lame drama. In fact, I doubt they could have had half the characters that they did as there simply wouldn't have been time to include them all in the story.